Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,054 members, 7,814,629 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:31 PM

Nairalanders,lets Discuss The Morality Of Prostitution - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nairalanders,lets Discuss The Morality Of Prostitution (1649 Views)

Virgins Are A Burden, The Bible Doesn't Condemn Prostitution- Ghanaian Pastor / Dialectics Of Violence And Morality / Self-service, Selfless-service And Nigerian Christian Morality. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairalanders,lets Discuss The Morality Of Prostitution by mumumugu(m): 6:29pm On Mar 08, 2015
main moral concern about prostitution is that it is exploitative.

Of course, almost all other jobs are exploitative in this fashion. Think, for example, of how much the typical worker gets paid and how much profits the industry in question makes.

Of course, profit can also be made by exploiting the customer or the supplier of raw materials. But, profit by its very nature seems to require exploitation-someone has to be getting less than what they deserve.

Of course, if all exploitation is wrong, then almost all jobs would be immoral.

reason that prostitution is regarded as immoral is that it is supposed to be degrading to the prostitute In most cases, this is true. To treat someone as mere sexual object is to fail to respect their worth as human being.

Of course, many jobs are degrading and are still considered morally acceptable. For example, cleaning people’s toilets or working as a servant can be regarded as degrading. Working in a sweatshop is also degrading. In fact, a case could be made that most employment involves some attack on human dignity. Of course, the degree of degradation varies widely. But, if some degradation is morally acceptable, then prostitution that falls within that range would also be acceptable.
This, obviously enough, raises the question as to whether prostitution can be non-degrading or at least acceptably degrading.

Any other reason associated with morality of rprostitution

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairalanders,lets Discuss The Morality Of Prostitution by CaptainPhilip(m): 6:30pm On Mar 08, 2015
..booked incase.
Re: Nairalanders,lets Discuss The Morality Of Prostitution by kilokeys(m): 6:35pm On Mar 08, 2015
hmm
Re: Nairalanders,lets Discuss The Morality Of Prostitution by Beamborla(f): 6:42pm On Mar 08, 2015
It becomes wrong when we bring religion, custom and tradition into it. Remove those three and it's just like every other profession.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairalanders,lets Discuss The Morality Of Prostitution by akinsadeez(m): 6:46pm On Mar 08, 2015
Guy...... why you like to dey discuss prostitution like this 80% of ur topics na about prostitution. grin grin
Re: Nairalanders,lets Discuss The Morality Of Prostitution by Beamborla(f): 6:49pm On Mar 08, 2015
It becomes wrong when we bring religion, custom and tradition into it. Remove those three and it's just like every other profession.

I don't think it's because it's exploitative, they (the prostitute) tell their customers how much they charge for their service they could chose not to attend to you if they are not okay with you and if they chose not to sell, nobody can force them... no price control whatsoever. All the concern boils down to religion, values and custom
Re: Nairalanders,lets Discuss The Morality Of Prostitution by akinsadeez(m): 7:00pm On Mar 08, 2015
Beamborla:

Hmmmm. So you are saying morally, there is nothing wrong with it. Interesting!
Re: Nairalanders,lets Discuss The Morality Of Prostitution by Beamborla(f): 7:04pm On Mar 08, 2015
akinsadeez:

Let's face it, morality seem to operate on a double standard.

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders,lets Discuss The Morality Of Prostitution by akinsadeez(m): 7:16pm On Mar 08, 2015
Beamborla:

Let's face it, morality seem to operate on a double standard.

Double standard. Very interesting. How exactly?
Re: Nairalanders,lets Discuss The Morality Of Prostitution by Beamborla(f): 8:01pm On Mar 08, 2015
akinsadeez:

Double standard. Very interesting. How exactly?
Nah! I wouldn't do that. Don't want some creatures with myopic view to quote me.

You just look into the society and look into the word MORALITY very well, you might see what I'm talking about.

I'm not encouraging prostitution, I'm just against hypocrisy and double standard.

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders,lets Discuss The Morality Of Prostitution by akinsadeez(m): 8:37pm On Mar 08, 2015
Beamborla:

Nah! I wouldn't do that. Don't want some creatures with myopic view to quote me.

You just look into the society and look into the word MORALITY very well, you might see what I'm talking about.

I'm not encouraging prostitution, I'm just against hypocrisy and double standard.

Hmmmm. I do understand but you should be able to have an intellectual discourse online without necessarily minding the creatures with myopic view. you just ignore whomever you want.

