Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,086 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:16 AM

Soyinka Accuses Presidency Of Using Vulgar Language At Campaigns - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soyinka Accuses Presidency Of Using Vulgar Language At Campaigns (20321 Views)

Presidency Of Nigeria Belongs To The North Whether Buhari Lives Or Dies / Missing Budget: Drama As Senate Accuses Presidency Of Tampering With 2016 Budget / Exposed -PDP At Campaigns INEC At Elections In Rivers States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Soyinka Accuses Presidency Of Using Vulgar Language At Campaigns by Nobody: 6:36am On Mar 11, 2015
Yea right! The rate of un-professionalism in our government is really mind-agitating.
Re: Soyinka Accuses Presidency Of Using Vulgar Language At Campaigns by Jogba(m): 6:36am On Mar 11, 2015
grin At last he has started faulting TAN Bleep ups
Re: Soyinka Accuses Presidency Of Using Vulgar Language At Campaigns by Nobody: 6:37am On Mar 11, 2015
I just can't stop loving this man despite being controversialgrin

Lmao @invoking all the gods to come correct Cole.
Re: Soyinka Accuses Presidency Of Using Vulgar Language At Campaigns by princeonx: 6:39am On Mar 11, 2015
bushdoc9919:

Soyinka has not been very complimentary about the opposition too....he also does not like Buhari.
Why would he!

Two useless knives at home!

The sharp one has no handle!
The one with handle is not sharp!

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Accuses Presidency Of Using Vulgar Language At Campaigns by Nobody: 6:40am On Mar 11, 2015
princeonx:

Why would he!

Two useless knives at home!

The sharp one has no handle!
The one with handle is not sharp!

No....just a desire to say what is right.

Simples.
Re: Soyinka Accuses Presidency Of Using Vulgar Language At Campaigns by Nobody: 6:41am On Mar 11, 2015
Grammar does not persuade the electorates during campaign. You can just show up to a rally, not say a freaking word and share millions of naira or plates of cooked jollof rice and fried chicken and you'll defeat Mr. Obahiagbon, if he was your opponent.

Most Nigerians of voting age do not presently understand why elections are held or even why debates should be held before elections. Heck, I've listen to supporters of both GMB and GEJ explain with any sound justification why they think either candidate is better. They'll just tell you that GEJ is our brother, we want make him siddon there or that we Don tire for GEJ, make we try GMB if he no impress us, we go comot am for next election.

I think we deserve the kind of leaders and governance that we get until we take drastic and urgent steps to educate people on why governance is serious business.

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka Accuses Presidency Of Using Vulgar Language At Campaigns by raumdeuter: 6:43am On Mar 11, 2015
When a man is clueless, nothing is beyond him

Jonathan is clueless so that type of senseless rant is what you expect

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka Accuses Presidency Of Using Vulgar Language At Campaigns by free2ryhme: 6:49am On Mar 11, 2015
undecided undecided
Re: Soyinka Accuses Presidency Of Using Vulgar Language At Campaigns by felifeli: 6:50am On Mar 11, 2015
argon500:
Nobel laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka has condemned what he described as crudity and vulgar abuse of language that has dominated the electioneering campaigns in the country and blamed the presidency as the major culprit.

