Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,499 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:16 PM

Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? (50559 Views)

Acres Of Land At Karishi Fct, Abuja. 100k Per Plot Buy In Acres And Sell In Bit. / List Of Building Materials In Nigeria And The Price Qoutes / 2 Building Story For Sell In Mokola @ibadan Oyo State,near Premier Hotel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by larez(m): 9:15pm On Jan 14, 2009
I am interested in the possibility of doing some design build in Lekki/Ikoyi or/and in Abuja. My question here is that do people build homes like the following? If they do, what would they sell for in the areas mentioned. Please give your comments. These are some designs from my portfolio built in the USA.

Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by larez(m): 9:18pm On Jan 14, 2009
Here is the rear

Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by larez(m): 9:21pm On Jan 14, 2009
3 Bedroom Bungalow

Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by larez(m): 9:22pm On Jan 14, 2009
Overview Transparency

Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by larez(m): 9:24pm On Jan 14, 2009
My dreamhouse to live in and use as Guesthouse for International Superstars including a 9 hole Golf course and Tennis Court, next to a lake. tongue

Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by larez(m): 9:27pm On Jan 14, 2009
Cluster type Units for narrow lots.

Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by larez(m): 9:29pm On Jan 14, 2009
Overview transparency

Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by larez(m): 9:34pm On Jan 14, 2009
Will post more upon request.

Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by muna12345: 10:46am On Jan 15, 2009
nice houses, they will sell real well, if you get them exact
Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by larez(m): 9:27pm On Jan 15, 2009
muna12345:

nice houses, they will sell real well, if you get them exact

Thanks Muna. But there are no compromises in any project that I do. My quality control standards were very high in the United States. Since all my designs are done in 3D and studied before construction, things have to be exactly the way I drew them, or the sub-contractor will have to tear down and redo. Here is one of the homes that I built in the U.S.

Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by Nobody: 9:30pm On Jan 15, 2009
they will sell well. Nice designs though, pls post more
Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by larez(m): 10:22pm On Jan 15, 2009
Thanks David:

here are some photographs:

Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by larez(m): 10:33pm On Jan 15, 2009
Vecchio

Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by larez(m): 10:37pm On Jan 15, 2009
More Pics

Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by larez(m): 10:50pm On Jan 15, 2009
Edison's Maria-Nelson

Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by DosuAde: 4:01pm On Jan 16, 2009
i wouldn't think so, however if you are looking house designs for niger contact me on ckdosu@yahoo.com
Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by larez(m): 4:59pm On Jan 16, 2009
Define a Naija house. What makes a home a Naija home? Is it the constraints from colonial days, which the average builder refuses to abandon and embrace new technology that allows more freedom in design? Please elaborate on what you mean by a Naija house. thanks
Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by insight04: 6:28pm On Jan 16, 2009
@larez,

Try and post pictures of 3,4 and 5 bedroom bungalows. They have a wider market appeal for potential builders in Nigeria and should be a bit more feasible and cost effective to implement too.
Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by HRhotness(f): 6:36pm On Jan 16, 2009
you'll need to modify them for nigerian climate,  materials most especially. . . it sickens me when pple import designs that were specificaly designed for other regions, materials and all, with no regard for wether they work, are actually livable or not.

2 Likes

Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by MrCrackles(m): 6:40pm On Jan 16, 2009
POSTER

U will struggle to maintain this sort of house designs in Nigeria, trust me!

However, u can never tell unless you mass-trial them

I have seen one or two similar designs around in Nigeria sha, breathe taking
!!!!! cheesy
Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by larez(m): 8:06pm On Jan 16, 2009
HR.hotness:

you'll need to modify them for nigerian climate,  materials most especially. . . it sickens me when pple import designs that were specificaly designed for other regions, materials and all, with no regard for wether they work, are actually livable or not.

Funny thing that you would say that. I have noticed that most Nigerian homes are not fully built to suit Nigerian climate. There are many rules that are broken or not adhered to but generally accepted. An example is damp proofing of the homes. Many houses here in Nigeria seem to be built to cultivate fungi. In the United States, there are many climate zones as well as earth-quake zones. Building codes for each zone are tailored to the particular zone. In California, you have to consider seismic activities, while Tropical Florida shares the same climatic properties as Tropical Nigeria. Florida is however advancing in building technology and progress is being reflected in the quality of their products. But in Nigeria generally, we still seem to embrace the system that the colonials introduced without looking at methods for improvement.

