Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,603 members, 7,816,500 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:05 PM

How Can You Prevent A Webpage From Being Saved? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How Can You Prevent A Webpage From Being Saved? (12140 Views)

Help! How To Pull Data From Database And Display On A Webpage / Help! How Do I Add Drop Down Menu To A Webpage / How To Insert Emoticons & Html Tags In A Webpage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can You Prevent A Webpage From Being Saved? by rock2(m): 4:15am On Aug 30, 2006
i think knowing how to make a web page unsaveable could be useful. how can i do that. thanks?
Re: How Can You Prevent A Webpage From Being Saved? by layi(m): 5:03am On Aug 30, 2006
U can't prevent people from saving a web page. You can mess around in js, you can prevent right click, but everything you try will be useless because we can still get your images and your source code. You cannot disable stuff like that on all browsers, infact its hard to stop someone from getting that data in even ie because of the fact that the user has to download your web page for his browser to read the code,  all of your code ends up in his cache which he can just go into and look at. Quit trying to protect your client side source code and images,  its impossible.

The only solution that stops people from being able to save what you have placed into a web page is to put the page into a password protected directory on your site and don't give them the password so that they can't access the page. Only pages that can't be accessed by someone cannot be downloaded by that person.
Once someone views a web page they already have a copy of the page on their computer that the browser made in order to display the page.

U could also protect ur source code. This should help http://www.aerotags.com/products/tlp.php
Re: How Can You Prevent A Webpage From Being Saved? by sbucareer(f): 3:10pm On Sep 02, 2006

Internet is a free environment. Internet is open source. You can NEVER prevent people from copying you documents on the web. Remember the good old PrtScn (Print Screen).

Just design what ever you want and hope that people can find it very hard to redesign
Re: How Can You Prevent A Webpage From Being Saved? by my2cents(m): 11:50am On Sep 03, 2006
Sooo smiley

There are 2 types of internet users - those who know and those who don't. As a stop-gap measure for those who don't know, you could use javascript to pop up a scary message like "copyright - stealing source code is illegal and prosecutable" (upon right-click). That usually scares the novices away. Putting your javascript and css code in .js and .css files respectively also helps protect proprietary interactive code.

As far as those who know, sorry pal, but there is nothing you can do. FireFox has made it worse by enable users to be able to view and even edit your source on the fly. As has been said up top, you could dabble with putting code you don't want others to see in a password-protected folder on your server, but why would you want to do that?

So to summarize, just stuff your javascript and css code in .js and .css files respectively, and hope for the best, as far as your html goes grin

I hope this helps.
Re: How Can You Prevent A Webpage From Being Saved? by sbucareer(f): 12:56am On Sep 04, 2006

Ignorance can be a bliss, sometime it is worth trying out stuff first to know for yourself that the argument you are about to make will hold.

When you visit a site and hit the file save-as in your browser tool bar, it would save the .css and .js files even if their links where relatives.

Try it and come back here to argue with me further. Visit this site as a demo http://www.lsbu.ac.uk First go to View-source from your explorer tool bar and see that the .css and and .js are just a reference to another http site i.e

<link rel="stylesheet" href="/erclib/css/styleLSBU_css.css" media="screen" type="text/css" />
<link rel="stylesheet" href="/clearingGuide/css/clearingChanges_css.css" media="screen" type="text/css" />
<link rel="stylesheet" href="/erclib/css/v2_printstyles.css" media="print" type="text/css" />

Now, just navigate to http://www.lsbu.ac.uk and hit save-as from the file menu on your explorer and go to the directories where you saved it and see if the .css and .js files are not downloaded.

If they were, just don't argue blindly it makes your knowledge reprehensible .
Re: How Can You Prevent A Webpage From Being Saved? by my2cents(m): 3:20pm On Sep 05, 2006
Hmmm sbucareer,

Regardless of who you directed your tirade at, I don't like your tone. The aim of pple on this forum (at least that is how I view it) is to learn. Spking the way u did can have the effect of chasing pple who would have otherwise learnt something. It takes a lot for some pple to post a question/response in terms of courage and fear of being viewed as "ignorant". Let's not make such pple (including myself) retreat back into their shell. At the end of the day, a post/reply should serve to educate and inform so that in the end, we all learn something grin

Regardless, I didn't quite understand what you were trying to say up top, again, regardless of who it was directed at. Do post an explanation as I would like to know what you meant and y u put it that way.

