Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,837 members, 7,810,219 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:29 AM

Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend - Culture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend (41267 Views)

Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched / The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken / Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by ChinenyeN(m): 9:07am On Mar 06, 2015
Heheh ujo ad'itu m mtchewww. L'ika l'ezi, o di m ogoozu (impressed) kena i ji muta ikwu Ngwa otuna. I did'igbaligba ahu.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by tonychristopher: 9:07am On Mar 06, 2015
scholes0:

Jee mee'otun nne gị advice- anuofia!

google translator egbugo gi

so you know that our language is alife and your advising ikpu nne gi...mind u it is not otun it is otu or ohu

oh i forget that google is keeping our language alive

anu mpama

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by tonychristopher: 9:16am On Mar 06, 2015
Peppyluv:
Look at this frustrated old fool,can't stand Imo people because they are a threat or what? After all it's obvious your sorry ass can't stand Anambarians hence the silly outburst. An slowpoke that doesn't know the road to her village and probably dating or married a Fulani man calling someone efulefu. Ina di Ihu ka arlusi Okija.

nne ozugo

1 Like

Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by Nobody: 9:37am On Mar 06, 2015
O nya na chom okwu.

tonychristopher:

nne ozugo
Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by tonychristopher: 10:15am On Mar 06, 2015
Peppyluv:

Why is she unleashing her frustration on me.. i made a general observation and never said only Imo were guilty but she didnt see that part. shows how much she hates anambra and couldnt stand the blow...I am proud of being Igbo that is why i had the guts to go on facebook and fight chino for embarrasing Igbos by calling Imo girls prostitutes and derailing Imo and Anambra thread and unlike a wannabe peacemaker i took the war on him to facebook and not on nl inorder to be called a good girl. an act he punished me for by exposing my pics but the shame was theirs because i'm not the ugly beast they expected to see. anaghimewe ziwe afterall anyi no na lent... embarassed

my hot darling

nwanyi oma.....aklways firing on full cylinders, ada igbo

bie ihuoma oma

enebe ukwu egbuo ewu
ada si anambra eje
ada ma obi nna ya
nwanyi ma obi diya
enenebe eje olu

maka mu na nwanne m nwoke, bisie ihuoma oma , o nne biko sie

okwanu nwanne gi nwoke na agwa gi ifea

dalu soo
Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by tonychristopher: 10:18am On Mar 06, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

i guess calling Imos Efulefu is a good comment.
Others overlooked it because they knew it was a clannish and prejudiced comment that came from a little girl. I had to burst it up before others inteprete it as fact. Old cargo? Nobody mentioned age here.

ozugo nne

umunwanyi suonu ike

biko nu

pepyluv

mesie nu
Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by tonychristopher: 10:24am On Mar 06, 2015
chefuo ifea, ozugo nne

Peppyluv:
O nya na chom okwu.

Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by Nobody: 10:24am On Mar 06, 2015
Nwanne anugom. Nsogbu adiro. Sincerely she read another meaning to the whole thing and I just couldn't let her run me down. Maka why? Anaghim eti Mmuo ana kwa aka.

tonychristopher:

my hot darling

nwanyi oma.....aklways firing on full cylinders, ada igbo

bie ihuoma oma

enebe ukwu egbuo ewu
ada si anambra eje
ada ma obi nna ya
nwanyi ma obi diya
enenebe eje olu

maka mu na nwanne m nwoke, bisie ihuoma oma , o nne biko sie

okwanu nwanne gi nwoke na agwa gi ifea

dalu soo

1 Like

Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by Eke40seven(m): 10:34am On Mar 06, 2015
@ihuomadinihu and peppyluv, these bashful utterances should cease. please. As much as I love reading them, we are loosing the essence of the greater good of the thread. You are both very intelligent and I love reading your comments on issues concerning our ethnic group, but to think that you would go to these abysmally low level to make uncomplimentary divisive and personal attacks against a kindred is not encouraging.

Well, this extinction and endangerment of languages is a global phenomenon, especially with the centralisation and the state of officialdom and promotion of a particular language amongst a geographical babel like Nigeria or even our Igbo land.

Beyond the global trends, I feel the problem lies more with the Diaspora, which we the Igbo are more apt to become. We are by nature migratory, and mercantile and in order to do well, adopt a generally well spoken language and keener to use it and this have affected our relationship with kindreds from other clans. Again, I feel our dialects varies more when compared to that of other Nigerian tribes.
I was born and raised outside the Igbo land, and my parents raised us mainly in our dialect, which differs in so many ways from the Igbo spoken in say, the city of Aba (the biggest city in my state). Until recently, I would be more comfortable speaking English to a fellow Igbo from a different state or region than in Igbo for ease of communication.
Secondly, its also a generational thing, we all speak Igbo comfortably at home, save for our youngest sibling, his inability or unwillingness to speak the language baffles us although we too may have some blame for it.
Parents are the major culprits of this heinous disservice, they feel that speaking to a child in English from birth will make the child sound more urban or learned. However, recent trends in the mass failure in the English Language exams in WASSCE and NECO indicates otherwise.

