Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,790 members, 7,851,666 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 04:49 AM

Failed Card Reader: Africans Are Just Too Dumb - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Failed Card Reader: Africans Are Just Too Dumb (1627 Views)

'Deaf & Dumb' Boko Haram With Charms & Bunch Of Keys Arrested By Soldiers (Pics) / U.S Political Analysist: Are Africans Too Dumb To Develope? / Donald Trump: ''Africans Are Lazy Fools Only Good At Lovemaking And Stealing” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Failed Card Reader: Africans Are Just Too Dumb by Nobody: 2:09pm On Mar 08, 2015
I am having some good laugh over the reports of the card readers failing to read cards or taking too much time to read if it did.

When the white man has a problem, he sits down, anaysis his problems and proffers suitable solutions.

When the black man has a problem, he runs to the white man's land to buy a solution!

Whether the solution will fit into his problem is another story.

If the card readers are what they are telling us they are:
It means the card readers can connect to INEC registration data base, confirm whether the data on a card is in the database.

Questions we need to ask are:

1. After a person has voted, can the card reader flag a voter in the database as having voted so that if the card is used again, it will reject it?
2. Since the card reader can connect to the central database, does that not mean any registered voter can be accredited from any location?
3. Or is the INEC data base located state by state, LGA by LGA and even polling unit by polling unit?
4. If the card reader is just for accreditation purposes only and it is not centralized, how the can it stop rigging?
5. What stops an INEC staff from deactivating certain voters on the server so their cards can be rendered invalid?

There are many more questions to ask!

Yet, my problem is not just this card reader.

Common traffic lights last only for 6 months and pack up.
ATM services are terrible.
Telephone networks are apologies.

Then we are going electronic with voting! Those calling for electronic voting as at now do not know what they are asking for

I laugh in Biafra.

The sooner Africans will sit down to think of African solutions to African problems, the better for us

Am I saying we should abandon technology?
No!
I am saying we should adapt them to suit our peculiar problems.
I am saying we should evolve them.

that something is working in America does not mean it will work here.
You guys can quote me!

Many already believe the card reader is a solution to rigging but the truth is this, card reader can be the master rigger tool.

Dont be surprised that after Jega, you hear of the bribery on the purchase of card reader.
Dont be surprised if the card reader is abandoned or a new contract being awarded for a new type of card reader.

What is wrong with Africans
Why are we so dumb?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Failed Card Reader: Africans Are Just Too Dumb by charlos14: 2:11pm On Mar 08, 2015
REALLY
Re: Failed Card Reader: Africans Are Just Too Dumb by menix(m): 2:31pm On Mar 08, 2015
OP u re right...
Somtym dis year a bank asked pple to go online 4 a test nd i blive som of u who went that day to d cafe spent d whole day wivout a positive outcome

FAAN had their online application, am sure som who applied knew ow long it took u, especially if u tried it d 1st week of d advert.

I wonder wat database INEC ve got that would accomodate d traffic considering it jst few hours for accreditation..

Goin electronic is welcomed buh we should take tym to accomodate nd make ammends d flaws to serve its purpose.

2 Likes

Re: Failed Card Reader: Africans Are Just Too Dumb by bodejohn(m): 2:48pm On Mar 08, 2015
Contrary to your opinion @OP, the card readers are not linked to INEC's server.

They are standalone units with the data of each polling unit loaded on them. The readers are expected to compare the data stored in the cards with the ones in its memory and determine whether they are original or fake.

According to INEC, the number of accredited voters can also be gotten from the card readers when they are returned back to their office.

People are always reluctant to try new things and new processes also bring with it some complications but come to think of it, even with catastrophic accidents in the air, faster and bigger airliners are manufactured each year.

We can make our systems more efficient and foolproof only if we are willing to.

7 Likes

Re: Failed Card Reader: Africans Are Just Too Dumb by asadokie: 2:55pm On Mar 08, 2015
There is no technology based control device that cannot be bypassed. All this card reader thing for Nigeria is an absolute waste of time. NY the time it's flaws are discovered, which I believe has happened already, rigging during obasanjo' time would be child's play. Control systems in banking, under the management of the private owners of these banks get manipulated to perpetrate heavy frauds, not to talk of a control system under the management of a body like inec. It's a joke.

If we want to stop rigging in Nigeria, elections should be held for a period of two months minimum, and in not more than one state at a time, so that political parties can deploy their machinery to monitor activities in that state thoroughly.

