Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,596 members, 7,823,588 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:03 PM

I don't have a story. What is your story? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I don't have a story. What is your story? (1301 Views)

I Want To Learn Ethical Hacking But Don't Have Any Programming Knowledge. / What Made You Want To Learn Programming? Share Your Story / "Love At First Byte"! Your Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I don't have a story. What is your story? by Kennyinusa(m): 6:28pm On Mar 05, 2015
Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.
Steve Jobs

6 Likes

Re: I don't have a story. What is your story? by GoodBoi1(m): 6:47pm On Mar 05, 2015
What can I say?
Way back, when I was a guest on nairaland and didn't how to program. I do hear Java , Oracle. Thought it was one hard certification you get to support your degree. Until I saw this thread
https://www.nairaland.com/538184/how-long-code-day-hours .
Later on, I set off with my java phone searching the net on how to start. I came across discussion on programming (think it was C++) codes and I was fascinated. I had the desire to be like them but since I had no pc I just left it for another day.
One good day, I felt I was wasting time aimlessly surfing the net and I needed to make productive use of my time. One thing led to another and I was learning HTML at w3Schools ,with my Java phone, using their online editor.
To be continued...
Well, it wasn't long before I couldn't continue due to limited internet data. So I had just basic html knowledge, the kind supported in blogs. I actually used it, there was this app on my java phone that could create html files so the best I did it was to just code a message and sent the file via bluetooth to my friend so once he opens it the message displays in the phone browser, kinda like a bluetooth chat.
I wanted to study computer science but I felt computer science in Nigeria is crap so I opted for engineering. That year I gained admission. Fast forward, some months later. I was downloading apps with my blackberry and I began to ask myself questions in my mind, "Is it not humans that made this app?", "Am I always going to be a user of others peoples product?"....etc
In my second year in the university we were taught computer programming using Fortran, when we were about to round up the course, I felt at home with it and I wanted more now that I had a pc but I thought it was something that was better learnt after graduation (smh).
Unexpectedly, the use of the pc became boring even with the games on it , at a point I was wishing I didn't even buy it.
To be continued...
About a year later, in class while waiting for the lecturer to arrive I spotted a friend typing something with a laptop. I asked what he was doing and I got to know he was programming with C++. I was like " so you can learn this thing on your own". Days later, I requested some materials from him which I got but I didn't understand how to use them. It was later I realised that what he gave me was a reference book 900+ pages with less code and more explanation of the language ,and naive me determined to
work through the book. I even tried to compile what was not code.
After much struggle I sought for help online then began searching for beginner book later, all night. So I found one which was recommended for C++ beginner but you should have programming experience. Well, I didn't care. I believed I could handle it. So now time to compile "hello world", it was a struggle then I didn't understand the different projects, one time I will get, the next I won't - it was frustrating.
To be continued....

1 Like

Re: I don't have a story. What is your story? by omoelu1(m): 8:44pm On Mar 05, 2015
wooow!! that was a pretty long, interesting and inspiring piece.
#the journey shall be fruitful

1 Like

Re: I don't have a story. What is your story? by Nobody: 2:11am On Mar 06, 2015
hmm

1 Like

Re: I don't have a story. What is your story? by Vicben(m): 9:36am On Mar 06, 2015
Yours is an interesting and promising story. against the odds, you stood firm and didn't give up and now you're romancing with tech CEO's. You'll get there too soon. Goodluck in your hustle

1 Like

Re: I don't have a story. What is your story? by nollyj: 9:41am On Mar 06, 2015
Keep the flame burning

1 Like

Re: I don't have a story. What is your story? by lekropasky(m): 4:24pm On Mar 06, 2015
I almost cried while reading your story.
So touching....
I know one day Im goina write my own good story.

But Sir Mr op.
You mentioned ogbomoso,
were you a Ladokite?

1 Like

Re: I don't have a story. What is your story? by Kennyinusa(m): 7:08pm On Mar 06, 2015
lekropasky:
So touching....

But Sir Mr op.
You mentioned ogbomoso,
were you a Ladokite?

Yeah bro, i finished from Lautech.
Re: I don't have a story. What is your story? by Kennyinusa(m): 7:09pm On Mar 06, 2015
Thank you guys.

