Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,460 members, 7,770,142 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 05:38 AM

Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio (86226 Views)

The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken / 5 Facts You Should Know About The Efik People / Efik/ibibio Names And Their Meaning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio by efikproper: 11:27am On Jul 27, 2015
@babaTony

oh yes we left our language behind the ibibio language is a subset of efik because it borrowed so heavily from the efik language and efik is widely spoken in some parts of akwa ibom from oron to uruan to adiadia and in abriba and arochucku and in parts of Cameroun

see, you still do not get it young man you do not claim what you are not and you cannot become wealthy or rewrite your history and repackage it because you are now earning more money from federal allocations. the truth is the efik fought for akwa ibom state as you guys were too timid and never wanted to leave your masters in calabar and we had to force you all out to go back home.

to tell you how slow you guys are at the creation of akwa ibom state no ibibio or akwa ibomite was present according to reported story in the news and it was chief tony ani the former minister of finance and chief edem omon both efiks who received the flag on behalf of ak and even named the state. do you know this to be true? I do not have any independent confirmation but I think chief ani said so if am not mistaken during the oil well saga

you guys would have remained in calabar till tomorrow and kept saying we are one and up till today you are desperately trying to be efik and there is a push back from the empire or what is known as the empire striking back because 5 million people should not desperately try to be assimilated into 2 million people except they are incapable of surviving on their own

the ibibio have their culture and history and are separate people from efik and that is it, it is what it is and there is no denying it and you belong in a separate state and in most cases closer to oron, ibeno, ikot abasi, anang people in ak and the ibos in aba, umuhia, onitsha, anambra than the efiks in calabar

please try to integrate your language and story with your nearest neighbors and live efik and her cultural heritage alone we just do not hate the ibibios but we want to preserve what is ours and in we like efik better.

cheers,
efikproper

1 Like

Re: Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio by BabaTony: 11:29am On Jul 27, 2015
efikproper:
in ibibio land boy boy are superior than their masters just a bunch of mentally inferior people please do not add your story or language to efik language

the efiks are Ok and proud of their history, language, culture and everything else and do not need ibibio or anyone else and you could live in calabar and learn to speak efik a superior language after all the ibibios no longer like their names like udoeyop, nwa, inibong, ofonmbuk, udofia, apkandem, ekpu (rat) for the more prestigious efik names like archibong, eyo, arit, asari, asandia, ekeng, ansa, andem, afi etc

in culture, you have changed your dressing mode from ibibio to efik and have also now borrowed the efik marriage tradition including the lavish efik ceremonies and costume and who would not after all na who no like better thing

well, a superior people do not discard their culture for another man's culture but inferior ones do and efik does not want anything out of Ibibio culture because it has a superior culture from her cuisines afang, afia efere, edikangikong, abak (banga soup), to her legendary sense of cleanliness to their genteel manner and welcoming ways

I just met an ibibio woman who confessed that efik language is just so romantic and her language not too pleasing to the ears and annoying. now I know why you people want to discard your language for efik

God forbid

efikproper

Lol, stupid superior names, names of slaves. Inferiority complex will kill you. Where did you dream that up? We use efik women and dump them because they are who they are -descendants of slaves, good for nothing ashawos. The efik aware are of their lowly state are very frustrated and are always desperate to look for whom yo vent up their frustration. Sorry the ibibios are not your mates. Go and look for your diick comparing competition with the efuts and quas. As far the ibibio people are concerned you are nothing but slaves and descendants of slaves.Nothing can change that. We the Freeborn will always show you the way.
Re: Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio by BabaTony: 11:35am On Jul 27, 2015
You still do not get it. The ibibios DO NOT CARE A RATS ASS ABOUT EFIK AND THEIR SILLY AND INFERIOR LANGUAGE!
Re: Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio by efikproper: 11:40am On Jul 27, 2015
@babaTony

please no efik name is silly the all have meanings and efik do not name their children after rats like ibibio in ibibio ekpu is rat and udoebok is second male child of a monkey

just a very surreal culture that is why you all are running from it

and we have a very popular ibibio journalist named ekpu rat, how about udoeyop and eyop is palm fruit and udo is a second male child so in ibibio udoeyop is the second male child of a palm tree?

