Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,148 members, 7,811,243 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:28 AM

Effects Of Reciting The Qur’an In Comparison To Music - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Effects Of Reciting The Qur’an In Comparison To Music (6504 Views)

Saying sadaqa Allâhul-azeem After Reciting the Qur’ân Is Bid'ah – Ibn Uthaymeen / Stop Listening To Music, Its Haraam!!! / Benefits Of Reciting Surah Al Kahf On Friday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Effects Of Reciting The Qur’an In Comparison To Music by personal59: 10:22am On Mar 11, 2015
A Look at the Effects of Reciting the Qur’an in Comparison to Music

Music is a big part of our lives. It is a social trend, ever growing and popular worldwide. No doubt, you get constantly bombarded by music of all types – at shopping malls, high streets and open markets; jingles playing back-to-back on the radio, TV channels and the internet.

Nowadays, music also plays an explicit role in many educational settings and workplaces. If you are faced with such circumstantial contact with music, it could be a source of never-ending worry and stress. For many, however, especially the youth it could be a deliberate choice – living with music as nourishment and balm for the mind, body and soul.

It may be perceived as a harmless activity and a source of inner peace, relaxation, creativity and inspiration. After all if it doesn’t stop you from praying, fasting and performing good deeds, what is the big deal… right?

A Case of Parallels

I look back to a learning session a few years back. Our teacher explained that Qur’an and music can never thrive harmoniously in the heart of a believer. I struggled with this simple truth for many months afterwards. And it was such a big deal for me. Although I was learning to be a good Muslim, I continued feeding my desire albeit a negative one. This had grave consequences on my thoughts, acts of worship and lifestyle in general. I tried to think of a way to find a middle point with this seemingly parallel case. You could be faced with similar desires and inner battle right now. 

‘Music or Qur’an?’

The Noble Qur’an needs no introduction. It is a mercy, guide and protection for mankind. It is also a powerful reminder, miracle and divine revelation. As the great scholar Ibn Qayyim said, “The Qur’an is all about tawheed”. And nothing should rank higher in terms of priority for the Muslim than upholding tawheed.

Music on the other hand is all about everything but tawheed. While you may still argue about the many benefits of music, I present you with 12 simple truths to ponder.

1. Origin
Qur’an: Speech of Allah  .
Music: Created, reproduced and distributed by humans.

2.Theme
Qur’an: Tawheed (Oneness of Allah  ), Aqeedah (creed), issues related to worship, eternal gains.
Music: The most common is lowly desires and worldly gains .

3. Benefit
Qur’an: 100% beneficial at all times, whether its being recited, listened to or pondered upon.
Music: Slight benefit for certain types and at certain times e.g., soothing music to calm down, motivational lyrics, etc.

4. Content
Qur’an: Related to success in this world and hereafter; also related to virtuous character, good deeds and worship.
Music: Related to acquiring success in this world only; also related to corrupt character, alcohol, drugs, carnal desires and suicide.

5. Calling
Qur’an: Invites to the sunnah, obedience, worship, guidance, good character, forgiveness, paradise.
Music: To a large extent, invites to sin and all things leading to possible sin (lowly desires, wealth, power, disbelief, nudity).

6.Goal
Qur’an: Remembrance of Allah  .
Music: Distraction from remembrance of Allah  .

7. Production and Replication
Qur’an: Has never been and cannot be produced. Allah   challenged mankind in various verses to do so.
Music: Anyone can re/produce music. There are many courses, schools and experts dedicated to learning the art.

8. General Effect
Qur’an: Gives soothing internal effects that are long lasting and soul nourishing; long term feel-good-effect.
Music: Gives an external soothing effect that is temporary; short term feel-good-effect.

9. Effect on Soul
Qur’an: Pure nourishment for the soul through spiritual cleansing and purification.
Music: Junk food for the soul through lowering of spritual strength and draining the nafs.

10. Effect on Heart
Qur’an: Builds a sound heart, free of diseases.
Music: Increases diseases of the heart, from doubts to desires.

