Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,345 members, 7,819,223 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:56 PM

Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? (27342 Views)

Why Doctors & Nurses Inject The Buttocks More / Doctors & Nurses, What Sickness Is This? Or Is It HIV? / There Are More Nigerian Nurses In Europe Than In Nigeria – EU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by Emmysteve(m): 7:48pm On Feb 28, 2015
I remember one nurse in one of the popular hospitals in Abuja. The nurse is doing the work as if somebody forced her into the profession. All other nurses were nice and polite except this particular one. Whenever she wants to remove or fix a drip she uses full force... Some nurses really need to get monitored or sent back to the nursing school to learn ethical conducts.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by Ikegift4real(m): 7:48pm On Feb 28, 2015
dats not true .dat is official face. Besides if what u mean is nurses not being too soft to patients is dat de hv stayed close with worst cascading for soo long dat de c every case as mild n would nt seem easy to odas.
BTW na SK eye right this thing (LIKE IF U LIKE SK)

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by Ositawap: 7:56pm On Feb 28, 2015
mehnn..dis is no questions...they are rude cos da do the main work..and d doctor sit around to take the lion share..in salary wise

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by Nten: 7:59pm On Feb 28, 2015
I would have slapped one in the teaching hospital, she left her duties only to start gossiping with a patient she bump into waiting for consultation. She stood akimbo in front of all the patient shouting ontop of her voice while gossiping that some of the elderly patient couldn't hear when they were called in turns to see the doc. They were just mumuring, grumbling and dieing in silence, when i called her attention that she should reduce her loudness or better still go to a corner and continue their discussion so that we can hear our names, that nicompoop told me i must be having an ear infection or deaf and should go to the ear&nose department upstairs. If not for her colleagues that where calming me, the CMD for talk wetin that ediot they find there

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by Rexhandsome(m): 8:01pm On Feb 28, 2015
Nurses should be given the same training customer service reps are given.I went to National hospital Abuja and was disgusted at the attitude of their nurses.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by kolokolobi(m): 8:01pm On Feb 28, 2015
I've had a mixed bag of them attend to me. On one occasion though after being on admission for 9 days and I bore the rudeness of a particular nurse anytime she was on duty. I wrote a thank you letter to the hospital for taking me through the period of my illness. I ended the letter with a vivid description of the unprofessional conduct of this particular nurse making several references which included a particular night I was running a temperature she did not respond to my alarm call only for me to stagger to the ground floor to find her watching Africa magic. At the end of my letter I recommended she be sacked or I will ensure no staff from my organisation used their facility again.
I got a call days later from a female who was sobbing on the other end. She identified herself as the mean nurse at the facility and was on the verge of loosing her job cos of my letter. She apologised and pleaded that I wade into the matter as she was a single mum with a kid to fend for. I responded by telling her that she should know better by treating people nicely while doing her job and reminded her of the many incidents while I was on admission and she was on duty. I extracted from her a promise to turn a good leaf if I was in any way going to change my stand.
I eventually did not withdraw my letter but got some of my collegues who used that same facility to be on the look out while I called the CMD to give her a chance.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by donem: 8:01pm On Feb 28, 2015
Tallesty1:
Dunno for them oo, especially those old and ugly ones wey government no fit sack again.
U mean them chief grand nurses abi nah matrons? grin
Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by chucs: 8:02pm On Feb 28, 2015
Op some nurses are rude..I all boils down to their home training and the school/colleges of nursing attended. Some times in the cause of you work,you encounter some patients and some relatives who are difficult..However,that doesn't justify the unruly behaviour..i'm not the rude type and my mum isn't neither.She is too kind to a fault(a nurse per excellence I call her).

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by IamOpemipo(m): 8:03pm On Feb 28, 2015
Tval:
Not the ones that have B.sc in Nursing science.

And wt has bsc gt to do wt manners? Tink b4 u type bro

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by zingo42(f): 8:03pm On Feb 28, 2015
elobyobi:

So you're justifying their rudeness with their workload eh kwa?
You might as well say market women should shout at their customers because they spend hours under the sun selling their wares. Look there is no job that is not stressful in Nigeria. And there is no excuse for being rude and foul-mouthed except for mental illness.
Nursing schools should revisit their curriculum and add comprehensive lessons on proper etiquette IN AN AFRICAN SETTING...
my dear,idi very correct!
Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by lepasharon(f): 8:05pm On Feb 28, 2015
kolokolobi:
I've had a mix bag of them attend to me. On one occasion though after being on admission for 9 days and I bore the rudeness of a particular nurse anytime she was on duty I wrote a thank you letter to the hospital for taking me through the period of my illness. I ended the letter with a vivid description of the unprofessional conduct of this particular nurse making several references which included a particular night I was running a temperature she did not respond to my alarm call only for me to stagger to the ground floor to find her watching Africa magic. At the end of my letter I recommended she be sacked or I will ensure no staff from my organisation used their facility again.
I got a call days later from a female who was sobbing on the other end. She identified herself as the mean nurse at the facility and was on the verge of loosing her job cos of my letter. She apologised and pleaded that I wade into the matter as she was a single mum with a kid to fend for. I responded by telling her that she should know better by treating people nicely while doing her job and reminded her of the many incidents while I was on admission and she was on duty. I extracted from her a promise to turn a good leaf if I was in any way going to change my stand.
I eventually did not withdraw my letter but got some of my colleges who used that same facility to be on the look out while I called the CMD to give her a chance.

Nice one
Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by IamOpemipo(m): 8:06pm On Feb 28, 2015
MrCork:

....Bro...may they rudes to u coz u r poor (no ofeeense) angry

Tell 'em cork..tell em

No offensie

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by Rexhandsome(m): 8:06pm On Feb 28, 2015
Pamcrest:
Op, u are so on point. I went to visit a colleague who just had her baby and I walked right upon two nurses harassing a young lady in labour. The shouting n insults hurled at her made me cringe....what's more, one nurse was holding a ruler. I walked past in pity for d lass, imagine going thru labour pangs n having to endure such cruel treatment from d very persons who should assist u. Are these nurses not supposed to be care givers? That's so not nice. When I reported to my colleague, she explained that d nurses do that to any woman who whines n cries instead of enduring d labour pains. What!!! cry
Those nurses need retraining, reorientation and strict code of conduct.
My humble submission

That's terrible.Unfortunately, this happens everyday in Nigerian hospitals.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by chucs: 8:07pm On Feb 28, 2015
Op some nurses are rude..It all boils down to their home training and the school/colleges of nursing attended. Some times in the cause of your work,you encounter some patients and some relatives who are difficult..However,that doesn't justify the unruly behaviour..i'm not the rude type and my mum isn't neither.She is too kind to a fault(a nurse per excellence I call her).

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by ronadeola(m): 8:09pm On Feb 28, 2015
Nurses reacting in such a way need treatment and medical attention as they cud b suffering from high BP
Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by Nobody: 8:10pm On Feb 28, 2015
Thats why want to become "Consultants" nurse...
If going by majority of the comments I have seen here, if they become "consultants"..... wahala go dey o
Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by Rexhandsome(m): 8:11pm On Feb 28, 2015
mentorandfriend:
Try and marry one of them. They can be nice and caring, you know...

...till I piss her off
Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by IamOpemipo(m): 8:14pm On Feb 28, 2015
Setaje:

On no condition whatsoever should a nurse or any other health worker be rude to a patient or relative to a patient . Do u think they are happy being there.Not only nurses but some doctors are outright rude. They don't have patience Infact I just started hating doctors too when a relative of mine was admitted. I don't no if it's a Nigerian thing not to act professional. They talk to u anyhow. I think it's a Nigerian thing. The moment they are in a position to be in charge of something. They just become demonic.

U put me in a 27 bedded ward, wt patients of varios serious/life threatnin conditions and som1 dts stable is usin d call lite 2 disturb me..not for somtin important, but to help u pik ur fone on d bedstand...try dt twice and d 3rd time wnt b nice..

Som patient can frustrate hell outta u..esp d 1s in d general ward, wt d stipend dey pay, dey Blv u are automatically dia slave..

Ain't lookin down to no 1, buh patients in d private wards are d coolest.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by yollychika(f): 8:15pm On Feb 28, 2015
No b bank wey u must b nice to retain customers, peeps must sick undecided
Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by mentorandfriend(m): 8:15pm On Feb 28, 2015
Rexhandsome:

...till I piss her off
Choi. Badt guy.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by IYIMAN: 8:21pm On Feb 28, 2015
bushdoc9919:

1,Overwork....the average Nurse is overworked and stressed. Especially in govt hospitals. I have been in hospitals where Madam Nurse is on call 24/7.

And let's be honest....we do not have enough nurses for the entire country.

2.Lack of facilities. Take the patient that is in chronic pain. Overseas....they have pain management down to a tee. In Nigeria...ouch. The poor Nurse has no facilities to manage the patient properly...and it is very easy to feel helpless.

