Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,036 members, 7,825,256 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 10:15 AM

Aston, Sheffied Or Cranfield For Msc - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Aston, Sheffied Or Cranfield For Msc (5402 Views)

Subsea Engineering In Cranfield University & Newcastle University / Choosing Among Cranfield, Newcastle And Uni Of Aberdeen - Subsea Engineering. / Subsea Engineering In UK (university Of Aberdeen VS Cranfield University) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Aston, Sheffied Or Cranfield For Msc by kadman(m): 10:33am On Jan 13, 2009
Being that I graduated with a 2.2 from Unilag ( 2.9 ) CGPA. I don't have a lot of options of good universities to choose from. I've found 3 good schools who would accept me provided I have a good GMAT score.

- Aston
- Sheffied
- Cranfield

I am confused out of which to pursue seriously. My problems are Aston & Shefield offer International Business Mangament,which I think I have a better chance of getting a job with.
While Cranfield is offering me Marketing,which I am worried is too streamlined,and I might not get a good job with. Cranfield Business School is top ranked,and they promise to all students of getting a job within 2 months of graduation. I don't know how true ?

My problem with Sheffied & Aston is although their Universities are top ranked,their Business Schools are not in any ranking ! And I don't know how well their graduates do in the job market.

I'm also thinking of a PG Degree in Manchester,it's not as good as an Msc,so I don't know if I would get a job with only a PG Degree

Any advice ?
Re: Aston, Sheffied Or Cranfield For Msc by Redfox(m): 8:36pm On Jan 13, 2009
@KADMAN
please dont compromise your dream course of study for anything.dont forget that there are sacrifices to be made at every instance of our lives, and besides asthon school of business is notable internationally.please dont opt for marketing because you want to go to cranfield which is equally a heavyweight.you will definitely live to regret taking that options.good day.
Re: Aston, Sheffied Or Cranfield For Msc by kadman(m): 10:06pm On Jan 13, 2009
@ Red Fox

Thanks for the advice,I'll think of that to
Re: Aston, Sheffied Or Cranfield For Msc by kadman(m): 2:40pm On Jan 14, 2009
Anymore advice anyone
Re: Aston, Sheffied Or Cranfield For Msc by Solomon227(m): 5:01pm On Jan 14, 2009
Kadman im sory u left unilag with 2.2. But I beleive u will do better in American universities-with a good GMAT score u can b accepted by top universities.And u even ave better job opportunies than U.K.Shallom
Re: Aston, Sheffied Or Cranfield For Msc by Sagamite(m): 10:32pm On Jan 14, 2009
kadman:

Being that I graduated with a 2.2 from Unilag ( 2.9 ) CGPA. I don't have a lot of options of good universities to choose from.

I suspect this might be a misconception. If you are a foreign fees paying student with strong financial backing and ability to sell yourself proficiently in writing and orally, you can get a position in a good school (even some of those in  First Division in the link below).

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=141689.msg2364051#msg2364051

This is because a lot of UK universities are now intensely trying to build up the capital available to them so they can compete effectively with US unis, which are always very rich as the government does not restrict their home fees unlike in the UK.

kadman:

I've found 3 good schools who would accept me provided I have a good GMAT score.

- Aston
- Sheffied
- Cranfield

I am confused out of which to pursue seriously. My problems are Aston & Shefield offer International Business Mangament,which I think I have a better chance of getting a job with.
While Cranfield is offering me Marketing,which I am worried is too streamlined,and I might not get a good job with. Cranfield Business School is top ranked,and they promise to all students of getting a job within 2 months of graduation. I don't know how true ?

My problem with Sheffied & Aston is although their Universities are top ranked,their Business Schools are not in any ranking ! And I don't know how well their graduates do in the job market.

I'm also thinking of a PG Degree in Manchester,it's not as good as an Msc,so I don't know if I would get a job with only a PG Degree

Any advice ?

I wish you had been more specific so I can help you better. This depends on your years of experience and on which location you will be seeking employment.

Cranfield is a strong school to go to if you have 5 years or above and have reached middle management or above in your work. That is, you will be in your 30s or 40s. It is a more mature setting and usually with a vortex of experience when you compound work life of the class.

If you have the experience and are already a middle manager and then go to Cranfield, it will not be too hard to get a job in a good economy hereNote: Even if you go to Cambridge in this economy, you most likely will not get a job.

If you are younger and with limited experience, then Sheffield and Aston would be better to sell yourself here as you will be starting from a junior role.

In my opinion university ratings by subject is usually of little relevance with most employers. The majority just go by overall rating of a university except your school is unarguably a leader in the subject (e.g. Studying Investments in City University is far better than studying it in redbricks like Bath or Bristol).

