Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,672 members, 7,865,702 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 12:16 AM

I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" (9465 Views)

What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? / How To Write EFCC Application Letter / Difference Between A Cover Letter And An Application Letter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by Olucheye(m): 11:11pm On Mar 05, 2015
VickyRotex:

I'd advise you type both seperately and attach. Although some company websites will ask you to copy and paste your Cover letter in a box.

If they dont ask for that, its better typed as Ms Word, or converted to Pdf (depending on the type of file they requested for) and attached to e-mail, or uploaded to company's application site

When both the application letter & Cv are attached to the email, is it of best practice to have a cover letter for them?
Or, just notify the HR of the attachment of both documents?
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by VickyRotex(f): 11:46pm On Mar 05, 2015
Olucheye:

When both the application letter & Cv are attached to the email, is it of best practice to have a cover letter for them?
Or, just notify the HR of the attachment of both documents?

You can just write in something like this after attaching your CV and Application/Cover letter

***Please find attached a copy of my CV and Application or Cover Letter

I look forward to speaking with you further regarding your available position(s).

Thanks in anticipation

Kind Regards,

Your Name ***

N.B Its not compulsory you write it exactly like this, its just a format I use in most cases.
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by butanep(m): 12:51am On Mar 06, 2015
VickyRotex:

I have sent it... Please confirm and revert!!!
please can you send me a format of a cover letter and a good CV.

Will really be grateful.
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by VickyRotex(f): 12:53am On Mar 06, 2015
butanep:

Will really be grateful.

Okay, can you drop your email ad?
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by butanep(m): 12:59am On Mar 06, 2015
VickyRotex:

Okay, can you drop your email ad?
malomiprosper@gmail.com

Thanks in anticipation
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by VickyRotex(f): 1:06am On Mar 06, 2015
butanep:
malomiprosper@gmail.com

Thanks in anticipation

Sent you a mail
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by butanep(m): 1:07am On Mar 06, 2015
VickyRotex:

Sent you a mail
thanks dear. Really appreciate

Just got your mail now...
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by VickyRotex(f): 1:24am On Mar 06, 2015
butanep:
thanks dear. Really appreciate

Just got your mail now...

You welcome

1 Like

Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by Nobody: 6:13am On Mar 06, 2015
uboma:

Noted.

***modified***

I have sent it. Please acknowledge receipt.

Cheers

I've received it Sir. A wonderful job you've done there. Thanks so much.
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by Nobody: 6:29am On Mar 06, 2015
uboma:
@ op, you are yet to acknowledge receipt of my mail since noon that I sent it.

Kindly revert.

So sorry for the delay Sir. It was due to the fact that i had to wait to open the mail with a PC to be sure of the expected modified content before acknowledging receipt and it took sometimes before that was done. I've received it and it was a professional job done on it...i must say. The difference is clear. Thanks a million.

I'll still send you another mail today after verifying something. All in all, thanks so much once again and God bless.
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by Nobody: 6:36am On Mar 06, 2015
aiikay:
What is certain is that we have what is called formal and informal letter. (Permit me to ignore semi formal).
Application letter means a formal letter stating your appeal for something. eg. jobs, approval request, etc
Now, if you are applying for a job, you need submit several documents - CV and certificates. In this case, your application is to introduce (cover) the accompanying (main) documents needed to prove you are worthy for the job. Thus the emergence of the phrase cover letter. Certainly the subject might still read "Application for ..." So, depending on the writing medium, it can contain all the relevant aspects of a formal letter - which we call it ab initio. I mean that detailed addresses can be ignored if writing inside email compose box, but may be clearly written if to be attached as a word/pdf file.

Now, if you are writing for instance: "Application for the Release of Fund for a Project" to may be the Chairman of your organisation. Here may be you simply need to state your budget in the letter and has no other accompanying document. So the normal name Application letter becomes clear.

In summary, Application Letter is same as Cover Letter.
Above is just my submission to the question. I was equally much confused with the phrase "cover letter" when I began to hear it for the first time during NYSC camping. You know how different money making persons troop the camp to catch them young in the name of "buy books and get certificate; we can help you write cover letters; etc"

Thank you!

Nice one. Thanks for your contribution.
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by Nobody: 7:49am On Mar 06, 2015
@uboma, pls i noticed that from the way you arranged my bolded name on the cv, you started with my surname (without insertion of apostrophy e.g. comma "," to separate the surname from other names. Is that okay as it's or i should insert comma there to serve this function or should i just arrange my name properly beginning from my name to my dad's own and then surname straight? Just trying to avoid some mistakes. Thanks.
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by uboma(m): 8:01am On Mar 06, 2015
Godshand:
@uboma, pls i noticed that from the way you arranged my bolded name on the cv, you started with my surname (without insertion of apostrophy e.g. comma "," to separate the surname from other names. Is that okay as it's or i should insert comma there to serve this function or should i just arrange my name properly beginning from my name to my dad's own and then surname straight? Just trying to avoid some mistakes. Thanks.

From your native names, I couldn't differentiate your surname. Please go ahead and arrange your name as it pleases you.

Cheers
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by weezii(m): 8:46am On Mar 06, 2015
uboma:

From your native names, I couldn't differentiate your surname. Please go ahead and arrange your name as it pleases you.

Cheers
Good morning sir, please can you forward me a copy of the cv, application and cover letter you've been sending? So I can write mine. Will be ending my nysc soon so I want to start applying.
My email wcfreeman806@gmail.com thanks
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by Ndissle(m): 9:04am On Mar 06, 2015
VickyRotex:

Sent you a mail
please VickyRotex pls I will also need the format for a cv and a cover letter. Thanks my email is dearnnamdi@yahoo.com
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by BLACKSNIP(m): 10:10am On Mar 06, 2015
VickyRotex:

You welcome
VickyRotex pls I will also need the format for a cv and a cover letter. pls send to bodmas2077@yahoo.com
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by VickyRotex(f): 10:11am On Mar 06, 2015
butanep:
Will really be grateful.

