Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,316 members, 7,815,586 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:52 PM

2015 Elections, From The Graphics Designer's Point Of View - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / 2015 Elections, From The Graphics Designer's Point Of View (19676 Views)

If You Need The Graphics Designer (2D/3D Still And Animation) In PORT HARCOURT / Join The Graphics Design Channel For Free Tutorials / Chijioke Anyacho And His Masterpiece Drawings Using Ball Point Pens. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

2015 Elections, From The Graphics Designer's Point Of View by erad(m): 5:33pm On Feb 28, 2015
The long awaited event is gradually drawing in. Vote for this, vote for that will soon be words in various historic texts. The 2015 elections will soon be a forgone issue, delivering various winners and losers with subsequent verbal and legal challenges.
The election day(s) or its eventual winner(s) isn't the reason for this article, the campaign process is, specifically the grahics-related aspect of the campaign process. I'll be looking at how Nigerian campaigns have evolved graphically in 2015 elections compared to 2011 elections.

[size=14pt]What has changed?[/size]
I guess many people will agree with me that there has being significant improvement in the deisgn of campaign materials compared to the last general elections(2011). We see neater designs, sharper images, and more visually appealing designs.
I'll be looking at the two major political parties, All Progressives Congress(APC) and the Peoples Democratic Party(PDP) with specific reference to their presidential and Lagos state gubernitorial candidates.

The following are the significant improvements I can pinpoint.

1. Logo: By this, I'm not refering to the logo of political parties on design materials. Candidates this time around have adopted particular logos in form of symbols and word marks. Evwn where the candidates picture isn't available, their respective logos is used to identify materials by them.

The "A" logo used by Akinwunmi Ambode appears on every of his campaign material.

The "JK" logo used by Jimi Agbaje also appears on every of his campaign material.

2: Slogan: Each political party's candidate have sumed up what they are offering into slogans. Some are just a single word while others consist of a catch phrase. The manifesto of the APC presidential candidate has been summed up into the word #Change suggesting that they bring a better option and will offer positive change from the present administration. On the other hand, the PDP presidential candidate is sticking with the slogan #Transformation, suggesting that he is currently putting the nation through a stage of positive trasformation and is ready to keep up with the transformation if voted for to remain in power.

3: Color unity: This I must say is one of the most commendable improvements I've noticed. Campaign materials for a candidate now boasts of similar color profiles through different platforms. Its possible for electorates to guess who's poster they are looking at through the color combination alone. This has also helped in achieving neater and more distinctive designs.

The APC presidential campaign team has adopted use of blue and red in most of its designs.

Also, the PDP presidential campaign team has stuck to use of green and red in most of its designs.

4: Use of fonts: Yes, this part rocks too. I can recall very well those days when a single poster will consist of at least five(5) different fonts, making the thing look like an ancient scroll. Now, there is use of candidate-specific fonts. A particular candidate having a particular font being used consistently in all of his/her campaign materials. As a designer, this makes me proud.

5: Image quality: Permit me to go outside my scope of study a bit. I saw recently a campaign design of the former Bayelsa state governor Diepreye Alamieyeseigha vieing for senate. It was a disappointment. Pixelating image with varying shades of colors. Good news is this kind of designs are few. Candidate images are sharper with impeccable quality. Really, kudos to the photographers and those that edited the images too. You all rock.

I'm going to stop here for now. If PDP and APC are design agencies and I'm asked to patronise either based on their design outputs, I think I'll go with APC. They really revolutionised graphically the campaign process in this election.

If it was you, based on their material designs only, who will you patronise?

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2015 Elections, From The Graphics Designer's Point Of View by lightheart(m): 5:47pm On Feb 28, 2015
Based on design..'presidentially', I'll root for APC.

In other news, the image of an ambulance comes up in my head whenever I see Ambode's logo. Looks like something for/from the health sector.

10 Likes

Re: 2015 Elections, From The Graphics Designer's Point Of View by erad(m): 5:55pm On Feb 28, 2015
lightheart:
Based on design..'presidentially', I'll root for APC.

In other news, the image of an ambulance comes up in my head whenever I see Ambode's logo. Looks like something for/from the health sector.

It does look like it but it isn't. I guess the plus sign above made it tilt to that direction more.
Re: 2015 Elections, From The Graphics Designer's Point Of View by lightheart(m): 6:00pm On Feb 28, 2015
erad:

It does look like it but it isn't. I guess the plus sign above made it tilt to that direction more.

