Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,600 members, 7,812,958 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:51 PM

The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts (24880 Views)

Time To End The Bad Blood Between The Yorubas And Ndigbo - Femi Aribisala / Time To End The Bad Blood Between The Yorubas And Ndigbo - Femi Aribisala / The Pharaohs Of Ika And Ovie Agas Misled Okowa With Demonic Advise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by pazienza(m): 6:38pm On May 30, 2015
Onegai:
Tears of pride at my Ika boys. Ewwwww!! Where were una when I wan marry, before one urhobo man snatched me, ehhh

But jokes apart, I don't get the modern Igbo stance. More than half of the people you are claiming (so far, on this thread they have mentioned my family and extended family) DO NOT wish to be associated and aligned with you. Why o why do you persist in such aggression?

That's like me leaving my hubby's house to be dragging over my neighbour who continually tells me he doesn't want me. Why? We respect the Igbo and wish them well, but DO NOT WANT TO BE ALIGNED WITH THEM OR CLAIM THEIR HERITAGE, how can that be a thorn in their flesh?

Even my FIL (an elderly man and a very old legal practioner) stated clearly that Ika aren't Igbo (and he handled cases in the area, h should know), so why all this wahala? My elderly mum said it was Ika when they came to Lagos that wanted to curry favour with Igbos, that started naming their kids with Igbo names, she swears she never grew up with any Amakas, Ifeanyis or Uches until after the Civil war (and she should know, she nearly ended up being an Ika Queen and her father was prominent). Ika names and last names are still found in Edo state, but I am yet to see one in the East.

@rexburton please one small point: you said owa/Agbor people claim descent from the East. That's not true as my grandmother passed away at 104 and I asked her this question and she was very clear the Agbor/Owa are NOT from the East. I choose to believe a woman who lived from that era than someone probably even younger than me.

But noooo. That is not enough for you. Please let us be, we have our own identity. Be assured, everyone respects you but enough of this claiming.

And where's that poster that put up proper Ika names, remind me to send you one very pretty Ika geh as reward. ; D

Also, which of you is from a prominent Ika family, let us betrothe our children now (because their papa is using style to try and marry them off to his Urhobo chiefs and I'm just giving him side-eye).

This lady is suffering from serious Igbophobia. She was probably dumped by an Nwafor.

3 Likes

Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by PabloAfricanus(m): 6:48pm On May 30, 2015
Macelliot:

We know that....
Ika is a distinct ethnic group so as Ukwuani.
My point is that, there are also Igbo group in Anioma apart from Ika and Ukwuani....
I mean Anioma comprises of Igbo, Ukwuani and Ika....

Sorry but I beg to disagree.
In this century ethnic groups and tribes are already cast in stone. Recent and contemporary history can always be consulted to ascertain the roots and origins of any group of people...to a large extent.
The Ikas and Aniomas ARE IGBOID groups.
Its not that there are Igbos ALONGSIDE Ikas and Ukwuanis in Anioma.
Whether they want to identify as Igbos is another matter entirely and their business at the end of the day.
But historical fallacies will not and should not be allowed to stand. Its just like the North Americas denying their British heritage...claiming they actually came from Japan.
...While speaking English and having British/English traditions.
A whole shipload of shared history will have to be rewritten to accomodate that idea.
Its not about who they declare themselves to be...or who they identify as.
All studies, researches by independent scholars have established that fact...from Aboh, Ukwuani, Asaba, Aniocha, Isseles, Owa, Agbor...they're all IGBOID groups. You'll have to rewrite centuries of shared history and spoken languages to tag them as anything else.
It will also be historical fraud to fail to recognize the predominant Igbo element across the length and breadth of Ika/Anioma/Ukwuani/Enuani land.
Its not about their claims to Bini or Igalla origin as their are clearly Bini/Igalla settlers among them who have since acculturated.
The distinct groups in their midst they call the "Ebus"...the Yoruba Olukumis and the Igallas...till today still speak their language and practice their customs with minimal Igbo influence.
Let them bring forth evidence in their language and customs to justify their rewrite of known history.
Till date Bini historians have failed to recognize the mythological origins attributed to them by an Igbo speaking people flung as far as Oguta and Onitsha.
The few I've asked find it amusing and only are aware of the borrowed kingship traditions.
Its pathetic really.
Contemporary and shared history will not be falsified to satisfy the inferior complex issues of some low self esteem folks.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by Kagawa10: 7:57pm On May 30, 2015
PabloAfricanus:

Sorry but I beg to disagree.
In this century ethnic groups and tribes are already cast in stone. Recent and contemporary history can always be consulted to ascertain the roots and origins of any group of people...to a large extent.
The Ikas and Aniomas ARE IGBOID groups.
Its not that there are Igbos ALONGSIDE Ikas and Ukwuanis in Anioma.
Whether they want to identify as Igbos is another matter entirely and their business at the end of the day.
But historical fallacies will not and should not be allowed to stand. Its just like the North Americas denying their British heritage...claiming they actually came from Japan.
...While speaking English and having British/English traditions.
A whole shipload of shared history will have to be rewritten to accomodate that idea.
Its not about who they declare themselves to be...or who they identify as.
All studies, researches by independent scholars have established that fact...from Aboh, Ukwuani, Asaba, Aniocha, Isseles, Owa, Agbor...they're all IGBOID groups. You'll have to rewrite centuries of shared history and spoken languages to tag them as anything else.
It will also be historical fraud to fail to recognize the predominant Igbo element across the length and breadth of Ika/Anioma/Ukwuani/Enuani land.
Its not about their claims to Bini or Igalla origin as their are clearly Bini/Igalla settlers among them who have since acculturated.
The distinct groups in their midst they call the "Ebus"...the Yoruba Olukumis and the Igallas...till today still speak their language and practice their customs with minimal Igbo influence.
Let them bring forth evidence in their language and customs to justify their rewrite of known history.
Till date Bini historians have failed to recognize the mythological origins attributed to them by an Igbo speaking people flung as far as Oguta and Onitsha.
The few I've asked find it amusing and only are aware of the borrowed kingship traditions.
Its pathetic really.
Contemporary and shared history will not be falsified to satisfy the inferior complex issues of some low self esteem folks.
What is this one sayin?
Take the itshekiri for example, they speak adulterated yoruba but have their ancestry with the binis! So get it into your skull that ethnicity isn't determined by language but by ancestry!
Even then, the Ikas and Ukwuanis wants their own identity, just like the Itshekiris had theirs! Today, the Itshekiris are neither Binis eventhough they have ancenstry with them nor Yorubas eventhough they speak yorubid language!
The Ikas and Ukwuanis have ancenstry with the binis but speak igboid language. However, they want to have their identity/tribes and you ibos should respect it, just like the yorubas respect the Itshekiris!
Why can't you ibos get it for once? Does someone have to spoonfeed you?

4 Likes

Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by Duru1(m): 8:15pm On May 30, 2015
rexbuton:
So historically, the Igbos have no claim whatsover to Ika..
there are striking similarities between Agbor words and bini's. for instance, ihogbe, ihaekpen quarters are extremely similar to ihogbe and ehaekpen quarters in present day benin.. The argument that the Ika language is similar to the Igbos is partially due to trade, migrations and cultural mixing considering the proximity of the areas . In fact, i believe that language is not a sufficient and fool-proof index to ascertain ethnic origin or cultural homogeneity/heterogeneity

The history of Agbor like other communities is based on oral tradition. Popular oral account of the community therefore traces its origin to Ogunagbon, the believed founder of Agbor who left Benin with his followers and first settled in Ominijie, located in present Agbor Nta (Emeka Esogbue, 2008). This makes Agbor Nta Agbor’s oldest settlement. One of his chiefs was to later settle in an area known as Agbon. The word “Agbon” means “Earth” or “Land”. Agbor remains the largest of Ika communities with close geographical location to Benin City. Its constant wars with Benin are well-known. This may have also accounted for its consideration as the “most politically and militarily powerful of all Ika clans as recorded by Chukwu Ebuka and Iwueze Awele Success. The wars which lasted until the 19th century may have also swelled the military prowess of the community and helped to make it a force to reckon with within the Ika nation (Simpson, 1936). There is therefore no doubt that within the period under study, Agbor remained the headache of the Benin Kingdom until the 18th century.

