Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,019 members, 7,814,486 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:37 PM

I Need A Career Adviser Please - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Need A Career Adviser Please (2099 Views)

Exclusive Interview With Talented Musician ''ADVISER NGOZI'' By OGO32 / Learn A Skill & Start A Career Within 2weeks / ARM Life Financial Advisor Application...what Does A Financial Adviser Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need A Career Adviser Please by Abduletudaye(m): 11:40am On Mar 07, 2015
I'm really not sure what i need advise on...but once someone is willing to advise me, i would talk...

Will be waiting guys... smiley
Re: I Need A Career Adviser Please by joywendy(f): 12:46pm On Mar 07, 2015
undecided
Re: I Need A Career Adviser Please by cao(f): 1:21pm On Mar 07, 2015

1 Like

Re: I Need A Career Adviser Please by GAINltd: 8:28am On Mar 08, 2015
@Abduletudaye
Let's start from here: Do you work/ have a job?
Re: I Need A Career Adviser Please by Abduletudaye(m): 10:19am On Mar 08, 2015
GAINltd:
@Abduletudaye
Let's start from here: Do you work/ have a job?

No I don't sir...
Re: I Need A Career Adviser Please by GAINltd: 1:51pm On Mar 08, 2015
Abduletudaye:

No I don't sir...

That explains why you have no idea what you need advise on.

Take a moment to evaluate your life (career-wise, social-wise, health-wise): what have you done right, and what could have gone better. Think of where you (ideally) would rather be or what you would rather be doing.

Now ask a direct question.

1 Like

Re: I Need A Career Adviser Please by Abduletudaye(m): 2:12pm On Mar 08, 2015
GAINltd:

That explains why you have no idea what you need advise on.

Take a moment to evaluate your life (career-wise, social-wise, health-wise): what have you done right, and what could have gone better. Think of where you (ideally) would rather be or what you would rather be doing.

Now ask a direct question.

I feel its so hard...I really don't know what i want....sometimes i might tend to be versatile... I feel there's nothing I cant do.. But am really confused.. Been home for 2years and I'm not sure what steps to take.. I've been applying for jobs like everybody else but I'm not sure of what i want..
Re: I Need A Career Adviser Please by GAINltd: 8:22pm On Mar 08, 2015
Abduletudaye:

I feel its so hard...I really don't know what i want....sometimes i might tend to be versatile... I feel there's nothing I cant do.. But am really confused.. Been home for 2years and I'm not sure what steps to take.. I've been applying for jobs like everybody else but I'm not sure of what i want..

Abduletutdaye,

I save the real question for last.

Everyone/ At least more than half of the graduates in Nigeria believe they are versatile. You need to think of what sets you apart from this larger number of people. What are you passionate about that you are equally great at. e.g. a lot of people believe anyone can be a customer service agent, however if you have no patience or are generally a rude person, then this line of work is not good for you (you have no passion for it). So, it's time to stop thinking of how versatile you can be, but more on what you can see yourself doing for a long period of time without complaining.

When you figure it out, seek employment in that area. Be open-minded too. Even if you have to start as an intern/ volunteer, do so. This will at least help you build on your experience level (and give you a clearer picture on where you would rather go, career-wise.

Now the real question... Have you been home for 2 years straight with no employment?

2 Likes

Re: I Need A Career Adviser Please by Abduletudaye(m): 9:31pm On Mar 08, 2015
GAINltd:

Abduletutdaye,

Everyone/ At least more than half of the graduates in Nigeria believe they are versatile. You need to think of what sets you apart from this larger number of people. What are you passionate about that you are equally great at. e.g. a lot of people believe anyone can be a customer service agent, however if you have no patience or are generally a rude person, then this line of work is not good for you (you have no passion for it). So, it's time to stop thinking of how versatile you can be, but more on what you can see yourself doing for a long period of time without complaining.

When you figure it out, seek employment in that area. Be open-minded too. Even if you have to start as an intern/ volunteer, do so. This will at least help you build on your experience level (and give you a clearer picture on where you would rather go, career-wise.

Now the real question... Have you been home for 2 years straight with no employment?

I will look inward...altho' I have tried blogging....I feel its lucrative over time but i only tried it because i thought I had the passion..

this month will make it a year of blogging...and I feel tired, frustrated already.... infact, I have considered to call it quit.

Thanks for your responses so far and I hope I haven't derailed so much from what you have said.

For your question, yes. I haven't been employed for the past two years.

But... Presently, i am an admin of one of the nigerian entertainment website just to keep my fingers busy..I don't really consider this as a job tho'..
Re: I Need A Career Adviser Please by GAINltd: 8:34pm On Mar 09, 2015
Abduletudaye:

I will look inward...altho' I have tried blogging....I feel its lucrative over time but i only tried it because i thought I had the passion..

this month will make it a year of blogging...and I feel tired, frustrated already.... infact, I have considered to call it quit.