We can tackle these trends by preaching this at our Union Meetings. Parents have a huge role to play. Let there be a reversal in the trends. A pride in our language reflected in our daily activities and passed down to our born and. unborn children, for the world to marvel at the sound of our sweet language.
Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by Ihuomadinihu: 10:42am On Mar 06, 2015
Eke40seven:
@ihuomadinihu and peppyluv, these bashful utterances should cease. please. As much as I love reading them, we are loosing the essence of the greater good of the thread. You are both very intelligent and I love reading your comments on issues concerning our ethnic group, but to think that you would go to these abysmally low level to make uncomplimentary divisive and personal attacks against a kindred is not encouraging.

Well, this extinction and endangerment of languages is a global phenomenon, especially with the centralisation and the state of officialdom and promotion of a particular language amongst a geographical babel like Nigeria or even our Igbo land.

Beyond the global trends, I feel the problem lies more with the Diaspora, which we the Igbo are more apt to become. We are by nature migratory, and mercantile and in order to do well, adopt a generally well spoken language and keener to use it and this have affected our relationship with kindreds from other clans. Again, I feel our dialects varies more when compared to that of other Nigerian tribes.
I was born and raised outside the Igbo land, and my parents raised us mainly in our dialect, which differs in so many ways from the Igbo spoken in say, the city of Aba (the biggest city in my state). Until recently, I would be more comfortable speaking English to a fellow Igbo from a different state or region than in Igbo for ease of communication.
Secondly, its also a generational thing, we all speak Igbo comfortably at home, save for our youngest sibling, his inability or unwillingness to speak the language baffles us although we too may have some blame for it.
Parents are the major culprits of this heinous disservice, they feel that speaking to a child in English from birth will make the child sound more urban or learned. However, recent trends in the mass failure in the English Language exams in WASSCE and NECO indicates otherwise.

We can tackle these trends by preaching this at our Union Meetings. Parents have a huge role to play. Let there be a reversal in the trends. A pride in our language reflected in our daily activities and passed down to our born and. unborn children, for the world to marvel at the sound of our sweet language.
Well,everyone can testify that she started the insults and personal attacks. It's very clear that she has deep repugnance for Imo people, but it's uncalled for in this thread. Am only asking her to provide proofs that Imo pps are responsible for the socalled extinction. It's so annoying that people are debating a very important issue and all she could come up with is how Imo people are Efulefus. This clearly demonstrates how fragamented we are compared to other ethnic groups in Nigeria.
To my disappointment,no one has directly told her that her assumptions and claims are wrong.
It seems people just sit back,enjoy the banter and laugh at it. Even her 'brothers' silently approve of such nonesense. Vice versa, they would have jumped on that person headlong!
I confronted her because her comments were vile and narrowminded,not that i am i come from Imo state. She/people should learn the basic concept of not inferring from someone's comments.
On a different note,the UN studies was probably done in the diaspora. Igbo language is alive and kicking in South-East/South South Nigeria. I have relatives all over Nigeria and they succeded in teaching their kids how to speak and write igbo. At the end of the day,it boils down to individual efforts or lack of interest to teach/learn igbo language.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by Eke40seven(m): 12:05pm On Mar 06, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Well,everyone can testify that she started the insults and personal attacks. It's very clear that she has deep repugnance for Imo people, but it's uncalled for in this thread. Am only asking her to provide proofs that Imo pps are responsible for the socalled extinction. It's so annoying that people are debating a very important issue and all she could come up with is how Imo people are Efulefus. This clearly demonstrates how fragamented we are compared to other ethnic groups in Nigeria.
To my disappointment,no one has directly told her that her assumptions and claims are wrong.
It seems people just sit back,enjoy the banter and laugh at it. Even her 'brothers' silently approve of such nonesense. Vice versa, they would have jumped on that person headlong!
I confronted her because her comments were vile and narrowminded,not that i am i come from Imo state. She/people should learn the basic concept of not inferring from someone's comments.
On a different note,the UN studies was probably done in the diaspora. Igbo language is alive and kicking in South-East/South South Nigeria. I have relatives all over Nigeria and they succeded in teaching their kids how to speak and write igbo. At the end of the day,it boils down to individual efforts or lack of interest to teach/learn igbo language.

Well, the weight of her comments could have been made worse by her previous posts relating to Imo state on Nairaland, away from this particular thread. However, I don't know anything about that, so I can't judge or reprimand her justly if I do. 'Efulefu' should however not be attributed to people from a particular state, the phenomenon is present in all states and there is no statistic to show a more prominence among people from a particular state or is this a clear occurrence more exclusive to a particular group of people generally conceived as common knowledge.
The problems lie more with the Diaspora, that, I am sure of. What I can't attest to is its much more prominence among a particular people from a particular state.

And of course, I believe the Igbo language is well alive in its ancestral home.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by kennethalice(m): 8:13pm On Mar 07, 2015
please my follow Nairaland Igbo member ,please how do you say in Igbo .... I miss you
Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by devour129: 6:24pm On Mar 08, 2015
kennethalice:
please my follow Nairaland Igbo member ,please how do you say in Igbo .... I miss you
e missiri m gi
Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by bigfrancis21: 6:28pm On Mar 08, 2015
kennethalice:

Anya gi or Anya gi na-eme m in full.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Ashraf Adam Lamido Sanusi Graduates From UK University (photos) / Prince Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi: Things You Don't Know About The New Ooni Of Ife / Ancient Kemet (ancient Egypt) In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.