Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,741 members, 7,851,551 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 10:31 PM

How Are You And Your Family Faring During This Election Period? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Are You And Your Family Faring During This Election Period? (446 Views)

18 States Where Jonathan Might Lose This Election - Adedayo Ademuwagun / Y Did GEJ Wait For Election Period To Mount An Offensive Against Boko Boys / Seven Categories Of Nigerians During This Election Period. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Are You And Your Family Faring During This Election Period? by hydroking23(m): 5:54pm On Feb 27, 2015
I'm making this thread to get an idea of how people are faring in their day to day lives while our leaders and aspirant leaders are busy fighting and abusing themselves prior to the upcoming elections. As for me, I moved to Port Harcourt Nigeria in 2008 from the U.S. and got a job at a Rivers State Government agency. It was a challenging transition, but things started of very well. Our annual budgets were released on time, we executed many projects in various sectors of the economy, and our work was the talk of the town and of Nigeria for 5+ years. Our salaries were ALWAYS paid on time, a rare event in Nigeria. I got married, I was able to travel every so often, I bought a new 2 bedroom flat and bought a car. My wife and I lived a very modest yet comfortable life. Enter 2013. Things started to go down hill. The job that I had slowly but surely started to decline. Our annual Budget wasn't flowing as usual and salaries started to come late. Due to lack of funds we weren't able to execute any new projects and we were struggling to close out existing projects. The constant dilemma was, cut salaries or abandon execution on projects? My office dried up faster than you could imagine. But it wasn't just my office, Government agencies across the state and even in nearby states were facing similar circumstances. It was at this point I started to consider prospects of looking for another job before things got worse financially for me and my family. I traveled back to the U.S. and as God would have it, I was fortunate to secure a job back in the U.S.

The economic recession that had ravaged the U.S. had run it's course, and employment opportunities started to come back to America. Initially I was reluctant to leave, but I knew it was for the best because I was guaranteed a steady and timely paycheck, job security, and an unbiased un-politically motivated working environment. My wife told me to at least test out the job while she holds down the fort in PH. In the early stages of 2014 I began to notice that the money I was sending my wife, approx $500 every two weeks was starting to get higher and higher in the naira equivalent. When I started my new Job in April of 2014, the first money I sent to Nigeria was approx N80,000. As the year went on, that amount gradually rose to 85k, then to 91k and as of last week the money my wife received was 100k naira just from the ordinary $500 I send! This was good news! I make dollars so it's to our benefit, but she normally tells me about the complaints of her friends and family of the rising cost of food in the market, and just recently fuel was selling in PH for N100 per liter, that was after the price was reduced to about 87. I was confused. Everywhere around the world, the price of fuel is dropped like crazy. When I first came back to the U.S. the price for fuel was close to $4.00 a gallon and in just as of last week it has dropped to barely $2.00 a gallon. So why would the cost of fuel in Nigeria reduce by such a small amount? Only to now rise again? What is really happening?

I normally read the Nigerian newspapers online and this forum to get the gist of what is happening in Nigeria, and I hear these reports from the Federal government saying that the Nigerian economy is strong and is booming, then I hear the opposition scream that trillions and trillions of Naira have been stolen and the economy is on the verge of collapse. Such a confusing situation!! From my own experience, I don't get the sense that the economy is in such good shape. With A currency that is falling in value every day, rising cost of goods, government agencies losing their funding. What is really happening? Do any of you have similar stories? How are you all faring? Do these people who are ready to kill themselves for our votes and support, really have us in mind as they strive to lead Nigeria? This is our country, so let's leave all the abuse and bad mouthing and let's gist about the real situation on ground that we're all facing in our everyday lives!

I can't wait hear all of your feedback cheesy
Re: How Are You And Your Family Faring During This Election Period? by Nobody: 5:56pm On Feb 27, 2015
Gej till buhari is cured of cancer cum stroke undecided
Re: How Are You And Your Family Faring During This Election Period? by ishiamu(m): 6:01pm On Feb 27, 2015
cheesy. Gej till buhari takes pics/ selfie with he's classmate

Gej till buhari snap with his school sons (boko haram members) and shekau his advisor on security issues
Re: How Are You And Your Family Faring During This Election Period? by hydroking23(m): 6:04pm On Feb 27, 2015
I would assume by your responses, you are all living the good life then... undecided

(1) (Reply)

President Goodluck Jonathan Is Ready For Buhari - Says PDP / 74 Men, 20 Children Killed For Refusing To Join Boko Haram / Atiku Abubakar Denies Leaving APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.