Thanks,
Re: How Can You Prevent A Webpage From Being Saved? by sbucareer(f): 4:24pm On Sep 05, 2006

my2cents, sorry if you think I offended you or directed my response to you. You should really try and find out the meaning of Ignorance can be a bliss and your knowledge reprehensible  you would see that I did not direct any insult or take anyones knowledge in this forum minuscule.

One does not know all including me and you. The phrases I choose for any public outlook is always irreprehensible. Sorry if you thought I directed the words to you. Bliss is happiness. So, in other words what I am saying is ignorance can be joyful.

You see I did not make anyone look less. Sorry if I offended you, accept my sincere apology.

Re: How Can You Prevent A Webpage From Being Saved? by my2cents(m): 4:58pm On Sep 05, 2006
Well, I actually didn't think those words were directed at me. But even if they were, nko? cool

First off, I have a very high and weird tolerance for such remarks and besides, all I was expecting was for you to specify who you were talking to. In other words, let it not be like how we used to do it in secondary school where we would say something and then immediately say "I didn't mention anybody's name o!" grin

You know, considering I am in the states and don't speak english (yep, trust me, we speak american, not english grin), I didn't understand what you were saying and as a matter of fact, don't quite think I actually completely understand u now (don't re-iterate yourself, you can YIM me if u must, he he).

Finally, again regardless of what you meant, I have found from personal experience that if you put your words a certain way, the person taking those words could choose to either go the extra 10 yards or be stubborn and not move an inch.

Thanks. Again, I no vex o! I was just wondering.
Re: How Can You Prevent A Webpage From Being Saved? by sbucareer(f): 5:16pm On Sep 05, 2006

Now that we have cleared the air, do you now believe that .js and .css and other server side scripts can be downloaded when you simply save a url? This is the reason we have enterprise application today (Separation of concern).

You inject objects from middleware to front-end and deject them when necessary. This way people can not still you code, the middleware, because all it does is render object or reference to the class.
Re: How Can You Prevent A Webpage From Being Saved? by my2cents(m): 5:45pm On Sep 05, 2006
sbucareer, u c am?

I knew that is where u were headed. I don't think I doubted what you were saying. I just didn't want to make assumptions. You were on a quest to prove to the world that indeed there was a way and that those who didn't know were imbeciles, ingrates and infidels LOL. For the record, I never did say you couldn't save .css and .js files.

For your convenience, I will reprint excerpts of my original post:

There are 2 types of internet users - those who know and those who don't. As a stop-gap measure for those who don't know, you could use javascript to pop up a scary message like "copyright - stealing source code is illegal and prosecutable" (upon right-click). That usually scares the novices away. Putting your javascript and css code in .js and .css files respectively also helps protect proprietary interactive code.

As far as those who know, sorry pal, but there is nothing you can do. FireFox has made it worse by enable users to be able to view and even edit your source on the fly. As has been said up top, you could dabble with putting code you don't want others to see in a password-protected folder on your server, but why would you want to do that?

In particular, pay attention to "There are 2 types of internet users - those who know and those who don't" and the latter part of that paragraph, again, in reference to *those who don't know* - "Putting your javascript and css code in .js and .css files respectively also helps protect proprietary interactive code."

I will say, in keeping with my stance of coming on this forum to learn something new, that I wasn't aware of "injecting objects". Again, in keeping with my stance, though I probably will not be able to prove for myself that it is impossible to steal code your way, I will say I have learnt something new and take your word for it.

I knew someone would say something to the effect that you just said, that is why, as always, I took the pains to emphasize (perhaps not enough, but then again, I speak american, not english grin) b/w the 2 camps. As for clearing the air, yes, u did and I am now breathing happily. I just cancelled the appointment I made earlier today to go see a psychotherapist LOL
Re: How Can You Prevent A Webpage From Being Saved? by Cactus(m): 2:29am On Sep 06, 2006
logically, i think it is possible to prevent people from saving a webpage, website, content, script etc. this is how it would work

On my server, i would have mini applications/scripts/programs or whatever u want to call it. these applications would track browser menu selections, on clicking the menu event, SAVE PAGE AS/SAVE ALL/SAVE or using shortcuts ctrl A, ctrl S, printscreen