Electronic devices fail like mad and are very easily manipulated once there is someone who has requisite knowledge.

The card readers from inec, is a waste.

noblezone:
I am having some good laugh over the reports of the card readers failing to read cards or taking too much time to read if it did.

When the white man has a problem, he sits down, anaysis his problems and proffers suitable solutions.

When the black man has a problem, he runs to the white man's land to buy a solution!

It means the card readers can connect to INEC registration data base, confirm whether the data on a card is in the database.

1. After a person has voted, can the card reader flag a voter in the database as having voted so that if the card is used again, it will reject it?
2. Since the card reader can connect to the central database, does that not mean any registered voter can be accredited from any location?
3. Or is the INEC data base located state by state, LGA by LGA and even polling unit by polling unit?
4. If the card reader is just for accreditation purposes only and it is not centralized, how the can it stop rigging?
5. What stops an INEC staff from deactivating certain voters on the server so their cards can be rendered invalid?

Then we are going electronic with voting! Those calling for electronic voting as at now do not know what they are asking for

I laugh in Biafra.

The sooner Africans will sit down to think of African solutions to African problems, the better for us

No!

You guys can quote me!

Many already believe the card reader is a solution to rigging but the truth is this, card reader can be the master rigger tool.

Dont be surprised that after Jega, you hear of the bribery on the purchase of card reader.
Dont be surprised if the card reader is abandoned or a new contract being awarded for a new type of card reader.

Why are we so dumb?

1 Like

Re: Failed Card Reader: Africans Are Just Too Dumb by change500: 2:59pm On Mar 08, 2015
1. The card reader can only send data when d Inec official manning the card press the send button and that will likely happen after the whole accreditation process. The card is configured in such a way that it will not accept any card twice.

2. Registered voters can only vote in a particular polling unit or voting point because the card readers have been configured to recognise only data on the voters register for respective polling units or voting point.

3.The server is centralized.

4. It will help reduce rigging because the total number of votes can never be more than the accredited voters. For instance if 600 people register in a particular polling unit and 200 come out to vote. The expected number of votes should be 200 or less, unlike before where somebody can just stay somewhere and thumb print for the 400 absentees.

5. your number 5 question is possible, but that can also happen with the voters register. we saw it in anambra where people saw their names two weeks before election and some of them couldn't see their names on the day of election, including a

governorship candidate.

In my opinion the main challenge is the capturing of finger print. I believe Inec will find away around it.

God bless Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Failed Card Reader: Africans Are Just Too Dumb by gists: 3:14pm On Mar 08, 2015
OP is another PDP e-fear monger desperately looking for any reason under the sun to discredit and abandon the use of card reader. How come the issue of multiple voters becomes an issue now that we have card readers but it was never an issue in past elections? If we were able to (largely) curb multiple voting in the past when we didn't have card readers, are we now supposed to be scared of multiple voting because we now have card readers?

On the issue of getting accredited from various polling units, I believe it has been said countless number of times that a voter can only get accredited and vote in his polling unit. Voters register is still there the good old-fashioned way. If I understand the process correctly, the INEC staff only need to verify your card after checking your name on the voters register.

The shameful type of rigging we saw in 2011 cannot repeat itself when 98% of registered voters turned out for voting and 95% of those voted for the same candidate. In 2011, people used the "left-over" ballot papers that belonged to those didn't come out to vote to beef-up the vote count of pdp. In this year's election, the card reader will not allow that to happen. A polling unit cannot have more votes than those that are properly accredited using the card readers. SO, if out of 1000 voters in a polling unit, only 300 are accredited (for whatever reasons), that polling unit cannot produce a result more than 300 votes. Unlike in 2011, this same polling unit would have produced a result of 950 voters.

On the other issues, so because our telephone network is not at the same level with with what obtains in 1st world nations, we should go back to the days of communicating with smoke signal.
Similarly, because our ATM system is not perfect, is the op suggesting we go back to the days of tally numbers?

Agreed the systems are far from perfect, we need to keep tweaking the system and make it better. I big part of that tweaking is getting our electioneering system right.
No amount of fear-mongering will discourage us from using the card readers and pave way for PDP rigging machine to do what it knows how to do best.