11. Lifestyle
Qur’an: Message can blossom subliminally into a positive lifestyle and a stable personality.
Music: Message can transform lifestyle into a negative one producing an unstable, corrupt personality.

12. Connection with Allah  
Qur’an: Makes one develop a high degree of consciousness of Allah  , taking one closer to Him.
Music: Brings about ‘gaflah’ (heedlessness) of Allah  , increasing attraction to musicians.

Way Forward
The believer has a purpose driven life, seeking worldly good as well as eternal good. You may take various means and processes while seeking this good, striving to overcome your desires and remaining firm upon the truth. There is no doubt the Qur’an is the greatest personal development tool for mankind; driving self and spiritual growth, reinforcing the truth of tawheed, directing towards the fitrah and promoting self reflection.

”This is the Book about which there is no doubt, a guidance for those conscious of Allah” (Al Baqarah, 2:2)

The global music industry is worth billions of dollars and steadily increasing in revenue. Yet, they are busy innovating new ways to oppose the message of guidance by promoting music and musicians to such a high status, as a means of finding worldly success, happiness and inner peace. Don’t fall into heedlessness. Fight your nafs. And keep pondering these simple truths.

Your turn – What other striking contrasts can you find between Qur’an and music? Please share below.

Recommended Reading
Dr. Gohar Mushtaq (2011). The Music Made Me Do It. An In-Depth Study of Music through Islam and Science. International Islamic Publishing House (IIPH). Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

Be Sociable, Share!
http://blog.islamiconlineuniversity.com/quran-vs-music-12-simple-truths-to-ponder-2/

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Effects Of Reciting The Qur’an In Comparison To Music by dejt4u(m): 10:57am On Mar 11, 2015
Infact, It is an insult to compare music to Quran..

Quran is Holy.. Music is far frm that

9 Likes

Re: Effects Of Reciting The Qur’an In Comparison To Music by personal59: 11:22am On Mar 11, 2015
dejt4u:

My brother I op u don't just comment base on d topic I u do so pls correct ur self and know the main reason for d article before commenting jazakallahu khairan.

1 Like

Re: Effects Of Reciting The Qur’an In Comparison To Music by personal59: 11:28am On Mar 11, 2015
dejt4u:

Broda I wonder d kind of std u would b wen learning

Way Forward
The believer has a purpose driven life, seeking worldly good as well as eternal good. You may take various means and processes while seeking this good, striving to overcome your desires and remaining firm upon the truth. There is no doubt the Qur’an is the greatest personal development tool for mankind; driving self and spiritual growth, reinforcing the truth of tawheed, directing towards the fitrah and promoting self reflection.

”This is the Book about which there is no doubt, a guidance for those conscious of Allah” (Al Baqarah, 2:2)

The global music industry is worth billions of dollars and steadily increasing in revenue. Yet, they are busy innovating new ways to oppose the message of guidance by promoting music and musicians to such a high status, as a means of finding worldly success, happiness and inner peace. Don’t fall into heedlessness. Fight your nafs. And keep pondering these simple truths

1 Like

Re: Effects Of Reciting The Qur’an In Comparison To Music by Gboskee(m): 7:05pm On Mar 11, 2015
[quote author=personal59 post=31512684] constantly bombarded by music of all types – at shopping malls, high streets and open markets; jingles playing back-to-back on the radio, TV channels and the internet.

Nowadays, music also plays an explicit role in many educational settings and workplaces. If you are faced with such circumstantial contact with music, it could be a source of never-ending worry and stress. For many, however, especially the youth it could be a deliberate choice – living with music as nourishment and balm for the mind, body and soul.

It may be perceived as a harmless activity and a source of inner peace, relaxation, creativity and inspiration. After all if it doesn’t stop you from praying, fasting and performing good deeds, what is the big deal… right?

