Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,654 members, 7,816,682 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:04 PM

British Hospital Suspends Nigerian Nurse For Chatting On Phone At Work - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / British Hospital Suspends Nigerian Nurse For Chatting On Phone At Work (1805 Views)

Nigerian Nurse Who Treated Liberian Patrick Sawyer Dies Of Ebola / August New Month Wishes For All / Chatting on Nairaland? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

British Hospital Suspends Nigerian Nurse For Chatting On Phone At Work by amebono14: 6:20pm On Jan 13, 2009
Lagos — A British hospital has suspended a Nigerian-born nurse for allegedly chatting on her mobile phone while administering blood test on a patient.

According to the London-based Daily Mail on Monday, Calista Ukaegbu was said to have used hand signals to tell the woman patient what to do while she was so engrossed in her conversation.

When the patient made her displeasure clear to the nurse, she said 'sorry' but carried on with the call. She only stopped the conversation when a colleague walked in and made it clear that she should hang up, the report claimed.

However the management of Queen Elizabeth Hospital, in Woolwich, South East London, confirmed they had suspended Miss Ukaegbu earlier this month after a complaint was made about her 'unprofessional' behaviour.

Ukaegbu, it is understood arrived in Britain from Nigeria and was qualified to work in British hospitals in March 2002.

The incident took place earlier this year, when an unnamed female patient in her thirties visited the hospital's Women's Department. The woman needed to have a blood test and some measurements taken for some minor surgery that was due to take place at a later date.

The patient claimed she was greeted by Ukaegbu who was talking on her mobile phone in a foreign language.

The nurse indicated that the woman should roll up her sleeve to allow her blood pressure to be taken. She then took the readings and later pointed to indicate that she should measure herself against a wall chart. The telephone conversation lasted for at least six minutes, it was alleged.

Poor attitude to work by medical staff-including doctors and nurses in both Nigeria and England has been on the increase, an act that has been condemned by the public. In Nigeria for example, patients have been left to bleed to death or have complications because of the ineptitude on the part of medical staff.

The patient is a relative of former newspaper editor and radio station owner Kelvin Mackenzie. She does not want to be identified but Mr Mackenzie said: "Incredibly, for six minutes this nurse held a social conversation on her mobile phone while indicating to my relative through hand signals what to do.

"All this went on while this nurse continued with her conversation with a friend, it was quite clear it was a social conversation from the tone of her voice. It had nothing to do with work.

"The conversation was in a foreign language - but that is irrelevant. I just cannot believe the nurse was concentrating on the job she was supposed to be doing whilst talking to a friend on the phone," Mackenzie was quoted Daily Mail.

Mackenzie revealed that his relative had suffered from high blood pressure in the past and would have liked to enquire about her recent reading. But this was denied her as the nurse kept on with the conversation.

He said: "The mobile conversation only came to an end when another nurse came into the room and stood there looking at Ukaegbu on the phone. The second nurse said nothing but effectively shamed the nurse into terminating the call and

conversation."

He said "I think the whole episode is symptomatic of a malaise in society. In hospitals there are so many managers but not really people to manage with such incidents. It was humiliating for my relative to have the blood test carried out in this way."

Details of the incident emerged just weeks after staff at the hospital were reminded of the 'correct standards of behaviour' when dealing with patients.

On Monday, a source said the management of the Queen Elizabeth Hospital was taking the matter 'very seriously', adding: "It sends completely the wrong message about how we are supposed to look after people."

Medical professionals have found that mobile phones used in hospitals can cause electromagnetic interference with some medical devices. Some hospitals ask that mobile phones are not used near critical care areas.

When the Daily Mail contacted her at her home in Woolwich, she said: "I have nothing to say about this issue. I am not happy you have contacted me at my home. Please leave me alone."

http://nm.onlinenigeria.com/templates/?a=14531&z=9
Re: British Hospital Suspends Nigerian Nurse For Chatting On Phone At Work by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jan 13, 2009
she thought she was back at Ajegunle General Hospital.
Re: British Hospital Suspends Nigerian Nurse For Chatting On Phone At Work by SeanT21(f): 6:32pm On Jan 13, 2009
Why is this a topic?

Nurses gets suspended all the time.BIG DEAL!!
Re: British Hospital Suspends Nigerian Nurse For Chatting On Phone At Work by amebono14: 6:38pm On Jan 13, 2009
SeanT21:

Why is this a topic?

sheesh
Re: British Hospital Suspends Nigerian Nurse For Chatting On Phone At Work by Raymond88(m): 9:48pm On Jan 13, 2009
davidylan:

she thought she was back at Ajegunle General Hospital.
Even that behavior is low class in any standard.
Re: British Hospital Suspends Nigerian Nurse For Chatting On Phone At Work by Papasmith: 2:37am On Jan 24, 2009
With all her qualification to work abroad, she has showcase herself as someone after hard currency, lack respect for

humanity and dent the image of our wonderful country Nigeria. Hope others will learn from her mistake.
Re: British Hospital Suspends Nigerian Nurse For Chatting On Phone At Work by osisi2(f): 2:42am On Jan 24, 2009
She needed to be fired completely and her license suspended.
And with the way Nigerians scream on the phone I can imagine her shouting on top of her lungs while speaking her Igbo.
Re: British Hospital Suspends Nigerian Nurse For Chatting On Phone At Work by JJYOU: 3:35am On Jan 24, 2009
i curse the day they allowed nigerians to own a mobile phone. i have seen the way they use it  to disturb in places of worship as if their lives depended on it.  i have been asking how did we survive without mobile phones?  foolish idiot. should be sacked not just suspended
Re: British Hospital Suspends Nigerian Nurse For Chatting On Phone At Work by kellygirl(f): 4:53pm On Jan 24, 2009
undecided undecided
Re: British Hospital Suspends Nigerian Nurse For Chatting On Phone At Work by bintab(f): 8:57am On Jun 29, 2009
**osisi:

She needed to be fired completely and her license suspended.
And with the way Nigerians scream on the phone I can imagine her shouting on top of her lungs while speaking her Igbo.
Haba,ki lode ke.she only needs to be reprimanded ,only god knows what the converstion entailed.We should not judge badly.,Abi ke.
Re: British Hospital Suspends Nigerian Nurse For Chatting On Phone At Work by PurestBoy(m): 1:08pm On Jul 03, 2009
She deserved to be jailed too,
Re: British Hospital Suspends Nigerian Nurse For Chatting On Phone At Work by Nobody: 1:08pm On Jul 05, 2009
There's no need to indicate that she is Nigerian, although i totally get the fact that Nigerians are an ignorant bunch when it comes to the work place.
She is a Nurse that got suspended for doing the wrong thing. End of discussion.

People should stop acting surprised. If you go to any bank in Nigeria, the bankers act like they are doing you a favour. I keep thinking its my business in the bank that pays their freaking salary. Customer service is zero. The same thing happens in all hotels and malls all over the country.
The only time Nigerians show customer service is when they know you are "wealthy" i.e you are putting on an "agbada" or wicked suit.
The Nurse only did what every typical Nigerian does.

(1) (Reply)

My Nairaland Regrets / Chicago Firefighters Battle Flames In Bitter Cold / Canelo Fight 2017 Tonight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.