[b]The Legendary Benin Historian, Joseph Egharevba dismissively presented Agbor as a Benin vassal whose Chief (Obi/Dein) was in constant rebellion against the Benin Kingdom to the extent that the Kingdom had to take steps to bring the situation under control[b]. Egherevba gave account of how Oba Orhogbua authorized one of his generals, Agbon to restore peace at all cost. Agbon then captured Idigi territory which he renamed Agbon later corrupted to “Agbor”. The people of Agbor as a result of this development were compelled to maintain the hard sought loyalty to Benin but this was only short-lived as they again revolted this time during the reign of Oba Ovoramwen. As we were again told, Agbor was to be severely punished but for the 1897 conquest of Benin by the British forces and consequent capture of Oba Ovoramwen.[/b]

Why would any sane person fight to capture what is his or her? Nigerians and their silly illogicalities are mind burgling.

1 Like

Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by PabloAfricanus(m): 8:27pm On May 30, 2015
Kagawa10:

What is this one sayin?
Take the itshekiri for example, they speak adulterated yoruba but have their ancestry with the binis! So get it into your skull that ethnicity isn't determined by language but by ancestry!
Even then, the Ikas and Ukwuanis wants their own identity, just like the Itshekiris had theirs! Today, the Itshekiris are neither Binis eventhough they have ancenstry with them nor Yorubas eventhough they speak yorubid language!
The Ikas and Ukwuanis have ancenstry with the binis but speak igboid language. However, they want to have their identity/tribes and you ibos should respect it, just like the yorubas respect the Itshekiris!

Dude I'm a student of African history and I don't have to be Igbo to research history.
I've asked my Igbo friends to give me instances of where Igbos are forcing their identities on any of their neighbours...none instance was cited.
I've looked up Anioma forums and groups and asked a few questions as to Igbo "claims" and all that...none could be substantiated. The only meaningful response I got was the complain about Igbos buying properties which some natives found threatening...can't fault that.
I don't know of anyone who will standby and watch another person denounce them publicly. Initially I thought the Igbos were claiming some of the oil revenues from the Niger delta or claiming some parts of Anioma land...but that was not the case.
I've also not read in any publication of the Igbos directly or indirectly forcing their identity on any Anioma/Ika group.
The much I've heard is the loud and stiff denials by Ikas when they tell other ethnic groups they're not Igbos.
If I were Igbo, I'd take offense. No one send you message.
That a people speaking Igbo, bearing Igbo names and practicing Igbo traditions are shameless enough to declare that "ethnicity is determined by ancestry not language" shows there is something funny afoot.
The Italians and Dutch in New York retain their native names while being acculturated into the broader English/British setting.
The ancestral history of the Itshekiris is clear for all to see.
There are no mixtures with Bini that confuse the core Yoruba origin and language.
The Olukumis still speak their Yoruba language that is still intelligible to westerners.
The Ebus still hold on to their Igalla roots and so on.
Nothing to deny or defend.
Why are you offended when Igbos point out to you that you speak Igbo and bear Igbo names?
When did Igbos colonize and conquer you lots?
Why do you feel inferior to the extent of emphasizing more of Bini influences than your 95% Igbo origins?
But these are people who have known you Ikas for centuries...even before the Europeans came calling. Have you forgotten that?
And yes you're free to identify with Martians if that floats your boat...but don't go falsifying shared history. That's where I personally take offense.
The bulk of you folks have Igbo origins...you can intelligently prove otherwise...or concoct some other funny Bini migration story and face the taunts.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by rexbuton: 9:10pm On May 30, 2015
Ika people don't care about their origins anymore.. They care about their present and future. They want their own state so they can develop their areas.. So no attache by force to either binis or igbos

2 Likes

Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by Kagawa10: 9:35pm On May 30, 2015
PabloAfricanus:

