Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,089 members, 7,835,663 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:09 PM

CAF African Player Of The Year: Zaki Dropped! - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / CAF African Player Of The Year: Zaki Dropped! (1558 Views)

2014 CAF African Women's Championship - Namibia 2014 / Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 / CAF African Nations Championship: South Africa 2014 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

CAF African Player Of The Year: Zaki Dropped! by Jarus(m): 10:11am On Jan 15, 2009
At last CAF has come up with the Top 3 nominees for the 2008 APOTY award, dropping Drogba and Zaki. This has laid to rest the argument that Zaki is winning this one. The final shortlist goes thus:

Final shortlist

Glo-CAF Player of the Year (Across the world)

Emmanuel Adebayor (Arsenal and Togo)

Michael Essien (Chelsea and Ghana)

Mohamed Aboutreika (Al-Ahly and Egypt)

Glo-CAF Player of the Year (Across Africa)

Ahmed Hassan (Al-Ahly and Egypt)

Flavio Amado (Al-Ahly and Angola)

Mohamed Aboutreika (Al-Ahly and Egypt)

Stephen Worgu (Enyimba FC and Nigeria)

Tresor Mputu Mabi (T.P. Mazembe and DR Congo)

National Team of the Year

Cameroon

Egypt

Nigeria

Club of the Year

Al-Ahly (Egypt)

Club Sportif Sfaxien (Tunisia)

Coton Sport (Cameroon)

Young Player of the Year

Salomon Kalou (Chelsea and Cote d’Ivoire)

Stephane Mbia (Stade Rennais and Cameroon)

Victor Obinna Nsofor (Inter Milan and Nigeria).

Women’s footballer of the year

Alice Mattlou (South Africa)

Genevova Anonma (Equatorial Guinea)

Ngo Ndoumbouk Marlyse (Cameroon).

Coach of the Year

Alain Oumbledon (CotonSport)

Hassan Shehata (Egypt national team)

Jose Manuel (Al-Ahly)

http://www.cafonline.com/?lng=1&module=media&ANC=NewsPages&TNews=18&idrub=98861&idnews=84176
Re: CAF African Player Of The Year: Zaki Dropped! by kofinti1(m): 2:12am On Jan 16, 2009
think its going to be hard for me to pick the best out of these three great footballers.for me,it could go to any of them.i love essien, because he is the engine of my teams chelsea and Ghana.i also love adebayor cos he is the only true striker in arsenal right now and i think aboutrika or abu striker is also a force to reckon with.
Re: CAF African Player Of The Year: Zaki Dropped! by dayokanu(m): 5:40am On Jan 16, 2009
Putting Nigeria as a nominee for best National team or Nsofor as best young player.

Are they trying to ridicule us?
Re: CAF African Player Of The Year: Zaki Dropped! by Jarus(m): 10:57am On Jan 16, 2009
dayokanu:

Putting Nigeria as a nominee for best National team or Nsofor as best young player.

Nigeria: Poor ANC performance, but with 6-0-0 WCQ campaign(read somewhere the only country in the world that didn't drop a point in the WCQ), I think the nomination is not out of place, even though everybody knows Egypt is winning it.
Nsofor: Because of Nigeria's firm grip of age-grade tournaments every year, at least one Nigerian usually appears in the category of Young APOY award. Martins(2003,2004), Mikel(2005), Taiwo(2nd in 2005, and winner 2006),Ganiyu Oseni(3rd in 2007). I knew one Nigerian will also make the shortlist this year but I thought it would be Ogbuke. Nsofor too did not have a bad year. He deserves nomination. But winning? With Kalou, I doubt if he can win it.
Re: CAF African Player Of The Year: Zaki Dropped! by abrahym(m): 11:04am On Jan 16, 2009
adebayor is favourite,but eto deserve it
Re: CAF African Player Of The Year: Zaki Dropped! by Olumide7(m): 11:50am On Jan 16, 2009
abrahym:

adebayor is favourite,but eto deserve it

Eto'o? Is he a nominee?
Re: CAF African Player Of The Year: Zaki Dropped! by Ibime(m): 11:51am On Jan 16, 2009
dayokanu:

You are thinking exactly what I was thinking. Maybe it's because Glo are the sponsors.

Gervinho should be there ahead of Kalou sef as he was rated as the second best player of the Olympics by many behind Messi. Nsofor should not be there ahead of Obasi. And I am surprised Alex Song's performance at the ACN was overlooked.
Re: CAF African Player Of The Year: Zaki Dropped! by Mustay(m): 8:50pm On Jan 16, 2009
iT'S RIDICULOUS TO HAVE A SEGREGRATION OF APOTY.

WDH IS "ACROSS AFRICA" AND "ACROSS THE WORLD".

CAF LIVES LARGELY IN HYPOCRISY.

SHOULD ABOU TREKA LOSE THIS, THEN SORRY TO AFRICAN FOOTBALL
Re: CAF African Player Of The Year: Zaki Dropped! by Jarus(m): 9:09pm On Jan 16, 2009
Yeap, I also think Gervinho deserves a spot. Ditto for Song.
Re: CAF African Player Of The Year: Zaki Dropped! by dayokanu(m): 2:40am On Jan 17, 2009
Pls which club does Nsofor play for. Cos I hadly see him play for Inter Milan maybe he is now at
Alaba [b]Inter[/b]national Market
Re: CAF African Player Of The Year: Zaki Dropped! by tosinaded(m): 1:37pm On Jan 18, 2009
dayokanu:

Pls which club does Nsofor play for. Cos I hadly see him play for Inter Milan maybe he is now at

very funny!!!!
how many intergames u dey watch sef
the guy just dey come up, free am. na small e dey start.

team of the year, has nigeria in it shocked
caf is run by idiots and morons!!!!!
why will the olympic team be left out and super eagles be nominated?
it dsnt make sense!!!!!

african player of the year has micheal essien on the list and zaki left out grin
the awards is a joke i swear!!!!!
a nations cup winner is left for sum1 who lost all the cup competitions final he playd last year grin

rubbish!!!!!!

next thing we will hear, essien will be name player of the year
just how kanoute won it last year!!!!!
Re: CAF African Player Of The Year: Zaki Dropped! by DrKitaun(m): 2:43pm On Jan 18, 2009
dayokanu:

stop being funny angry

Nsofor would surely win that award, forget the fact that Gervinho was quite okay against a few teams, how well did he play against Nigeria and where did they land ? in the finals ? tongue

I cant fathom why Essien is there on that list though, old glory dey count ? grin
Re: CAF African Player Of The Year: Zaki Dropped! by A40(m): 4:26pm On Jan 18, 2009
dayokanu:

I have told you before to stop wasting your talent and try your hands on Standup comedy!! grin grin

The award is Adebayor's!!

(1) (Reply)

Chelsea (4) Vs Bolton Wanderers (3) On Saturday 11th April / Favourite Sport???!!! / The Sorry State Of Enyimba I'ntl Stadium (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.