Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,004 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:33 AM

What Do Nigerians Do With The Tinubu Documentary?- ABIMBOLA ADELAKUN (punch) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Do Nigerians Do With The Tinubu Documentary?- ABIMBOLA ADELAKUN (punch) (31820 Views)

"Why We Wish Our Presidents Dead" - Abimbola Adelakun / Is Akeredolu's Victory In Ondo The End Of The Tinubu Political Dynasty? / Court Restrains AIT From Airing Defamatory Tinubu Documentary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do Nigerians Do With The Tinubu Documentary?- ABIMBOLA ADELAKUN (punch) by tbaba1234: 8:24am On Mar 05, 2015
What do Nigerians do with the Tinubu documenary
Abimbola Adelakun

In January, a documentary about the All Progressives Congress’ presidential candidate, Maj. Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (retd.) aired on a private television station, the African Independent Television. Since it surfaced weeks before the elections, it was obviously calibrated to destroy his image before the voting public.

If it were possible, I would have demanded a refund of my time from the producers because the material turned out to be vapid. It was a waste of resources and facts of history; a half-hearted effort by someone who could not wait to be paid.

The producers were so lazy they could not even search for concrete evidence but relied primarily on secondary sources. Since the documentarists are likely working for the incumbent government, what stops them from raiding official files to expose hitherto unknown yet damaging facts about Buhari? Bland as diet soda, “The Real Buhari” said nothing new and could not even repeat his old things with gusto.

Now, they – the same faceless documentarists and the AIT – have found another moving target and that is the former governor of Lagos State, Bola Tinubu. They woke up from their Rip Van Winkle sleep to share an amazing piece of information: That Tinubu is corrupt!

It is funny Tinubu is threatening to sue them for N20bn. No, he should be paying them because from the very rhetoric employed to narrate the stories of his alleged corruption, to the facts presented, the entire package is a lionisation of the man and his politico-economic activities. They even juxtaposed him with Roman emperors and described him as the “biggest landlord in Nigeria.” Such a deployment of language is not as damaging as it is a valorisation and celebration of an individual – without the benefit of state invested powers – who runs through a loose system and leaves the actual holders of political power reeling and wondering what hit them.

We know this is all about the coming elections. It cannot be otherwise because Tinubu has been walking free for years, without fear of being pursued for all he is accused of. This effort is clearly not about social justice; this is not the pursuit of the cause of democracy; nor about purging the intestines of our society of destructive corruption. No, this is an attempt to shift public opinion of the man who personifies his party. We know he is Buhari’s main backer and if the Buhari documentary has failed to slow down his momentum, the next sensible thing is to remove the stick that props him.

Unlike “The Real Buhari”, however, I have a different reaction to the documentary on Tinubu – titled, “The Lion of Bourdillon”, because this is an accusation about an offence that charges at the very soul of our society. The documentary on Tinubu is not an incoherent account of a dictator’s unsavoury past; it is about the present and of course, the future. This is about – if the facts in the documentary were true – an individual’s expansionist tendencies which should not be overlooked simply because we want to send an inept government packing.

63 Likes 9 Shares

Re: What Do Nigerians Do With The Tinubu Documentary?- ABIMBOLA ADELAKUN (punch) by tbaba1234: 8:24am On Mar 05, 2015
I have some questions for the makers and sponsors of this documentary: What should Nigerians do with the Tinubu documentary? What action are they trying to stimulate from the populace? Do they want us to carry placards and march on the Third Mainland Bridge? Or like ancient Jews, tear our clothes and pour ashes on our heads? Or simply reject him and his candidate at the polls? If we take the last path and vote out the APC, so what? What does that singular action translate to for our democracy in the grand scheme of things?

My point is the man has been out of power for almost eight years now. He has no constitutional immunity that prevents him from being interrogated by the law enforcement agents and if he is corrupt (or is merely stealing!), he should by now have been arrested, prosecuted and, imprisoned if convicted. If the state cannot use the instruments of democratic processes to curtail him, why transfer that responsibility to the public? The documentary even lamented that it is a “mystery” how he has been able to colonise Lagos and “hold down everybody’s dreams.” Precisely, what stops the Police, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and the courts from unravelling this “mystery” since this is why they are being paid to exist? Unless of course they are arguing that the man uses supernatural power to blind Lady Justice to his activities.