A Case of Parallels

I look back to a learning session a few years back. Our teacher explained that Qur’an and music can never thrive harmoniously in the heart of a believer. I struggled with this simple truth for many months afterwards. And it was such a big deal for me. Although I was learning to be a good Muslim, I continued feeding my desire albeit a negative one. This had grave consequences on my thoughts, acts of worship and lifestyle in general. I tried to think of a way to find a middle point with this seemingly parallel case. You could be faced with similar desires and inner battle right now. 

‘Music or Qur’an?’

The Noble Qur’an needs no introduction. It is a mercy, guide and protection for mankind. It is also a powerful reminder, miracle and divine revelation. As the great scholar Ibn Qayyim said, “The Qur’an is all about tawheed”. And nothing should rank higher in terms of priority for the Muslim than upholding tawheed.

Music on the other hand is all about everything but tawheed. While you may still argue about the many benefits of music, I present you with 12 simple truths to ponder.

1. Origin

2.Theme
Qur’an: Tawheed (Oneness of Allah  ), Aqeedah (creed), issues related to worship, eternal gains.

3. Benefit
Qur’an: 100% beneficial at all times, whether its being recited, listened to or pondered upon.
Music: Slight benefit for certain types and at certain times e.g., soothing music to calm down, motivational lyrics, etc.

4. Content
Qur’an: Related to success in this world and hereafter; also related to virtuous character, good deeds and worship.
Music: Related to acquiring success in this world only; also related to corrupt character, alcohol, drugs, carnal desires and suicide.

5. Calling
Qur’an: Invites to the sunnah, obedience, worship, guidance, good character, forgiveness, paradise.
Music: To a large extent, invites to sin and all things leading to possible sin (lowly desires, wealth, power, disbelief, nudity).

6.Goal

Qur’an: Has never been and cannot be produced. Allah   challenged mankind in various verses to do so.
Music: Anyone can re/produce music. There are many courses, schools and experts dedicated to learning the art.

8. General Effect
Qur’an: Gives soothing internal effects that are long lasting and soul nourishing; long term feel-good-effect.
Music: Gives an external soothing effect that is temporary; short term feel-good-effect.

9. Effect on Soul
Qur’an: Pure nourishment for the soul through spiritual cleansing and purification.
Music: Junk food for the soul through lowering of spritual strength and draining the nafs.

10. Effect on Heart

11. Lifestyle
Qur’an: Message can blossom subliminally into a positive lifestyle and a stable personality.
Music: Message can transform lifestyle into a negative one producing an unstable, corrupt personality.

Qur’an: Makes one develop a high degree of consciousness of Allah  , taking one closer to Him.
Music: Brings about ‘gaflah’ (heedlessness) of Allah  , increasing attraction to musicians.

Way Forward

the AL-qur'an is a coclusive word so dont ever try to compare it with music et ce tra et ce tra. Its unstatistical!
Re: Effects Of Reciting The Qur’an In Comparison To Music by kemiola89(f): 11:35am On Mar 13, 2015
Music is one huge source of distraction!

2 Likes

Re: Effects Of Reciting The Qur’an In Comparison To Music by personal59: 5:26pm On Mar 13, 2015
[quote author=Gboskee post=31528299][/quote]

Oga u re also getting it wron if u readt it well u will understand its all about y u should listen to al-quran and stop listening to music.
Re: Effects Of Reciting The Qur’an In Comparison To Music by personal59: 5:28pm On Mar 13, 2015
[quote author=Gboskee post=31528299][/quote]

Nd mind u if u don't av anything to say with islamic back up on y d post is wrong pls lev tread is nt a must u comment cos am sure u never read it
Re: Effects Of Reciting The Qur’an In Comparison To Music by Gboskee(m): 5:32pm On Mar 13, 2015
personal59:

Nd mind u if u don't av anything to say with islamic back up on y d post is wrong pls lev tread is nt a must u comment cos am sure u never read it
iread it thou,,,

you dont get what am trying to say..

Mind you,,
peace is all what we clamour for,,,
Re: Effects Of Reciting The Qur’an In Comparison To Music by Gboskee(m): 5:37pm On Mar 13, 2015
personal59:

Oga u re also getting it wron if u readt it well u will understand its all about y u should listen to al-quran and stop listening to music.
please try to upgrade your english..