I would have a script that runs on my server to track the location and which specific files are saved where my webpage, website, images, videos, sounds, scripts, code etc. on my visitors' computer, then the script will transfer the path to a different application that will automatically be download onto the visitors' machine, i will look for the path, possibly search for keywords in the folder, or images that appear on my website and then wipe the content downloaded. this is going to involve quite some intelligent algorithm so as not to remove unrelated information from my visitors' computer

and i could also program the application to delete itself once the job is done as the application will be downloaded automatically each and everytime someone tries to save a page or a content from my site.

if anyone is interested, we can work on a small application, it is not a matter of is it possible? I know it is possible, and then i would definitely try to come up with something if i can get people to join in and help out with programming.

hm lets see before there were light bulbs, or cars, everyone wonder what could be until it came to life and proved them wrong.

i have submitted the project for approval on sourceforge.net which should take two days hopefully, if it is approved, will give y'all the link to join in and contribute. i am lookin in the lines of disabling menu options in different web browsers, website extractors etc on different operating platforms
wish me luck>

if no one understands how this would work, i can still clarify the process and maybe describe or illustrate better with a more decent example
Re: How Can You Prevent A Webpage From Being Saved? by sbucareer(f): 11:37am On Sep 06, 2006

I did not finished your post but got general idea of what you are trying to do. I have done something like that in my web application development. i.e.

In the line like <link rel="stylesheet" href="/erclib/css/styleLSBU_css.css" media="screen" type="text/css" />

I will do this instead <link rel="stylesheet" href="controller?event=CSS" media="screen" type="text/css" />

I have used it on my website here. But I did not try it with the CSS, I used it to track all the files and pages I want to serve people.

What I did was to create two properties file called:

1. Url.properties
2. Events.properties

These are there contents.

Url.properties

ADMINISTRATION=
ADVERT=/jsp/advertisewithus.jsp
ASSIGNMENT=/jsp/assignment.jsp
ABOUT=/html/about.htm
BUGDATABASE=
CONTACT=/html/contact.htm
CC=
COPYRIGHT=/jsp/copyright.jsp
COMPANYINFO=/jsp/companyInfo.jsp
DATABASE=
DEVELOPERMAILING=
DOCUMENTATION=
FOOTER=/jsp/footer.jsp
FAQS=/html/faqs.htm
HOME=/jsp/index.jsp
HOMEPAGE=
HOMENETWORKING=/jsp/homeNetwork.jsp
IRC=
J2EE=
JAVA_BUG=
JOBS=/jsp/jobs.jsp
LOGIN=/jsp/login.jsp
MANAGER=
MCSE1=
OFFICENETWORKING=/jsp/officeNetwork.jsp
PROGRAMMING=<a href="Event.properties">Event.properties</a>
PROJECT=<a href="Event.properties">Event.properties</a>
POLICY=/jsp/policy.jsp
PHP=
PRODUCTS=/html/products.htm
PRESS=/html/press.htm
PARTNERS=/html/partners.htm
REGISTER=/jsp/register.jsp
SERVICES=/html/services.htm
STRUT=strut
SERVLET=
SOFTWARE=
SUGGESTION=/jsp/suggest.jsp
STORE=/html/store.htm
TERMS=/jsp/termsandcondition.jsp
TOMCAT=
USERMAILING=
UNKNOWNEVENT=/jsp/unknownEvent.jsp
UNKNOWNERROR=/jsp/unknownError.jsp
WEBCOMPONENTS=
MENU=/html/index.htm

