Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,475 members, 7,830,390 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:52 PM

How Do I Go About It? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How Do I Go About It? (726 Views)

Bluehost Or Hostgator: Which Should I Go For? / .com Or .com.ng Which Should I Go For / How Do I Go About These Codes? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Go About It? by gee2(m): 8:46pm On Jan 15, 2009
hi guyz, greetings to me webmasters. plz every1, i'm workingon a design and i need to put some alphabetical list with so many options under each alphabet, but i don't want more than 5 pages for the site. what should i do and how do i go about it?
thanking you all for a favourable response.
thanks y'all.
wink wink
Re: How Do I Go About It? by yawatide(f): 10:09pm On Jan 15, 2009
Depending on wat type of site, I foresee no more than 3 pages:

1) Home page welcoming ppl and telling them what to do
2) search page
3) results page

From how you have posed the request, I will assume you don't know ajax in which case it would require only 2 pages so letz go with the above scenario. You will need a backend language (PHP, JSP, etc) for this to work though.

On your search page, you could have a dropdown of all alphabets or provide the alphabet listing with links like so:
<a href="search-results.php?search=a">A</a>

Then when you click "A", it takes you to the search results page. From there again, there r 2 possible scenarios, again, depending on what you want to do:

1) database approach (preferred):
query the database for, in this case, "A", and display results pulled from the database OR

2) non-database approach:
Have one big search-results page with all the results, then using say, PHP, conditionally show portions of the file depending on the letter selected.
Re: How Do I Go About It? by OmniPotens(m): 4:17pm On Jan 17, 2009
I think the database approach is better. It is easier. Will just call up ids from the table and that is it. Used something like that to do a book store catalogue spanning A - Z.
Re: How Do I Go About It? by gee2(m): 9:13am On Feb 21, 2009
Thanks guyz, I get it, the database approach will really do the work.
Thanks a bunch, God bless. wink

(1) (Reply)

Wat About Cgi? / I Need Any One That Is Good In Adobe Flash Cs3 / Need Help With Downloading

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.