Yup!...We are saying the same thing....it does look like it.
I'm guessin the plus sign + the color combo.
Re: 2015 Elections, From The Graphics Designer's Point Of View by MillionDollars: 6:26pm On Feb 28, 2015
So na to analyse election graphics be the next tin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2015 Elections, From The Graphics Designer's Point Of View by savcy(m): 6:26pm On Feb 28, 2015
I no understand all this jargon o. But nice post sha.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2015 Elections, From The Graphics Designer's Point Of View by tiamiyukunle69(m): 6:27pm On Feb 28, 2015
Interesting.....you will only take note of all these if you are graphics minded

2 Likes

Re: 2015 Elections, From The Graphics Designer's Point Of View by JideTheBlogger(m): 6:27pm On Feb 28, 2015
Re: 2015 Elections, From The Graphics Designer's Point Of View by ojaydedon(m): 6:27pm On Feb 28, 2015
nothing person no go see for NL this 2015 election....

No be all this things sha..

Transformation continues...grin
#GEJ till 2019

2 Likes

Re: 2015 Elections, From The Graphics Designer's Point Of View by elohorayodele: 6:27pm On Feb 28, 2015
Can't wait for this election to be past tense. GEJ till 2019 anyway

2 Likes

Re: 2015 Elections, From The Graphics Designer's Point Of View by UrennaNkoli(f): 6:27pm On Feb 28, 2015
Cool
Re: 2015 Elections, From The Graphics Designer's Point Of View by villager59: 6:28pm On Feb 28, 2015
I tire o.
Re: 2015 Elections, From The Graphics Designer's Point Of View by ifeelgood: 6:28pm On Feb 28, 2015
Pls don't forget to tell us something about the colours of their wears too, most especially that of our President GMB.

2 Likes

Re: 2015 Elections, From The Graphics Designer's Point Of View by Nobody: 6:28pm On Feb 28, 2015
I want to drink my palm wine , who have merlin season 25
Re: 2015 Elections, From The Graphics Designer's Point Of View by AmakaDNB(f): 6:28pm On Feb 28, 2015
Ok.
Meanwhile, have you visited DNB today?
Re: 2015 Elections, From The Graphics Designer's Point Of View by alaoeri: 6:29pm On Feb 28, 2015
APC of course, those handling anything that has to do with GMB/PYO campaign are brainers unlike the dummies behind the clueless one campaign.

5 Likes

Re: 2015 Elections, From The Graphics Designer's Point Of View by mimicious(f): 6:29pm On Feb 28, 2015
Nice observation
Re: 2015 Elections, From The Graphics Designer's Point Of View by stinggy(m): 6:29pm On Feb 28, 2015
...Yet our choice hasn't change.

GMB all the way!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2015 Elections, From The Graphics Designer's Point Of View by Coldfeet(f): 6:30pm On Feb 28, 2015
Based on the logo and colour fusion I'll gladly vote for GEJ! The umbrella to me is a very unique emblem to use both the rich and the poor use it, an umbrella is not class distinguishing! winkWhereas the other symbol a local broom shocked is HARDLY ever handled by the rich who parade it now cuz of election except their domestic servants of course(hypocrites) sad tongue

When i stare at apc colours it makes me dippressed cry

But anytime I'm feeling low and sad the PDP colours lifts my spirit gives me joy and makes me happpy!!!!!!!!!! grin

4 Likes

Re: 2015 Elections, From The Graphics Designer's Point Of View by Nobody: 6:31pm On Feb 28, 2015
undecided

ALL I KNOW IS BUHARI SHALL BE SWORN IN BY MAY 29TH AND BY THEN I HOPE ALL THOSE IGBO KIDS WHO SCREAM GEJ TILL WHEN THEIR MAMA DIES CAN FINALLY GO AND REST IN PIECES UNDER THE TYRE OF A MOVING TRAILER undecided

Sai Buhari

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2015 Elections, From The Graphics Designer's Point Of View by MizTyna(f): 6:33pm On Feb 28, 2015
APC!!!
Re: 2015 Elections, From The Graphics Designer's Point Of View by justhelp(m): 6:34pm On Feb 28, 2015
what ?
Re: 2015 Elections, From The Graphics Designer's Point Of View by Abayhormy(m): 6:34pm On Feb 28, 2015
The choice hasn't changed. GMB All the way .
& we are prepared for more 28 days of heavy propaganda from the mis-ruling party.

http://www.naij.com/393485-pdps-allegation-against-tinubu-is-sickening-apc.html
Re: 2015 Elections, From The Graphics Designer's Point Of View by Nobody: 6:35pm On Feb 28, 2015
Sai change#

1 Like

Re: 2015 Elections, From The Graphics Designer's Point Of View by Seequadry(m): 6:37pm On Feb 28, 2015
nice one

(1) (2) (Reply)

7 Golden Rules Of Logo Design Every Designer Should Follow Religiously / Herbay Grafix Designs... Come See / Nigeria Best Painter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.