Thanks for your responses so far and I hope I haven't derailed so much from what you have said.

For your question, yes. I haven't been employed for the past two years.

But... Presently, i am an admin of one of the nigerian entertainment website just to keep my fingers busy..I don't really consider this as a job tho'..

You thought you had the passion? Kindly explain.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Need A Career Adviser Please by Abduletudaye(m): 9:27pm On Mar 09, 2015
GAINltd:

You thought you had the passion? Kindly explain.

i mean i thought i loved writing articles and sourcing for stories, news but its really not my thing..so am tired...
Re: I Need A Career Adviser Please by Nobody: 9:28pm On Mar 09, 2015
GAINltd:

Abduletutdaye,

Customer Service, My job? By d tym a customer rain insult on u n ur family u will realize u av b a professional

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Need A Career Adviser Please by Nobody: 9:57pm On Mar 09, 2015
@GAINltd, I have being thinking of taking a professional course in HR (CIPM to b precise) so dat I can venture into d HR field or to concentrate on my present job as a Call Center Agent and build a career from there. Pls, advice
Re: I Need A Career Adviser Please by GAINltd: 9:43pm On Mar 10, 2015
Abduletudaye:

i mean i thought i loved writing articles and sourcing for stories, news but its really not my thing..so am tired...

Sorry to here that Abduletudaye. At least we can rule out Public Relations/ Communications from your ability to be "versatile" on a job.

Now to move on to what you are good at or passionate about. What can of job/role will have you thinking about continue the work you just left behind on your way home or on a weekend?

1 Like

Re: I Need A Career Adviser Please by GAINltd: 9:44pm On Mar 10, 2015
Eddyken:
@GAINltd, I have being thinking of taking a professional course in HR (CIPM to b precise) so dat I can venture into d HR field or to concentrate on my present job as a Call Center Agent and build a career from there. Pls, advice

Why do you want to venture into HR, Eddyken?
Re: I Need A Career Adviser Please by Abduletudaye(m): 10:41pm On Mar 10, 2015
GAINltd:

Sorry to here that Abduletudaye. At least we can rule out Public Relations/ Communications from your ability to be "versatile" on a job.

Now to move on to what you are good at or passionate about. What can of job/role will have you thinking about continue the work you just left behind on your way home or on a weekend?

Maybe paper work...you know, documentation.. Things that have to do with written stuff... I also love social media..the cloud of knowledge hidden behind it. I just like finding out about things...
Re: I Need A Career Adviser Please by Nobody: 9:43am On Mar 11, 2015
GAINltd:

Why do you want to venture into HR, Eddyken?
Thanks @GAINltd, I discovered that i am a people-oriented person. I like meeting people, building relationship n solving problem. I believe dat with my people management skills, the HR field will avail me the opportunity to enhance and utilize my potentials.
Re: I Need A Career Adviser Please by Nobody: 9:53am On Mar 11, 2015
Let's talk. Wanna get inspired? Follow www.purposefullivingwithkosiebirim..com
Abduletudaye:
I'm really not sure what i need advise on...but once someone is willing to advise me, i would talk...

Will be waiting guys... smiley

1 Like

Re: I Need A Career Adviser Please by GAINltd: 9:47pm On Mar 11, 2015
Abduletudaye:

Maybe paper work...you know, documentation.. Things that have to do with written stuff... I also love social media..the cloud of knowledge hidden behind it. I just like finding out about things...

Documentation... Finding out about things... Sounds like you might have an affinity for something in the lines of Business Administration, doing Analysis/ Research.

If this sounds close to it, you are almost there. Make good use of the search engine Google (as they do say, Google is your friend). Use it to 'find out' what you can do if you like documentation, social media, and finding out about things.

Sound good? Let me know what you come up with.

1 Like

Re: I Need A Career Adviser Please by GAINltd: 9:52pm On Mar 11, 2015
Eddyken:

Thanks @GAINltd, I discovered that i am a people-oriented person. I like meeting people, building relationship n solving problem. I believe dat with my people management skills, the HR field will avail me the opportunity to enhance and utilize my potentials.

That's pretty awesome Eddyken. But HR is much more than meeting people. The same angry people you are running away from will be right there (and worse) in HR. This people will also not easily go away like the ones you encounter in Customer Service.

Do note that I am not trying to deter you from HR. I just believe you should be much more away of the whole scope of HR. Take a few free online courses on it and see if it is something you still have an affinity for.
Re: I Need A Career Adviser Please by moshoodn(m): 10:21pm On Mar 11, 2015
GainLtd..

Thumbs up.