in efik asari and asandia are named reserved for 2 female twins just like taiwo and kehinde in yoruba if am not mistaken..

please what names do you give twins in ibibio is it ekpu and ebok?

we do not want this Efik/Ibibio nonsense, the difference is clear

cheers,
efikproper
Re: Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio by Eyop: 11:57am On Jul 27, 2015
efikproper:
@babaTony

please no efik name is silly the all have meanings and efik do not name their children after rats like ibibio in ibibio ekpu is rat and udoebok is second male child of a monkey

and we have a very popular ibibio journalist named ekpu rat, how about udoeyop and eyop is palm fruit and udo is a second male child so in ibibio udoeyop is the second male child of a palm tree?

in efik asari and asandia are named reserved for 2 female twins just like taiwo and kehinde in yoruba if am not mistaken..

cheers,
efikproper

And what point are you making? Common sense should tell you that EYOP or UDOEYOP are ancient names with very strong traditional root and not common in AKS and if am not mistaken,it should be only 3 families in the entire AKS with those names. In Akwa-Ibom,how many families these days do you hear with such names? So why the unnecessary argument or comparison between Efik and Ibibio?

1 Like

Re: Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio by efikproper: 12:43pm On Jul 27, 2015
@eyop
I do not have no way of knowing if the name is ancient or not I am not from akwa ibom but I do know about two or three people presently who are bearing udoeyop

well, if I may ask what names have replaced those ancient names that are no longer in use as am curious if they are not being replaced with efik names as I have been running into a lot of ibibio people now bearing efik names which they have claimed as their own

cheers,
efikproper
Re: Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio by dynamicone38: 7:41pm On Nov 04, 2015
you efik slave will you not shutup your mouth? where did you say EFIK LANGUAGE came from? who gave you the name ibibio? how did EFIK'S come about these words? EFIK EDI MBAKARA and MBAKARA EKARA EFIK, EFIK EKARA IDUT, and how do you understand it. slave who wants to over ride his master. look before you comment anything on internet always think twice. please dont let me insult you, but i think you should ask your father where you came from. cause for all i know ibibio's are slave to efiks. but onless you or any ibibio man answer any of those questions of mine before i'll comment again cause i want to know how enliten you are and finaly for now where did you ibibios migrate from?[color=#000099]
Re: Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio by psucc(m): 7:37am On Nov 06, 2015
@efikproper

I have seen your desperation at elevating efik over others. You mean you do not know the difference between efik and Ibibio?

These are two distinct tribes with its divergent in language and culture even though some seem to be similar e.g. ekpe. It will surprise you that even the Igbo has this. Culture or language may not be entirely different and distinct.
Re: Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio by LauraNicky(f): 12:06pm On Aug 25, 2016
Hi please what does Eyin Utere Ame di mean. Good morning
Re: Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio by OgaBuhari: 2:45am On Jul 12, 2017
BabaTony:

Lol, efik empire stretching through ibibio land to igbo land. Other empires in the world leave their languages behind but your concocted efik empire forgot to leave anything behind. Fraudsters like you should be jailed. Thank God social media is there for you because if you say this rubbish you are vomiting here even on the streets of calabar you will surely be lynched! I have told you get more education it will help before coming to talk to me. What concerns ibibio with ekpe when there is ekong, akata, ekpo etc. I have told you times without number, efik was known just because the British made calabar their slave and administrative hq, where they sold you people out with careless abandon. So mr slave proper, keep your slave mmentality to yourself and don't try infecting the PROUD AND GREAT IBIBIO PEOPLE.
savage hahaha that guy's hatred for the Ibibios is stinking. Jealousy go kill am. Pls just take it easy on the boy. He needs sense
Re: Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio by OgaBuhari: 2:51am On Jul 12, 2017
LauraNicky:
Hi please what does Eyin Utere Ame di mean. Good morning
CHISOS hope its not you that person referred to?
Eyin (child) Utere (vulture) ame di (Welcome).

Vulture's child welcome.
Re: Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio by rotonye: 1:54pm On Mar 06, 2018
Isantim.
ITbomb:
What do you call this?
Re: Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio by psucc(m): 10:37am On Mar 08, 2018
So at the end this thread has ceased from its original purpose and redirected to superiority contest between the Efiks and the Ibibios. This is so sad.