Event.properties

ASSIGNMENT=com.org.yexon.event.AssignmentEventHandler
HOME=com.org.yexon.event.HomeEventHandler
BUGDATABASE=com.org.yexon.event.BugDataBaseEventHandler
USERMAILING=com.org.yexon.event.UserMailingEventHandler
DEVELOPERMAILING=com.org.yexon.event.DeveloperMailingEventHandler
IRC=com.org.yexon.event.IRCEventHandler
STRUT=com.org.yexon.event.StrutEventHandler
SERVLET=com.org.yexon.event.ServletEventHandler
PROJECT=com.org.yexon.event.ProjectEventHandler
DATABASE=com.org.yexon.event.DataBaseEventHandler
SOFTWARE=com.org.yexon.event.SoftwareEventHandler
PROGRAMMING=com.org.yexon.event.ProgrammingEventHandler
TOMCAT=com.org.yexon.event.TomcatEventHandler
PHP=com.org.yexon.event.PHPEventHandler
CC=com.org.yexon.event.CCEventHandler
UNKNOWN_EVENT=com.org.yexon.event.UnknownEventHandler
UNKNOWN_ERROR=com.org.yexon.event.UnknownErrorEventHandler
JAVA_BUG=com.org.yexon.event.JavaEventHandler
WEBCOMPONENTS=com.org.yexon.event.FWebComponentsEventHandler
J2EE=com.org.yexon.event.J2eeEventHandler
ADMINISTRATION=com.org.yexon.event.AdministrationEventHandler
MANAGER=com.org.yexon.event.ManagerEventHandler
DOCUMENTATION=com.org.yexon.event.DocumentationEventHandler
HOMEPAGE=com.org.yexon.event.HomePageEventHandler
MCSE1=com.org.yexon.event.MsceOneEventHandler
SUGGESTION=com.org.yexon.event.SuggestionEventHandler
COMPANYINFO=com.org.yexon.event.CompanyInfoEventHandler
COPYRIGHT=com.org.yexon.event.CopyRightEventHandler
TERMS=com.org.yexon.event.TermsEventHandler
JOBS=com.org.yexon.event.JobsEventHandler
ADVERT=com.org.yexon.event.AdvertEventHandler
POLICY=com.org.yexon.event.PolicyEventHandler
LOGIN=com.org.yexon.event.LoginEventHandler
REGISTER=com.org.yexon.event.RegisterEventHandler
FOOTER=com.org.yexon.event.FooterEventHandler
HOMENETWORKING=com.org.yexon.event.HomeNetworkingEventHandler
OFFICENETWORKING=com.org.yexon.event.OfficeNetworkingEventHandler
MENU=com.org.yexon.event.MenuEventHandler
ABOUT=com.org.yexon.event.AboutEventHandler
CONTACT=com.org.yexon.event.ContactEventHandler
SERVICES=com.org.yexon.event.ServicesEventHandler
PRODUCTS=com.org.yexon.event.ProductsEventHandler
FAQS=com.org.yexon.event.FaqsEventHandler
PRESS=com.org.yexon.event.PressEventHandler
STORE=com.org.yexon.event.StoreEventHandler
PARTNERS=com.org.yexon.event.PartnersEventHandler

The actuall server scripts that is behind this MVC is using servlets, actually two servlets namely:

1. Controller.java
2. EventBaseHandler.java

here are the files

package com.org.yexon.event;

import javax.servlet.RequestDispatcher;
import javax.servlet.ServletContext;
import javax.servlet.ServletException;

import java.io.IOException;

import javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest;
import javax.servlet.http.HttpServletResponse;

public abstract class EventBaseHandler{

/*
    Declare abstract method.  Any class that
    extends this abstract class will define how
    this method will get information regarding URL
*/

protected abstract String getURL();

/*
    This method could be overwritten but must not
    be implemented like getURL method above.  If this
    method is overwritten in any class that use it the
    functionality will be adopted from the new implementation
*/
    public void process( HttpServletRequest request,
HttpServletResponse response )
throws IOException, ServletException {

}//End process

/*
*/
    public void forward( HttpServletRequest request,
dispatch( request, response );
    }//End forward

/*
*/
    public void dispatch( HttpServletRequest request,

RequestDispatcher rd = request.getRequestDispatcher( getURL( ) );

if ( rd != null )

rd.forward( request, response );

}//End forward
}//End EventBaseHandler class

For the Controller class

package com.org.yexon.servlets;

import com.org.yexon.event.EventBaseHandler;

import java.util.HashMap;
import java.util.Enumeration;
import java.util.ResourceBundle;

import javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet;
import javax.servlet.http.HttpSession;

public class Controller extends HttpServlet{

protected static HashMap events = new HashMap( );

public void init (  ) throws ServletException{

ResourceBundle bundle = ResourceBundle.getBundle( "Event" );

Enumeration e = bundle.getKeys( );
while( e.hasMoreElements( ) ){
    String key   = ( String ) e.nextElement( );
    String value = bundle.getString( key );

try{
EventBaseHandler event = (  EventBaseHandler )
Class.forName( value ).newInstance( );
events.put( key, event );
    }catch ( Exception exception ){
     //We wiil try and do something here in the future
    }//End exception
}//End while
       }//End init method

public void doGet ( HttpServletRequest request,
throws IOException, ServletException{
doPost( request, response );
    }//End doGet Method

public void doPost ( HttpServletRequest request,
throws IOException, ServletException{