But you know, there is no express delineation of what is moral and what is not. I'm assuming the hypocrisy and double standards you are talking about concerns the men (if I am not mistaken). My point is, the morality of a thing is determined by the expressions of both the men and the women as a whole in the society not just the men alone. if there are double standards then it also has the contribution of the women in it. If you raise the issue of prostitution in a forum today, the women will be the first to condemn the prostitutes without looking deeper into the underlying issues.

However, you still haven't answered my question. if you are not condemning prostitution, are you saying it is morally right?
Re: Nairalanders,lets Discuss The Morality Of Prostitution by mumumugu(m): 1:31pm On Mar 09, 2015
akinsadeez:

morrality is subjective to the immediate environment. A may be morally right for americans and immoral for nigerians e.g homosexuality...
Re: Nairalanders,lets Discuss The Morality Of Prostitution by davien(m): 1:47pm On Mar 09, 2015
Beamborla:
No,emotional,physically,mentally and clinically it's wrong....How?

Well emotional the profession exploits the emotions needed to procreate and turns it into profit....more like a few naira for a few minites of "happy time"..

Physically it isn't appropriate to have relations with different genres of people with different lengths of their members that could lead to an irregular vagin.al shape or even make it lose it's elasticity....plus the necessity to satisfy the fetish of each customer(which may include bruising)

Mentally having relations with different people without the emotional attachments can lead to a life of social and sexual disinterest...

Clinically it paves way for sexually transmitted diseases and could lead to new forms of diseases(in regions that permit the consumption and interaction of our genetic cousins...I.e chimps)

2 Likes

Re: Nairalanders,lets Discuss The Morality Of Prostitution by Nobody: 2:00pm On Mar 09, 2015
Nothing is wrong or right. Life is perspective.
Re: Nairalanders,lets Discuss The Morality Of Prostitution by K9blunt(f): 2:34pm On Mar 09, 2015
Beamborla:
Gbam you just nailed it bab e.REmove religion,traditionand custom and I ts just a profession
Re: Nairalanders,lets Discuss The Morality Of Prostitution by K9blunt(f): 2:36pm On Mar 09, 2015
akinsadeez:

Pardon me sir but yes there is nothing wrong with it
Re: Nairalanders,lets Discuss The Morality Of Prostitution by davien(m): 2:47pm On Mar 09, 2015
sonOfLucifer:
Do people experience joy and/or pain?

would a community progress if the well-being of each and every member was acknowledged?

would a community be better off in wellbeing when people realise that perspectives have consequences and influence others?

And do you as an individual care for your wellbeing?
Re: Nairalanders,lets Discuss The Morality Of Prostitution by Beamborla(f): 6:38pm On Mar 09, 2015
davien:

Well emotional the profession exploits the emotions needed to procreate and turns it into profit....more like a few naira for a few minites of "happy time"..

Physically it isn't appropriate to have relations with different genres of people with different lengths of their members that could lead to an irregular vagin.al shape or even make it lose it's elasticity....plus the necessity to satisfy the fetish of each customer(which may include bruising)

Mentally having relations with different people without the emotional attachments can lead to a life of social and sexual disinterest...

Clinically it paves way for sexually transmitted diseases and could lead to new forms of diseases(in regions that permit the consumption and interaction of our genetic cousins...I.e chimps)
Lol... I dropped the argument already. That does not mean I agree with you.

Mentally: it's a thing of choice. If you can't stand the heat in the kitchen, get the Fu*ck out.

Emotionally: talking about procreation as a means of profit, what of those who donate sperm to earn money and who says the act is for procreation alone?

Physically, I'm not one and I'm sure guys who have been with them wouldn't agree with you about the shape or state of their V

Clinically, we have a whole lot of preventive measures out there... at least, I know of condom.

I'm yet to see that profession that does not affect one physically, mentally, clinically and emotionally. Except you love what you are doing which gives you the strength to keep going despite the odds.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not encouraging prostitution. But don't you think it's better to visit one compared to using an innocent girl for sex under the pretence of love and false promise of marriage.

Prostitution is bad! I agree and wouldn't encourage anyone to go into it.

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders,lets Discuss The Morality Of Prostitution by Beamborla(f): 6:46pm On Mar 09, 2015
akinsadeez:

Hmmmm. I do understand but you should be able to have an intellectual discourse online without necessarily minding the creatures with myopic view. you just ignore whomever you want.

