Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,193 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:16 AM

My Fairly Used Laptop Is Too Slow - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / My Fairly Used Laptop Is Too Slow (1444 Views)

Tips On How To Speed Up A Slow Computer. / Can I Use My Mtn Bis To Browse On My Laptop? Is It Possible Folks? / Is Your System Too Slow? Here's The Help You Need (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Fairly Used Laptop Is Too Slow by Cade(m): 8:56pm On Aug 29, 2006
Please Dont Let This Computer Kill Me!

I've just acquired a brand new Dell CPx Laptop, Vintage Circa1998, so powerful that is 64mb/10gg. Guess I must be at least the proud 4th owner.

The only problem is its so slow that it does not run Word and Excel XP well, even when they are the only programs installed not counting Windows Media Player. also, I use this excellent machine to browse from Starcom with magnificient results. I website per night.

I tried to reload windows, but the software could not boot the speed machine, I downloaded All the window updates, and now Windows alone is occupying 2 point something gig of the harddisk.

Question:

How do I make it run faster so my family would stop laughing at me?
Please help before me or the Machine comit suicide.(One of us must kill the other, N60,000 is no joke).

No Long Things Pleeeese. You know I'm not YET a whiz.

Love to all Nairalanders.
Re: My Fairly Used Laptop Is Too Slow by donmayor(m): 8:58pm On Aug 29, 2006
Get more ram first unless its windows 98 u are installing.
Re: My Fairly Used Laptop Is Too Slow by Cade(m): 9:04pm On Aug 29, 2006
Thank you, where? is Do It Yourself thing?
Re: My Fairly Used Laptop Is Too Slow by Seun(m): 9:46pm On Aug 29, 2006
It's probably too old to be able to accomodate much more ram. It's time to throw it away.
Re: My Fairly Used Laptop Is Too Slow by Ugwumba(m): 9:56pm On Aug 29, 2006
Seun,
you wan make the pal commit hara kiri (either to himself or the computer). If nothing else works, at least im get  'museum' showcase.

Haba my bros Cade, who you ask before you purchase 64Mb/ 10 Gb machine (thought dey no dey make these kin things again).
Re: My Fairly Used Laptop Is Too Slow by gbengaijot(m): 11:33pm On Aug 29, 2006
Re: My Fairly Used Laptop Is Too Slow by layi(m): 1:14am On Aug 30, 2006
64mb/10gg.yeeeeeeeeeeeepaaaaaaa! grin
I'm still laughing grin, when i'm through i'll make my post. No vex o undecided
Re: My Fairly Used Laptop Is Too Slow by Ugwumba(m): 1:22am On Aug 30, 2006
una still dey discuss this 'computer' - the threads never pass him 10 Gb, abi una wan take style kill di broder. grin

bros Cade, jus go find the person wey collect ya 60K and give am back the yeye calculator wey him sell to you.
Re: My Fairly Used Laptop Is Too Slow by Nobody: 2:48am On Aug 30, 2006
Ugwumba:

una still dey discuss this 'computer' - the threads never pass him 10 Gb, abi una wan take style kill di broder. grin

bros Cade, jus go find the person wey collect ya 60K and give am back the yeye calculator wey him sell to you.

grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin

True talk! Where did you buy that calculator? 64MB? Even with 512MB here sef i still beat myself up sometimes when the laptop takes it into his head to be slow!
Dont throw it away o! Put it up in your household museum!
Re: My Fairly Used Laptop Is Too Slow by layi(m): 5:30am On Aug 30, 2006
How do u browse with that playstation? In fact starcomms sef dey gba igbakugba!
Anyway when u talk say na 60k u buy am i conclude say the problem is inhouse as they say "charity begins at home". Come over i have 1 kain lappy like that with 32mb ram / 600mb hdd for sale (just 50k)

On a more serious note. throw the scrap away. Dont try upgrading the processor because your system need a total overhaul aka reincarnation. Do put ferrari engine on a volkswagen bettele o. It could be suicidal.
Re: My Fairly Used Laptop Is Too Slow by gbengaijot(m): 11:24am On Aug 30, 2006
Re: My Fairly Used Laptop Is Too Slow by Bossman(m): 7:58pm On Aug 30, 2006
Others have given you good advice. That lappy is just too slow to do anything. Now, if a laptop is having problems running ordinary MS Word, it's time to move on. It's probably "fairly Used" because it cannot be used. If you really paid 60,000 naira for that thing, which is a little over $400, you should run to the seller and get your money back. That's straight up "daylight robbery". New Entry level Dell laptops (512 megs ram. 40 gig HD, 15.4 screen, etc. ) can be got for about $450. I just bought one to bring home for my sister in a few weeks. With a couple of upgrades, it only cost me $489. 