Or you think you are a better muslim than i? Oh! Let ALLAH judge us.

May ALLAH help us all,,ameen!

1 Like

Re: Effects Of Reciting The Qur’an In Comparison To Music by personal59: 7:47am On Mar 14, 2015
Gboskee:
please try to upgrade your english..

Or you think you are a better muslim than i? Oh! Let ALLAH judge us.

May ALLAH help us all,,ameen!

Upgrade my english for wat is it the ticket for living a good life ur priority Is not mine moreover what I post is not for u to comment on nd who is talking on being a better muslim a better muslim is d one who fear allah the most so pls I don't knw u nor do u knw m if wat I post doesn't mk sense to u pls post a better one by creating another tread or keep off dis jazakallahu khairan
Re: Effects Of Reciting The Qur’an In Comparison To Music by Gboskee(m): 7:55am On Mar 14, 2015
personal59:

Upgrade my english for wat is it the ticket for living a good life ur priority Is not mine moreover what I post is not for u to comment on nd who is talking on being a better muslim a better muslim is d one who fear allah the most so pls I don't knw u nor do u knw m if wat I post doesn't mk sense to u pls post a better one by creating another tread or keep off dis jazakallahu khairan
off
Re: Effects Of Reciting The Qur’an In Comparison To Music by HaroldFinch(m): 12:43pm On Mar 20, 2015
Thanks OP.

Haven't we lost it?
These lines have been playing in my
head...
They were about to torture my brain,
hand and pen, till I got forced to
write...
To some, a deliberate attempt...
We have subconsciously created a
'rival' for the Quran....
Despite clear warnings, havent we
failed?....
The rivalry had come through
preference and a matter of choice...
And the space they battle to occupy in
our heads....
Music and Quran now fight on our
Mp3 players, DVD, Mobile phones, cars,
radio, even on the streets....
A war of superiority, but clearly, music
is winning...
And it was said, a very long time ago,
that the holy book will be wept
away....
It sounded like fiction, a farce...
But behold, this is happening, and we
are all witnesses to our failure...
I am not spared in this sin...
But my conscience wouldnt allow me
breathe...
Haram or not, Music has eaten us up,
we've given a part of us to it, not the
quran....
As absurd as it would seem...
To imagine an Imam sing and dance to
the latest hits....
Right in front of us, while giving
sermon during a prayer...
Much have been said, my pen is just a
wanderer....
But truth be told, when death comes
and we are to account....
Quran will be there to shield us,
protect us...
And music, well, I have seen no hadith
that even the so called 'islamic songs'
would be of any help....
It is not 'some peoples' duty to read
the quran, understand it and bring it
to your brains to swallow...
It is every muslim's duty to learn it, a
command from Allah (swt)
..... And fear that day, when we'll all
return to Him....
Agreeing with these lines is also a
matter of choice...
My thoughts would allow me rest now, I've
done my part....

4 Likes

Re: Effects Of Reciting The Qur’an In Comparison To Music by Nobody: 12:51pm On Mar 20, 2015
@ops, Jazakumunllahu Khairan... May ALLAH be please with us (Amin).
Re: Effects Of Reciting The Qur’an In Comparison To Music by personal59: 12:55pm On Mar 20, 2015
HaroldFinch:
Thanks OP.

