Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:03 AM

God Can Not Lie! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / God Can Not Lie! (1464 Views)

6 Ways Ministers Of God Can Avoid Scandals / Lord's Chosen Members Lie On The Ground, Perform Stunts In Benin. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

God Can Not Lie! by kristonium(m): 9:10am On Mar 03, 2015
'God does not lie' is grammatically correct but scripturally incorrect.
Consider this example:
1.Eze does not go to church
2.Eze can not go to church
The 1st statement means Eze may possess the capacity to go to church while the second statement indicate that Eze does not have the capacity to go to church.In other words even when Eze chooses to go to church he still won't be able to go!
In the same vein,when you say 'God does not lie',you are undermining the very essence of God!
Consider this scripture:

Titus 1:2 'In hope of eternal life, which God, that CANNOT lie, promised before the world began;'
The scripture made it abundantly clear that God CAN NOT lie! Its impossible! The very essence of God is TRUTH! That's why He is called the Truth!Dear brothers and sisters,God is bound by His Word! Whatever God can do His Word can do! As a matter of fact the world was framed by the Word!
Hebrews 11:3 'Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.'
Isaiah 55:11 'So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.'
Once God's word is released,it is mission bound!
Dear,I have no idea what God has said concerning your business,family, spouse,finances,profession,career,ministry,children, work etc
But one thing I know is that His word will surely come to pass.
Numbers 23:19 'God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?'
The appointed time has come!
Child of God!Get ready to jubilate!
I can't wait to hear your testimony!
Rejoice!
Re: God Can Not Lie! by finofaya: 2:26pm On Mar 03, 2015
Like man, God has the free will to choose between good and evil. He can choose to do evil. He can therefore lie.

4 Likes

Re: God Can Not Lie! by Weah96: 3:28pm On Mar 03, 2015
Therefore he's not omnipotent.

2 Likes

Re: God Can Not Lie! by kristonium(m): 7:32pm On Mar 04, 2015
finofaya:
Like man, God has the free will to choose between good and evil. He can choose to do evil. He can therefore lie.
Weah96:
Help!
Atheists have invaded my thread!
Re: God Can Not Lie! by nairalandbuzz(m): 7:38pm On Mar 04, 2015
It is not news. God is not omnipotent... Omniscient .... Omnipresent... If you want more explanation let me know... It is stated in the Bible.

Weah96:
Re: God Can Not Lie! by nairalandbuzz(m): 7:42pm On Mar 04, 2015
kristonium:

Help!

Its the truth... He chose not to do evil. There are places where God killed people for good... Satan also kills for evil...

God created men as He Himself is... Also Angels were created with such free will... They can lie but chose not to.

Remember he sent a deceiving spirit to lie to the prophets in the old testament...

Study the bible.
Re: God Can Not Lie! by mmsen: 8:15pm On Mar 04, 2015
nairalandbuzz:

Its the truth... He chose not to do evil. There are places where God killed people for good... Satan also kills for evil...

God created men as He Himself is... Also Angels were created with such free will... They can lie but chose not to.

Remember he sent a deceiving spirit to lie to the prophets in the old testament...

Study the bible.

Drowning innocent babies isn't evil?

Watching idly by whilst evil is being done is not enabling evil? Therefore making you evil?

I've noticed that the people most eager to cite the Bible have the most warped moral compass.
Re: God Can Not Lie! by nairalandbuzz(m): 8:37pm On Mar 04, 2015
mmsen:

Watching idly by whilst evil is does is not enabling evil? Therefore making you evil?

I've noticed that the people most eager to cite the Bible have the most warped moral compass.

Are you saying you are corrupt cos some of ur country men are corrupt?
Re: God Can Not Lie! by finofaya: 8:44pm On Mar 04, 2015
kristonium:

Help!

Nobody can help you now. I don spread mat for your thread.
Re: God Can Not Lie! by mmsen: 9:00pm On Mar 04, 2015
nairalandbuzz:

Are you saying you are corrupt cos some of ur country men are corrupt?

No, again you fail to grasp a very simple concept.

If you have power and you refuse to use it do good or to avoid harm coming to those who have not set out to cause harm to others then you are guilty of neglect. If you claim to be all powerful then you have given your implicit consent to the evil acts and thus you are not wholly good.