God bless you all.
Re: I don't have a story. What is your story? by trytillmake(m): 7:43pm On Mar 06, 2015
lekropasky:
So touching....

But Sir Mr op.
You mentioned ogbomoso,
were you a Ladokite?

Wetin make u wan cry? nr be yr mate? wat the guy said is not rocket science, with persistence and determination u too can be like him or do better,not forgetting asking God for wisdom.

1 Like

Re: I don't have a story. What is your story? by Nobody: 7:53pm On Mar 06, 2015
trytillmake:

Wetin make u wan cry? nr be yr mate? wat the guy said is not rocket science, with persistence and determination u too can be like him or do better,not forgetting asking God for wisdom.
You sound pissed...bet why undecided

1 Like

Re: I don't have a story. What is your story? by lekropasky(m): 8:24pm On Mar 06, 2015
trytillmake:

Wetin make u wan cry? nr be yr mate? wat the guy said is not rocket science, with persistence and determination u too can be like him or do better
,not forgetting asking God for wisdom.

Im sorry, u didnt understand my post before u quote me.
Hes my senior...

And d story really touched me to d extent that i didnt knw d exalt word to use...
i almost cried doesnt mean I cried..

1 Like

Re: I don't have a story. What is your story? by lekropasky(m): 8:33pm On Mar 06, 2015
Kennyinusa:

WoW.
Im currently a Ladokite.
100L CSE..

1 Like

Re: I don't have a story. What is your story? by lekropasky(m): 8:35pm On Mar 06, 2015
Kennyinusa:

WoW,
am currently a Ladokite,
100L CSE...

1 Like

Re: I don't have a story. What is your story? by iyisco2001(m): 8:43pm On Mar 06, 2015
@ taiwolusol, Kennyinusa is your twin brother right ?

1 Like

Re: I don't have a story. What is your story? by Nobody: 9:05pm On Mar 06, 2015
iyisco2001:
@ taiwolusol, Kennyinusa is your twin brother right ?
Why evils nau? grin

1 Like

Re: I don't have a story. What is your story? by iyisco2001(m): 9:07pm On Mar 06, 2015
taiwolusol:

Why evils nau? grin
Busted. I like the kinda fighting spirits you guys carry. Keep it up.

1 Like

Re: I don't have a story. What is your story? by Nobody: 10:07pm On Mar 06, 2015
My own story is that i was born with a keyboard in my hands. . . .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I don't have a story. What is your story? by GodMode: 10:48pm On Mar 06, 2015
My own story is that I was born with a database in my head.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I don't have a story. What is your story? by holusormi(m): 1:25am On Mar 07, 2015
My own story is that I got pregnant at 13 years sad angry

2 Likes

Re: I don't have a story. What is your story? by trytillmake(m): 11:32am On Mar 12, 2015
dhtml18:
My own story is that i was born with a keyboard in my hands. . . .

Well,to me because of the limited developmental course we have in Nigerian Universities,the Nigerian youth is limited to wat he is taught in school,we apply for computer science courses in Nigeria and we are still being taught old achaic languages, languages that are not being used in the real world.

In Naija [possibly Africa] there is a disconnection from the university and the society within which it operates, the uni. is supposed to solve society problems scientifically and technologically hence we have advancements in the westen world, but here our PROF, DOCS, and lecturers are so lazy that after they get there titles they think they know it all, hence wat they learnt 10yrs ago they are still recycling.
The courses offered in many Naija Universities are limited and many do not really have impact on the society when the student finishes school, so there is a disconnect btw society and student and yr parents expect you to get a job once u finish school.

The boom in programming,web design,android,ios apps development, technical knowledge in Naija, is all thanks to the white man,[infact GOD Bless them], google, youtube, various free tutorial websites ,the Nigerian student has now discovered he can learn wateva he want to learn online with little or no charge, then use the knowlege to earn a living because technology is the now,tomorrow and future.

So i feel every aspiring young man should hold his destiny in his hands [with GOD'S BLESSING] and know that today there has been tremendous improvement in tech which we can put to use here in this country, you just have to study, get materials online and think,think,think about that big idea that u can use to market to the world, and it does not really matter where u are,if the idea is right ,people will come to u,

(1) (Reply)

Web Designing Inquiry / Do We Really Have Wizard Female Programmers In Nigeria? / What Programming Language Will Do This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.