String event = ( String ) this.validateEvent( request );
EventBaseHandler handler = getEventHandler ( event );

try{
    handler.process ( request, response );
}catch ( Exception exception ){
    request.setAttribute ( "error", exception );
    handler = this.getEventHandler( "UNKNOWN_ERROR" );
}//End exception
       handler.forward ( request, response );
    }//End doPot Method

protected String validateEvent( HttpServletRequest req ){
String event = req.getParameter( "event" );
if( event == null || !events.containsKey( event ) ){
    event = "UNKNOWN_EVENT";
}
return event;
    }//End validate method

protected EventBaseHandler getEventHandler( String theHandler ){
EventBaseHandler handler;
try{
    handler = ( EventBaseHandler ) events.get( theHandler );
}catch( Exception exception ){
    handler = ( EventBaseHandler ) events.get( "UNKNOWN_EVENT" );
}//End exception
return handler;
    }//End getEventHandler
}//End Controller class

These approache could be used for the CSS and Javascript to adopt the middleware deployment which will undoubtedly prevent people from downloading your business logic.

Try my url to see how my pages are been called from the middleware. Sorry if this did not help with your argument
Re: How Can You Prevent A Webpage From Being Saved? by my2cents(m): 10:30pm On Sep 06, 2006
LMAO, sorry guys but after seeing sbucareer's code, I unsubscribed from the post. Now, based on part of his comments, I just had to return. This is becoming funnier by the minute grin

sbu, in an obvious attempt to pull "effex", said:
These approache could be used for the CSS and Javascript to adopt the middleware deployment which will undoubtedly prevent people from downloading your business logic.

Dude (or should I say "bloke", considering you are in the UK cool), even without all your code, business logic, by default is not viewable from a browser via "view source". Neither is it downloadable. shocked shocked

LMAO. Make I go naked baff for bafroom biko. This is too much
Re: How Can You Prevent A Webpage From Being Saved? by sbucareer(f): 10:35pm On Sep 06, 2006

I keep saying this, ignorance is a bliss. I will not futher contribute to this thread. I did not know that exchanging information was pulling effects!

I can see that you people are intemidated by my knowledge I will leave you people in peace. Please know what is package directories and UNC (Universal Naming Convention) before trying to pull another blind argument.

If my code is urgly and poorly written, I suggest you supply your cleverly written MVC to use as a comdenation of mine?

I will repeat it again in case you do not know, the purpose of MVC is to separate software concern. We have a concern now, which is people copying or downloading .CSS and Javascript.

My proposal, which did not include MVC elegance was to wrap Javascript and CSS into an object and put it at the back end and simply call it using one of many methods, hence MVC and I showed you how it worked by the using a simple HTML and JSP from a class Object.

Let me give the the poor code of the class object, incase when you are nake bathing, you can read it while at it.

package com.org.yexon.event;

import javax.servlet.RequestDispatcher;

import java.util.ResourceBundle;

public class UnknownEventHandler extends EventBaseHandler{

private ResourceBundle bundle = ResourceBundle.getBundle( "URL" );

protected String getURL(){
return bundle.getString( "UNKNOWNEVENT" );
    }//End getURL
}//End EventBaseHandler class

Re: How Can You Prevent A Webpage From Being Saved? by my2cents(m): 11:02pm On Sep 06, 2006
oookay, I actually laminated your response so I could read it while bathing with my joy soap (Heeeey, joy girl!! cool)

I can see that you people are intemidated by my knowledge
Speaking for myself - hardly grin

If my code is urgly and poorly written, I suggest you supply your cleverly written MVC to use as a comdenation of mine?
I wouldn't know, so I guess you got me there - I am a user interface developer (not designer, pls don't get it twisted and confused grin). My job is to interact, via jsp tags, with the backend logic written by a software engineer. So whether it is ugly or not, I cannot say. That also implies I cannot supply you with my "cleverly written MVC". sorry. lipsrsealed

I will repeat it again in case you do not know, the purpose of MVC is to separate software concern. We have a concern now, which is people copying or downloading .CSS and Javascript.
We do indeed have a concern. But that concern has to do with defining software. CSS/JS are not software, so there is no need hiding them. In my opinion (just one man's opinion, and I could be wrong) adding extra load on your server by hiding your JS and CSS files, when I could probably pull up via google a solution better than yours, is unnecessary.