3.Training...you know...they are supposed to train you to communicate with the patient in Nigeria....but they don't (Same for doctors too).

4.Patient's relatives are scared , frightened and confused by their relative's illness.(My mum spent some time in hospital last year....so I know the feeling). And they take that anger out on Nurses and other medical staff. Fuelling the annomisity.

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by IamOpemipo(m): 8:21pm On Feb 28, 2015
Stop complainin and visit standard hospitals..

Most nurses u see fucckin arnd and been lazy or harsh are jus trained auxilarries in white

Go to reddington or lagoon hosp wia u meet reg nurses, u hardly see dem nt doin tins up to standard

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by ekwilliams: 8:22pm On Feb 28, 2015
AGgal:
Not all nurses are rude!

Personally, I'm always very friendly with my patients. Friendly to a fault and sometimes the patients try to take advantage of that.
So, I don't blame the "rude" ones for being rude. Not everyone can take some patient's excesses.

And its not even about the profession but the individuals. Most of my rude colleagues didn't just become rude in nursing, they are naturally rude and lack home training.

There are rude people everywhere. In the market, in the bank, in restraunts, in schools, etc!
. You've got a point there. Rude people are everywhere.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by cinovikthor(m): 8:31pm On Feb 28, 2015
Firstly this nurses u said were smiling at the doctors right? ? lemmi break it down real quick...this nurses are either trynna draw attention from the doctors or wanna beg for money and ur spoiling their show. ....how do u want to collect bone from a dog and expect it to smile back at u??

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by skillzbae(f): 8:32pm On Feb 28, 2015
Very true, dou most of the rude ones are auxilary nurses, i ws jux discusing the matter wit hubby ystade, i ws in d clinic on wednesday nd a tiny silly girl ws talking to pple anyhw both old nd young, wen it got to my turn nd she was rude to me, i gave her a dirty slap, all others composed themselves immediately. I wonder y pple who are supposed to b caring wil b so rude, in a private hospital for dat matter.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by Filmewell(f): 8:34pm On Feb 28, 2015
uplawal:
Me i do report them at PALS i dnt care if they are laid,next time they will behave.
one day u will be reported and no one will cae if u are laid.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by Tval(m): 8:37pm On Feb 28, 2015
IamOpemipo:

And wt has bsc gt to do wt manners? Tink b4 u type bro
Stay your lane bro, i didn't tag you with the post.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by leonshom(m): 8:37pm On Feb 28, 2015
There are no strict policies and procedures, they also lack proper trainings and how to deal with different kinds of patients.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by Spidermon: 8:39pm On Feb 28, 2015
AGgal:
Not all nurses are rude!

Personally, I'm always very friendly with my patients. Friendly to a fault and sometimes the patients try to take advantage of that.
So, I don't blame the "rude" ones for being rude. Not everyone can take some patient's excesses.

And its not even about the profession but the individuals. Most of my rude colleagues didn't just become rude in nursing, they are naturally rude and lack home training.

There are rude people everywhere. In the market, in the bank, in restraunts, in schools, etc!
Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by Spidermon: 8:40pm On Feb 28, 2015
yemicoal:
Most times they act that way if you look broke, some of those nurses are hoes and won't mind giving you a bj on your sick bed as long as u got that cash.. angry angry

Broda, you have knowledge!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by Nobody: 8:41pm On Feb 28, 2015
elobyobi:

So you're justifying their rudeness with their workload eh kwa?
You might as well say market women should shout at their customers because they spend hours under the sun selling their wares. Look there is no job that is not stressful in Nigeria. And there is no excuse for being rude and foul-mouthed except for mental illness.
Nursing schools should revisit their curriculum and add comprehensive lessons on proper etiquette IN AN AFRICAN SETTING...

I am in no way justifying their behaviors.

But you have to consider what he has written. The market women are self employed. It is common sense that you manage what is yours better than what is someone else's.

Don't ever underestimate the negative power of stress.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by abzeemao(m): 8:42pm On Feb 28, 2015
jacabi:
I was discussing with someone yesterday and we talked about this same issue. We even asked each other if it was part of their training. It's so annoying although we have few of them that are friendly and passionate.
prove or adonbelievu

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Women Who Sleep More Also Have More Sex, A New Study Finds / Revealed: 5 Easy Ways To Cut An Onions Without Crying…it Works Like Magic / Outrage As Frontline Health Staff Sent On Duty Without PPE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.