Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:40 AM

21 Tell Tale Signs Of Emotional Abuse in marriage - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 21 Tell Tale Signs Of Emotional Abuse in marriage (20849 Views)

There Is A Thin Line Between Discipline And Emotional Abuse. Pls Read! / What We Men Really Pray For In Marriage (Photo) / Emotional Abuse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

21 Tell Tale Signs Of Emotional Abuse in marriage by Nobody: 2:45pm On Mar 02, 2015
In our nigerian society ,physical abuse is recognized but often times emotional abuse isn't

While some batterers are usually also emotionally abusive,emotional abuse can exist without the spouse ever laying a finger on the other.

This is a comprehensive list of emotional abuse culled from an online site

Couples should recognize that this is not acceptable behavior and should not become a pattern in the home

These signs are

Humiliating or embarrassing you.

Constant put-downs.

Hypercriticism.

Refusing to communicate.

Ignoring or excluding you.

Extramarital affairs.

Provocative behavior with opposite sex.

Use of sarcasm and unpleasant tone of voice.

Unreasonable jealousy.

Extreme moodiness.

Mean jokes or constantly making fun of you.

Saying “I love you but…”

Saying things like “If you don’t _____, I will_____.”

Domination and control.

Withdrawal of affection.

Guilt trips.

Making everything your fault.

Isolating you from friends and family.

Using money to control.

Constant calling or texting when you are not with him/her.

Threatening to commit suicide if you leave.

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2014/10/13/21-warning-signs-of-an-emotionally-abusive-relationship/

21 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 21 Tell Tale Signs Of Emotional Abuse in marriage by MizMyColi(f): 2:47pm On Mar 02, 2015
Could you please proffer a way forward?

3 Likes

Re: 21 Tell Tale Signs Of Emotional Abuse in marriage by Chrystover: 2:58pm On Mar 02, 2015
^^
Yes, simple. Stay away from marriage. Its not the ultimate.
undecided

14 Likes

Re: 21 Tell Tale Signs Of Emotional Abuse in marriage by TV01(m): 3:32pm On Mar 02, 2015
MizMyColi:
Could you please proffer a way forward?

Chrystover:
^^
undecided

Not really, stopping marriage will stop abuse. Most abuse - a greater amount of - takes place in non-marital domestic relationships. Marriage remains the saferst form of relationship for women and children - and by extrapolation men.

TVMIC

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 21 Tell Tale Signs Of Emotional Abuse in marriage by Nobody: 3:46pm On Mar 02, 2015
Chrystover:
^^
undecided

The truth is that a lot of these things would have been manifesting gradually BEFORE the marriage
It is rare that someone just wakes up one morning after marriage and starts to do all this

7 Likes

Re: 21 Tell Tale Signs Of Emotional Abuse in marriage by Funjosh(m): 4:34pm On Mar 02, 2015
Most of these things listed above are what we exhibits even before marriage self lipsrsealed

3 Likes

Re: 21 Tell Tale Signs Of Emotional Abuse in marriage by corisande: 10:28pm On Mar 02, 2015
noted
Re: 21 Tell Tale Signs Of Emotional Abuse in marriage by Ishilove: 11:20pm On Mar 02, 2015
babyosisi:
In our nigerian society ,physical abuse is recognized but often times emotional abuse isn't
While some batterers are usually also emotionally abusive,emotional abuse can exist without the spouse ever laying a finger on the other.
Couples should recognize that this is not acceptable behavior and should not become a pattern in the home

These signs are

Constant put-downs.

Hypercriticism.

Refusing to communicate.

Extramarital affairs.

Unreasonable jealousy.

Extreme moodiness.

Saying “I love you but…”

Domination and control.

Withdrawal of affection.

Guilt trips.

Using money to control.

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2014/10/13/21-warning-signs-of-an-emotionally-abusive-relationship/
How any woman can take this shaitza is beyond me. Humiliating/embarasssing me? undecided

7 Likes

Re: 21 Tell Tale Signs Of Emotional Abuse in marriage by Nobody: 12:46pm On Mar 03, 2015
Or just emotional abuse, period. It's more annoying than upsetting sef
Re: 21 Tell Tale Signs Of Emotional Abuse in marriage by greatgod2012(f): 1:32pm On Mar 03, 2015
babyosisi:

These signs are

Constant put-downs.

Hypercriticism.

Refusing to communicate.

Extramarital affairs.

Unreasonable jealousy.

Extreme moodiness.

Saying “I love you but…”

Domination and control.

Withdrawal of affection.

Guilt trips.

Using money to control.

anyone who has any of these traits should either not get married or be ready to change and be determined to treat his/her partner the way he/she will like to be treated.

For those saying not getting married is the solution, in all sincerity, can you take any of these from anyone?

The solution is simple.................if you can't take it, do not give it. If you're abusive yourself, you don't have the right to complain about abusive partner.
Do unto your spouse what you want him to do unto you.

And if you're not abusive, but so unlucky to get married to one(which is rare anyway), then, you have the right to find your way out to regain your sanity and your self esteem.may God help us all.