As neither Sheffield or Aston are leaders in business subjects, I will suggest you focus more on overall prestige. Sheffield is overall better than Aston but I don't think the gap is that great especially if you are only doing a postgraduate not an undergraduate. Analogy is like comparing Middlesborough FC to Reading FC or living in Brazil to living in Chile. At best it is just a marginal difference.

PG if done FULL TIME sometimes gives a wrong but common impression that someone has no perseverance in their work that is why they could not go the extra mile to get a masters. If it is done part time, then it is more OK.

If you plan to look for a job in Nigeria instead, then all the points above are irrelevant as all 3 institutions will satisfy the prestige you seek virtually equally.
Re: Aston, Sheffied Or Cranfield For Msc by Treetop20(m): 6:20am On Jan 15, 2009
2.2 gpa is very low
Re: Aston, Sheffied Or Cranfield For Msc by tkb417(m): 10:19am On Jan 15, 2009
try going to where u'll read for ur dream course!
dont rush to schools cos of the name
Re: Aston, Sheffied Or Cranfield For Msc by kadman(m): 12:28pm On Jan 15, 2009
Everyone . . Thanks a lot for the advice,has given me perspective

@ Sagamite, thank you very much for the advice,Regarding your questions - I have no work experience at all( I graduated Sept 2008 ),and plan on going for the Msc Sept 2009, I plan on working in the UK for about 2 years before coming back home with the Msc & and some working experience.
So,what do you think ? If you suggest Sheffield, would I likely get a job of junior management after completing the Msc ?
Re: Aston, Sheffied Or Cranfield For Msc by kadman(m): 4:51pm On Jan 15, 2009
Treetop20:

2.2 gpa is very low

I didn't finish with a 2.2 GPA, I finished with a 2 2 . . . Very diff.
Re: Aston, Sheffied Or Cranfield For Msc by Sagamite(m): 10:23pm On Jan 15, 2009
kadman:

Everyone . . Thanks a lot for the advice,has given me perspective

@ Sagamite, thank you very much for the advice,Regarding your questions - I have no work experience at all( I graduated Sept 2008 ),and plan on going for the Msc Sept 2009, I plan on working in the UK for about 2 years before coming back home with the Msc & and some working experience.
So,what do you think ? If you suggest Sheffield, would I likely get a job of junior management after completing the Msc ?

The chances are low in this economic times.

By the time you graduate, the economy is unlikely to have recovered significantly and there will be piles of students that graduated in 2008 and 2009 that might still be unemployed and will be competing for the same jobs as you.

Even Oxford and Cambridge graduates are struggling to get interviews at the moment, talkless of a job. Most 2008 and 2009 graduates are resigned to their fate that they will not be with a job in the next one year. Most are opting for postgraduate studies or travelling abroad.

So by 2010 when you graduate, you will be competing with people with undergrad degrees and possibly postgraduate degrees in a (top) UK university whilst you are from a Nigerian university, a lot of them will also have 1sts or 2.1s and, furthermore, the government might tighten working visas to give their locals a chance in a sparse job market.

It is not impossible or written in stone, but the chances are low.
Re: Aston, Sheffied Or Cranfield For Msc by kadman(m): 11:13am On Jan 16, 2009
@ Sagamite

Thanks for the advice,will keep that in mind.
I've also added East Anglia to the mix,doing as much reeaerch as I can on it,it's in top 20 in the UK,and they accept 2 2,so what do you think. I also read your past posts and found out the importance of going to a "red brick school".I'm really counting on Sheffield.
Let me know what you think Bro.
Re: Aston, Sheffied Or Cranfield For Msc by Sagamite(m): 3:42am On Jan 17, 2009
kadman:

@ Sagamite

Thanks for the advice,will keep that in mind.
I've also added East Anglia to the mix,doing as much reeaerch as I can on it,it's in top 20 in the UK,and they accept 2 2,so what do you think. I also read your past posts and found out the importance of going to a "red brick school".I'm really counting on Sheffield.
Let me know what you think Bro.

It is all in the league table I created here:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=141689.msg2364051#msg2364051

East Anglia is a good university that sits between Sheffield and Aston.

Also, I forgot to add that you will be competing with those that will lose their jobs in the economic downturn and might not find anything til 2010. They will have the added advantage of experience.
Re: Aston, Sheffied Or Cranfield For Msc by Nobody: 11:12am On Jan 23, 2009
Kadman,Aston is ranked the second best in msc courses in the uk and the 13th in europe by the financial times,which a lot of universities quote to market themselves,cranfield also has a good rating but not as good as aston (in Mba courses)in the latest ranking.I would suggest u go to aston but i think it generally depends on how lucky u r at d end of the day,i knw pipl who got good jobs from not so good schools and vice versa.I also just applied at the school for sept session bt i dnt have a gmat and would want to know if its compulsory to sit for it before gaining an admission there,i also dnt have any work experience.Pls do keep in touch and check financial times ranking for 2008.cheers
Re: Aston, Sheffied Or Cranfield For Msc by kadman(m): 12:39am On Jan 24, 2009
@ ctrume

Thanks,just checked,and you're right Aston is ranked second highest for Managment courses ( Msc ),have you already made your application. No GMAT is not compulsory,but I'm just doing it to make my application stand a better chance,it's even written on their web site that GMAT is not complusory. I hope your application is sucsessful,what other schools did you apply to ?
Re: Aston, Sheffied Or Cranfield For Msc by Sagamite(m): 12:48am On Jan 24, 2009
Ctrume, has some good points there but I will advise some caution.