But you know, there is no express delineation of what is moral and what is not. I'm assuming the hypocrisy and double standards you are talking about concerns the men (if I am not mistaken). My point is, the morality of a thing is determined by the expressions of both the men and the women as a whole in the society not just the men alone. if there are double standards then it also has the contribution of the women in it. If you raise the issue of prostitution in a forum today, the women will be the first to condemn the prostitutes without looking deeper into the underlying issues.

However, you still haven't answered my question. if you are not condemning prostitution, are you saying it is morally right?
I was not referring to men. If the society sees nothing wrong in those whose work is to kill those sentenced to death by mortal men when the Bible clearly says thou shall not kill without a BUT in it... of'cos they are helping the society. So are prostitutes if not for them, the amount of rape victims would be more than we have presently. #My opinion#
Re: Nairalanders,lets Discuss The Morality Of Prostitution by davien(m): 8:57pm On Mar 09, 2015
Beamborla:

Lol... I dropped the argument already. That does not mean I agree with you.
I never implied you did

Mentally: it's a thing of choice. If you can't stand the heat in the kitchen, get the Fu*ck out.
True....that still doesn't stop social and sexual disinterest....those are the long term effects of prostitution..

Emotionally: talking about procreation as a means of profit, what of those who donate sperm to earn money and who says the act is for procreation alone?
You're alluding the context, which is two people having se.xual relations to solidify emotional attachments and those that donate sperm render it for money of course, but for the couples involved want the sperm for that emotional attachment(a baby)...

Physically, I'm not one and I'm sure guys who have been with them wouldn't agree with you about the shape or state of their V
It's not a matter of opinion....if you have relations with people that have different members you stand a chance to harm yourself whether through the inability to keep up with the se.xual demand( an example is "bondage" )

Clinically, we have a whole lot of preventive measures out there... at least, I know of condom.

According to Joe S. McIlhaney, Jr., M.D., there is clinical evidence to show that "the same rate of chlamydial infection occurs in those who use condoms and those who do not."

http://www.altheal.org/overview/condoms.htm

I'm yet to see that profession that does not affect one physically, mentally, clinically and emotionally. Except you love what you are doing which gives you the strength to keep going despite the odds.
This isn't merely a "headache at the job" effect but an exploration of the opposite gender and the degradation of their being....

Don't get me wrong, I'm not encouraging prostitution.
I understand
perfectly
But don't you think it's better to visit one compared to using an innocent girl for sex under the pretence of love and false promise of marriage.
True...but that doesn't mean it'll stop anyone from still using an innocent girl...arguably it may even trigger such.

Prostitution is bad! I agree and wouldn't encourage anyone to go into it.
Good for you...
Re: Nairalanders,lets Discuss The Morality Of Prostitution by Pr0ton: 9:04pm On Mar 09, 2015
sonOfLucifer:

LeVeyan or Theistic?
Re: Nairalanders,lets Discuss The Morality Of Prostitution by Nobody: 9:08pm On Mar 09, 2015
Pr0ton:

LeVeyan or Theistic?
I detest labels. I love to make things up as I go. Life is a never ending experience.

In order not to sound snubbish, I'd attempt a direct answer. There is a bit of LeVeyan and Theistic in me. I believe there is a source from which we emanate. I believe we all experience life differently and as such, our opinions and thoughts would always be defined by our experiences.
I detest all forms of thought, religious or irreligious, that cage man's ability to think or claim to have a definite answer to the mystery of life.
Re: Nairalanders,lets Discuss The Morality Of Prostitution by Nobody: 9:19pm On Mar 09, 2015
davien:
Do people experience joy and/or pain?

would a community progress if the well-being of each and every member was acknowledged?

would a community be better off in wellbeing when people realise that perspectives have consequences and influence others?

And do you as an individual care for your wellbeing?
We all experience these feelings differently. I for one derive joy from pain, you could call me sadomasochistic.
Not all societies share the same idea of progress. We are all different. Even within a family, there are differences. There will never be a perfect society. Years of human civilization and the best we can boast of is democracy where the majority determine the fate of the minority.
I care for my wellbeing, and if I so wish, I could extend this to those within my immediate circle like family and friends. Beyond that, it becomes much more difficult especially if we do not share the same ideals.
Re: Nairalanders,lets Discuss The Morality Of Prostitution by Nobody: 9:22pm On Mar 09, 2015
Beamborla:

not just every other profession, It is one of the Oldest known feminine profession in both written and unwritten history of mankind.
Re: Nairalanders,lets Discuss The Morality Of Prostitution by Beamborla(f): 9:26pm On Mar 09, 2015
davien:
I never implied you did

True....that still doesn't stop social and sexual disinterest....those are the long term effects of prostitution..