I see the prices paid for laptops/electronics/phones  out there, and I just wished some of the companies on this end will sell/ship to Nigeria. Unfortunately, a lot of them just will not. A lot of US based ebay sellers will not even allow you to bid if your address is in Nigeria. Obviously there are several reasons for this such as,  lack of credit system, fraud, inability to validate transaction, etc.
Re: My Fairly Used Laptop Is Too Slow by donmayor(m): 8:44pm On Aug 30, 2006
The only reason ebay sellers wont ship to nigeria is FRAUD, at least naija get credit card now. Go to http://expo.live.com and the second cool listing is a warning about Nigerians.
Excerpts
just a heads up our Scam Artist friends have found expo as well. I know they were playing with Craigslist recently along with ebay and all the other sites. The scam I came across is the one where they,

Tell you they will use their Western Union Money Order to pay
Tell you they will use their Fedex account to ship
Offer advice on how Western Union will verify the shipment prior to releasing payment.

If you follow through they send you a label with a Nigerian postal address. The email they send you is not from customerservice@firstdatacorp.com which is the valid western union customer service email address (mine was from firstdatacorp@mail.com).

Also note that these user's in fact may be from your hometown and not from Nigeria or any country, city, or state, they claim
Re: My Fairly Used Laptop Is Too Slow by Chxta(m): 9:23am On Aug 31, 2006
Cade:

Please Dont Let This Computer Kill Me!

I've just acquired a brand new Dell CPx Laptop, Vintage Circa1998, so powerful that is 64mb/10gg. Guess I must be at least the proud 4th owner.

The only problem is its so slow that it does not run Word and Excel XP well, even when they are the only programs installed not counting Windows Media Player. also, I use this excellent machine to browse from Starcom with magnificient results. I website per night.

I tried to reload windows, but the software could not boot the speed machine, I downloaded All the window updates, and now Windows alone is occupying 2 point something gig of the harddisk.

Question:

How do I make it run faster so my family would stop laughing at me?
Please help before me or the Machine comit suicide.(One of us must kill the other, N60,000 is no joke).

No Long Things Pleeeese. You know I'm not YET a whiz.

Love to all Nairalanders.

Cade, my sincere advice to you would be install Linux, preferably Ubuntu and then install the XFCE window manager. Other than that, throw it away.
Re: My Fairly Used Laptop Is Too Slow by donmayor(m): 10:43am On Aug 31, 2006
The recently released Ubuntu would not work well on 64MB, to run the live CD requires 256MB and the installation is done via running the live cd. I think he should just install windows 95 or 98. It would work perfectly well grin
Re: My Fairly Used Laptop Is Too Slow by ishmael(m): 12:56pm On Aug 31, 2006
my advice to u is to confirm if the laptop can be upgraded(i.e. increasing the RAM to 256MB and getting a HDD of atleast 40Gb).Some laptops dont even run well on 128MB. If it can be upgraded go ahead and do the upgrading, else keep that laptop out of sight because its as good as a 386 machine. But the person wey sell am to you really wound you. When did you become a nairalander? You should have told the house about the laptop b4 paying 4 it. We would have adviced you to to go for it; any way its already late. Let us know b4 you buy the next laptop oo. Just take heart.
Re: My Fairly Used Laptop Is Too Slow by nilla(f): 4:05pm On Aug 31, 2006
@ topic  shocked

Dell is always bad news.
Can you give us the specs?

Also you said its brand new and you just bought it, Return it if its giving you too much headache.
Re: My Fairly Used Laptop Is Too Slow by lukkie(m): 4:17pm On Aug 31, 2006
man that laptop is a fraud. return it to the man and negotiate a refund or the frustration 'll kill you. am sure my phone's processor is faster than its.
Re: My Fairly Used Laptop Is Too Slow by otegah(m): 8:02pm On Aug 31, 2006
Hello CADE,you said it is a Dell CPx Laptop, Vintage Circa1998 with 64MB,10gigs.I have fixed and upgraded a system worse than yours, very successfully.You need to answer the following questions,

IS THE PROCESSOR FAN WORKING?
DOES YOUR 10 GIG HD MAKE CRACKING NOISES?
DOES THE BOTTOM SIDE HEAT UP AFTER SOME MINS?
DOES WINDOWS SHOW ERRORS FREQUENTLY?

(1) (Reply)

Speed Test Results / My Laptop Backup Suddenly Got Reduced(4rm 2hrs+ To1hr). / New Laptop For #23,000 +1 Year Warranty + Pay On Delivery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.