1 Like

Re: I Need A Career Adviser Please by Abduletudaye(m): 10:35pm On Mar 11, 2015
GAINltd:

Documentation... Finding out about things... Sounds like you might have an affinity for something in the lines of Business Administration, doing Analysis/ Research.

If this sounds close to it, you are almost there. Make good use of the search engine Google (as they do say, Google is your friend). Use it to 'find out' what you can do if you like documentation, social media, and finding out about things.

Sound good? Let me know what you come up with.

Oh yes..I think social media analyst is what I should be wink

1 Like

Re: I Need A Career Adviser Please by Nobody: 6:35am On Mar 12, 2015
GAINltd:

That's pretty awesome Eddyken. But HR is much more than meeting people. The same angry people you are running away from will be right there (and worse) in HR. This people will also not easily go away like the ones you encounter in Customer Service.

Do note that I am not trying to deter you from HR. I just believe you should be much more away of the whole scope of HR. Take a few free online courses on it and see if it is something you still have an affinity for.
I appreciate ur sincere advice. I am aware dat difficult people can b found in every career but my passion for HR is born out of d quest for new responsibilities and challenge. I believe in career growth and professional development. I av taken few professional courses like NIM and Project Mgt wit IPMP during national service year but i now see them as worthless as no employer has ever refer to them even when i use them on my CV. That's my person, i am driven by professionalism. My present role do not offer d growth i desire. On the on line course, i will b greatful if u recommend one for me and the institution where to do it. Thanks

1 Like

Re: I Need A Career Adviser Please by Dera25(m): 6:50am On Mar 12, 2015
I love the analyses keep it rolling much things have been learnt already from this thread. How I wish I have any to contribute but never the less @op I pray that God will guide u through

2 Likes

Re: I Need A Career Adviser Please by Abduletudaye(m): 9:03am On Mar 12, 2015
Dera25:
I love the analyses keep it rolling much things have been learnt already from this thread. How I wish I have any to contribute but never the less @op I pray that God will guide u through

Thanks..
Re: I Need A Career Adviser Please by EvangTimothy(m): 11:28am On Mar 12, 2015
@ Gainltd. Am so impressed on how you are taking ur tyme to asist d op to discover himself. Thanks a lot.

2 Likes

Re: I Need A Career Adviser Please by EvangTimothy(m): 11:32am On Mar 12, 2015
@ GAINLTD & ALl: i am into production of customised paper air freshener for calls, home and offices. Kindly link me with contacts of companies or organisation dat i wil produce customised paper air freshener with thier logo or pic for. Thanks

1 Like

Re: I Need A Career Adviser Please by GAINltd: 10:29pm On Mar 15, 2015
Eddyken:

I appreciate ur sincere advice. I am aware dat difficult people can b found in every career but my passion for HR is born out of d quest for new responsibilities and challenge. I believe in career growth and professional development. I av taken few professional courses like NIM and Project Mgt wit IPMP during national service year but i now see them as worthless as no employer has ever refer to them even when i use them on my CV. That's my person, i am driven by professionalism. My present role do not offer d growth i desire. On the on line course, i will b greatful if u recommend one for me and the institution where to do it. Thanks

Try some free online courses first. Visit Alison.com or Coursera.org. Search for Human Resources related topics.

Good luck Eddyken
Re: I Need A Career Adviser Please by GAINltd: 10:31pm On Mar 15, 2015
EvangTimothy:
@ Gainltd. Am so impressed on how you are taking ur tyme to asist d op to discover himself. Thanks a lot.

We appreciate your kind feedback. Thank you
Re: I Need A Career Adviser Please by GAINltd: 10:33pm On Mar 15, 2015
Dera25:

It's funny. This thread started out almost dead and now someone else can gladly say they are actually learning from it. That's awesome.

You can also subscribe/ follow our blog at www.gainrecruitment..com for more insightful HR issues being addressed.
Re: I Need A Career Adviser Please by GAINltd: 10:34pm On Mar 15, 2015
EvangTimothy:
@ GAINLTD & ALl: i am into production of customised paper air freshener for calls, home and offices. Kindly link me with contacts of companies or organisation dat i wil produce customised paper air freshener with thier logo or pic for. Thanks

Sounds awesome. EvangTimothy, do you have a website?
Re: I Need A Career Adviser Please by Nobody: 10:45pm On Mar 15, 2015
GAINltd:

Try some free online courses first. Visit Alison.com or Coursera.org. Search for Human Resources related topics.

Good luck Eddyken
Thanks so much 4 ur time & response via mail & dis platform!!! May God bless U, ur family & ur career.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Zenith Bank Lays Off 400 Staffs / Every Structural Engineering Professional/student Must Read This / Profitable Abuja Businesses And Side Hustles To Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.