Professor Soyinka, who spoke yesterday in Lagos at the public presentation of a book titled “Modern and Tradition Elite in the Politics of Lagos” written by Ambassador Patrick Dele Cole also dismissed former President Olusegun Obasanjo’s book, “My Watch”, as “three tonnes of doctored and self-serving narratives”, concluding that, “a little learning is a dangerous thing.”
According to Professor Soyinka, what the current political actors have done is to take Nigeria to “hitherto imaginable low in the art of public persuasion which – we have a right to imagine – forms the foundation of political life.”
He said never before had Nigerians been so subjected to what he called “sheer venom, crudity and vulgar abuse of language in such prodigal quantities as in this current political exercise”, and accused the Presidency of being “at the centre of this uncultured art of political persuasion”.
His words: “All of us here have passed through the electoral process furnace before now and I suspect we would mostly agree that never before have we been subjected to this level of sheer venom, crudity of and vulgar abuse of language in such prodigal quantities as in this current political exercise.
“The very gift of communication, considered the distinguishing mark of cultured humanity even in polemical situations, has been debased, affecting even thought processes, I often suspect. Speaking as objectively as is possible in such circumstances, I would say that, among the various camps, the most reckless and indecorous has sadly proved the incumbency camp, where restraint has been thrown to the wind with such abandon that even highly privileged spouses have publicly urged supporters to stone any voices raised in opposition to their cause.”
Criticising Chief Obasanjo’s book, “My Watch” he descred it as “three tonnes of doctored and self-serving narratives”.
He, therefore, tasked Dr Dele Cole, who was a former adviser to the former president, to give Obasanjo tutorial on how to write history.
Soyinka further asked Cole to investigate alleged allegations that the Presidency was training some 1000 snipers and write about it. He argued that there were more political murders during the former president’s reign than at any other time, noting that even during Gen. Sani Abacha’s time, he could not boast of 1000 snipers at his disposal.
Soyinka also cautioned Cole for denigrating African religions by calling the practitioners as ‘pagan’ in his book and warned, “any more of that condescending stuff and I shall invoke Ogun, Sango and other Yoruba deities to pay you a re-educational visit and then you‘ll see whether your Christian eponymous patron saint, Saint Patrick, can save you from their corrective can for your profanity.”
Chairman, Editorial Board of The Guardian, Prof. Wale Omole praised Prof. Soyinka for doing a “content-analysis of the book” through the review while asking other book reviewers to take a cue from that formula.
In his review titled “Learning From Yesterday”, Professor Soyinka commended the author, for his efforts which made it possible to “weed out the pretenders in our own time and evaluate the contributions of genuine leaders to the very formulation of both our collective and individual identities such as Herbert Macaulay and Henry Carr, who are captured in Cole’s book.
“Perhaps, the most memorable personae in this work, for instance, are two pivotal figures in the Nigerian nationalist struggle, even though convergence from two contrasting personalities and ideological tendencies, and who emerge as crucial protagonists and luminaries of this history in the making.
It is impossible to think of either without invoking possibilities of what other directions a colonial Nigeria could have taken without the emergence of one or both – I refer here to the flamboyant and tempestuous Herbert Macaulay, and the more reserved, erudite and conservative Henry Carr – rivals, yet collaborators”, he said
The author, in his remarks said, “I have pretensions of being an academic at some point and I was teaching. The book that you have in front of you is, in actual fact, my thesis for my Ph.D in the University of Cambridge. I wrote it in 1974. The thesis itself was presented in 1969. But as Prof. Soyinka has pointed out, nothing much has changed. The only thing that has changed is my singular failure to be able to educate some Egba people on how to write properly.
”And the coming together of the three main classes i.e. the tradition, the then elite, and the educated others… these three groups came together to insist that even the British subject should be treated accordingly. I am glad that Prof. Soyinka had pointed out the highlights. The judiciary had been messing up, and they would continue to do so unless there is change. I will urge you to read the book. Though it is an academic work, but there are quite some interesting moments.

Source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/03/soyinka-accuses-presidency-of-using-vulgar-language-at-campaigns/#sthash.4qPEoFfl.6gzJo3UL.dpuf - See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/03/soyinka-accuses-presidency-of-using-vulgar-language-at-campaigns/#sthash.4qPEoFfl.6gzJo3UL.dpuf

What about Clueless
What about Nebuchasnezzar
What about Shepopotamus
What about.....
All those are not vulgar words abi?

