Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,072 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:11 AM

Is It A Sin To Bet? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It A Sin To Bet? (17198 Views)

'I Know It's A Sin, Yet I Fall Into It Everytime' / Opinion; Is It Not A Sin To Call The Day That Jesus Died "A Good Friday" ? / Is It A Sin To Style A Haircut? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It A Sin To Bet? by smoothpapuzy(m): 10:30pm On Mar 14, 2015
I have been educated on the gains of venturing into the world of betting. I mean, the cash is cool for I saw a dude today that won 95k with a 100 naira ticket.
I don't want to displease God so please I need your advice. Is it a sin to bet?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by Immanueladebol(m): 11:27pm On Mar 14, 2015
In situatns lyk dz ask urself WWJD.WHAT WILL JESUS DO?If u av The Holy Spirit in u listen to HIM

6 Likes

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by smoothpapuzy(m): 6:34am On Mar 15, 2015
Immanueladebol:
In situatns lyk dz ask urself WWJD.WHAT WILL JESUS DO?If u av The Holy Spirit in u listen to HIM
Thaanks a lot. But you haven't answered my question.

14 Likes

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by eleojo23: 6:52am On Mar 15, 2015
Some things are not spelt out as sin in the Bible but from the effect those things have on your life spiritually or physically, you can know whether it would be pleasing to God or not.
It looks harmless and even enticing to go into betting (which is a form of gambling), but the problem is that you get addicted to it with time and it can take the place of God in your life because it will become your top priority.

Here is a case posted on this forum by someone last year. He says:
"My friend is very addicted to football betting. He spends most of his income on sports betting and he does not win. He is so addicted to it that he can spend his last penny on it. Many times he has confided in me that he will stop it but he still goes on to try it again and lose all his money. He is always broke and does not feed well. The sports betting is destroying his life. He wishes to stop and cut his losses. But he does not know how to overcome the urge. His family and loved ones don't know he is passing through it. How can I help him stop the sports betting because it's ruining his life."

From this story, you can ask yourself: Would God be pleased with this kind of life? Would He want you to waste your resources/money like that? Would it bring glory to His name? The answer to these questions is in the negative.

Therefore, as someone who wants to have a pleasing life before God, you should not go into it. Don't say 'I will do it just once" because that once will lead to another one until you are deep in it and your case will become like that of the man in the example above who I'm sure also started with the mind that he will do it just a few times.

NB: I'm specifically answering the OP's question on betting. The title on the front page has made the topic broader by using the word 'gambling'.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by smoothpapuzy(m): 2:25pm On Mar 15, 2015
[quote author=eleojo23 post=31629840]Some things are not spelt out as sin in the Bible but from the effect those things have on your life spiritually or physically, you can know whether it would be pleasing to God or not.
It looks harmless and even enticing to go into betting (which is a form of gambling), but the problem is that you get addicted to it with time.

"My friend is very addicted to football betting. He spends most of his income on sports betting and he does not win. He is so addicted to it that he can spend his last penny on it. Many times he has confided in me that he will stop it but he still goes on to try it again and lose all his money. He is always broke and does not feed well. The sports betting is destroying his life. He wishes to stop and cut his losses. But he does not know how to overcome the urge. His family and loved ones don't know he is passing
through it. How can I help him stop the sports betting because it's ruining his life."

From this story, you can ask yourself: Would God be pleased with this kind of life? Would He want you to waste your resources/money like that? Would it bring glory to His name? The answer to these questions is in the negative.

So as someone who wants to have a pleasing life before God, you should not go into it. Don't say 'I will do it just once" because that once will lead to another one until you are deep into it. [/quote

Thank you very much brother. God bless you.

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by Sweetguy25: 4:58am On Mar 22, 2015
No it is not a sin. Gambling can be done responsibly and with limits. Its like taking alchohol. It is fine if you drink alchohol very responsibly but bad when you take it too much.
The same rule applies to gambling.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by Untrollable: 4:59am On Mar 22, 2015
eleojo23:
Some things are not spelt out as sin in the Bible but from the effect those things have on your life spiritually or physically, you can know whether it would be pleasing to God or not.
It looks harmless and even enticing to go into betting (which is a form of gambling), but the problem is that you get addicted to it with time.

"My friend is very addicted to football betting. He spends most of his income on sports betting and he does not win. He is so addicted to it that he can spend his last penny on it. Many times he has confided in me that he will stop it but he still goes on to try it again and lose all his money. He is always broke and does not feed well. The sports betting is destroying his life. He wishes to stop and cut his losses. But he does not know how to overcome the urge. His family and loved ones don't know he is passing
through it. How can I help him stop the sports betting because it's ruining his life."

So as someone who wants to have a pleasing life before God, you should not go into it. Don't say 'I will do it just once" because that once will lead to another one until you are deep into it.