Haven't we lost it?
These lines have been playing in my
head...
They were about to torture my brain,
hand and pen, till I got forced to
write...
To some, a deliberate attempt...
We have subconsciously created a
'rival' for the Quran....
Despite clear warnings, havent we
failed?....
The rivalry had come through
preference and a matter of choice...
And the space they battle to occupy in
our heads....
Music and Quran now fight on our
Mp3 players, DVD, Mobile phones, cars,
radio, even on the streets....
A war of superiority, but clearly, music
is winning...
And it was said, a very long time ago,
that the holy book will be wept
away....
It sounded like fiction, a farce...
But behold, this is happening, and we
are all witnesses to our failure...
I am not spared in this sin...
But my conscience wouldnt allow me
breathe...
Haram or not, Music has eaten us up,
we've given a part of us to it, not the
quran....
As absurd as it would seem...
To imagine an Imam sing and dance to
the latest hits....
Right in front of us, while giving
sermon during a prayer...
Much have been said, my pen is just a
wanderer....
But truth be told, when death comes
and we are to account....
Quran will be there to shield us,
protect us...
And music, well, I have seen no hadith
that even the so called 'islamic songs'
would be of any help....
It is not 'some peoples' duty to read
the quran, understand it and bring it
to your brains to swallow...
It is every muslim's duty to learn it, a
command from Allah (swt)
..... And fear that day, when we'll all
return to Him....
Agreeing with these lines is also a
matter of choice...
My thoughts would allow me rest now, I've
done my part....

Jazakallahu khairan may almighty allah bless u
Re: Effects Of Reciting The Qur’an In Comparison To Music by ola20ng(m): 1:01pm On Mar 20, 2015
Bisimillah ma sha Allah. Jazakallahu Khayran. Qur'an is the daily tonic for our soul and the guide book for the best life. اللهم اجعلنا من أهل القرآن

3 Likes

Re: Effects Of Reciting The Qur’an In Comparison To Music by Nobody: 1:20pm On Mar 20, 2015
Music truly distants one from d Qur'an

1 Like

Re: Effects Of Reciting The Qur’an In Comparison To Music by umarionation(m): 2:22pm On Mar 20, 2015
Alhamdulilah may Allah bless us and put us into d ryt path
Re: Effects Of Reciting The Qur’an In Comparison To Music by khattab008: 8:20pm On Mar 20, 2015
Jazakallahu Khairan OP, May Allah give us the strenght to stay on the right path...Amin
Re: Effects Of Reciting The Qur’an In Comparison To Music by chakula: 9:38pm On Mar 20, 2015
Masha Allah lakuwatta illah billah.
Re: Effects Of Reciting The Qur’an In Comparison To Music by Rahmatuparker: 5:47pm On Mar 21, 2015
subhanAllah
Re: Effects Of Reciting The Qur’an In Comparison To Music by ContractKiller: 5:23pm On Nov 08, 2019
Very funny religion. Sometimes I get the impression that an illiterate invented islam. So full of dimwitted ideas. Music is evil, but raping 9 year old girls under the guise of marriage is not haram. grin

personal59:
A Look at the Effects of Reciting the Qur’an in Comparison to Music

Music is a big part of our lives. It is a social trend, ever growing and popular worldwide. No doubt, you get constantly bombarded by music of all types – at shopping malls, high streets and open markets; jingles playing back-to-back on the radio, TV channels and the internet.

A Case of Parallels

‘Music or Qur’an?’

1. Origin

2.Theme

3. Benefit

4. Content

5. Calling

6.Goal

8. General Effect

9. Effect on Soul

10. Effect on Heart

11. Lifestyle

Way Forward

The global music industry is worth billions of dollars and steadily increasing in revenue. Yet, they are busy innovating new ways to oppose the message of guidance by promoting music and musicians to such a high status, as a means of finding worldly success, happiness and inner peace. Don’t fall into heedlessness. Fight your nafs. And keep pondering these simple truths.

Your turn – What other striking contrasts can you find between Qur’an and music? Please share below.

Recommended Reading
Dr. Gohar Mushtaq (2011). The Music Made Me Do It. An In-Depth Study of Music through Islam and Science. International Islamic Publishing House (IIPH). Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

Be Sociable, Share!
http://blog.islamiconlineuniversity.com/quran-vs-music-12-simple-truths-to-ponder-2/

(1) (Reply)

How To Prepare For Ramadaan / Kindness To Animal In Islam / Lessons From Hadith 3 Of The Forty Ḥadīth Of An-nawawih

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.