Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,712 members, 7,816,924 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:18 PM

2008 Camry: My Car Is Jerking On Idle! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 2008 Camry: My Car Is Jerking On Idle! (3582 Views)

What You Should Do If You Suspect A Car Is Following You / My Car Is Stalling And Jerking When On Motion. / Urgent Help Needed My Car Is Missing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2008 Camry: My Car Is Jerking On Idle! by bimbor(m): 5:44pm On Mar 10, 2015
Hello Everyone,

Please I need expert opinions here.....just this afternoon I noticed while I was in traffic that my car just suddenly started jerking at random.....It was as if the Engine will shut off but it didn't......This happens whenever the rpm goes down to like 500rpm. The car will just shake as if the engine will go off and will be vibrating and stuttering intermittently. I don't know if I've tried enough to describe the problem but I'm sure you all can get an idea of exactly what the problem is.

I'm just confused on what could be causing this. I need all the expert opinions I can possibly get please.

The only time the car will stop jerking is when I put the gear in "Park".
Re: 2008 Camry: My Car Is Jerking On Idle! by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:19pm On Mar 10, 2015
Scan. You have a misfire.
Re: 2008 Camry: My Car Is Jerking On Idle! by DECOtech(m): 7:39pm On Mar 10, 2015
bimbor:
I'm just confused on what could be causing this. I need all the expert opinions I can possibly get please.

The only time the car will stop jerking is when I put the gear in "Park".

Hello Bimbor,

From what you have explained, I understand that your car begins to idle erratically when loaded (D or R gear engaged).

Ask your mechanic to check your air-filter, it might be clogged. it could even be a dirty throttle body.

The next suspect is your ignition system (spark plugs, coil assembly). Then, your fuel system. for these, you need to have your car scanned to get the exact culprit.

Fear not,
Re: 2008 Camry: My Car Is Jerking On Idle! by bimbor(m): 8:08pm On Mar 10, 2015
Thanks guys for your swift responses;

I just did a full Auto scan now and what I got baffled me, I'm afraid Gazzuzz was right!!

Please find details below:

P0304 - Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected

P2401 - Evaporative Emmission System Leak Detect Pump Control Circuit Low

P2402 - Evaporative Emmission System Leak Detect Pump Control Circuit High

P2419 - Evaporative Emmission System Switching Valve Control Circuit Low

So what do I do now? Is it possible for a new model car like a 2008 car to be having such issues like this?

What is my next advised line of actions please?

Re: 2008 Camry: My Car Is Jerking On Idle! by bimbor(m): 8:13pm On Mar 10, 2015
DECOtech:

Hello Bimbor,

From what you have explained, I understand that your car begins to idle erratically when loaded (D or R gear engaged).

Ask your mechanic to check your air-filter, it might be clogged. it could even be a dirty throttle body.

The next suspect is your ignition system (spark plugs, coil assembly). Then, your fuel system. for these, you need to have your car scanned to get the exact culprit.

Fear not,

Thanks bros for your reassurance, but I'm strongly suspecting that throttle body beacuse this is the second time I'm experiencing something of this nature. I hope this will not affect my car engine!!!
Re: 2008 Camry: My Car Is Jerking On Idle! by mayor2013: 9:28pm On Mar 10, 2015
Is this car a 6 cylinder or 4. I would advice you start from the simplest of area I.e check
your spark plug and the ignition coil on the 4thcylinder. If all fine proceed to the other solutions suggeted above
Re: 2008 Camry: My Car Is Jerking On Idle! by bimbor(m): 9:42pm On Mar 10, 2015
mayor2013:
Is this car a 6 cylinder or 4. I would advice you start from the simplest of area I.e check
your spark plug and the ignition coil on the 4thcylinder. If all fine proceed to the other solutions suggeted above

4 cylinder sir.
Re: 2008 Camry: My Car Is Jerking On Idle! by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:25pm On Mar 10, 2015
bimbor:
Thanks guys for your swift responses;

I just did a full Auto scan now and what I got baffled me, I'm afraid Gazzuzz was right!!

Please find details below:

P0304 - Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected

P2401 - Evaporative Emmission System Leak Detect Pump Control Circuit Low

P2402 - Evaporative Emmission System Leak Detect Pump Control Circuit High

P2419 - Evaporative Emmission System Switching Valve Control Circuit Low

So what do I do now? Is it possible for a new model car like a 2008 car to be having such issues like this?

What is my next advised line of actions please?

Pump that creates negetive vaccum in tank seems to be faulty.

Work on the misfire first(spark plug, injectors, coils)
Re: 2008 Camry: My Car Is Jerking On Idle! by DECOtech(m): 10:48pm On Mar 10, 2015
bimbor:

Thanks bros for your reassurance, but I'm strongly suspecting that throttle body because this is the second time I'm experiencing something of this nature. I hope this will not affect my car engine!!!

It would not affect your engine if you act fast.

Since you have scanned your car, I can see all the codes but I would advice you first fix the misfire cos sometimes one code could be the reason for some other codes.