Dude I'm a student of African history and I don't have to be Igbo to research history.
I've asked my Igbo friends to give me instances of where Igbos are forcing their identities on any of their neighbours...none instance was cited.
I've looked up Anioma forums and groups and asked a few questions as to Igbo "claims" and all that...none could be substantiated. The only meaningful response I got was the complain about Igbos buying properties which some natives found threatening...can't fault that.
I don't know of anyone who will standby and watch another person denounce them publicly. Initially I thought the Igbos were claiming some of the oil revenues from the Niger delta or claiming some parts of Anioma land...but that was not the case.
I've also not read in any publication of the Igbos directly or indirectly forcing their identity on any Anioma/Ika group.
The much I've heard is the loud and stiff denials by Ikas when they tell other ethnic groups they're not Igbos.
If I were Igbo, I'd take offense. No one send you message.
That a people speaking Igbo, bearing Igbo names and practicing Igbo traditions are shameless enough to declare that "ethnicity is determined by ancestry not language" shows there is something funny afoot.
The Italians and Dutch in New York retain their native names while being acculturated into the broader English/British setting.
The ancestory line of the Itshekiris is clear for all to see.
There are no mixtures with Bini that confuse the core Yoruba origin and language
The Olukumis still speak their Yoruba language that is still intelligible to westerners.
The Ebus still hold on to their Igalla roots and so on.
Nothing to deny or defend.
Why are you offended when Igbos point out to you that you speak Igbo and bear Igbo names?
When did Igbos colonize and conquer you lots?
Why do you feel inferior to the extent of emphasizing more of Bini influences than your 95% Igbo origins?
But these are people who have known you Ikas for centuries...even before the Europeans came calling. Have you forgotten that?
And yes you're free to identify with Martians if that floats your boat...but don't go falsifying shared history. That's where I personally take offense.
The bulk of you folks have Igbo origins...you can intelligently prove otherwise...or concoct some other funny Bini migration story and face the taunts.
It seems you don't still get it.
Just like the Ikas and Ukwuanis, the Itshekiri has their ancestry with the binis!
Just like the Ikas and Ukwuanis, the Itshekiri do not speak core bini language!
Just like the Ikas and Ukwuani, the Itshekiri mixes their bini language with another language!
Just like the Ikas and Ukwuani, majority of the Itshekiri don't bear bini names!
But Today, the Itshekiri has their own identity. They are neither bini nor Yorubas.
The Yorubas could have laid claim to them based on the reason you wrote, e.g, names, language e.t.c. But the Yoruba respect the Itshekiri choice and the ibos should do likewise!
Is that too difficult to understand?
Ika itself is Eka, shortened from Ekadohlor which is a bini word! Ibos should leave the Ikas and Ukwuani alone, they are neither bini nor Ibo!

2 Likes

Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by PabloAfricanus(m): 10:23pm On May 30, 2015
Kagawa10:

It seems you don't still get it.
Just like the Ikas and Ukwuanis, the Itshekiri has their ancestry with the binis!
Just like the Ikas and Ukwuanis, the Itshekiri do not speak core bini language!
Just like the Ikas and Ukwuani, the Itshekiri mixes their bini language with another language!
Just like the Ikas and Ukwuani, majority of the Itshekiri don't bear bini names!
But Today, the Itshekiri has their own identity. They are neither bini nor Yorubas.
The Yorubas could have laid claim to them based on the reason you wrote, e.g, names, language e.t.c. But the Yoruba respect the Itshekiri choice and the ibos should do likewise!
Is that too difficult to understand?
Ika itself is Eka, shortened from Ekadohlor which is a bini word! Ibos should leave the Ikas and Ukwuani alone, they are neither bini nor Ibo!

You are actually mixing up two different things.
Or maybe you're confused as to the meaning of the word "ancestry".
Kagawa10:

Just like the Ikas and Ukwuanis, the Itshekiri....
The above does not apply in the case of Ukwuanis and Ikas...in my opinion.
The Itshekiri have a unique Ijebu dialect intelligible to some extent to Ijebu and Oyo speakers.
The Itshekiris merely adopted a Bini prince Ginuwa as their monarch.
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/opinion/150473-the-itsekiris-rich-history-and-their-bond-with-the-yoruba-by-eric-teniola.html
He was neither the progenitor nor founder of the Itshekiri clan/kingdom.
I leave it to you to look up that part of their history.
Ancestry in this case means that the Itshekiris migrated from Bini or was founded by Bini people which is clearly not the case.
No vassal or direct offshoot of the ancient Bini empire calls their king "Olu" or speaks an Ilaje dialect.

It is well known that Bini hegemony spread far and wide to the extent that their princes were adopted/installed as monarchs
by other groups who held them in awe. A case in point is the Eleko of Eko stool currently occupied by the now famous Oba Akiolu.
The family line came directly from Esikpa or (Yorubanized to Asipa) a Bini prince adopted by the Awori indigenes.
All occupants of that stool...the Kosokos, Akitoyes,Dosumus etc...all were under Bini suzerainty and paid tribute to Bini.
The indigenes were Awori who came from Ife. The spoken language was Yoruba, the tradition and customs was Yoruba till date.
Only the stool and the installation of the occupant was was controlled from Bini.

