Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,148 members, 7,811,270 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:55 AM

I Am Dying, They Are Tweeting by 'Sola Fagorusi - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / I Am Dying, They Are Tweeting by 'Sola Fagorusi (21595 Views)

Help Me Pls......i Am Dying Via Occutic Powers / Sola And The Teacher: Short Story / I Am Dying Inside Me.please Assist Me. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Am Dying, They Are Tweeting by 'Sola Fagorusi by tolu4you: 6:38am On Mar 10, 2015
We are all guilty of the bad habit

I had just checked my wristwatch before it happened. It was five minutes past noon. We had just gone past a checkpoint and the road seemed all clear before us. The driver expectedly changed gear, and put his foot on the accelerator to increase speed. About four kilometres afterwards, the story changed. Our vehicle rammed into another vehicle that erroneously chose to make a reverse on a Trunk A road thinking he was all alone on the bend.

The impact was loud. I passed out and regained consciousness to find my limbs numb. Just as I managed to look around, there was already a crowd. I noticed three of my co-travellers were lifeless. I was told later that I was lucky to be alive as others died immediately from shock and huge loss of blood. I however noticed a number of people encircling me had their phones in their hands. I was shortly glad they were trying to call for help. I saw a flash briefly and it occurred to me they were either taking pictures or shooting videos while I laid there helpless.

They are the new journalists of the new age. I fainted. By the time I woke up, I saw the white ceiling and felt partly relieved that help finally came. I was later informed that another vehicle that went past the scene contacted the Federal Road Safety Corps personnel some metres ahead of us that an accident had happened. I was still in excruciating pain; I was moderately conscious but could not speak. It was not long before I saw about four nurses enter the room I had been kept. They looked at me and shook their heads in pity. Again, I saw two of them bring out their phones to snap me while I heard another requesting one of them to send the image to her on Whatsapp. I felt scandalised. I felt humiliated and used.

It is the curse of the new age. It is the age when people will rather pull out their cell phone and snap pictures or record videos instead of offering help to a victim(s) of an unfortunate happening or call those who can provide help.

There is that fresh need to discuss our humanity in view of new media tools and technologies that we now own. In 1993, the New York Times published a picture of a Sudanese child who was trying to make her way to the refugee camp hoping to get food and water. While at the difficult task given her malnourished state, a vulture was preying already; waiting for the starving kid to die and have its own meal.

Kevin Carter took the picture; it became famous. He was criticised by several people who wanted to know if and why he did not help the child. Given the graphic genius of the picture, Carter received the Pulitzer award in 1994, but he committed suicide the same year, leaving speculations as to why he took his life. The debate of the appropriateness of Carter’s picture has lingered since 1993 wrapped around self versus others debate. The disputation is fresher given the new media generation who are readily empowered with tools to take such pictures and even have them in motion picture form. There is the growing fear that despite how connected we are, there still exist disconnections among us. The huge access to social network points and the population this generation has on it should become an asset but it does not seem so on all fronts.

This is where bloggers and social media influencers can play a role. It is time to control narcissistic cravings. It is time to think of the others first. Now is the time to arrest the self-obsession many young people of this generation have and replace such with community love, empathy and ability to be there for others. Injustice to one must become injustice to all.

A good starting point will be to police one another, provide the check and balance for usage of new media tools in our digital ecosystem.

The target of every tweet or update in times of emergency care need should first be how it can help the victim(s) and not how to garner more followers, get more likes, or more annoyingly be the first to break sad news. There is the need to empower young people of this generation to see beyond themselves.

Our infrastructural problems and institutional setbacks make care for one another even more significant. Our bad roads, our ill-equipped hospitals and several other malaises that regular assault us make living a tough business. The advantage of social media technology enabling quicker response and capacity to call out public officials should be with all the momentousness it deserves, especially in a life and death situation.

