Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,846 members, 7,820,948 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:35 AM

Hey, Easy With The Name-calling! - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Hey, Easy With The Name-calling! (689 Views)

Hey! Abuja Folks Get Free Spicy Pizza From Uber And Gourmet / Picture: When You Keep Calling Your Man A Baby / Hey Drop Your Nickname (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Hey, Easy With The Name-calling! by distinkt(f): 6:03pm On Mar 02, 2015
I once gave a glimpse of people's reactions to albinos in [url][url]Ko K’Aye[/url[/url]]. What I did not say is, that scenario only accounts for less than 5 minutes of the average day of an albino; you cannot even begin to imagine how tough it can be.

The point-blank staring and name-calling can be very quiet unsettling and upsetting most times (if you let it). Here are a few of the names I have been called over the years, “Afin”, “Oyinbo”, “Unfortunate European”, “Whitey”, “Snow White”, “igo Oju”, “Four Eyes”, “Bat Eyes”, “Orisa”, “NEPA”, “Ebora”, “BonfrereJo”, “Afin o reran osan”, “Onyiocha”, “Ostrich”, “Yellow fowl”, etc.

Now, as you walk by, kids will chant, “Oyinbo pepper, if you eati pepper…” I do not blame the kids though, they are simply amused but every now and again, you see an adult who should know better, tap their kids and say, “Look, See Afin!”

Then the popular questions, “Why does your head shake?” “You are holding your phone so close, can you see?” They wave their hands in front of your face, “Can you see my hand, how many fingers?”. “Can you see in the dark?

Experience has thought me that most people feel no guilt in making crude remarks either because they are unaware of the effects of their words, because they simply do not care, or worse, because they actually set out to demean. I have often wondered why…

It may be fear which stems from an unconscious belief that to name something is to control it. People truly are likely to be controlled by repetitious name-calling when they begin to believe the name and act accordingly. This is the reason why albinos must never subject themselves to name-calling and most rise above.

Another reason may be lack of knowledge, curiosity or a genuine desire to learn. However, most people are faced with a frustrating inability to express questions constructively or with emotional intelligence. Albinos must therefore learn to excuse unknowing name-callers on this premise. Some people tease in order to get to know others better or to express affection. This kind of teasing usually does not hurt. However, if the person being teased does not have a positive self-image, and is uncomfortable with albinism, even affectionate teasing will hurt.

As part of society, we all hold a responsibility to educate the people around us; do not condone any form of name-calling. As for my white-nation brethren, you owe it to yourself to be happy and confident; it is handwork in this kind of environment but you are worth the handwork….

Ultimately, both sides of the divide must work to ensure that the albinos in the society can enjoy a measure of psychological health.

#SayNoToNameCalling

#LightSkinAfrica

1 Share

Re: Hey, Easy With The Name-calling! by DuchessLily(f): 6:09pm On Mar 02, 2015
Wow!

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Fellow Nigerians..why Is No One Talking? / Quote For The Day / ‘ankara Car’ Spotted In Yenagoa But We Think It’s Not Beautiful

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.