8 Likes

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by 3rdeye1(m): 4:59am On Mar 22, 2015
No, it's a blessing! Contunu....
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by Nobody: 5:02am On Mar 22, 2015
Most men of God would persist its a sin & ask you stop a$ap,for God's mercy.
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by Ezenwa11(m): 5:04am On Mar 22, 2015
smoothpapuzy:
I have been educated on the gains of venturing into the world of betting. I mean, the cash is cool for I saw a dude today that won 95k with a 100 naira ticket.
I don't want to displease God so please I need your advice. Is it a sin to bet?
Abeg link me with the dude. Make we dey do combine business.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by LordVoldemort(m): 5:04am On Mar 22, 2015

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by waistaa(f): 5:09am On Mar 22, 2015
What sort of gambling are you talking about because life decisions can be seen as gambling,you going to buy products to resell aint it gambling coz you wan to make more money to meet up with necessary things,my people say "ana eji ego achu ego" ( you use money to get money). My dear let's live our life the way we (by conscience) feel is good and stop invoking what doesn't concern us.thank you

21 Likes

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by onyeuka: 5:10am On Mar 22, 2015
Not a sin
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by gerrardomendes(m): 5:10am On Mar 22, 2015
Where is dis popcorn seller?

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by slap1(m): 5:11am On Mar 22, 2015
Yes it's a sin. How do you think the person whose loss becomes your gain would feel?

As a Christian, should your gain come from someone's loss, sadness, regret and misfortune? When you gamble, you're actually praying for someone to lose money. (E good?)

Think about it.
Exodus 20 vs 17
"Do not desire another man's house; do not desire his wife, his slaves, his cattle, his donkeys, or anything else that he owns."

8 Likes

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by kelch19(m): 5:13am On Mar 22, 2015
Its a sin and irresponsible to gamble...u can never see a responsible or man of God gambling..
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by Samirana360(m): 5:15am On Mar 22, 2015
It's nt even acceptable in society...it is a sin bro

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by Woged2005(f): 5:18am On Mar 22, 2015
But every business is gambling including some church business (investing on ventures with some level of risk and uncertainties. Sometime you win, sometime you lose). Pastors open churches not knowing how many people will be converted and join the church (risk). People may join or may not join leaving a 50-50 chances (gambling) So who really has the right to call another a 'sinner'?

Sometime I feel that the way majority of Africans have hard time comprehending how a cellphone works, how Airplanes fly, and how a spacecraft is launched, same way they don't comprehend foreign religion. Therefore they simply use it 'cut & join', and out of over over-zealousness over-do things. If we Africans really grasp the concept of 'God is Love', there will be no outrageous level of poverty, corruption, wars, militancy, massacres and wickedness on the continent. Honestly, call me naive, I don't let an African preach to me.

Does a liar have the right to call a thief a 'sinner'?

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by tempem: 5:19am On Mar 22, 2015
Money is good! But the love of money is bad!

Greed leads to the excessive love of money....

And greediness is a sin.

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by fr3do(m): 5:20am On Mar 22, 2015
One reason why I'm very worried about gambling is that no wealth is created, nothing is produced, money is just moving from one hand to the other.
And it isn't a mystery that one would less judiciously spend money won from gambling than earned money.
Thats decreased net productivity for a society.

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by blym4real: 5:21am On Mar 22, 2015
slap1:
Yes it's a sin. How do you think the person whose loss becomes your gain would feel?

As a Christian, should your gain come from someone's loss, sadness, regret and misfortune?

Think about it.
If your immediate boss was sacked and you were promoted to his position, won't you take it?

12 Likes

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by tundeotunba(m): 5:22am On Mar 22, 2015

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by tundeotunba(m): 5:23am On Mar 22, 2015
Yes it is a sin. It is an abomination to some culture nd beliefs sef. Islamic Scholars explains it to be like sleeping with one's Mum in an holy and open place like Mecca. Enuff great curses sef, but this Generation? Na God go forgive Us o because some take gambling as work o. Loose or Win na more sin because gamblings' gain is good for frolicking(more sin) nd if U loose, downcast and some engage in criminal acts (stealing) to retrieve some money

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by blym4real: 5:24am On Mar 22, 2015
tempem:
Money is good! But the love of money is bad!

Greed leads to the excessive love of money....

And greediness is a sin.

Excessive love of money is bad. Who doesn't love money?
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by slap1(m): 5:25am On Mar 22, 2015
blym4real:

If your immediate boss was sacked and you were promoted to his position, won't you take it?
I'm convinced you know your analogy is not related to this, unless you orchestrated your boss' sack!

5 Likes

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by Nobody: 5:26am On Mar 22, 2015
space booked
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by blym4real: 5:28am On Mar 22, 2015
slap1:
I'm convinced you know your analogy is not related to this, unless you orchestrated your boss' sack!
As a Christian, should
your gain come from
someone's loss,
sadness, regret and
misfortune?
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by Iykebestbt(m): 5:28am On Mar 22, 2015
No it's a blessing
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by tempem: 5:29am On Mar 22, 2015
blym4real:

Excessive love of money is bad. Who doesn't love money?

That's what gambling spirit portrays, you'll focus all your attentions on money- In most cases no stress attached.

All one will be day dreaming is how you just get a huge certain amount of money.....

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by khassy(m): 5:29am On Mar 22, 2015
I was here
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by blym4real: 5:31am On Mar 22, 2015
Most people here don't know the type of gambling the op is reffering to. for clarification, what the op meant by gambling is sport betting.
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by ifeomaekol(f): 5:33am On Mar 22, 2015
Whatever that takes the place of God in your life is a sin, moderation is the key to everything. Life itself is a bet, if u become addicted to anything that it stops your good reasoning its a sin.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Pastor Adeboye: If You Are Afraid Of Death At 70, Check Your Salvation / Why Is Sexual Sin Devil's Most Powerful Weapon? / If Your Bride Price Is Not Paid You Can Never See God- Female Preacher(video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.