Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,517 members, 7,823,215 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:51 AM

Saudi Court Sentences Gang Rape Victim To 200 Lashes And Custodial Sentence - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Saudi Court Sentences Gang Rape Victim To 200 Lashes And Custodial Sentence (1588 Views)

Buhari Will Resign, Governors Will Gang Up Against Him – Primate Ayodele / Pastor Joan Godwin: A Victim Of Dangote Trailer Accident In Asaba (Photo) / Nigerian Hajj Stampede Victim In Critical Condition At Saudi Hospital [photo] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Saudi Court Sentences Gang Rape Victim To 200 Lashes And Custodial Sentence by GlorifiedTunde(m): 6:57pm On Mar 06, 2015
SAUDI COURT SENTENCES GANG RAPE VICTIM TO 200 LASHES AND CUSTODIAL SENTENCE

by A.B. SANDERSON
5 Mar 2015
The victim of a violent gang rape has been sentenced by a Saudi Arabian court to 200 lashes and six months in jail for the crimes of speaking to the press and indecency.

According to Sharia Law, a Saudi Arabian woman must be accompanied by a male guardian at all times in public, something the 19 year old victim did not obey when she went to meet a friend, according to website Live Buddhism.

While in a car with a student friend, retrieving a picture, two men got into the vehicle and drove them to a secluded area. She said she was raped there by seven men, three of whom also attacked her friend.

The Shi’ite Muslim woman had initially been sentenced to 90 lashes after being convicted of violating the Kingdom’s religious diktats on segregation of the sexes, where woman are treated as second class citizens.

After the sentences were handed down following the rape in 2006, which included lenient custodial sentences for the men guilty of the violent crime, the woman’s lawyer appealed to the Saudi General Court. But instead of choosing to overturn the punishments for being the victim of a crime, the court more than doubled her sentence. At the same time, they also roughly doubled the prison sentences for the seven men convicted of raping her, according to Saudi news outlets.

Abdul Rahman al-Lahem, who defended the woman, reached out to the media after the sentences were handed down.  The court has since banned him from further defending the woman, confiscating his license and summoning him to a disciplinary hearing later this month.

Saudi Arabia defended the controversial decision to punish the victim, saying that she was at fault for being out without a male friend, something which was met with international outcry.

“The Ministry of Justice welcomes constructive criticism, away from emotions,” it said in a statement.

The statement also said that the “charges were proven” against the woman for having been in a car with a strange male, and repeated criticism of her lawyer for talking “defiantly” about the judicial system, saying “it has shown ignorance.” They also added that the sentence was increased because the victim had spoken to the media. “For whoever has an objection on verdicts issued, the system allows to appeal without resorting to the media,” a statement on the official Saudi Press Agency said.

Politicians from the West reacted angrily to the news, with Jose Verger, the Canadian minister responsible for women, calling it “barbaric” and saying the country would complain to Saudi authorities.

U.S. State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said, “I think when you look at the crime and the fact that now the victim is punished, I think that causes a fair degree of surprise and astonishment. It is within the power of the Saudi government to take a look at the verdict and change it.”

UK political activist Angharad Yeo, who is half Saudi and has campaigned against violation of women’s rights at home and abroad. said it “sends a clear message that women are not valued and only seen as a possession.”

The UKIP member described the ruling as “disgusting”, adding that a woman was being punished “because men in Islam are weak and pathetic and hide behind Islam. What message does that send to young women?” she asked.

“You can’t ever protect yourself and your well being is a lottery. Should you be unfortunate enough to be assaulted, expect for it to be your own fault.”

The New York based Human Rights Watch said the verdict “not only sends victims of sexual violence the message that they should not press charges, but in effect offers protection and impunity to the perpetrators.”

SOURCE:

http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2015/03/05/saudi-court-sentences-gang-rape-victim-to-200-lashes-and-custodial-sentence/

Re: Saudi Court Sentences Gang Rape Victim To 200 Lashes And Custodial Sentence by francizy(m): 7:03pm On Mar 06, 2015
What??

This is organized madness! shocked shocked

Instead of giving her money and home worth millions of dollars!

2 Likes

Re: Saudi Court Sentences Gang Rape Victim To 200 Lashes And Custodial Sentence by Tundenoni(m): 7:04pm On Mar 06, 2015
Islam is cursed...
Can't you see ?
brothers and sisters it's time to port to Christianity....

JESUS IS LORD!