This Soyinka has become clueless. He should be in old people's home

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka Accuses Presidency Of Using Vulgar Language At Campaigns by seunlayi(m): 6:54am On Mar 11, 2015
Soyinka is a critic, he stopped performing when he was awarded the Nobel prize. he will die as a critic not as a performer

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka Accuses Presidency Of Using Vulgar Language At Campaigns by ElFenomeno1: 6:56am On Mar 11, 2015
isrecole:
Prof. Soyinka has lost steam because he is on the Payroll of opposition. Let the old man speak up on the Documentary which reveals can of worms on Tinubu. Proffessor Soyinka please talk on The revealing documentary!!!!!!!
payroll of the opposition?
Do you have any evidence to buttress your claim?
If you can't provide any evidence here within 24 hours, your parents are fuc king bas...tards and you are a flipping oxymoron with no iota of shame
Re: Soyinka Accuses Presidency Of Using Vulgar Language At Campaigns by anitank(f): 6:57am On Mar 11, 2015
I'm sure this is particularly directed at especially Patience Jonathan and that tout of a governor. But they have no idea that the more they act like road side agberos, the more voted they lose
Re: Soyinka Accuses Presidency Of Using Vulgar Language At Campaigns by DesChyko: 6:58am On Mar 11, 2015
Well, how many of you tried to get his quotes?
I don't mean the media stories, I meant his quotes.
Re: Soyinka Accuses Presidency Of Using Vulgar Language At Campaigns by BekeeBuAgbara: 6:59am On Mar 11, 2015
undecided
Re: Soyinka Accuses Presidency Of Using Vulgar Language At Campaigns by Lekewatt(m): 7:02am On Mar 11, 2015
you nailed d Gbagbos seriously. That gej of a guy na kunu.
Re: Soyinka Accuses Presidency Of Using Vulgar Language At Campaigns by missionmex(m): 7:03am On Mar 11, 2015
Kare jini biri jini.
Re: Soyinka Accuses Presidency Of Using Vulgar Language At Campaigns by Nobody: 7:04am On Mar 11, 2015
[size=18pt]SWEAT TOO MUCH
Visit Us[/size]
Re: Soyinka Accuses Presidency Of Using Vulgar Language At Campaigns by Nobody: 7:06am On Mar 11, 2015
Anybody with access to the thesis quoted here ...I need to torchlight that document. The arguments in this thread are interesting indeed.

The MOD that brought this thread to the front has made my morning. Goes back to sleep....
Re: Soyinka Accuses Presidency Of Using Vulgar Language At Campaigns by emmatok(m): 7:06am On Mar 11, 2015
Soyinka also cautioned Cole for denigrating African religions by calling the practitioners as ‘pagan’ in his book and warned, “any more of that condescending stuff and I shall invoke Ogun, Sango and other Yoruba deities to pay you a re-educational visit and then you‘ll see whether your Christian eponymous patron saint, Saint Patrick, can save you from their corrective can for your profanity.”
Interesting.

I sure most guy condemning WS didn't read the article beyond the first paragraph.
Re: Soyinka Accuses Presidency Of Using Vulgar Language At Campaigns by asiwajuonafeko: 7:12am On Mar 11, 2015
Prof wole soyinka jst continue running ur mouth. I dnt blame wen ur son is a commissioner under APC government. This thing started by Apc bt you don't address the issue until wen gej started his own, were you sleepin b4. Jst fighting for ur son commissioner. Hissssssss

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Accuses Presidency Of Using Vulgar Language At Campaigns by Nobody: 7:12am On Mar 11, 2015
Any propaganda against presidential institue is invalid............
And it's certain that any confusion information shared by this critical period of time must be regarded as the creative of they opposition parties,so this particles is automatically
Invalid.................
Re: Soyinka Accuses Presidency Of Using Vulgar Language At Campaigns by Nobody: 7:13am On Mar 11, 2015
Even if they go far more than that! It won't still take them anywhere!