4 Likes

Re: 21 Tell Tale Signs Of Emotional Abuse in marriage by yuzjet(m): 7:20pm On Mar 03, 2015
Spot on!
Re: 21 Tell Tale Signs Of Emotional Abuse in marriage by Vitaglyde: 7:20pm On Mar 03, 2015
Re: 21 Tell Tale Signs Of Emotional Abuse in marriage by kingDELE(m): 7:22pm On Mar 03, 2015
ok
Re: 21 Tell Tale Signs Of Emotional Abuse in marriage by singlefade25(f): 7:22pm On Mar 03, 2015
Hmmmm
Re: 21 Tell Tale Signs Of Emotional Abuse in marriage by Pweetyradiance(f): 7:23pm On Mar 03, 2015
shadelek:

and 22 forcing you to lick his natural stick ( na sweet Abi na orange)
Re: 21 Tell Tale Signs Of Emotional Abuse in marriage by mczico: 7:23pm On Mar 03, 2015
.I go soon blow

change change change change
change change change change change

I mean gej till 2019

2 Likes

Re: 21 Tell Tale Signs Of Emotional Abuse in marriage by SmooshCHN: 7:23pm On Mar 03, 2015
greatgod2012:

anyone who has any of these traits should either not get married or be ready to change and be determined to treat his/her partner the way he/she will like to be treated.
For those saying not getting married is the solution, in all sincerity, can you take any of these from anyone?
The solution is simple.................if you can't take it, do not give it. If you're abusive yourself, you don't have the right to complain about abusive partner.
Do unto your spouse what you want him to do unto you.
And if you're not abusive, but so unlucky to get married to one(which is rare anyway), then, you have the right to find your way out to regain your sanity and your self esteem.may God help us all.
Thanks for that. There's always that warning sign before getting wedded. Mutual respect for each other helps alot.

1 Like

Re: 21 Tell Tale Signs Of Emotional Abuse in marriage by SmooshCHN: 7:25pm On Mar 03, 2015
Pweetyradiance:
and 22 forcing you to suck his natural stick.
Thank God I read this with my eyes closed smiley

1 Like

Re: 21 Tell Tale Signs Of Emotional Abuse in marriage by Nobody: 7:26pm On Mar 03, 2015
Making the big leagues again ?

* singing *

Rigoro n'oche Eze
Papa rigoro na Odi gi nma o
Rigoro n'oche eze

1 Like

Re: 21 Tell Tale Signs Of Emotional Abuse in marriage by GEJTHEONE(m): 7:27pm On Mar 03, 2015
#‎JoinTheVoice‬ ‪#‎GEJTHEONE‬ Dont be left out-Take a Bold Stand -Get your Own Customised Avatar by liking our Page and Inboxing your first name and picture to GEJTHEONE on facebook or to theone.gej@gmail.com

Re: 21 Tell Tale Signs Of Emotional Abuse in marriage by agabaI23(m): 7:27pm On Mar 03, 2015
Ishilove:

How any woman can take this shaitza is beyond me. Humiliating/embarasssing me? undecided
You assume it is only women that experience that?
Re: 21 Tell Tale Signs Of Emotional Abuse in marriage by Pweetyradiance(f): 7:28pm On Mar 03, 2015
SmooshCHN:
Thank God I read this with my eyes closed smiley
haha u will make a wonderful blind man then.
Re: 21 Tell Tale Signs Of Emotional Abuse in marriage by Pamcrest(f): 7:29pm On Mar 03, 2015
Lool Op, then we are all abusers. Though I agree with some points, I think some are just sometimes reactions to an unpleasant situation. Take myself for e.g, when he hurts me, my initial reaction is a loaded silence. And it will persist till he realizes his mistake. That's not emotional abuse naa grin
My humble submission

5 Likes

Re: 21 Tell Tale Signs Of Emotional Abuse in marriage by Nobody: 7:29pm On Mar 03, 2015
agabaI23:
You assume it is only women that experience that?

Sadly majority of abusers are men
Statistics ( like hips ) don't lie

3 Likes

Re: 21 Tell Tale Signs Of Emotional Abuse in marriage by SmooshCHN: 7:29pm On Mar 03, 2015
GEJTHEONE:
#‎JoinTheVoice‬ ‪#‎GEJTHEONE‬ Dont be left out-Take a Bold Stand -Get your Own Customised Avatar by liking our Page and Inboxing your first name and picture to GEJTHEONE on facebook or to theone.gej@gmail.com
This is an emotional abuse to we GMB supporters. OP I'm going to court. smiley
Re: 21 Tell Tale Signs Of Emotional Abuse in marriage by abe27633: 7:30pm On Mar 03, 2015
Sad sad
Re: 21 Tell Tale Signs Of Emotional Abuse in marriage by SmooshCHN: 7:32pm On Mar 03, 2015
Pweetyradiance:
haha u will make a wonderful blind man then.
Sadly I was but your post opened my eyes. Thanks to you.
Re: 21 Tell Tale Signs Of Emotional Abuse in marriage by zaynulAbideen: 7:33pm On Mar 03, 2015
D last one is funny...............threat to commit suicide means -1 problem for Nigeria

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Did You Tell Your Parents You Want To Marry? And What Was Their Reaction? / A Family Man Can Have This Too: / Nigerian Woman Delivers Triplets "After 9 Years Of Name-calling And Insults"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.