6 Likes

Re: Failed Card Reader: Africans Are Just Too Dumb by Nobody: 3:17pm On Mar 08, 2015
bodejohn:
Contrary to your opinion @OP, the card readers are not linked to INEC's server.

They are standalone units with the data of each polling unit loaded on them. The readers are expected to compare the data stored in the cards with the ones in its memory and determine whether they are original or fake.

According to INEC, the number of accredited voters can also be gotten from the card readers when they are returned back to their office.

People are always reluctant to try new things and new processes also bring with it some complications but come to think of it, even with catastrophic accidents in the air, faster and bigger airliners are manufactured each year.

We can make our systems more efficient and foolproof only if we are willing to.

Then it simply shows the card readers can be used to rig effectively.
Since they are stand alone, they can be manipulated at their units and then be returned to INEC.

No wonder people are stealing and buying PVCs, they know what is on ground.
Also, if I insert a card, and it recognizes it an records it, when I remove it and put it again, what happens?

Will the card reader reject the card?
will it accept it but not record it again?
Or will still accept it and record it?

The rigging will be done at the units, our ATM systems are hacked and manipulated.
Let alone this.

It is not about being scared of trying new things sir,
It is about the fact that things such as this are not done over night.
If the card readers are not synchronized in a central database, then forget it.
All that need to be done is this, get the number of registered voters in polling unit, manipulate the card readers to that number, then do what you wish to do with it.

If care is not taken, many people are going to disenfranchised.

1 Like

Re: Failed Card Reader: Africans Are Just Too Dumb by SomebodyLovesMe: 3:38pm On Mar 08, 2015
Whatever its flaws are, the risk of rigging is multiplied when the card reader is not used.

We are already aware that a certain party has purchased a huge number of PVCs to be used for rigging. This same party is the one kicking against card readers

Until a better solution comes along, the card reader must be used.

2 Likes

Re: Failed Card Reader: Africans Are Just Too Dumb by OrlandoOwoh(m): 3:42pm On Mar 08, 2015
Some Nigerians are just backward. OP, have you tried breaking your SIM card and going back to using NIPOST because GSM service is poor? Afterall your forefather didn't even use any such thing just as we can not just start using anything the oyibo man uses.

4 Likes

Re: Failed Card Reader: Africans Are Just Too Dumb by sinkhole: 3:51pm On Mar 08, 2015
PVC and fingerprint is used, if u steal pvc what of the fingerprint? OP if u urself have pvc u may have seen the beauty of it!
Re: Failed Card Reader: Africans Are Just Too Dumb by Nobody: 4:20pm On Mar 08, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:
Some Nigerians are just backward. OP, have you tried breaking your SIM card and going back to using NIPOST because GSM service is poor? Afterall your forefather didn't even use any such thing just as we can not just start using anything the oyibo man uses.

Quite unfortunate you misunderstand me.

I never said we should go back to those days.
I am simply concerned on the possibilities of using the card reader for the master rigging.
Re: Failed Card Reader: Africans Are Just Too Dumb by Nobody: 4:22pm On Mar 08, 2015
sinkhole:
PVC and fingerprint is used, if u steal pvc what of the fingerprint? OP if u urself have pvc u may have seen the beauty of it!

Yes I have PVC. It is fine.

The fact that authentication is not from a cenral server, makes the whole thing volunerable.

Make una no worry.
Re: Failed Card Reader: Africans Are Just Too Dumb by bodejohn(m): 4:59pm On Mar 08, 2015
noblezone:

Then it simply shows the card readers can be used to rig effectively.
Since they are stand alone, they can be manipulated at their units and then be returned to INEC.

No wonder people are stealing and buying PVCs, they know what is on ground.
Also, if I insert a card, and it recognizes it an records it, when I remove it and put it again, what happens?

Will the card reader reject the card?
will it accept it but not record it again?
Or will still accept it and record it?

The rigging will be done at the units, our ATM systems are hacked and manipulated.
Let alone this.

It is not about being scared of trying new things sir,
It is about the fact that things such as this are not done over night.
If the card readers are not synchronized in a central database, then forget it.
All that need to be done is this, get the number of registered voters in polling unit, manipulate the card readers to that number, then do what you wish to do with it.

If care is not taken, many people are going to disenfranchised.

Elections are not rigged at the polling units.
It is mostly at the collation centers that the manipulation happens.

Can you tell me how you want to manipulate the card reader at the polling unit in the full glare of the voters?