1 Like

Re: God Can Not Lie! by kristonium(m): 11:28pm On Mar 04, 2015
mmsen:

If you have power and you refuse to use it do good or to avoid harm coming to those who have not set out to cause harm to others then you are guilty of neglect. If you claim to be all powerful then you have given your implicit consent to the evil acts and thus you are not wholly good.
finofaya:

Nobody can help you now. I don spread mat for your thread.
mmsen:

Watching idly by whilst evil is being done is not enabling evil? Therefore making you evil?
nairalandbuzz:

Study the bible.
nairalandbuzz:
It is not news. God is not omnipotent... Omniscient .... Omnipresent... If you want more explanation let me know... It is stated in the Bible.
too bad!
I wish I can engage u theoretically..yea I would have gladly done that!It will only be waste of time! Dear,knowing God is by revelation and not by information! Its not by winning argument! I won't even waste my precious time arguing with you! But I owe you love and prayers! But Saul who later became Paul did more than you guys and God arrested and he become the most accomplished apostle.
Some of you will start having definite encounter with God from tonight!
It has happened here on nairaland before when an atheist by name Banwo or so surrendered to the Lordship of our Jesus Christ!
Who is next?
Re: God Can Not Lie! by nairalandbuzz(m): 4:43am On Mar 05, 2015
mmsen:

Guy I am a Christian. Have you read where God said He created light and darkness... Good and evil... I created them all says He?

Even the Holy book says study to show urself approved.
Re: God Can Not Lie! by finofaya: 7:53am On Mar 05, 2015
kristonium:

too bad!
I wish I can engage u theoretically..yea I would have gladly done that!It will only be waste of time! Dear,knowing God is by revelation and not by information! Its not by winning argument! I won't even waste my precious time arguing with you! But I owe you love and prayers! But Saul who later became Paul did more than you guys and God arrested and he become the most accomplished apostle.
Some of you will start having definite encounter with God from tonight!
It has happened here on nairaland before when an atheist by name Banwo or so surrendered to the Lordship of our Jesus Christ!

Amen.
Re: God Can Not Lie! by mmsen: 9:20am On Mar 05, 2015
nairalandbuzz:

Guy I am a Christian. Have you read where God said He created light and darkness... Good and evil... I created them all says He?

Even the Holy book says study to show urself approved.

For one to create evil one would need to be evil, at least in part.

1 Like

Re: God Can Not Lie! by nairalandbuzz(m): 9:53am On Mar 05, 2015
mmsen:

For one to create evil one would need to be evil, at least in part.

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. Isa 47:7

Isaiah 45:7 and Amos 3:6

(Isaiah 45:7, KJV) - "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things."
(Amos 3:6) - "Shall a trumpet be blown in the city, and the people not be afraid? shall there be evil in a city, and the LORD hath not done it?"

Is God really the one who created evil? To answer the question we must first look at how the word for evil, rah, is used in the Bible, examine the context of the Isaiah 45:7 passage, and look at other passages on the same subject.

First of all, the Hebrew word for evil, rah, is used in many different ways in the Bible. In the KJV Bible it occurs 663 times. 431 times it is translated as evil. The other 232 times it is translated as wicked, bad, hurt, harm, ill, sorrow, mischief, displeased, adversity, affliction, trouble, calamity, grievous, misery, and trouble. So we can see that the word does not require that it be translated as evil. This is why different Bibles translate this verse differently. It is translated as calamity by the NASB and NKJV; disaster by the NIV; and woe by the RSV.

Second, the context of the verse is speaking of natural phenomena.

"I am the Lord, and there is no other; Besides Me there is no God. I will gird you, though you have not known Me; 6That men may know from the rising to the setting of the sun That there is no one besides Me. I am the Lord, and there is no other, 7The One forming light and creating darkness, Causing well-being and creating calamity; I am the Lord who does all these," (Isaiah 45:5-7).

Notice that the context of the verse is dealing with who God is, that it is God who speaks of natural phenomena (sun, light, dark), and it is God who is able to cause "well-being" as well as "calamity." Contextually, this verse is dealing with natural disasters and human comfort issues. It is not speaking of moral evil; rather, it is dealing with calamity, distress, etc. This is consistent with other scriptures. For example,

"And the Lord said to him, "Who has made man’s mouth? Or who makes him dumb or deaf, or seeing or blind? Is it not I, the Lord?" (Exodus 4:11).
"Shall a trumpet be blown in the city, and the people not be afraid? shall there be evil in a city, and the LORD hath not done it?" (Amos 3:6).

Also, take note that Isaiah is presenting contrasts. He speaks of "light" and "darkness," "well being" and "calamity." The word "well-being" in the Hebrew is the word for 'peace,' "Shalome." So, in the context, we are seeing two sets of opposites: Light and dark, peace and non-peace, or well being and calamity. The "evil" that is spoken of is not ontological evil, but the evil experienced by people in the form of calamity.