This should be our unwritten code of conduct when using social media and all the adjoining tools. It would make for proper care if we all carry numbers needed in cases of emergencies on our phones, gadgets and even post the same for others to see and use on our status updates, blogs and other online avenues.

The official lines of the FRSC, Nigeria Police Force, Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, State Ambulance Services, National Emergence Management Agency, Federal Fire Service, Nigerian Army and other Joint Task Forces should be handy for us all. After all, our intervention may be all that is necessary to save a life or keep another citizen alive.

Note: The National Orientation Agency alongside the Nigeria Stability and Reconciliation Programme of the British Council organised the event. The highlight in the introductory story; a true account, was recounted and shared by a participant at the workshop.
'Sola Fagorusi is a blogger.

Source: http://www.punchng.com/i-punch/i-am-dying-they-are-tweeting/

171 Likes 33 Shares

Re: I Am Dying, They Are Tweeting by 'Sola Fagorusi by hatux: 7:35am On Mar 10, 2015
A million likes for the Op post...

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Dying, They Are Tweeting by 'Sola Fagorusi by abrahym(m): 7:39am On Mar 10, 2015
Very interesting but wrong section
Re: I Am Dying, They Are Tweeting by 'Sola Fagorusi by aminho(m): 8:32am On Mar 10, 2015
Atleast something new

1 Like

Re: I Am Dying, They Are Tweeting by 'Sola Fagorusi by dew1: 8:58am On Mar 10, 2015
*Observing...
Re: I Am Dying, They Are Tweeting by 'Sola Fagorusi by Warlord3000(m): 9:07am On Mar 10, 2015
Wow... Am not sitting for an exam..

But read that from A to Z without hurrying to be be FTC unlike wink tongue

But on a serious note... It really sucks...

Everyone being a "blogger" trying to break the news first instead of activating the human instinct of giving a helping hand first..

May God help this generation and the ones to come after {cos I can't imagine how it will look like then}

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Dying, They Are Tweeting by 'Sola Fagorusi by khassy(m): 9:18am On Mar 10, 2015
this thing fit reach FP oooo

just incase

but op get point oooo

BBM tins

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Am Dying, They Are Tweeting by 'Sola Fagorusi by tolu4you: 9:44am On Mar 10, 2015
abrahym:
Very interesting but wrong section
which section then?
If you are guilty of this habit,click like, if you not click share

Kevin Carter's pic

5 Likes 7 Shares

Re: I Am Dying, They Are Tweeting by 'Sola Fagorusi by Nobody: 10:19am On Mar 10, 2015
After reading, my reaction was; WOW!
Nice piece

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Dying, They Are Tweeting by 'Sola Fagorusi by kheart(m): 10:29am On Mar 10, 2015
Booked
Re: I Am Dying, They Are Tweeting by 'Sola Fagorusi by Nobody: 10:29am On Mar 10, 2015
so sad. may God change our hearts.

1 Like

Re: I Am Dying, They Are Tweeting by 'Sola Fagorusi by DollyParton1(f): 10:44am On Mar 10, 2015
The original writer of this article does not know how much money he is sitting on.
A nurse taking your pictures without your permission should not be taken lightly.

4 Likes

Re: I Am Dying, They Are Tweeting by 'Sola Fagorusi by emalek86(m): 10:53am On Mar 10, 2015
Buhari want to be your friend on face book
A. CONFIRM
B. DELETE
C. BLOCK
D. DECLINE
E. NOT NOW
F. GODFORBID
Re: I Am Dying, They Are Tweeting by 'Sola Fagorusi by Nobody: 11:11am On Mar 10, 2015
Lol... This post reminds me of Boondocks when ganstalious was shot on stage. What do u expect from a society that has lost morals. We are now in a time were people watch your back just for the singular opportunity to stab you... How sad!