We can ague the timing of the card readers but the technology behind it can be made foolproof at least to the voters and politicians.
Re: Failed Card Reader: Africans Are Just Too Dumb by seankay(m): 5:36pm On Mar 08, 2015
As an adhoc staff, the card reader will make rigging almost impossible. My only ishh wif it is d battery life but we've been assured dat dere wud b generators in polling units.

Any time I read an article bashing d use of the card reader, I simply click on the OP profile to read his/her previous comments and I've always noticed they are GEJITES. They desperately want the cancellation of d usage of the card reader undecided

2 Likes

Re: Failed Card Reader: Africans Are Just Too Dumb by Nobody: 6:07pm On Mar 08, 2015
noblezone:

No!

In your looong write up I did not see any suggestion or how to adapt it.

It's sooo easy to criticize o.

What is your own suggestion?

1 Like

Re: Failed Card Reader: Africans Are Just Too Dumb by makten: 2:01am On Dec 30, 2015
Low IQ
Re: Failed Card Reader: Africans Are Just Too Dumb by HiddenShadow: 2:09am On Dec 30, 2015
noblezone:

I laugh in Biafra.

No!

You guys can quote me!

Why are we so dumb?

Any society where progressive and retrogressive tribes are put together as one nation, you will hardly see ingenuity and development.eg Nigeria Burundi Central Africa

Balkanize Africa now
Re: Failed Card Reader: Africans Are Just Too Dumb by makten: 2:21am On Dec 30, 2015
HiddenShadow:

Any society where progressive and retrogressive tribes are put together as one nation, you will hardly see ingenuity and development.eg Nigeria Burundi Central Africa

Balkanize Africa now
which ones are the progressive and which ones are the regressive?
Re: Failed Card Reader: Africans Are Just Too Dumb by makten: 2:32am On Dec 30, 2015
motunlinks0310:
are you a young cute boy or beautiful young girl?
wanna hook up with sugar mummies and daddies
from abuja, lagos and other states in the country?
contact madam motun on this number today..,
08060020871 or whatapps....and get quick and
fast hook ups ..charges applies

This is why blacks have so much AIDS
Re: Failed Card Reader: Africans Are Just Too Dumb by superpundit: 5:40pm On Dec 30, 2015
thank you writer. I have always said it that the card reader thing is a fraud. I have questioned the functionality . Nigerians lack capacity to analyse things because they are mentally lazy and so accept whatever lame explanation that is given to them under any guise. That was the main reason why APC was able to scam them at the last general election and it is still scamming them.
what a pity? Or how do you explain Amechie and Saraki selling a dummy to Nigerians that PDP destroyed Nigeria for 16 years. the simple question Nigerians should have asked which they were blind to and lame to ask was where were thou in the past 16 years?
Re: Failed Card Reader: Africans Are Just Too Dumb by Oz4realsss: 6:24pm On Dec 30, 2015
bodejohn:

If the card reader machines are standalone systems with independent memory, how does one machine in a polling unit differentiate a card that has been accredited by another machine in the same unit? I just like you to throw more light on this.
Re: Failed Card Reader: Africans Are Just Too Dumb by Emekamex(m): 6:25pm On Dec 30, 2015
@Op nice one
Re: Failed Card Reader: Africans Are Just Too Dumb by bodejohn(m): 6:34pm On Dec 30, 2015
Oz4realsss:
If the card reader machines are standalone systems with independent memory, how does one machine in a polling unit differentiate a card that has been accredited by another machine in the same unit? I just like you to throw more light on this.

Very simple...if you noticed during the elections, the card readers had numbers on them...I suppose INEC will only load data of that particular polling on it...or maybe the data of a particular polling unit might have been stored on a flash card and then inserted into the card reader...
Re: Failed Card Reader: Africans Are Just Too Dumb by Oz4realsss: 7:27pm On Dec 30, 2015
bodejohn:

Very simple...if you noticed during the elections, the card readers had numbers on them...I suppose INEC will only load data of that particular polling on it...or maybe the data of a particular polling unit might have been stored on a flash card and then inserted into the card reader...
Okay

(1) (Reply)

Yoruba Elders Got N750million To Endorse Jonathan's Re-election Bid / Buhari Is Slaying Sule Lamido / BREAKING: Ekiti 19 APC Lawmakers Cancel Peace Meeting Over Secret Arrest Plot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.