Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,723 members, 7,816,974 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:51 PM

The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) (72840 Views)

Bank Verification Number (BVN) And Crowded Banks (photos) / 12 Things You Need To Know About Bank Verification Number (BVN) / Customers Queue For Bank Verification Number (BVN) In Dutse (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by Optimisticgondy(m): 10:58pm On Mar 15, 2015
USAutoBuy:
What happens to account holders outside the country?
I'm curios to get an answer for this cos I have some people outside the country where no Nigerian bank is situated.
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by engrhorla(m): 10:59pm On Mar 15, 2015
freshcvv:
Is this peculiar to just Nigeria?
Yes!
And may I say that this is a first in financial industry in d whole wide world! I pray we get it right.
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by engrhorla(m): 11:01pm On Mar 15, 2015
njideoby:
CBN and its wahala! I have enrolled and gotten my BVN and equally distributed same to my different accounts in other banks. But my confusion is what happened to Nuban.
When enrolling for Nuban was reigning, offices and organisations were threatening their workers with salary stoppage if the Nuban was not provided. All of a sudden, Nuban was forgotten and now BVN. Tomorrow another government of CBN will fault this and issue another mode of verification and security. We the poor masses will be left with no other option than to still rush back to comply.
Lol. Funny analysis.
But I think change is d only thing d@ is permanent! Or what do u think, nne?
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by lonelydora: 11:01pm On Mar 15, 2015
I thought they said it's 666.
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by USAutoBuy(m): 11:02pm On Mar 15, 2015
To combat fraud, i hope they do more like the US. When you commit fraud at one bank, they will just notify the other banks thru your BVN number and other banks can close your account.

That will be very good. all these yahoo yahoo boys will be kept at bay since you can only get one BVN number.

In the US, you will be reported to CHECKSYSTEMS once you commit a fraud somewhere. No other bank will open an account for you AGAIN unless the original bank that puts the check system in place removes it.

Kudos to the CBN for safer banking in Nigeria.
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by Nobody: 11:02pm On Mar 15, 2015
onatisi:
bros u need to be better informed .there is no where bank fraud can't be perpetrated but give kudos to our banks they have done a lot .for example nigeria uses chip based payment cards ,usa banks don't use this ,that was why many people accounts were used on clone cards in usa,the american system still uses the magnetic stripe one . This bvn is biometric and with time atm cards with chip will have ur biometric information don't be surprised in the nearest future if u will required to do finger print verification before withdrawing from atm. With the bvn there are lot of benefits to the customer .
are you sure about this.

http://creditcardforum.com/blog/chip-and-pin-credit-cards-usa/
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by Nobody: 11:03pm On Mar 15, 2015
siegfried99:
Ok sir

Registered with GTB last year, will go back there soon for my BVN cool

Must one go to the originating branch of account opening for the BVN or one can do it in any branch?
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by IGWISE(m): 11:05pm On Mar 15, 2015
stepo707:
Well how long does it take before am issued a BVN.I registered 3weeks ago?
You get it aftet 24 hours, by the way Which bank did you register with.
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by Maxcollins042(m): 11:05pm On Mar 15, 2015
Is one charged by a bank to get this BVN?
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by Chinatownm(m): 11:05pm On Mar 15, 2015
njideoby:

Before you change something, ensure that whatever thing you are changing into is far better than your present state, to avoid had I known or story that touched.

dats wat I told Tinubu d last time we met in bourdillon. shaay u knw Whr I de talk abi. Yes I was dia last week.
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by siegfried99(m): 11:08pm On Mar 15, 2015
drlawizle:

Must one go to the originating branch of account opening for the BVN or one can do it in any branch?

It's any branch sir
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by Chinatownm(m): 11:10pm On Mar 15, 2015
njideoby:

Before you change something, ensure that whatever thing you are changing into is far better than your present state, to avoid had I known or story that touched.

dats d same tin I told Tinubu d last time we met in his houx, but he wouldn't listen.
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by amywonda: 11:19pm On Mar 15, 2015
H
hedonistic:

Funniest thing I have read this year. Even America's banking system loses billions of dollars every year to fraud (and our Naija boys - all the "elegushi spenders" and co - partake in this annual feast in the millions of dollars). If Fraudulent transactions have not been eliminated in the United States, it is laughable to even suggest that it is possible in Nigeria in the next 20 years. Get real.

Relax dude, American financial system is one of the weakest, even their cards are still the old magnetic stripe, that's ancient tech, the ban makes it a lot harder, my issue with Bvn is that, it's just woke of money, and time, all the cbn had to do was ask banks to inform all their customers to provide their nin number before a set deadline, this would make the banking public get registered for the National id card and thus all their account can be linked with their nin, instead of a totally new database maintained by the banks, why the proliferation of people's information? The new national identity card solves this issue, get registered for ur NIN, now it's more important Dan the Bvn rubbish, I saw my friends card and it is beautiful, kudos to Jonathan on that one sha

Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by Yommiefish(m): 11:21pm On Mar 15, 2015
Great and eye opening
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by amywonda: 11:22pm On Mar 15, 2015
U
saxywale:

are you sure about this.

http://creditcardforum.com/blog/chip-and-pin-credit-cards-usa/
true the new national identity card already has ur biometric on it, and it's possible to use ur print as the password once the infrastructure is in place
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by deolu2000(m): 11:38pm On Mar 15, 2015
saintfizzo:
For one who uses more than one bank... do I have to get BVN for each of my Bank accounts?
no,just walk into any of the banks you operate an account with then the biometric registration you did from one bank will serve for all other accounts.afteral your face and fingerprints doesnt change.
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by Malakh: 11:39pm On Mar 15, 2015
blackjack21:

Christ will make a way where there is no way
Hallelujah
i'll buy that

22:46:53
Sun, Mar 15, 2015
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by Nobody: 11:44pm On Mar 15, 2015
Them still never tell us how we wey dey overseas go get our own oo. I can't spend almost $2500 on return ticket because of BVN oo. angry
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by chessguru(m): 11:45pm On Mar 15, 2015
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by chessguru(m): 11:48pm On Mar 15, 2015
Amefrica:
Them still never tell us how we wey dey overseas go get our own oo. I can't spend almost $2500 on return ticket because of BVN oo. angry
##

https://www.nairaland.com/2156116/nigerians-living-abroad-travel-back#30882245 ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT BVN
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by shaizegotswag: 12:06am On Mar 16, 2015
Please can it be done at any branch or it must be where we opened our account please help
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by InvertedHammer: 12:07am On Mar 16, 2015
/

The primary purpose of BVN has nothing to do with curtailing/eradicating fraud.

\
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by Nobody: 12:11am On Mar 16, 2015
chessguru:
##

https://www.nairaland.com/2156116/nigerians-living-abroad-travel-back#30882245 ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT BVN

That's what I'm saying. They need to provide another way for us, it isn't fair on our part to travel all the way to Nigeria because of the BVN.

1 Like

Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by Revolva(m): 3:18am On Mar 16, 2015
angry angry omo well its ok ave gotten myne
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by adonisNEW(m): 3:39am On Mar 16, 2015
Really sensitizing. Thanks op
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by NobleG1(m): 4:13am On Mar 16, 2015
I haven't read any legitimate reason for this so-called BVN, which is NOT fraud proof. How is it better than the conventional banking system (which is secure)?

No other country on earth implemented this, including civilized nations. So why is Nigeria hell-bent on doing so? For the fact that Nigerians abroad must visit home to obtain this BVN, makes it unattainable, cumbersome, unprofessional and suspicious.

The only reason I believe they're implementing this nonsense is solely to collect Biometric data of Nigerians. That's why they used bank to make it mandatory.
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by bennyzer(m): 4:47am On Mar 16, 2015
Make I rush go do my own.
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by datguru: 5:02am On Mar 16, 2015
onatisi:
bros u need to be better informed .there is no where bank fraud can't be perpetrated but give kudos to our banks they have done a lot .for example nigeria uses chip based payment cards ,usa banks don't use this ,that was why many people accounts were used on clone cards in usa,the american system still uses the magnetic stripe one . This bvn is biometric and with time atm cards with chip will have ur biometric information don't be surprised in the nearest future if u will required to do finger print verification before withdrawing from atm. With the bvn there are lot of benefits to the customer .

So what point are you trying to make now that is different from what I said ? Or you just feel like quoting me ?
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by USAutoBuy(m): 5:08am On Mar 16, 2015
NobleG1:
I haven't read any legitimate reason for this so-called BVN, which is NOT fraud proof. How is it better than the conventional banking system (which is secure)?
No other country on earth implemented this, including civilized nations. So why is Nigeria hell-bent on doing so? For the fact that Nigerians abroad must visit home to obtain this BVN, makes it unattainable, cumbersome, unprofessional and suspicious.
The only reason I believe they're implementing this nonsense is solely to collect Biometric data of Nigerians. That's why they used bank to make it mandatory.

BVN is a very good thing if you must know. While no system is 100% secure, the next best thing is to attain perfection as close as possible. In the States, you obtain your bank account with Social Security Number (Like a tax ID). I assume same in the UK. You can only obtain 1 Social security in a lifetime (i am not saying that there are no cases of fraud). But for 99% of the people its one per person.

If you mess up your banking relationship, you wiull be reported to a general bank database and you wont be able to open another one.

But in Nigeria, the BVN is better. It will get to a point that they will compare your fingerprint to the BVN before you can withdraw.

If someone cash a check by fraud, the fingerprint can be matched with the database and he will be caught.

Only the bank has the incentive and resources to combat fraud. At least in Nigeria.

Long live BVN
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by jcflex(m): 5:31am On Mar 16, 2015
The book of REVELATION, gradually coming to reality.
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by MrMandilas: 5:39am On Mar 16, 2015
stepo707:
Well how long does it take before am issued a BVN.I registered 3weeks ago?
It will take 24 banking hours. I registered on thursday 12th of march 2015 and got a text from my bank (Diamond) the next day. So i have my BVN now.
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by DaBullIT(m): 5:45am On Mar 16, 2015
SirChotas:
This is the point of the entire post;

The major objectives of the initiative are to protect bank customers, reduce fraud and strengthen the Nigerian banking system.Biometric enrolment is helpful to people who cannot read and write. Their finger prints and pictures would serve the same purpose as signatures. Multiple account holders would be covered with a single registration in any of the banks where they have accounts. BVN will help the banking system reduce situations where loan defaulters, for instance, move from one bank to the other and the banks extend new credits to them, without knowing their history. Banks would be able to track transactions across all banks in Nigeria with more ease.
Good Job, that covers it all

kentochi:
With help of BVN your account is secured from those yahoo guys
Yahoo guys or not , No one else can cash out from your bank account without banker's complicity meaning Inside Job, also instead of forcing BVN, how about removing corruption completely from banking systems and / or Investing in Banking system security

Otherwise even if you cut your finger and keep it at the bank, as long as you access your bank account online, You are prone to getting hacked by hackers , not just yahoo boys

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

These Are The Nigerians Benefiting From The Fall Of The Naira / Where To Buy Wholesale Cosmetic Products In Naija / US Bank Stops Western Union Transfers To Nigeria In Aftermath Of 80 Fraud Burst?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.