Let’s not forget, in 2011, Tinubu faced the Code of Conduct Tribunal and none of the charges against him stuck. I remember seeing pictures of him in court acting “cool” over the whole mess. Three governors in his party, then Action Congress of Nigeria, travelled to Abuja to lend him moral support. I recall seeing the governor of my state among the “owambe” lot, laughing heartedly as if it was his daughter’s wedding day. Something died inside me that day. I interrogated myself over why a similar outrage when Bode George – who, in the mother of ironies, had a cameo appearance in the documentary – turned his court trial into a carnival. We all pontificated about the “Aso Ebi” wearing crowd as a metaphor for collective societal failing that allowed such communal display of defiance of socio-cultural mores. The preachers and puritans who wrote tomes lambasting George quietly looked away when it got to Tinubu’s turn. Why, I wondered, is the concept of morality so notoriously fickle and subject to negotiation when we switch personalities but leave the context intact?

Well, Tinubu walked free from that pretend trial in 2011 leaving some of us wondering whether the whole affair was not a charade staged to exonerate the man from his obsessed accusers; a staged “Thank you” for delivering his constituency during the year’s elections.

Now, a question for the “faceless” documentarists: If Tinubu is guilty of any crime, why not subject him to legal processes? That, in case they are unaware, is what democratic processes recommend. They are not supposed to join the masses to lament one man “holding down everybody’s dream.”

Let me state this point to the Peoples Democratic Party- and those who are using the documentary to publicly prosecute Tinubu. There is a description for that kind of behaviour: Impotence. If the man is truly guilty of the crimes they have tagged him with and they refuse to use the law to deal with him, but instead chose to hide behind silly documentaries, then they are testifying both to his invincibility and to their administrative incompetence that allows corruption to become a phenomenon. I am not sure that is a prudent move on their part.

By the way, the speed with which they come up with these documentaries is amazing considering that they have not even been able to produce a manifesto of what Nigeria stands to gain if the PDP is re-elected. It should be a scandal but shame died for them a long time ago.

http://www.punchng.com/opinion/viewpoint/what-do-nigerians-do-with-the-tinubu-documentary/

241 Likes 21 Shares

Re: What Do Nigerians Do With The Tinubu Documentary?- ABIMBOLA ADELAKUN (punch) by PassingShot(m): 8:35am On Mar 05, 2015
PDP has abandoned tending to leprosy and concentrating on ordinary rashes.

For all we care, Tinubu is not on the ballot neither is he on the ticket. If you have evidence that he is corrupt, please prosecute him according to the law of the land. In fact, it will be appreciated by all well-meaning Nigerians.

Jonathan is corruption-personified, this we know.

"Jonathan's government is incompetent, callous and very corrupt" - The Economist

"Jonathan's record on corruption is a disgrace" - The Guardian, UK

"Nigeria under Jonathan, squandered all wealth and breeds corruption" - Hilary Clinton

"Massive, widespread and pervasive corruption affecting all levels of government under Jonathan" - US State Department

242 Likes 11 Shares

Re: What Do Nigerians Do With The Tinubu Documentary?- ABIMBOLA ADELAKUN (punch) by SeverusSnape(m): 8:36am On Mar 05, 2015
It's good Nigerians know who their so-called agents of change are, Show me your friend, and I'll tell you who you are, the illiterate buhari can't say he's an anti kwarufshion czar when he rolls with the emperor of Corruption himself.

@ PassingShot, Tinubu is not on the ballot, but he's the APC overall leader, What sort of schange is an unrepentant thief and drug baron bring to Nigeria?... What sort of schange will an illiterate Certificateless entity bring to Nigeria

Tinubu is a corrupt man.
Buhari is a combination of kwarufshion, illiteracy and fanatism.

115 Likes 12 Shares

Re: What Do Nigerians Do With The Tinubu Documentary?- ABIMBOLA ADELAKUN (punch) by TI1919(m): 8:38am On Mar 05, 2015
Space book
Re: What Do Nigerians Do With The Tinubu Documentary?- ABIMBOLA ADELAKUN (punch) by CyberTerrorist: 8:39am On Mar 05, 2015
This jagabanti documentary is like a tsunami in APC's camp.. grin

Ps:I'm back from sabbatical angry

61 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Do Nigerians Do With The Tinubu Documentary?- ABIMBOLA ADELAKUN (punch) by otr1(m): 8:39am On Mar 05, 2015
My point is the man has been out of power for almost eight years now. He has no constitutional immunity that prevents him from being interrogated by the law enforcement agents and if he is corrupt (or is merely stealing!), he should by now have been arrested, prosecuted and, imprisoned if convicted. If the state cannot use the instruments of democratic processes to curtail him, why transfer that responsibility to the public?
The stupidity of PDP Leaders and their bunch of imbeciles is beyond me. GEJ won't escape my wrath on 28th.

203 Likes 12 Shares

Re: What Do Nigerians Do With The Tinubu Documentary?- ABIMBOLA ADELAKUN (punch) by Nobody: 8:40am On Mar 05, 2015
U will soon see bastards supporting tinubu, well I don't blame dose fools, dey got mouth odour like dem mentor.