From the above two verses (Exodus 4:11; Amos 3:6) we can see that the Lord is involved in calamity and problems in the earthly realm. Exodus 4:11 is speaking of human frailty and Amos 3:6 is speaking of woes in a city. It is not a moral evil that God brings, but calamity and distress upon people.
Of course, this raises other questions of why God would do such a thing, which I won't cover here. But, we can trust that whatever God does is just and is used for teaching, guiding, and disciplining His people.

Third, there are other verses that clearly show that God is pure and that He cannot approve of evil.

“The Rock! His work is perfect, For all His ways are just; a God of faithfulness and without injustice, righteous and upright is He," (Deut. 32:4).
"Thine eyes are too pure to approve evil, and Thou canst not look on wickedness with favor," (Hab. 1:13).

We can see that the Bible teaches that God is pure and does not approve of evil, that the word rah (evil) in Hebrew can mean many things, and that contextually the verse is speaking of calamity and distress. Therefore, God does not create evil in the moral sense, but in the sense of disaster or calamity.

https://carm.org/does-god-create-evil
Re: God Can Not Lie! by mmsen: 10:36am On Mar 05, 2015
nairalandbuzz:

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. Isa 47:7

So your god created everything, apart from those subjects that make you uncomfortable.

Your god is omnipotent but not omniresponsible.

What a peculiar being.

1 Like

Re: God Can Not Lie! by nairalandbuzz(m): 12:21pm On Mar 05, 2015
mmsen:

So your god created everything, apart from those subjects that make you uncomfortable.

Your god is omnipotent but not omniresponsible.

What a peculiar being.

You call yourself an Atheist and you have forgotten that your predecessors read abreast for good and palatable knowledge.

He created everything and I still stand by it. If you cant open your dark stale water-filled eyes to read, its ur cup of tea...

He is not Omnipotent and if you dont know that, youre a dunce.
Re: God Can Not Lie! by mmsen: 12:27pm On Mar 05, 2015
nairalandbuzz:

You call yourself an Atheist and you have forgotten that your predecessors read abreast for good and palatable knowledge.

He created everything and I still stand by it. If you cant open your dark stale water-filled eyes to read, its ur cup of tea...

He is not Omnipotent and if you dont know that, youre a dunce.

"I am God Almighty" (Genesis 17:1)

"And God said to him, “I am God Almighty; be fruitful and increase in number." (Genesis 35:11)

"Alleluia! For the Lord God Omnipotent reigns!” (Revelation 19:6)

Did the author of those verses lie?
Re: God Can Not Lie! by Pr0ton: 12:38pm On Mar 05, 2015
"God can not lie"

1 Kings 22:23

Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets, and the LORD hath spoken evil concerning thee.
Re: God Can Not Lie! by nairalandbuzz(m): 1:16pm On Mar 05, 2015
mmsen:

"I am God Almighty" (Genesis 17:1)

"And God said to him, “I am God Almighty; be fruitful and increase in number." (Genesis 35:11)

"Alleluia! For the Lord God Omnipotent reigns!” (Revelation 19:6)

Did the author of those verses lie?

The KJV New Testament Greek Lexicon

Strong's Number: 3841 Browse Lexicon
Original Word Word Origin
pantokravtwr from (3956) and (2904)
Transliterated Word TDNT Entry
Pantokrator 3:914,466
Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech
pan-tok-rat'-ore Noun Masculine
Definition(of Omnipotent)

he who holds sway over all things
the ruler of all
almighty: God

King James Word Usage - Total: 10
Almighty 9, omnipotent 1
Re: God Can Not Lie! by mmsen: 1:19pm On Mar 05, 2015
nairalandbuzz:

The KJV New Testament Greek Lexicon

Strong's Number: 3841 Browse Lexicon
Original Word Word Origin
pantokravtwr from (3956) and (2904)
Transliterated Word TDNT Entry
Pantokrator 3:914,466
Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech
pan-tok-rat'-ore Noun Masculine
Definition(of Omnipotent)

he who holds sway over all things
the ruler of all
almighty: God

King James Word Usage - Total: 10
Almighty 9, omnipotent 1

The reason why you fail to see the stupidity that is xtian dogma is because you fail to understand the English language.

al·might·y (ôl-mī′tē)
adj.
1. Having absolute power; all-powerful
Re: God Can Not Lie! by nairalandbuzz(m): 1:22pm On Mar 05, 2015
mmsen:

Not only do you fail to understand xtian dogma but you also fail to understand English.

al·might·y (ôl-mī′tē)
adj.
1. Having absolute power; all-powerful

Not only have you failed to understand the writings of the Holy book, you have also failed in reading the dictionary...

almighty
adverb
Definition of ALMIGHTY
: to a great degree : extremely <although he did not precisely starve, he was almighty hungry — W. A. Swanberg>
Examples of ALMIGHTY

<that's an almighty large pumpkin you've grown there>

First Known Use of ALMIGHTY

That was after the letter was written. You guys have forgotten that the bible was written in another language and in translation, they have to look for words to express the message...