Anyway, I represent #Itu Mbonuso and neither of the fighters.
Re: Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jul 01, 2018
xaco:
Squirrel - adua
Ant. - nnwene
Duck - unen ikpopo/unen mmakara
Happy birthday.
Re: Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio by OgaBuhari: 10:51pm On Aug 05, 2018
psucc:
So at the end this thread has ceased from its original purpose and redirected to superiority contest between the Efiks and the Ibibios. This is so sad.

Anyway, I represent #Itu Mbonuso and neither of the fighters.
which one is itu mbonuso? Is it in itu local govt?
Re: Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio by psucc(m): 3:33pm On Aug 07, 2018
No Sir. it is an ethnic group in Ini Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom State. Though, the name may be an indicator to some affinity, one can't actually write that off. There may be a nexus only that the people has a distinct language.
OgaBuhari:
Re: Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio by OgaBuhari: 10:12pm On Aug 07, 2018
psucc:
No Sir. it is an ethnic group in Ini Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom State. Though, the name may be an indicator to some affinity, one can't actually write that off. There may be a nexus only that the people has a distinct language.
lemme also ask this.. Does uruan share boundary with cross river and can one transport itself directly from uruan to odukpani via boat?
Re: Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio by psucc(m): 10:47am On Aug 08, 2018
Sorry sir, I am not on the know and would not give false information. Thank you.
OgaBuhari:
lemme also ask this.. Does uruan share boundary with cross river and can one transport itself directly from uruan to odukpani via boat?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio by vTrigger: 5:02am On Dec 31, 2018
Isong idem o, ndito ukan nyin!
Yak ntag iko mbakara, mbak anwaga afit owo.
Can someone clarify the difference between Adua and Ayiot or ayiod?
It seems to me that both are not squirrels, I maybe wrong but we have some variation in dialects.
Adua lives on trees while Ayiot lives in holes on the ground, so let's get that straight.

Good observation to see:
Horse = Enag mbakara
Cricket = Idiang or Ediang in Anag
I also observe someone using "Q" in place of "kw" for e.g. iquod in place of ikwot for frog.
There is also something very interesting. I observed many variations in certain areas in Efik/ibibio land like calling Bat - "Mkpem" or "mkpekpem"
In a nut shell the similarities are quite enticing and worth to be proud of sharing the wonderful culture,
Unfortunately, the culture and languages are somehow endangered.
Meanwhile, let's enjoy this wonderful seasons and Happy New year to everyone!
Re: Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio by jbblues24(m): 10:07pm On Jun 01, 2019
Outstandingly thought out! How do you make this? Photoshop? grin
Re: Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio by Helashaw1(f): 10:15pm On Dec 21, 2019
In the Efik culture, the consonant letter "Q" is replaced as "kw",so no spelling in Efik has letter Q[color=#006600][/color][b][/b]. smiley
vTrigger:
Isong idem o, ndito ukan nyin!
Yak ntag iko mbakara, mbak anwaga afit owo.
Can someone clarify the difference between Adua and Ayiot or ayiod?
It seems to me that both are not squirrels, I maybe wrong but we have some variation in dialects.
Adua lives on trees while Ayiot lives in holes on the ground, so let's get that straight.

Good observation to see:
Horse = Enag mbakara
Cricket = Idiang or Ediang in Anag
I also observe someone using "Q" in place of "kw" for e.g. iquod in place of ikwot for frog.
There is also something very interesting. I observed many variations in certain areas in Efik/ibibio land like calling Bat - "Mkpem" or "mkpekpem"
In a nut shell the similarities are quite enticing and worth to be proud of sharing the wonderful culture,
Unfortunately, the culture and languages are somehow endangered.
Meanwhile, let's enjoy this wonderful seasons and Happy New year to everyone!
Re: Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio by psucc(m): 4:55pm On Dec 26, 2019
OgaBuhari:
No! Itu Mbonuso is a tribe in Ini LGA of AKWA IBOM State.
Re: Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio by EmptyCoconutHead(m): 1:47am On Jan 19, 2020
psucc:
No! Itu Mbonuso is a tribe in Ini LGA of AKWA IBOM State.
tribe ke?
itu mbonuso is a group under Ini LGA and they are Ibibios
Re: Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio by psucc(m): 11:18am On Jan 19, 2020
EmptyCoconutHead:
tribe ke?
itu mbonuso is a group under Ini LGA and they are Ibibios
They are not a group and never Ibibio.