59 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Do Nigerians Do With The Tinubu Documentary?- ABIMBOLA ADELAKUN (punch) by tbaba1234: 8:43am On Mar 05, 2015
SeverusSnape:
It's good Nigerians know who their so-called agents of change are, Show me your friend, and I'll tell you who you are, the illiterate buhari can't say phe's an anti kwarufshion czar when he rolls with the emperor of Corruption himself.

The documentary is like market woman gossip. If you have facts, prosecute him. You have all the instruments of state. He has no immunity.

As it stands, it is just slander as Tinubu has not been convicted of anything.

168 Likes 7 Shares

Re: What Do Nigerians Do With The Tinubu Documentary?- ABIMBOLA ADELAKUN (punch) by otr1(m): 8:49am On Mar 05, 2015
SeverusSnape:
It's good Nigerians know who their so-called agents of change are, Show me your friend, and I'll tell you who you are, the illiterate buhari can't say he's an anti kwarufshion czar when he rolls with the emperor of Corruption himself.
Reasonable Nigerians are not interested in knowing them. They are interested in seeing corrupt individuals and thieves prosecuted and punished if found guilty- something GEJ administration is incapable of doing.

154 Likes 9 Shares

Re: What Do Nigerians Do With The Tinubu Documentary?- ABIMBOLA ADELAKUN (punch) by babatundeizbad(m): 8:52am On Mar 05, 2015
As far as I am concerned, if these accusations are facts and can be proven in the courts then why is he a free man with not a single corruption charge against him.
Clueless Ijaw president, next time please use the EFCC and not the AIT to prove that Tinubu is corrupt.

165 Likes 10 Shares

Re: What Do Nigerians Do With The Tinubu Documentary?- ABIMBOLA ADELAKUN (punch) by justhelp(m): 8:52am On Mar 05, 2015
No one can change the mind of progressive people in Nigeria, even if they jail Tinubu, people have decided and ready for change,Nigerians are smart and politically wiser now,its a facts that Pdp has nothing to offer us and killing the future of nigerian youth with empty promises for 16years, this time around change is inevitable.

69 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Do Nigerians Do With The Tinubu Documentary?- ABIMBOLA ADELAKUN (punch) by PassingShot(m): 8:54am On Mar 05, 2015
SeverusSnape:

@ PassingShot, Tinubu is not on the ballot, but he's the APC overall leader, What sort of schange is an unrepentant thief and drug baron bring to Nigeria?... What sort of schange will an illiterate Certificateless entity bring to Nigeria

Tinubu is a corrupt man.
Buhari is a combination of kwarufshion, illiteracy and fanatism.

If Tinubu is a corrupt man, what is Jonathan?

104 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Do Nigerians Do With The Tinubu Documentary?- ABIMBOLA ADELAKUN (punch) by SeverusSnape(m): 8:59am On Mar 05, 2015
PassingShot:

If Tinubu is a corrupt man, what is Jonathan?
I don't know. Tell me.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do Nigerians Do With The Tinubu Documentary?- ABIMBOLA ADELAKUN (punch) by Lavidah: 9:01am On Mar 05, 2015
You try desparately to smear the opposition party, but no effect.

You desparately attack the personality of their presidential candidate, but NO show!

You shift elections forward, it's still not working.

Ok, you guys gang up to remove the INEC chairman... Nigerians no gree o.

Let's reject the PVC reader..... Oops road block.

Well, since we only steal but we are not corrupt, we can use our ally's TV station to cook up another corruption storm around that Tinubu guy, their party leader since the election is near.

Effect loading.......... Access Denied.

133 Likes 8 Shares

Re: What Do Nigerians Do With The Tinubu Documentary?- ABIMBOLA ADELAKUN (punch) by politricks: 9:01am On Mar 05, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:
U will soon see bastards supporting tinubu, well I don't blame dose fools, dey got mouth odour like dem mentor.
Has Tinubu ever been convicted Yes or no

32 Likes

Re: What Do Nigerians Do With The Tinubu Documentary?- ABIMBOLA ADELAKUN (punch) by justhelp(m): 9:06am On Mar 05, 2015
Mods do the needful fp please
Re: What Do Nigerians Do With The Tinubu Documentary?- ABIMBOLA ADELAKUN (punch) by GeneralBosco: 9:09am On Mar 05, 2015
JONATHAN/PDP SAID THEY ARE FIGHTING CORRUPTION THROUGH TECHNOLOGY, MAYBE THIS IS ONE OF THEIR METHODS - CREATING DOCUMENTARIES FOR CORRUPT PEOPLE. BUNCH OF CLUELESS FOOLS WITH DERANGED SUPPORTERS grin grin grin grin grin