Ish to you
Re: God Can Not Lie! by mmsen: 1:24pm On Mar 05, 2015
nairalandbuzz:

Not only have you failed to understand the writings of the Holy book, you have also failed in reading the dictionary...

almighty
adverb
Definition of ALMIGHTY
: to a great degree : extremely <although he did not precisely starve, he was almighty hungry — W. A. Swanberg>
Examples of ALMIGHTY

<that's an almighty large pumpkin you've grown there>

First Known Use of ALMIGHTY

That was after the letter was written. You guys have forgotten that the bible was written in another language and in translation, they have to look for words to express the message...

Ish to you

Here's a link seeing as how you are intent on lying to yourself - http://www.thefreedictionary.com/almighty.

NIV is intended to be understood by English speakers in the 21st century.

The modern dictionary says that "almighty" is a synonym for "omnipotent".

Christians sing about their immortal, omnipotent god yet here you are claiming that that is not their dogma.

I suggest that you take an English language course before you re-read the Bible.

P.S.
Could you please post a link to the definition that you posted.

Thanks.
Re: God Can Not Lie! by nairalandbuzz(m): 1:39pm On Mar 05, 2015
mmsen:

Here's a link seeing as how you are intent on lying to yourself - http://www.thefreedictionary.com/almighty.

NIV is intended to be understood by English speakers in the 21st century.

The modern dictionary says that "almighty" is a synonym for "omnipotent".

Christians sing about their immortal, omnipotent god yet here you are claiming that that is not their dogma.

I suggest that you take an English language course before you re-read the Bible.

P.S.
Could you please post a link to the definition that you posted.

Thanks.

Its http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/almighty

I use merriam webster for my definitions cos it shows the origin of words and sorts of...

In Yoruba, there is a word called Omowe... Which can mean so many things...

An intellect in a special field, or a guru in all fields or a collector of books knowing the themes and fittings.

So it is with the words of the bible. God is all powerful and there is no doubt about that. But that does not mean that he can do all things... He mention some things that he cannot do...

He cannot lie
He cannot change His word
He cannot be unholy
He cannot take sides
He cannot stop loving you
He cannot remember the sins he already said he wont remember

And in the normal sense of people, being omnipotent does not have a negative side. He stated the cannot(s) in the bible.
Re: God Can Not Lie! by mmsen: 1:58pm On Mar 05, 2015
nairalandbuzz:

Its http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/almighty

I use merriam webster for my definitions cos it shows the origin of words and sorts of...

In Yoruba, there is a word called Omowe... Which can mean so many things...

An intellect in a special field, or a guru in all fields or a collector of books knowing the themes and fittings.

So it is with the words of the bible. God is all powerful and there is no doubt about that. But that does not mean that he can do all things... He mention some things that he cannot do...

He cannot lie
He cannot change His word
He cannot be unholy
He cannot take sides
He cannot stop loving you
He cannot remember the sins he already said he wont remember

And in the normal sense of people, being omnipotent does not have a negative side. He stated the cannot(s) in the bible.

All powerful, omnipotent, almighty however you wish to describe your 'god' - those are absolute terms. It's all or nothing.

You are either all powerful or you are not.

You cannot be partially 'omnipotent' - either you can do everything or you cannot. Either you have dominion over all, or you do not. It's a very simple concept.
Re: God Can Not Lie! by nairalandbuzz(m): 2:01pm On Mar 05, 2015
mmsen:

All powerful, omnipotent, almight however you wish to describe your 'god' - those are absolute terms. It's all or nothing.

You are either all powerful or you are not.

You cannot be partially 'omnipotent' - either you can do everything or you cannot. Either you have dominion over all, or you do not. It's a very simple concept.

Noted

(1) (Reply)

VIDEO: Man Turns To Dog In Church / The Most Confusing Christian Song In Church. / [superstition] The Making Of Smart Morons

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.