Please mention the features of a tribe and I will fill them to prove they are not Ibibiios
Re: Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio by IbrahimSola: 9:13am On May 28, 2022
IGWISE:

Butterfly is bomonkuku

Butterfly= Mkpufofiop
Bomonkuku = pigeon (check the Bible)
Re: Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio by Trendsoulmate(f): 4:27am On Jul 21, 2022
Akpan107:
God bless you my brother!

Vulture = emmmm...?

I will check later.

vulture UTERE
Re: Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio by martjay(m): 2:16pm On Jul 21, 2022
BabaTony:

Lol, stupid superior names, names of slaves. Inferiority complex will kill you. Where did you dream that up? We use efik women and dump them because they are who they are -descendants of slaves, good for nothing ashawos. The efik aware are of their lowly state are very frustrated and are always desperate to look for whom yo vent up their frustration. Sorry the ibibios are not your mates. Go and look for your diick comparing competition with the efuts and quas. As far the ibibio people are concerned you are nothing but slaves and descendants of slaves.Nothing can change that. We the Freeborn will always show you the way.

Please you don't have to go this far. He is filled with hatred. The earlier he realizes that we are bothers and sisters the better for him.
Re: Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio by martjay(m): 2:30pm On Jul 21, 2022
BabaTony:
You still do not get it. The ibibios DO NOT CARE A RATS ASS ABOUT EFIK AND THEIR SILLY AND INFERIOR LANGUAGE!

I don't really know what brings about the hatred between Efik and Ibibio. We supposed to be our brothers and sisters keeper. We are one irrespective of political demarcation. Cross River and Akwa Ibom supposed form aliance to boost their economy instead of fighting. We have the same culture, same cuisines, our language are intelligible and same ancestors. Why the hatred amongst ourselves?
Re: Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio by martjay(m): 2:33pm On Jul 21, 2022
efikproper:
@babaTony

cheers,
efikproper

You are a divisive person and wicked. Why spewing all these nonsense?
Re: Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio by martjay(m): 2:35pm On Jul 21, 2022
efikproper:
@babaTony

oh yes we left our language behind the ibibio language is a subset of efik because it borrowed so heavily from the efik language and efik is widely spoken in some parts of akwa ibom from oron to uruan to adiadia and in abriba and arochucku and in parts of Cameroun

see, you still do not get it young man you do not claim what you are not and you cannot become wealthy or rewrite your history and repackage it because you are now earning more money from federal allocations. the truth is the efik fought for akwa ibom state as you guys were too timid and never wanted to leave your masters in calabar and we had to force you all out to go back home.

to tell you how slow you guys are at the creation of akwa ibom state no ibibio or akwa ibomite was present according to reported story in the news and it was chief tony ani the former minister of finance and chief edem omon both efiks who received the flag on behalf of ak and even named the state. do you know this to be true? I do not have any independent confirmation but I think chief ani said so if am not mistaken during the oil well saga

you guys would have remained in calabar till tomorrow and kept saying we are one and up till today you are desperately trying to be efik and there is a push back from the empire or what is known as the empire striking back because 5 million people should not desperately try to be assimilated into 2 million people except they are incapable of surviving on their own

the ibibio have their culture and history and are separate people from efik and that is it, it is what it is and there is no denying it and you belong in a separate state and in most cases closer to oron, ibeno, ikot abasi, anang people in ak and the ibos in aba, umuhia, onitsha, anambra than the efiks in calabar

please try to integrate your language and story with your nearest neighbors and live efik and her cultural heritage alone we just do not hate the ibibios but we want to preserve what is ours and in we like efik better.

cheers,
efikproper

You are not fit to live among humans

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Geles: A Nigerian Woman's Must Have. The History Behind Geles / South African Lady Goes Topless To Celebrate Her Culture With Pride / Ooni Ogunwusi Blasted For Kneeling In Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.