3 Likes

Re: Saudi Court Sentences Gang Rape Victim To 200 Lashes And Custodial Sentence by GlorifiedTunde(m): 7:06pm On Mar 06, 2015
francizy:
What??

This is organized madness! shocked shocked

Instead of giving her money and home worth millions of dollars!

The sharia law has never been fair to the female folk. Islam generally downgrades the female gender. But yet they'll say its a lie angry

4 Likes

Re: Saudi Court Sentences Gang Rape Victim To 200 Lashes And Custodial Sentence by francizy(m): 7:13pm On Mar 06, 2015
GlorifiedTunde:

The sharia law has never been fair to the female folk. Islam generally downgrades the female gender. But yet they'll say its a lie angry

This is really sad and I like crying for that lady..

She was ràped and still punished for being raped..

How does that justify her mistake in the first place..

Those guys should be the ones punished but they are not..

This shows that their men are free to ràpe any girl/lady/woman they catch unaware.. cry

If am the one, after taking that punishment, I'll leave that country for good, if possible..

2 Likes

Re: Saudi Court Sentences Gang Rape Victim To 200 Lashes And Custodial Sentence by Nobody: 7:21pm On Mar 06, 2015
Tufiakwa!
One of the many sins of mohammed to control women.
Every other nation in this world is evolving except moslem countries only.
In Saudi Arabia,a day old male is more important than the mother.
Religion has finished this world.

4 Likes

Re: Saudi Court Sentences Gang Rape Victim To 200 Lashes And Custodial Sentence by Kennywills7(m): 7:37pm On Mar 06, 2015
This is wrong
Such practice will encourage guys to rape more women as long as d law keep on protecting dem
Women there are treated like rags, no value and treated like sex slaves

The world has to stand against dis and put a stop to it cos its madness

2 Likes

Re: Saudi Court Sentences Gang Rape Victim To 200 Lashes And Custodial Sentence by miraKUNLEus(m): 7:44pm On Mar 06, 2015
Re: Saudi Court Sentences Gang Rape Victim To 200 Lashes And Custodial Sentence by GlorifiedTunde(m): 7:48pm On Mar 06, 2015
francizy:

This shows that their men are free to ràpe any girl/lady/woman they catch unaware.. cry

If am the one, after taking that punishment, I'll leave that country for good, if possible..

And to make matters worse, they added to her punishment because she soughted for legal assistance. In order words the don't want her defending herself Nawao!

3 Likes

Re: Saudi Court Sentences Gang Rape Victim To 200 Lashes And Custodial Sentence by Ifeann(f): 8:49pm On Mar 06, 2015
Women are so ill treated in Islam..

The book of Allah says women are inferior
to men and their husbands have the right
to beat them (Q. 4:34 ),

that women
will go to hell if they are disobedient to
their husbands (Q. 66:10 ).

It also says men
have an advantage over women
(Q. 2:228 ).

It not only denies women
equal right to their inheritance
(Q. 4:11-12 ), it also regards them as
imbeciles and decrees that their
testimony alone is not admissible in court
(Q. 2:282 ). This means that a woman who
is raped cannot accuse her rapist unless
she can produce a male witness, which of
course is a joke. Rapists don't rape in the
presence of witnesses.

But the most
shocking verse is where Allah allows
Muslims To Molest women captured in wars
even if they are married before being
captured (Q. 4:24 ) (Q. 4:3 ). The holy
prophet raped the prettiest women he
captured in his raids on the same day he
killed their husbands and loved ones.

Please go online and read the quran and see all the evil filled in that book.

6 Likes

Re: Saudi Court Sentences Gang Rape Victim To 200 Lashes And Custodial Sentence by Nobody: 8:59pm On Mar 06, 2015
Ifeann:

that women

It also says men

It not only denies women
presence of witnesses.

But the most

Islam is really a deadly religion, if that religion can be scraped, the world will be at peace...

5 Likes

Re: Saudi Court Sentences Gang Rape Victim To 200 Lashes And Custodial Sentence by Nobody: 9:03pm On Mar 06, 2015
chai! sharia law was made to oppress the poor and the loyal women #smh

1 Like

Re: Saudi Court Sentences Gang Rape Victim To 200 Lashes And Custodial Sentence by jrealkit007: 11:00pm On Mar 06, 2015
Tundenoni:
Islam is cursed...
Can't you see ?
brothers and sisters it's time to port to Christianity....