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am Dying, They Are Tweeting by 'Sola Fagorusi by Oyetboy(m): 11:12am On Mar 10, 2015
.....let me read first
Re: I Am Dying, They Are Tweeting by 'Sola Fagorusi by geepijay(m): 11:19am On Mar 10, 2015
May God protect us all... The Kevin guy can take the picture and help the kid as well... he obviously didn't help the kid and the critics that followed made him kill himself... The pics created a lot of awareness tho, it will open ppls eyes as to what some people are facing. Many will look at pics and, deeply moved by pity, will lend a helping hand to those who need it...
But he could have helped, if only he did!

3 Likes

Re: I Am Dying, They Are Tweeting by 'Sola Fagorusi by Emmysteve(m): 11:25am On Mar 10, 2015
I dey come abeg
Re: I Am Dying, They Are Tweeting by 'Sola Fagorusi by Nobody: 11:46am On Mar 10, 2015
Everybody wants to be a journalist these days. Please many likes, comments or whatever on a post does it give any euphoria or why are people crazy about such?
Re: I Am Dying, They Are Tweeting by 'Sola Fagorusi by olahero(m): 11:56am On Mar 10, 2015
if I were u, I go slap one of them.
Re: I Am Dying, They Are Tweeting by 'Sola Fagorusi by Herrmes: 12:14pm On Mar 10, 2015
I think you expected too much of people, you even expected something.
Re: I Am Dying, They Are Tweeting by 'Sola Fagorusi by emmyw(m): 12:21pm On Mar 10, 2015
Uh
Re: I Am Dying, They Are Tweeting by 'Sola Fagorusi by 400billionman: 12:24pm On Mar 10, 2015
This is wat happens when illiteracy meets technology.

Nigerians are phone crazy. People are dying and need help, they are busy snapping photos. Very ridiculous. A lot of lives get saved under accident conditions in advanced countries because of timely first aid intervention..

2 Likes

Re: I Am Dying, They Are Tweeting by 'Sola Fagorusi by Folksyharry(m): 12:37pm On Mar 10, 2015
the recommendations the OP gave should not be ignored. We need to look out for one another more. I was taught what to do when a crash occur in FRSC CDS group so I know calling for help is the first way you can help a crash victim and not taking pictures.

1 Like

Re: I Am Dying, They Are Tweeting by 'Sola Fagorusi by 400billionman: 12:38pm On Mar 10, 2015
smoothsk:
Everybody wants to be a journalist these days. Please many likes, comments or whatever on a post does it give any euphoria or why are people crazy about such?

The same evil propensity is evident here on nairaland where everyone wants to be first to comment or have a front page thread.

The reward being a faster flush of adrenaline to ones brain under 10 seconds.

Our youths should place their priorities right as we have so much to achieve for ourselves and society at large rather than drawing attention for just one minute with nothing concrete showing for it.

This thread requires more visibility. MODS, move to appropriate section, maybe health, family or even politics.

8 Likes

Re: I Am Dying, They Are Tweeting by 'Sola Fagorusi by Kidaakudz: 1:07pm On Mar 10, 2015
Re: I Am Dying, They Are Tweeting by 'Sola Fagorusi by Pinkiedearie(f): 2:04pm On Mar 10, 2015
Op..this is very true..thumbs up!..these are the kinda topics we need here not tonto this and that

1 Like

Re: I Am Dying, They Are Tweeting by 'Sola Fagorusi by Big4wig(m): 3:49pm On Mar 10, 2015
cheesy
Re: I Am Dying, They Are Tweeting by 'Sola Fagorusi by jeeqaa7(m): 3:49pm On Mar 10, 2015
Eyah sorry eh
Re: I Am Dying, They Are Tweeting by 'Sola Fagorusi by Nobody: 3:49pm On Mar 10, 2015
undecided
Re: I Am Dying, They Are Tweeting by 'Sola Fagorusi by ShakurM(m): 3:50pm On Mar 10, 2015
Pause

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Soldiers Nab Fulani Herdsmen Robbing On Lagos-ibadan Expressway / The Worst Rumour About Yourself / How Much Do You Spend On Feeding Daily

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.