I will not futher contribute to this thread.
Hmmm, so again, being u r in the UK, what does your above thread count as? I bet it isn't a "contribution" cool cool
Re: How Can You Prevent A Webpage From Being Saved? by sbucareer(f): 11:14pm On Sep 06, 2006

I said I will not write or contribute to this thread again, but I just want to make a comment, CSS, JavaScript, HTML, DHTML, XML, SQL etc. are all components of software. Software development need these components to function effectively.

Let me make note of this in the forum Yexon.co.uk and digitemsystems are my companies registered in the UK. You can search the whois database to find the owner. I guess you all know my name, Valentine Obih. Please understand things before you make unelaborated clams!

Re: How Can You Prevent A Webpage From Being Saved? by sbucareer(f): 11:23pm On Sep 06, 2006

Reference

[url=http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=deskbar&q=define%3A+MVC]MVC is separation of concern[/url]

Well I am proud because I wrote the code myself. You would NEVER find this type of MVC solution anywhere on earth. If you do they probably copied it from my project, ok.
Re: How Can You Prevent A Webpage From Being Saved? by my2cents(m): 11:29pm On Sep 06, 2006
I said I will not write or contribute to this thread again, but I just want to make a comment
latest count: my2cents 2 sbucareer 0 - checkmate!! cool cool

CSS, JavaScript, HTML, DHTML, XML, SQL etc. are all components of software. Software development need these components to function effectively.
Wrong again pal. Don't take offense o! I am only trying to help spread knowledge and hopefully gain some in the process. HTML, DHTML, XML are markup languages, not software. SQL is a query language. You can write, say, JAVA code, and it is totally independent of the above. So no (mba, beeko, iyo cool), software development doesnt need these "components" to function effectively. Doubt me? Oya, show me anything matching the above in this very rudimentary JAVA code (this still doesnt make me a software engineer by the way wink)

public static void main (String args[]) {
sbucareer sbu = new sbucareer();
if(sbu.isWrong()) {
System.out.println("Sorry pal, but I think you are wrong"wink;
}
}

As we used to say in secondary school in naija, QED grin
Re: How Can You Prevent A Webpage From Being Saved? by sbucareer(f): 11:30pm On Sep 06, 2006

logically, i think it is possible to prevent people from saving a webpage, website, content, script etc. this is how it would work

This is what he siad and I responded to it, ok.
Re: How Can You Prevent A Webpage From Being Saved? by sbucareer(f): 11:33pm On Sep 06, 2006

You are a joker!!! HTML, what runs the parser? SQL what runs the parser? Javascript what runs the parser? Don't be difficult on yourself, I said they are software components, ok.
Re: How Can You Prevent A Webpage From Being Saved? by Seun(m): 11:35pm On Sep 06, 2006
Please stop fighting guys. Your egos are unbelievable!!
Re: How Can You Prevent A Webpage From Being Saved? by my2cents(m): 11:37pm On Sep 06, 2006
Well I am proud because I wrote the code myself. You would NEVER find this type of MVC solution anywhere on earth. If you do they probably copied it from my project, ok.
Just to set the record str8, I never doubted your coding prowess, only your definitions. I personally don't bash people on stuff I don't know myself.

As for "what parses", again, I think you are confusing issues here. I could equally ask what parses JAVA, but that isn't the point. The point is, what defines software? any "ML" language, is just for markup. In particular, you have to realize that there are 2 kinds of programs - web apps and regular apps. The former needs the "components" to function properly, not the latter. Thus, your argument that it does need it in totality fails.

As for "not contributing again", I hope you're keeping count. You have scored 4 own goals by now grin

Oga Seun, I no dey fight o! I just refuse to accept something that I know is wrong. In the end, who knows, I sef may be wrong at the end of the day. So far though, I am not wrong, again, based on definitions. I have no ego at all. I just won't stand for what is wrong cool
Re: How Can You Prevent A Webpage From Being Saved? by Cactus(m): 1:08am On Sep 07, 2006
opening directory part for a folder etc are event driven procedures, so what is stopping an application or something from tracking the events.

that is even a more complex scenario

if you disabled all menu options relating to saving/copying, shortcuts, right/left clicking save/view/copy menu options that is absolutely possible.

the main difficulty will be for those using website extractors, importing into FP/dreamweaver etc or some external app to read.

if sourceforge approvals my proposal which i am hoping to find out tomorrow, that means they also do believe it is doable LOL. else they will consider it crap instead of arguing about this we can do something practical, if we get stuck somewhere then we can give up and say well we tried but unsuccessful.
Re: How Can You Prevent A Webpage From Being Saved? by Cactus(m): 2:52pm On Sep 08, 2006
for all you non-believers of the likelihood on the possibility of implementing something to prevent people from saving/copying webpage/site info, well my proposal was approved at least that is a step forward

Subject: SourceForge.net Project Approved

Your project registration for SourceForge.net has been approved.