Ndissle:
please VickyRotex pls I will also need the format for a cv and a cover letter. Thanks my email is dearnnamdi@yahoo.com

Okay, kindly give me few hours. Its on my system, and I ain't with my system right now.
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by Nobody: 6:08pm On Mar 06, 2015
VickyRotex:

Just like I stated earlier that Cover Letter is a sub of Application letter. As cover letter ought to be shorter and straight to the point.

You can use an application to apply for industrial attachment, as this should entail detailed information about yourself. Remember you aint applying for any specific position, so you have to compose your letter in a way that would leave the company with no other option than to take you in.

Most of the time, when applying for Industrial Attachement, some companies dont demand for CV cos they know most of their applicants are still students, so little or no experience is needed, and they believe you can sell yourself with just your application letter, unlike the case of Cover letter, you cant submit a Cover letter for job application without a CV.

Here is an example of an application letter for Industrial Attachment.

Hello ma @bolded, you've removed the link. I just came to a cafe now to download the stuff but it's no longer there. Kindly put it back pls. Thanks.
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by VickyRotex(f): 7:04pm On Mar 06, 2015
BLACKSNIP:
VickyRotex pls I will also need the format for a cv and a cover letter. pls send to bodmas2077@yahoo.com

butanep:
Will really be grateful.

Ndissle:

Hi!!! I've sent the samples to the three of you... Please confirm and revert...

Apologies for the late response.
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by VickyRotex(f): 7:04pm On Mar 06, 2015
Godshand:
[/b]

Hello ma @bolded, you've removed the link. I just came to a cafe now to download the stuff but it's no longer there. Kindly put it back pls. Thanks.

I dint remove it. If you dont mind, leave your email, and I'l send it.
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by butanep(m): 7:40pm On Mar 06, 2015
VickyRotex:

Hi!!! I've sent the samples to the three of you... Please confirm and revert...

Apologies for the late response.
thanks... will definitely do

1 Like

Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by oluayo001(m): 7:51pm On Mar 06, 2015
VickyRotex:

I have sent it... Please confirm and revert!!!

Pls kindly send a copy of d application and Cover letter to me too so I may understand also....Thanks in advance....olu_ayoajayi88@yahoo.com
God Bless
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by VickyRotex(f): 7:55pm On Mar 06, 2015
oluayo001:

Pls kindly send a copy of d application and Cover letter to me too so I may understand also....Thanks in advance....olu_ayoajayi88@yahoo.com
God Bless

Sent!!! Confirm and Revert!!!
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by Nobody: 8:29pm On Mar 06, 2015
VickyRotex:

I dint remove it. If you dont mind, leave your email, and I'l send it.

Ok. Send it to blessedfavour255@gmail.com

Thanks.
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by oluayo001(m): 9:58pm On Mar 06, 2015
VickyRotex:

Seen dem...Fantastic!!!!!!.......thanks a Billion...
God bless U plenty...
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by mrrock: 11:01pm On Mar 06, 2015
Godshand:
Hello and good morning all, please i want to know the difference(s) between "cover letter" and "application letter" as may be used during job application. My ignorance over this could be attributed to the fact that i've not really been involved in job hunting in my life time thus far, but situation as of today has called for it. I know that when applying for a job, the applicant must submit his/her CV together with application letter, but i've heard a lot about "cover letter" of recent and i find it difficult to fathom out the difference of the cover letter from application letter. If they are truly different, do applicants submit both at same time together with CV? If anyone can also help with a example of the said cover letter, that'll really be appreciated and plus any other information that could help guarantee one's better chance of being called for a job. Thank you!

Do you know a website called Google?. www.Google.com
If you need any information next time, just go there and type in and search for whatever you need information about. I can bet you most of the replies you got have been pulled from Google.
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by VickyRotex(f): 11:15pm On Mar 06, 2015
Godshand:

Ok. Send it to blessedfavour255@gmail.com

Thanks.

Sent.... Confirm and Revert!!!
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by VickyRotex(f): 11:15pm On Mar 06, 2015
oluayo001:

Seen dem...Fantastic!!!!!!.......thanks a Billion...
God bless U plenty...

Amen... You welcome
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by bigblangston: 4:24am On Mar 07, 2015
VickyRotex:

Amen... You welcome
Pls kindly send a copy of d application and Cover letter to me too so I may understand also....Thanks in advance....arsenal_4luv@yahoo.com
God Bless
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by weezii(m): 12:24pm On Mar 07, 2015
VickyRotex:

Hi please send to wcfreeman806@gmail.com
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by Nobody: 4:00pm On Mar 08, 2015
mrrock:

Do you know a website called Google?. www.Google.com
If you need any information next time, just go there and type in and search for whatever you need information about. I can bet you most of the replies you got have been pulled from Google.

Bro, i'm never ignorant of the existence of Google. As a matter of fact, what i needed was a more detailed explanation with physical examples shown different from what google may offer which i might find it a bit hard to understand. Thank you though.
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by weezii(m): 6:23pm On Mar 08, 2015
VickyRotex:

Sent.... Confirm and Revert!!!
Received tnx a lot

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Vacancy -front Desk Officers / INEC 2023: Who Else Is In My Shoes? / Office Assistant Needed In Ikeja (ssce Or Part-time Student Only)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.