JESUS IS LORD!
. You are cursed in ignorance and immorality. He who seeks equity must do equity. Since the law prohibits a woman moving with strange male against the preaches of western and xtianity where immorality has been imbibed as part of culture, she deserves to be criticized and even purnished to serve as dettarent to others. Peace
Re: Saudi Court Sentences Gang Rape Victim To 200 Lashes And Custodial Sentence by Tundenoni(m): 11:03pm On Mar 06, 2015
jrealkit007:
. You are cursed in ignorance and immorality. He who seeks equity must do equity. Since the law prohibits a woman moving with strange male against the preaches of western and xtianity where immorality has been imbibed as part of culture, she deserves to be criticized and even purnished to serve as dettarent to others. Peace
Jesus loves you

3 Likes

Re: Saudi Court Sentences Gang Rape Victim To 200 Lashes And Custodial Sentence by jrealkit007: 11:04pm On Mar 06, 2015
francizy:

. The males were punished first(incase u read the news with open mind) she was only punished for aiding the crime by moving with a strange male against the law of the land.. He who seek equity must do equity. Don't cry wolf where there is non. Think objectively about the judgment and don't insult islam
Re: Saudi Court Sentences Gang Rape Victim To 200 Lashes And Custodial Sentence by jrealkit007: 11:13pm On Mar 06, 2015
Stop crying Wolf where there is non... He who seek Equity must do Equity.. since the law of the land discourages a woman moving with a strange male folk, she deserves to be punished for encouraging and aiding the crime. Ignorantia juris non excusant. Think objectively before u ascribe every action on religion
Re: Saudi Court Sentences Gang Rape Victim To 200 Lashes And Custodial Sentence by GlorifiedTunde(m): 5:19am On Mar 07, 2015
Ifeann:

that women

It also says men

It not only denies women
presence of witnesses.

But the most

sad sad sad

1 Like

Re: Saudi Court Sentences Gang Rape Victim To 200 Lashes And Custodial Sentence by GlorifiedTunde(m): 5:24am On Mar 07, 2015
jrealkit007:
Stop crying Wolf where there is non... He who seek Equity must do Equity.. since the law of the land discourages a woman moving with a strange male folk, she deserves to be punished for encouraging and aiding the crime. Ignorantia juris non excusant. Think objectively before u ascribe every action on religion

That's exactly the point!

That's a law of bondage. The male is a friend not a strange person.

If the law had a tougher hold on rapists rather than victims, then it won't be like this.
You're empathizing rubbish angry

2 Likes

Re: Saudi Court Sentences Gang Rape Victim To 200 Lashes And Custodial Sentence by francizy(m): 6:29am On Mar 07, 2015
jrealkit007:
. The males were punished first(incase u read the news with open mind) she was only punished for aiding the crime by moving with a strange male against the law of the land.. He who seek equity must do equity. Don't cry wolf where there is non. Think objectively about the judgment and don't insult islam

Please don't take things different from where I was headed.. Was it Islam or Saudi Arabian officials that punished her? Don't just conclude that am insulting Islam when it is not stated on my post. I'd rather not insult Islam and I don't/won't blame Islam for anything, rather if something happens, I'll blame that person behind Islam that completely chose to forget where forgiveness was talked about in the Quran. Of all the killings in the northern part of the country, I've never called out Islam and insulted your Prophets, rather I feel bad that some people over there choose to abandon some teachings of the Quran.

Now I must tell you that I feel disgusted at the punishment leveled against that woman. She had already received multiple punishment from 7 males. What punishment is worst than getting rapèd by seven men? She should have been forgiven and the molesters are the ones that deserve life sentence and 100 strokes each, with maximum prison labour.

I can't fathom how this will make men respect women over there. If I were an inconsiderate male over there, this act might just encourage me to start looking for females to molest.
Re: Saudi Court Sentences Gang Rape Victim To 200 Lashes And Custodial Sentence by true2god: 7:35am On Mar 07, 2015
jrealkit007:
So if your sister is raped, it is her fault for innocently going on her own with a friend. If your sister is raped, she must not comlain to the authorities for crimes commited against her chastity. If your sister is gang-raped, it is her fault for not staying at home covered with a sack (niqab, burqab or whatever) like products for sale?
Islamic logic is demonic, inversely proportional to logic, irrational and irreversibly evil.

I pity the world for the evil mohammed brought upon it.

1 Like

Re: Saudi Court Sentences Gang Rape Victim To 200 Lashes And Custodial Sentence by true2god: 7:40am On Mar 07, 2015
jrealkit007:
So the punishment for moving with a strange male folk is gang-raping her and authorities punishing her for being raped?