Project Information:

Project Descriptive Name: STERILE
Project Unix Name: sterile
CVS Server: cvs.sourceforge.net
Shell Server: shell.sourceforge.net
Web Server: sterile.sourceforge.net

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sterile/

the web server should be up in about 24hrs or less for dns resolution.

next step is now to get as many current sourceforge contributors as i can to brainstorm ideas and how best to implement
Re: How Can You Prevent A Webpage From Being Saved? by sbucareer(f): 6:56pm On Sep 16, 2006

Cactus, can I join the project? Also, can you send me the proposal. I already know the motivation. I would like to contribute to this project.
Re: How Can You Prevent A Webpage From Being Saved? by adewaleafolabi(m): 1:34am On Sep 20, 2006
hm this seem like a big fight, but i don't think js and css should be hidden but if there is the need to then why don't you. i learnt css by looking at code from people over the web experimenting with themand that greatly improved my knowledge. so far you created it yourself and feel there's an need to protect it then go ahead. lets put our egoes under check.
Re: How Can You Prevent A Webpage From Being Saved? by ojchris(m): 5:09am On Nov 19, 2006
This was so funny an episode or it an entire sup?
Re: How Can You Prevent A Webpage From Being Saved? by wilkanah(m): 11:59am On Dec 27, 2006
@ sbucarrer
Internet is a free environment. Internet is open source. You can NEVER prevent people from copying you documents on the web. Remember the good old PrtScn (Print Screen).

Just design what ever you want and hope that people can find it very hard to redesign

tis funny u started with u can't do it and ended with tis possible.

Anyway just an abservation: one time i tried to save some tutorial pages off the sun website but it didn't work; just crashed (at least with explorer). Got around it eventually (opera/firefox) but t got me thinking.

I just tried it again

Use this link with Internet Explorer: http://developers.sun.com/prodtech/javatools/jscreator/learning/tutorials/2/helloweb.html
If u get a different experience please share

When you "Save As" it counts to 97% or so and then returns a "Page Could Not Be Saved Error" make sure u're using the "Web Page, complete" option.

Curious, don't u think?
Re: How Can You Prevent A Webpage From Being Saved? by my2cents(m): 1:10pm On Dec 28, 2006
wilkanah,

I will confess that my answer doesnt reflect me actually testing the page but I will offer a possible reason y - with majority of the world using IE, it is possible that they could implement this to throw off the novices. Someone like me, when I c this, I resort to such things as switching to FF (well take that back, I do all my surfing in FF grin), viewing source (first try right-click , if they blk that, i go to the menus wink), etc. LOL
Re: How Can You Prevent A Webpage From Being Saved? by niceuzor: 4:29pm On Dec 28, 2006
@rock2

Guy the only way i know that u can prevent a webpage from being Saved is to
use Javascipt,but don't u think that The great Obantalatarapipipi Of Nairaland is
in a better position to help u, Abeg ask ham First,

Cheers man.
Re: How Can You Prevent A Webpage From Being Saved? by RuuDie(m): 4:35pm On Dec 28, 2006
@SBU

i've been lurking around the forum & it seems to me like u got a vast knowledge i web design , pls man i'd need some info 4rm u.
got dis site thingy dat i'm working on but havin sm stress , my major stress is coordinating online payment on d site into an account locally & how to create a sorta chat-room stage , pls man any help u can offer!
Re: How Can You Prevent A Webpage From Being Saved? by my2cents(m): 4:49pm On Dec 28, 2006
nice,

the javascript solution can be "danced" around in one of 2 ways:

1) disabling javascript in your browser, or

2) using your browser menus (view - source, then copy the source, paste, then save off all the images by referencing their respective paths).

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Successfully Upgrade Mysql Of Wamp Server / He Does Not Have Money For Hosting And Domain Name. What Should He Do? / How To Make Money On Blogging And Start Online Business.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.