121 Likes 11 Shares

Re: What Do Nigerians Do With The Tinubu Documentary?- ABIMBOLA ADELAKUN (punch) by GeneralBosco: 9:10am On Mar 05, 2015
In sane countries, when evidences are present condemning a Politician for corruption, that politician is prosecuted and sent to jail if found guilty. In Nigeria, led by the useless PDP led government, the punishment for corruption as shown in the Tinubu case is for a documentary to be made on you. What level of cluelessness is that?? shocked

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do Nigerians Do With The Tinubu Documentary?- ABIMBOLA ADELAKUN (punch) by alaoeri: 9:24am On Mar 05, 2015
If PDP like they should come up with a documentary that Jagaban killed Jesus Christ, it won't change the fact that Jona will be beaten black & blue at the polls come March 28.

66 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Do Nigerians Do With The Tinubu Documentary?- ABIMBOLA ADELAKUN (punch) by sammieguze(m): 9:29am On Mar 05, 2015
Well... The gcfr said 'stealing is not corruption' (sic)

so... What re u saying?

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Do Nigerians Do With The Tinubu Documentary?- ABIMBOLA ADELAKUN (punch) by Safari29: 9:34am On Mar 05, 2015
SeverusSnape:

I don't know. Tell me.

useless fool.ish Oloshi Alaraka president. He is a bloody follower not a leader

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Do Nigerians Do With The Tinubu Documentary?- ABIMBOLA ADELAKUN (punch) by Safari29: 9:35am On Mar 05, 2015
We don't have a president

33 Likes

Re: What Do Nigerians Do With The Tinubu Documentary?- ABIMBOLA ADELAKUN (punch) by Change2015(m): 9:44am On Mar 05, 2015
One is rightly ashamed of this government that wants to cling to power using rumor, gossip, propaganda, money and not it's record of performance. If there is evidence to back any claims of a crime, prosecute or shut the fvck up! This is how the boko haram issue has lingered for 5 years because Jonathan has no idea about doing the right thing at the right time. As it is, lack of electricity will have prevented the vast majority from seeing the crapumentary but the apc is cool under pressure and certain of victory no matter how much the pdp flails about looking for an issue to cling to. #change is coming March 28th

#change
#GMB
#APC

69 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Do Nigerians Do With The Tinubu Documentary?- ABIMBOLA ADELAKUN (punch) by Nobody: 9:50am On Mar 05, 2015
Point of correction, that was no documentary but a narration laced with baseless conjectures.
The core reason why the security agents even from abuja till date sees no credence in all the allegations.
To me, till date it remains lamentations of Tewonde George.

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do Nigerians Do With The Tinubu Documentary?- ABIMBOLA ADELAKUN (punch) by reborn1: 9:50am On Mar 05, 2015
They should send him to jail if they have the evidense instead of wasting money on rubbish documentary and gossip. Smh

23 Likes

Re: What Do Nigerians Do With The Tinubu Documentary?- ABIMBOLA ADELAKUN (punch) by Nobody: 9:50am On Mar 05, 2015
gej wants us to use it and soak garri.

19 Likes

Re: What Do Nigerians Do With The Tinubu Documentary?- ABIMBOLA ADELAKUN (punch) by Trailblazer1(m): 9:51am On Mar 05, 2015
I'd like to explicitly state my disbelief at peoples response to Tinubu's documentary

So funny to see the victims of corruption defend the thief
So strange to see those whose future was mortgaged by a thief rise to his defense.
All in a bid to defend our political stance even when it is immoral. SMH

In response to the title of this post:
The purpose of the documentary is simply to expose the THIEF behind the CHANGE mantra
Afterall the nothing good comes from the devil

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do Nigerians Do With The Tinubu Documentary?- ABIMBOLA ADELAKUN (punch) by ayusco85(m): 9:51am On Mar 05, 2015
Good morning everyone, am just waking up.......

*yawns*
Abeg who get sugar and milk? I wan take custard.

8 Likes

Re: What Do Nigerians Do With The Tinubu Documentary?- ABIMBOLA ADELAKUN (punch) by Kolade354(m): 9:52am On Mar 05, 2015
Pot calling kettle black..........Jonathan is corrupt,Fani -kayode spening aviation money on Bianca,Bamangar Tukur son is not yet convincted with subsidy money.................

15 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

#HarassBuhariOutOfLondon: Reno Omokri Continues With Protest (Video, Photos) / Bayelsa Tops States With Malnourished Under-five Children —report / FG May Withdraw Dogara’s Security Details

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.