You're alluding the context, which is two people having se.xual relations to solidify emotional attachments and those that donate sperm render it for money of course, but for the couples involved want the sperm for that emotional attachment(a baby)...
It's not a matter of opinion....if you have relations with people that have different members you stand a chance to harm yourself whether through the inability to keep up with the se.xual demand( an example is "bondage" )

According to Joe S. McIlhaney, Jr., M.D., there is clinical evidence to show that "the same rate of chlamydial infection occurs in those who use condoms and those who do not."

http://www.altheal.org/overview/condoms.htm

This isn't merely a "headache at the job" effect but an exploration of the opposite gender and the degradation of their being....

I understand
perfectly
True...but that doesn't mean it'll stop anyone from still using an innocent girl...arguably it may even trigger such.
Good for you...
Alright! Weldon.
Re: Nairalanders,lets Discuss The Morality Of Prostitution by davien(m): 10:05pm On Mar 09, 2015
sonOfLucifer:

We all experience these feelings differently. I for one derive joy from pain, you could call me sadomasochistic.
okay...now we've established those emotions and that joy is preferable....now who's harm do you find joy in?

Not all societies share the same idea of progress.
In terms of wellbeing there's only one, care to differ?

We are all different. Even within a family, there are differences.
True, there are still similarities derived from them in everyway...
There will never be a perfect society.
Hold it hotshot nobody said "perfect soceity", stop the strawman
Years of human civilization and the best we can boast of is democracy where the majority determine the fate of the minority.
If that is what you think democracy is then you're poorly misinformed..

I care for my wellbeing, and if I so wish, I could extend this to those within my immediate circle like family and friends. Beyond that, it becomes much more difficult especially if we do not share the same ideals.

Exactly,so you care for your wellbeing and have arrived at the notion that for you to coexist with others....you need to either extend it or think of the effects your actions have on others and what would happen if everyone adopted such a pattern... smiley
That is the path....an evaluation of concrete things that affect us and the motivation..
Re: Nairalanders,lets Discuss The Morality Of Prostitution by Nobody: 10:19pm On Mar 09, 2015
davien:

Prostitution has little to do with either emotions or procreation, it's almost purely sexual and sex isn't primarily for procreation.

Physically it isn't appropriate to have relations with different genres of people with different lengths of their members that could lead to an irregular vagin.al shape or even make it lose it's elasticity....plus the necessity to satisfy the fetish of each customer(which may include bruising

I agree the relationships and the 'profession' as a whole isn't healthy but I think adults should be able to control their health. Promiscuity isn't exclusive to prostitution. Alcohol and smoking aren't healthy but still legal(for adults). Some people enjoy BD SM, the prostitute can get to choose if it's her 'thing'.

Exactly, there aren't any emotional attachments. People can get socially/sexually inept for various other reasons.

While I agree that it's unsafe/unhealthy, legalizing and controlling prostitution could reduce the spread of STIs, rape, child trafficking/exploitation. And did you imply beastiality?

I don't feel like prostitution is moral(morality has an ambiguous definition) but at the same time can't objectively point out what's wrong with it if controlled. Whether legal or not, people will still engage in it so on that ground, I think the prior is better.
Re: Nairalanders,lets Discuss The Morality Of Prostitution by davien(m): 10:51pm On Mar 09, 2015
DProDG:

Prostitution has little to do with either emotions or procreation, it's almost purely sexual and sex isn't primarily for procreation.
I'm not saying it's for procreation,I'm saying that what is normally fine for procreation is now done for a few bucks...a couple more and you can go an.al,money spent for the use of a fellow human being....anyway sexually permitted..

I agree the relationships and the 'profession' as a whole isn't healthy but I think adults should be able to control their health.
Good, so isn't the profession already very hazardous to health?

Promiscuity isn't exclusive to prostitution. Alcohol and smoking aren't healthy but still legal(for adults). Some people enjoy BD SM, the prostitute can get to choose if it's her 'thing'.
I'm talking of social and sexual disinterest, not promiscuity(although it can also arguably lead to it)...and smoking reduces bronchioles elasticity....causing shortness of breathe,emphysema,cancer, etc are the effects of smoking...