But as for me and my Family we have decided to vote for CHANGE#

#sai change#
#sai GMB#
#sai PYO#
#sai baba#

Come March 28th we shall all march for Buhari! PDP and their goons can go to hell

Buhari till Chriss Brown features K1 d ultimate

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Accuses Presidency Of Using Vulgar Language At Campaigns by ikombe: 7:14am On Mar 11, 2015
egift:
Jonathan has ran the most hateful and divisive reelection campaign in the history of Nigeria. How can an incumbent be publishing the Obituary announcements of his opponents and someone wants us to believe he meant well.

Things Must Change.
adamu maybe you ave not seen apc campaign and the way they run there mouth like powerbike. Even fashola now talks like a tout in campaigns , says lot of nonesense like jonathan is bokoharam yet d fool has no evidence but just runs his mouth. Then those hopeless yoruba actors that where in ambode campaign in lekki that where just say 'koni dafu iyalaya awon pdp' :- \ i also want change grin but that fool buhari cant give me the change i need so i will just stick to oga jonah gringringringringrin.

Fi di p

power to the people gringringringrin

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka Accuses Presidency Of Using Vulgar Language At Campaigns by PassingShot(m): 7:17am On Mar 11, 2015
isrecole:
Prof. Soyinka has lost steam because he is on the Payroll of opposition. Let the old man speak up on the Documentary which reveals can of worms on Tinubu. Proffessor Soyinka please talk on The revealing documentary!!!!!!!

By now you should know that Soyinka with his immense knowledge would not comment on documentaries of propaganda with no proofs.

If he even chooses to comment on that documentary about Tinubu, it is the presidency or whoever is behind it that the Prof will lambast for not doing the appropriate thing of approaching the courts to bring Tinubu to justice.

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka Accuses Presidency Of Using Vulgar Language At Campaigns by icebebe(f): 7:17am On Mar 11, 2015
What do we expect frm a man,whose son is a commissioner under APC?
Re: Soyinka Accuses Presidency Of Using Vulgar Language At Campaigns by luckyopara(m): 7:18am On Mar 11, 2015
Wil soon show u road to ur villa..uncle jona...otueke is da road folw it n dnt look back
Re: Soyinka Accuses Presidency Of Using Vulgar Language At Campaigns by PassingShot(m): 7:20am On Mar 11, 2015
felifeli:

What about Clueless
What about Nebuchasnezzar
What about Shepopotamus
What about.....
All those are not vulgar words abi?

This Soyinka has become clueless. He should be in old people's home

Yes, those are vulgar words from him but not for political purpose and have no relationship with political campaigns and debates.
Re: Soyinka Accuses Presidency Of Using Vulgar Language At Campaigns by udemzyudex(m): 7:25am On Mar 11, 2015
Someone should pls tell this old man to shut up.
He should watch any campaign of the opposition or any TV programme with opposition and see the way they insult the presidency.
What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Accuses Presidency Of Using Vulgar Language At Campaigns by ylaa(f): 7:26am On Mar 11, 2015
[quote author=mmb post=31507123]Jonathan and his wife lack sound grammar in English.[/quote
talking out of point. sorry
Re: Soyinka Accuses Presidency Of Using Vulgar Language At Campaigns by Young4jose: 7:26am On Mar 11, 2015
True Talk, Oga Jonna has disappoints us.........!! Sai Buhari...............!!!
Re: Soyinka Accuses Presidency Of Using Vulgar Language At Campaigns by rasco2000me: 7:29am On Mar 11, 2015
But some idiot we not see what is wrong with jona statement. The jona done tour every where .he run to church.moswue .and to the tradition yet this man clain to be a true christian too desperate a man.NIGERIAN WAKE UP JONA AS NOTHING TO OFER .HE IS A DECEIVAL .PRETEND A LOT .DO NOT BE DECEIVE .A LIA AS KNOW PLACE IN TO BE A PRESDENT

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fayose Congratulates Femi Olukayode..alias FFK / Dubai Prince, Sheikh Rashid Bin Mohammed Al Maktoum Dies At 33 / We Will Not Stop Amaechi- Rivers Senator

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.