Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,893 members, 7,866,404 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 04:52 PM

A Problem With Nairaland And How To Fix It - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Problem With Nairaland And How To Fix It (702 Views)

David Mark: Patience Jonathan's Problem With Tambuwal Affected Jonathan At Poll / Jonathan: "Amaechi Have Problem With Patience My Wife Not Me" / Man Puts A Big Crocodile In Pothole After Government Refused To Fix It [PHOTOS] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Problem With Nairaland And How To Fix It by Nobody: 12:24am On Feb 28, 2015
Seun this is not an insult so please
do not close the thread, this is a public discourse
and i will like to hear members view if any

Under my old alias i have been a member here since 2007
so i have a right to be heard. thanks.

This is just an observation i want to tackle
Nairaland politics has lost its path
because it had one
i remember user generated contents flooded the politics
section, healthy debates, respect for ethnicity was high
even some commentaries here were so very good essays not written to
direct you to one blog or online newspaper. user contents was 95% of what makes fp
and politics board

But every topic i see now is just news, news, news and references
are to external links. There was a time original members post that were
not linked to any external link were promoted more than these commercial threads

does this means we have more of spectators than really having
a vibrant politics section? so if we have more of spectators, who are the ones
generating what we read and fight over?

So it makes it easier for someone controlling the news to control
inflow of information to nairaland, and as new information comes
it has to be on front page for the audience
but most of it are just news, and not user generated contents

i implore the Administrator to encourage user generated contents, than
stuff linked to some blog or newspaper site, and even worse some are just pictures that are
even linked to a page on an external blog

I hope the admin will listen to my suggestion and
act accordingly

One love
Re: A Problem With Nairaland And How To Fix It by Davotee(m): 12:30am On Feb 28, 2015
Yea
Re: A Problem With Nairaland And How To Fix It by Nobody: 12:37am On Feb 28, 2015
They won't listen,they are as clueless as Jonathan

1 Like

Re: A Problem With Nairaland And How To Fix It by alizenbohr: 1:15am On Feb 28, 2015
Diluminati,

I'm not holding brief for Seun but I think what brought about the need for news verification - if I would call it so - from external news sites was borne out of 2 main issues:

1. Plagiarism: Before, people would publish works that were not originally theirs and take credit without acknowledging the source. The need for 'sauce' before moving any story to FP has put this in check.

2. Rumours/Lies: I may not have been here as long as you have, but I have experienced my own fair share of 'shocking revelations' that only turned out to be hoax & propaganda; hence the need for a reliable source for every FP story.

About originality and meaningful discuss...

I believe you might agree with me that the elections (since 2013) has given Nairaland so much exposure, even among government circles, that it has become a tool for campaign, mudslinging, slander, ... and that all manner of people both those on payroll or those driven by personal prejudice see this place as an avenue to prove their money's worth or display their 'devotion'.

Just give it some time after elections (if it holds), and you will be surprised at the decorum that would return to Nairaland.
Re: A Problem With Nairaland And How To Fix It by dustmalik: 1:27am On Feb 28, 2015
alizenbohr:
Diluminati,
I'm not holding brief for Seun but I think what brought about the need for verification - if I would call it so - from external news sites was borne out of 2 main issues:

1. Plagiarism:

2. Rumours/Lies:

T
You are right. As much as I would love to see user generated contents based on truth without bias, the fact is that, most of the user generated contents we see on Nairaland these days are singularly aimed to spread propaganda, and this is absolutely not the time to be promoting such contents, especially as we head towards an important election.
Re: A Problem With Nairaland And How To Fix It by alizenbohr: 1:33am On Feb 28, 2015
dustmalik:

You are right. As much as I would love to see user generated contents based on truth without bias, the fact is that, most of the user generated contents we see on Nairaland these days are singularly aimed to spread propaganda, and this is absolutely not the time to be promoting such contents, especially as we head towards an important election.

True.

You caught me while I was still typing.
Re: A Problem With Nairaland And How To Fix It by Nobody: 1:36am On Feb 28, 2015
dustmalik:

so the admin needs to dig deep for a solution
how do we encourage healthy political debates and commentaries not
blogs and magazine covers
Re: A Problem With Nairaland And How To Fix It by HrtBrkSteve(m): 1:37am On Feb 28, 2015
I register barely three months ago too, but seriously when i read or view some topics, I just feel like TAAAA!
Hopefully the mods or whatever they're called will check these excesses out and perhaps, curb 'em.
Re: A Problem With Nairaland And How To Fix It by aresa: 1:38am On Feb 28, 2015
diluminati:
Seun this is not an insult so please
do not close the thread, this is a public discourse
and i will like to hear members view if any

Under my old alias i have been a member here since 2007
so i have a right to be heard. thanks.

This is just an observation i want to tackle
Nairaland politics has lost its path

because it had one
i remember user generated contents flooded the politics
section, healthy debates, respect for ethnicity was high
even some commentaries here were so very good essays not written to
direct you to one blog or online newspaper. user contents was 95% of what makes fp
and politics board

But every topic i see now is just news, news, news and references
are to external links. There was a time original members post that were
not linked to any external link were promoted more than these commercial threads

does this means we have more of spectators than really having
a vibrant politics section? so if we have more of spectators, who are the ones
generating what we read and fight over?

So it makes it easier for someone controlling the news to control
inflow of information to nairaland, and as new information comes
it has to be on front page for the audience
but most of it are just news, and not user generated contents

i implore the Administrator to encourage user generated contents, than
stuff linked to some blog or newspaper site, and even worse some are just pictures that are
even linked to a page on an external blog

I hope the admin will listen to my suggestion and
act accordingly

One love

Trolls and unintelligent posters killed that part of NL.

Posting insightful and thoughtful write up on NL with trolls and unintelligent clowns ridicule and trample all over it time and time again gets too frustrating and annoying...

Nothing is changing till there's effective troll control..
Re: A Problem With Nairaland And How To Fix It by aminashy: 2:06am On Feb 28, 2015
APC WITCHCRAFT BROOM CARRYING PARTY

The Schizophrenic sick Pa Buhari is a terrorist, deranged old brainless super clueless bastard
Apc is boko haram
Thiefnu.bu is a pedophile drug dealer and a cocain sniffer

Buhari can only be president in sambisa and shekau would hand over to him.

Osinbajo is fake and a loafer

Amechi and Fashola are errand boys

1 Like

Re: A Problem With Nairaland And How To Fix It by aresa: 2:10am On Feb 28, 2015
^^^^^^ See what I mean by trolls...

(1) (Reply)

Facts You Should Know About! / Transformation Agenda In Pics / The World Waits (live From Washington DC)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.