Exactly, there aren't any emotional attachments. People can get socially/sexually inept for various other reasons.
And that is the point leading to disinterest.....once you just get in like it's a public toilet then how'd you view the opposite sex(especially when you decide to get married)

While I agree that it's unsafe/unhealthy, legalizing and controlling prostitution could reduce the spread of STIs, rape, child trafficking/exploitation. And did you imply beastiality?
True and I did mean beastiality.....though I'm not implying prostitution leads to bestiality...only that one could also be a prostitute to client pets' who'd pay good money for you to satisfy their pets...

I don't feel like prostitution is moral(morality has an ambiguous definition) but at the same time can't objectively point out what's wrong with it if controlled. Whether legal or not, people will still engage in it so on that ground, I think the prior is better.
Undoubtedly I still see it as comparable to slavery....inwhich people regard their bodies as commodities....I prefer it being "controlled" but then the issue becomes how does one "control" prostitution well enough to lower std's?...
Re: Nairalanders,lets Discuss The Morality Of Prostitution by Nobody: 11:39pm On Mar 09, 2015
davien:
I'm not saying it's for procreation,I'm saying that what is normally fine for procreation is now done for a few bucks...a couple more and you can go an.al,money spent for the use of a fellow human being....anyway sexually permitted..
I won't consider having sex with a consenting adult "use of a fellow human being". The only difference between it and a one night stand is the exchange of cash.

Good, so isn't the profession already very hazardous to health?
Health hazards say nothing in regards to morality. There are a lot of other jobs with much higher risks(not necessarily health related).

I'm talking of social and sexual disinterest, not promiscuity(although it can also arguably lead to it)...and smoking reduces bronchioles elasticity....causing shortness of breathe,emphysema,cancer, etc are the effects of smoking...
I know the effects of smoking. What I meant by bringing it up is that it's an even more unhealthy lifestyle. Many more people die from smoking than from STDs(in developed countries).

And that is the point leading to disinterest.....once you just get in like it's a public toilet then how'd you view the opposite sex(especially when you decide to get married)
I agree on this as a disadvantage, but it still doesn't have any bearing on morality.

True and I did mean beastiality.....though I'm not implying prostitution leads to bestiality...only that one could also be a prostitute to client pets' who'd pay good money for you to satisfy their pets...
I've never heard of such a case but having sex with animals, whether a prostitute or not falls under a case of beastiality which is by all means immoral. Also, I assume prostitutes are above the legal age of consent and can make decisions concerning who/what to sleep with.

Undoubtedly I still see it as comparable to slavery....inwhich people regard their bodies as commodities....I prefer it being "controlled" but then the issue becomes how does one "control" prostitution well enough to lower std's?...
Sexual exploitation and child trafficking is distinctly different from the 'professional' prostitution I'm referring to. Yes, I do consider it degrading but it's handled more like a social business(brothels) in countries were it's legal. Measures like ensuring the use of condoms and encouraging workers to undergo medical check ups help in controlling STDs.

My take is more of advantages vs disadvantages rather than whether it's right or wrong. I naturally consider bad sexual habits in general as immoral(because reasons).
Re: Nairalanders,lets Discuss The Morality Of Prostitution by Pr0ton: 7:56am On Mar 10, 2015
sonOfLucifer:

I detest labels. I love to make things up as I go. Life is a never ending experience.

In order not to sound snubbish, I'd attempt a direct answer. There is a bit of LeVeyan and Theistic in me. I believe there is a source from which we emanate. I believe we all experience life differently and as such, our opinions and thoughts would always be defined by our experiences.
I detest all forms of thought, religious or irreligious, that cage man's ability to think or claim to have a definite answer to the mystery of life.

Killing a fellow in an open territory for refusing to not "disturb" you after warning is man's-ability-to-think out of cage?
Re: Nairalanders,lets Discuss The Morality Of Prostitution by Nobody: 6:04am On Mar 17, 2015
Pr0ton:

Killing a fellow in an open territory for refusing to not "disturb" you after warning is man's-ability-to-think out of cage?
Re: Nairalanders,lets Discuss The Morality Of Prostitution by Pr0ton: 7:12am On Mar 17, 2015
sonOfLucifer:

Eleven Satanic Rules of the Earth, remember?

(1) (2) (Reply)

BEWARE OF THE RISING CULT OF END TIMES CHURCHIANITY / I Had A Dream That I Died. Are You Having Similar Dreams? Here! / BIBLE Truths:what You Should Know About The Souls In Purgatory

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.