Many years in the madrassas had blocked the godly concience of muslims.

1 Like

Re: Saudi Court Sentences Gang Rape Victim To 200 Lashes And Custodial Sentence by GlorifiedTunde(m): 8:33am On Mar 07, 2015
francizy:

Please don't take things different from where I was headed.. Was it Islam or Saudi Arabian officials that punished her? Don't just conclude that am insulting Islam when it is not stated on my post. I'd rather not insult Islam and I don't/won't blame Islam for anything, rather if something happens, I'll blame that person behind Islam that completely chose to forget where forgiveness was talked about in the Quran. Of all the killings in the northern part of the country, I've never called out Islam and insulted your Prophets, rather I feel bad that some people over there choose to abandon some teachings of the Quran.

Now I must tell you that I feel disgusted at the punishment leveled against that woman. She had already received multiple punishment from 7 males. What punishment is worst than getting rapèd by seven men? She should have been forgiven and the molesters are the ones that deserve life sentence and 100 strokes each, with maximum prison labour.

I can't fathom how this will make men respect women over there. If I were an inconsiderate male over there, this act might just encourage me to start looking for females to molest.

@bolded: the point is the true followers of Islamic tenets in the Quran have a citation to back up their evil acts. Even boko haram have citations to back their evil acts, same as ISIS and the Sharia law. There's is something terribly wrong with that book. That's why these true worshippers regard the softer Muslims as prodigals.

@ 2nd bolded. That's the capital problem with India. India has not made stern laws concerning gang rapes and in fact a rapist can go scot free if he has enough money to buy law. That's why they have the highest number of rape cases and their men never stop. So much they even raped a Nigerian woman last week. Ought India not have spelt death sentence for rapist yet?

1 Like

Re: Saudi Court Sentences Gang Rape Victim To 200 Lashes And Custodial Sentence by francizy(m): 9:11am On Mar 07, 2015
GlorifiedTunde:

@bolded: the point is the true followers of Islamic tenets in the Quran have a citation to back up their evil acts. Even boko haram have citations to back their evil acts, same as ISIS and the Sharia law. There's is something terribly wrong with that book. That's why these true worshippers regard the softer Muslims as prodigals.

@ 2nd bolded. That's the capital problem with India. India has not made stern laws concerning gang rapes and in fact a rapist can go scot free if he has enough money to buy law. That's why they have the highest number of rape cases and their men never stop. So much they even raped a Nigerian woman last week. Ought India not have spelt death sentence for rapist yet?

Bro, seriously, I just don't like discussing their issues because I just made a harmless statement and he tagged it an insult to Islam. I can't count how many times Muslims have criticized Christianity and I don't see that as an insult. I see it like they are just probing to know good Christianity is.

The fact is, they don't know that by just telling us to our face that Jesus was a prophet is an insult to Christianity but we don't start killing them because of that and I call it tolerance. If we are to have peace in Nigeria, we have to learn to be tolerant of one another and coexist as one not minding our differences in tribe and religion.

I will just leave the discussion at that and won't go further. Let whatever they feel is right be done to the woman. The only pain I feel is for the woman but sadly, I can't save her.
Re: Saudi Court Sentences Gang Rape Victim To 200 Lashes And Custodial Sentence by tartar9(m): 9:37am On Mar 07, 2015
francizy:

Bro, seriously, I just don't like discussing their issues because I just made a harmless statement and he tagged it an insult to Islam. I can't count how many times Muslims have criticized Christianity and I don't see that as an insult. I see it like they are just probing to know good Christianity is.

The fact is, they don't know that by just telling us to our face that Jesus was a prophet is an insult to Christianity but we don't start killing them because of that and I call it tolerance. If we are to have peace in Nigeria, we have to learn to be tolerant of one another and coexist as one not minding our differences in tribe and religion.

I will just leave the discussion at that and won't go further. Let whatever they feel is right be done to the woman. The only pain I feel is for the woman but sadly, I can't save her.
and jesus the 'son of God' is not also a greater insult to our face also?
Re: Saudi Court Sentences Gang Rape Victim To 200 Lashes And Custodial Sentence by GlorifiedTunde(m): 12:49pm On Mar 07, 2015
tartar9:
and jesus the 'son of God' is not also a greater insult to our face also?

Christianity is a gospel of peace - if you preach and no one accepts, dust off your shoes and leave. Not KILL them all!! angry

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Abomination Called Chrislam Is Taking Hold. / Another Reason To Give Thanks (photo) / The Way Different Religions See The Human Heart

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.