Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,076 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:28 AM

How Can One Make Money From Poetry? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / How Can One Make Money From Poetry? (961 Views)

What Management Lessons Can One Make Of This Picture? / Seun: You Must be Losing Money from Ads / Can One Make Online Payment With His Skye Visa Creditcard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can One Make Money From Poetry? by dammyboy(m): 6:28pm On Aug 30, 2006
I write poems and i know i am very good at it! I have tried entering some poetry competitions online but most of it all turned out to be an advert for selling their anthology.
I am just wondering if there are opportunities for Poets online to make money with their poetry probably by writing poems for some organisations and get paid for it!  Human right organisations etc
well, i am just wondering how a young Nigerian with a poetic skill as mine and other Nigerians with such skill could make money from it!
Anyone with an advice could share it with me or if you have a link, you can refer me.
You can read some of my poems at http://allpoetry.com/poets/princedammy
thanks
Re: How Can One Make Money From Poetry? by Ugwumba(m): 6:41pm On Aug 30, 2006
@ dammyboy,

hometruth 1: poets and money don't quite go together (especially not in naija) cry

hometruth 2: poems can be used to dazzle / razzzle babes (you may need to add money on top of the poems for naija babes). embarassed

hometruth 3: unless you win the Nobel Prize (ala Wole Soyinka) or something similar, poverty fit kill you. tongue

conclusion - bros, find something else do, if na money u wan make. grin
Re: How Can One Make Money From Poetry? by dammyboy(m): 6:49pm On Aug 30, 2006
Bros na wa for you o! Well i get the message but i keep having a feeling that there is something one can do online that about ones poetry.
I met a lady online some weeks ago, she's a white lady and she said something about being paid to write poetry in an international organisation. She promised giving me hints about that but i haven't hard from her since then and that is really making me curious!
Anyway, i am a final year student of Communication Art, University of Ibadan and i am really loking forward to a successful career in Advertising where my passion lies in years to come but that nothwithstanding, i have a feeling i can do something my poetry that would be lucrative!
Thanks anyway bros! smiley
Re: How Can One Make Money From Poetry? by Ugwumba(m): 7:07pm On Aug 30, 2006
@ dammyboy, why not try to reach naija gems like wole soyinka, ben okri, chinweizu etc. to mentor you (no mention say na money you wan make - fame first, money fit follow).don't know how to reach them, but someone on nairaland fit know.

i dey give very real advise, but not meaning you can't succeed with anything your heart is set on.

(1) (Reply)

Hi, / First 10 Highest Poster's On Naira Land / Hay

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.