Rankings are League tables, hence there are up and down movements. So because Aston has been rated highly in the last rating does not mean necessarily that Aston is better or will remain better.

I know for sure that Cranfield has historically been highly rated and I have seen a few high flyers that have gone through an MBA there. I am yet to see one from Aston.

It is like rankings at undergrad level. Sometimes you will see University of Manchester out of the top 20 or even the top 25 but I know for sure that getting a degree from University of Manchester is a strong brand on your CV on par with the likes of Bath, Nottingham etc.

Lesson, historical ratings and alumni group plays a big part.
Re: Aston, Sheffied Or Cranfield For Msc by MrCrackles(m): 12:51am On Jan 24, 2009
Cranfield all the way but then do you want to do marketing? cheesy

I will take international business management at Sheffield University

Aston is rubbish, trust me!!

Conclusively, do what you think will benefit your career!
Re: Aston, Sheffied Or Cranfield For Msc by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jan 24, 2009
I also applied at strathclyde.The ratings r strictly for postgraduates and although cranfield has a better rating in MBA,aston got the upper hand in MSC.I may not know much but i know all top schools quote the financial times rating and i know its for a reason.I think strathclyde is also very good
Re: Aston, Sheffied Or Cranfield For Msc by jboogie: 4:59pm On Mar 12, 2009
I've gone through all the replies to your initial post and have decided to put you straight (none of them did this). Comparing aston and sheffield to cranfield is like comparing oranges to apples. They are not in the same league, Cranfield is a world renowned research institution and the school of management is in the top 50 in the world (this represents top 0.5% in world, as there are over 10,000 business schools worldwide.) I would post some links that will help you in making a decision.

http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/european-business-school-rankings

The FT ranks cranfield as 13th amongst european business school. Take into consideration that most rankings are done with just the MBA courses (all schools do MBA's and some don't do Msc's) so its a good way to rank them across all borders. This ranking looks at the business school as a whole and ranks them according to more criterias which may have been left out when ranking just MBAs.

Nevertheless, FT ranks cranfield as 35th in the world (MBA ranking).

http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/global-mba-rankings

The economist intelligence unit ranks cranfield as 13th in the world (MBA) ranking. Please take a look at schools, that place after cranfield in this ranking.

http://mba.eiu.com/index.asp?layout=2008rankings

Basically, what I'm saying is that Cranfield is in a league that only a few universities in the UK play in, those are the likes of Cambridge, Oxford, Lancaster, Manchester and LBS,  and then you have the likes of warwick, cass and imperial treading along shortly behind. Cranfield, has quite a number of faculty leaving these universities to come to Cranfield to become part of a world renowned faculty,

These are your options, read for the GMAT and make that good score that will get you into Cranfield or go to sheffield or aston and play in the minor leagues. I believe you will choose the first, as you sound like a smart guy and want the best for yourself. The marketing MSc in Cranfield is quite new but is very up to date. They get to do exciting projects with companies (hands on experience).

Lastly, I will say if your looking to have fun while you pursue an MSc, then Cranfield is not for you. Cranfield is known to be tough and to keep it's students on their feet all year round. I personally know students in oxford, cambridge and imperial and nothing compares to what Cranfield will put you through (don't be scared, everyman needs a little challenge now and then).

PS: I'm currently a student in Cranfield (Msc Finance and management), so I may be biased to the Brand. Nevertheless, I speak the truth (backed by evidence). Gotta run, working on a paper,.
Re: Aston, Sheffied Or Cranfield For Msc by ipe1: 11:12am On May 19, 2009
Hey jboogie,

so you're saying Cranfield is even tougher than Oxbridge? In which way?

Would u say the 19k GBP are worth it? What are the job prospectives after graduation?

Plays maths and statistic a major role in this programme or is basic knowledge sufficient?

I know cranfield is ranked pretty well, but I think its mainly because of their MBA and I am not sure about their network and reputation.

Please give me some support,

(1) (Reply)

UNN Female Student Dumps Aborted Baby In Dustbin [Graphic Photos] / Unilag Releases Supplementary List For 2010/2011 Utme Admission / "No Biometric Verification" & "No Result Yet" Messages - Jamb Should Explain!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.