Projects that I will get involved in will definitely explore new and emerging Technologies that allow more flexibility in design and creativity. This does not mean that I do not realize the issues of costing related to affordable homes, but even with them as well, there are better and more efficient ways.
Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by higznet(m): 9:00pm On Jan 16, 2009
there is market for every architectural design as long as you adapt it to what the client wants. do not get discouraged. some people like BIG houses like the ones in your pictures. most people I KNOW prefer to build cute, average sized houses. for duplex, 3 self contained bedrooms with a family living room upstairs. one visitor's / guest's room, big living room, small front room, kitchen and store downstairs with attached or detached BQ. swimming pool, 9 hole golf course, lawn tennis court and other additions will be determine by the size of the land. hook up with architects on ground (in nigeria) and they'll advice you more. boungalows also come with nice designs.
my brother is an architect and he is based in Germany. he is always loaded with architectural designs and jobs when he visits Nigeria because he combined the european house design with the 'Nigerian design' to role out what people believe are 'ageless', inexpensive & funtional houses. get in touch with me on higznet@yahoo.com if you want to meet him or discuss this issue with me further.
by the way i'm a LAND SURVEYOR & i can introduce you to people in Lagos, Abuja, Benin & PH who may be interested in your architectural service. GOODLUCK.
Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by jingoma(m): 9:20pm On Jan 16, 2009
Nice designs but you might have to leave out the basement cos the water table is high in Lekki and the beauty of these types of houses get compromised by the 15 foot fence and gates you have to build in front/ around the house for protection.

2 Likes

Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by cvibe: 9:22pm On Jan 16, 2009
@ poster any type of design will sell but your design lacks high barbed wire fence, burglar proof gate/windows, generator house, gateman's house, borehole and tanks.

1 Like

Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by MrCrackles(m): 9:28pm On Jan 16, 2009
cvibe:

@ poster any type of design will sell but your design lacks high barbed wire fence, burglar proof gate/windows, generator house, gateman's house, borehole and tanks.

What nonsense are you talking about?

generator house, gateman house?

How can you tell or show a window is burglar proof from a mere architectural drawing?

Since when has a borehole and tank become a necessity in order to effectively design a home?

WTF
?!

1 Like

Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by cabali(m): 9:32pm On Jan 16, 2009
I dont understand what people are posting. U say the house does not look naija? I need to know is it that it cant be found in naija or it will not be accepted in naija? If u say so, u proll arent staying in lekki or aint never being there.

There are loads of houses on lekki that is just like the first structure. Go to parkview estate and u will see houses structured as so.

@ Larex,

Those structures will work just fine in lagos and by all means in abuja. Now there will be varying price tags depending on as flimsy as area; what I mean is that you may see a duplex in an estate on lekkin for N35m and just drive 10mins along lekki road into another estate and u are paying N37m for a bungalow. I am not very good with abuja prices but I can tell you this much.

P.S. The duplex I am talking about is not half what I see posted on this thread  wink

1 Like

Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by Jairzinho(m): 9:33pm On Jan 16, 2009
They may not sell. The naija concept is  gated secured facility ,not necessarily elaboarate,butwith really big living rooms.
Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by earTHMama: 9:46pm On Jan 16, 2009
They don't have winter in Nigeria. I don't think some of the houses will sell in Nigeria because of the climate. Try something with more balconey, shorter beams(for armed robbers/security) and longer cantilevers(for sun rays) besides, Nigerian builders are more comfortable building on level surfaces which helps our maintenance ethics. Structures built in uneven grounds are more prone to cracks and all that because of moment of a force.

1 Like

Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by SisiJinx: 9:51pm On Jan 16, 2009
What do you mean they won't sell because Nigeria does not have winter?

Is it not the design that we are talking about here?!!!

@ Topic
I think are beautiful designs and it is about time we start building homes in Nigeria like we actually know what we want instead the building for building sakes most people do.

1 Like

Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by cabali(m): 10:04pm On Jan 16, 2009
Sisi Jinx:

What do you mean they won't sell because Nigeria does not have winter?

Is it not the design that we are talking about here?!!!

pls help me ask them. I wonder if they are really into real estate to tell me the design will not sell because we dont have winter. Like the weather does not change in the US. So when it it summer in the US are the buildings collapsed for a summer structure??

Please u guys should visit someone in parkview estate and tell me if we have finally got winter in nigeria
Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by damola1: 10:05pm On Jan 16, 2009
THe simple truth of the matter is you need to come and test the market yourself.

But I tell you this from my tiny experience, professionalism is well appreciated in Nigeria. Very much appreciated. Because there are few professionals. very few.

So, if you are good at what you do, and can deliver well, the market is yours to take.

Take it!, Take it!, its yours!
Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by AloyEmeka9: 10:18pm On Jan 16, 2009
The houses look bland and is at par with Nigerian taste. Some look like a church while others look like a mosque without the moon sign. Nevertheless, they will sell but not as much as you think. I recommend you take parts of the design and recreate them to look more domestic like the ones we have in tropical Africal.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The World's Best Architecture And Interior Designs Of 2021 ( Pics) / Where's The Best Place To Live In Lagos Mainland? / South African Man Turns His House To Swimming Pool After Heavy Flood

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.