So, ask your mech to check to see if you need a plug change or a coil change (it could be something more though) so he should be capable of carrying out proper trouble shooting to know what to do to fix your car.

Cheers.
Re: 2008 Camry: My Car Is Jerking On Idle! by bimbor(m): 12:15am On Mar 11, 2015
DECOtech:

It would not affect your engine if you act fast.

Since you have scanned your car, I can see all the codes but I would advice you first fix the misfire cos sometimes one code could be the reason for some other codes.

So, ask your mech to check to see if you need a plug change or a coil change (it could be something more though) so he should be capable of carrying out proper trouble shooting to know what to do to fix your car.

Cheers.

The other codes were there before now because I scanned the car last month when I saw the Check Engine Light and I saw those other codes "P24xx" but because I did not observe any mechanical changes in the car I did not particularly take any step. So yesterday afternoon when I noticed that the car was stuttering I had to perform another scan and that was when the new fault code propped up "P0304".

The problem now is that I don't really trust some of these mechanics.
Re: 2008 Camry: My Car Is Jerking On Idle! by bimbor(m): 12:16am On Mar 11, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Pump that creates negetive vaccum in tank seems to be faulty.

Work on the misfire first(spark plug, injectors, coils)

@Gazzuzz I can see your signature, please how can I access your services?
Re: 2008 Camry: My Car Is Jerking On Idle! by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:21am On Mar 11, 2015
bimbor:

@Gazzuzz I can see your signature, please how can I access your services?
call
Re: 2008 Camry: My Car Is Jerking On Idle! by bimbor(m): 12:42am On Mar 11, 2015
GAZZUZZ:
call

Your location sir, please
Re: 2008 Camry: My Car Is Jerking On Idle! by talk2odim: 5:23am On Mar 11, 2015
bimbor:

The other codes were there before now because I scanned the car last month when I saw the Check Engine Light and I saw those other codes "P24xx" but because I did not observe any mechanical changes in the car I did not particularly take any step. So yesterday afternoon when I noticed that the car was stuttering I had to perform another scan and that was when the new fault code propped up "P0304". The

The other codes are related to ur emission system...this usually occurs when the fuel tank cover is bad, or not turned till the click is heard when closing it, it could also be as a result of filling ur fuel tank to the brim. They usually don't affect the functionality of the car but just that it won't pass an emssion test. I suggest u pay more attention to the misfire....
Re: 2008 Camry: My Car Is Jerking On Idle! by chukel(m): 6:10am On Mar 11, 2015
Chai. See as bimbor de fret over misfire code. Gazzuz please help him out. If at the end of the day the misfire is as a result of bad coil, please change all four so don't have this stress again.
Re: 2008 Camry: My Car Is Jerking On Idle! by bimbor(m): 6:25am On Mar 11, 2015
chukel:
Chai. See as bimbor de fret over misfire code. Gazzuz please help him out. If at the end of the day the misfire is as a result of bad coil, please change all four so don't have this stress again.

Lol.....@Chukel I'm a stark illiterate when it comes to car engineering oh! cheesy

And I no like to dey see that "Check Engine" light for my dash at all!
Re: 2008 Camry: My Car Is Jerking On Idle! by DECOtech(m): 8:19am On Mar 11, 2015
bimbor:

The other codes were there before now because I scanned the car last month when I saw the Check Engine Light and I saw those other codes "P24xx" but because I did not observe any mechanical changes in the car I did not particularly take any step. So yesterday afternoon when I noticed that the car was stuttering I had to perform another scan and that was when the new fault code propped up "P0304".

That's ok. but as a matter of priority in this very situation, the misfire would first be taken care of cos your engine has to run fine for the tech to be able to investigate the other codes.

So, if you want the services of an enlightened technician, you can call this number 08030938491 if you are in Lagos. He can come to you if you like.

Cheers!
Re: 2008 Camry: My Car Is Jerking On Idle! by omicron(m): 10:54am On Mar 11, 2015
Bimbor change your spark plugs first and inspect the spark plug wires, as they are common causes of cylinder misfire. Then you can proceed to the other issues.
Re: 2008 Camry: My Car Is Jerking On Idle! by bimbor(m): 11:23am On Mar 11, 2015
omicron:
Bimbor change your spark plugs first and inspect the spark plug wires, as they are common causes of cylinder misfire. Then you can proceed to the other issues.

The mechanics don't understand the other fault codes,I guess those ones can only be deciphered by the real Auto engineers!

1 Like

Re: 2008 Camry: My Car Is Jerking On Idle! by talk2odim: 1:06pm On Mar 11, 2015
bimbor:

The mechanics don't understand the other fault codes,I guess those ones can only be deciphered by the real Auto engineers!
I already told you what they are....

(1) (Reply)

Retiring My Silver 03 Civic / Rainy Season: My Do’s And Don’ts For Motorists And Passengers / Finally Let Go Of My 2003 Accord!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.