The Ikas and Ukwuanis on the other hand can lay no claim to such an "ancestry". That will be a historical fallacy.
Your spoken language from time immemorial has always been Igbo, your Obis, Ezes, Ikengas, Okpala Ukus, ote ofes,Diokpas and
all the paraphernalia of your traditions clearly indicate an Igbo group. That's not difficult to verify.
Which Bini prince did you lots adopt? Which Bini language were you speaking before the Igbos supplanted your ancient Bini tongue?
Which Bini man or prince "migrated" from Bini to found Ika and Ukwuani...only to abandon your "superior" culture and tradition for "inferior"
Igbo traditions? Atleast thats how you present it.

To the best of my knowledge the SE Igbos are only reminding you what is on ground and what has been.
You are the ones claiming and disclaiming origins.
When did Igbos advertise for anyone to start speaking Igbo?
Or maybe your great-great-great-grand fathers used to travel to Igbo land to learn the language?
Or maybe you dont want to tell us the shameful hidden history of how the Igbos chased away your Bini forbears and
forced you to start speaking Igbo? huh?
It gets ridiculous.
That some settlers came from Bini, Igalla and environs cannot be disputed.
That Bini traditions and customs were "adopted" by the Ikas and Ukwuanis can also not be disputed.
But dont present the fallacy of "zero Igbo" presence in Ukwuani or Ika land.
Your Igboness is visible from a thousand miles. The majority of the hawkers in the Lagos traffic I'm reliably informed are Okrika and Anioma
boys...you need to listen to them talk to identify the Igbo dialect.
I have asked even my friends from Agbor why they bear Igbo names and all that.
None of them could give me any meaningful response pertaining to their reported non-Igboness.
Why create the confusion then?
Why not stick to your Bini ancestry?
Who introduced anything Igbo into your midst...since you detest them so much?
Why not start now and end the confusion? Leave anything Igbo alone and do your thing, that way no one will confuse you for Igbos.
As for that Ekadolor line...come up with something better.

11 Likes

Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by PabloAfricanus(m): 10:32pm On May 30, 2015
rexbuton:
Ika people don't care about their origins anymore.. They care about their present and future. They want their own state so they can develop their areas.. So no attache by force to either binis or igbos
You are funny.
"Attache by force" How?
Are the SE Igbos adopting your "Bini" customs and language?
Are they contesting ownership of any lands with you?
Are they applying to receive any benefits accrued to the Ikas and Ukwuanis
You are the ones attaching by force.
Igbo names, Igbo dialect, Okpala Ukus, Diokpas, Iwa Gi/Ji, Ezes, Obis,Ikengas...long list of Igboness.
Who send una message?
All I see is business minded Igbo folks hustling it out anywhere they find themselves. I dont think they give a dam.n that much
about Ikas and their wonderful Bini origins.
The confusion starts when you mention your name or start speaking your Bini language.
What they hear is just another dialect of Igbo...and being the emotional busy bodies that they are they probably want to reach out.
If I were rebuffed by my cousins bearing the same surname...I'd find that funny too.
Don't you think so?

3 Likes

Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by Macelliot(m): 2:05pm On Jun 01, 2015
Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by Macelliot(m): 2:18pm On Jun 01, 2015
rexbuton:
Cc: Kagawa10, Onegai

We cannot force you and We WILL NEVER force you to be Igbo...

Ika likewise Ukwuani is a distinct ethnic groups of their own...
If throughly this view of yours is the view of the majorities, then The Ikas and the Ukwuanis greatess mistake is allowing an Igbo Man from Asaba (Chief Dennis Osadebey) to merge you guys into 'his Anioma's dream'....

The best thing you guys can do is to start disassociating yourself from Anioma State ...
http://www.asaba.com/about/

https://www.nairaland.com/529305/asagba-asaba-proud-igbo-son

2 Likes

Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by Macelliot7(m): 2:38pm On Jun 01, 2015
Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by HopeAtHand: 3:02pm On Jun 01, 2015
cheruv:
enemies of Igbo land bringing up theories why our great imperial state shouldn't stand angry
ika has always been and would remain part of the Igbo realm cheesy no matter how hard people like rexbutton try.take a good look again at our realm and its flag grin

This your dreaming-map seem to include Ikwerreland.

Cheruv, you and your lots seriously should have your heads examined.

Ikwerre are on firmly on a march and no biafea can stop our groove.
Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by cheruv: 7:40pm On Jun 03, 2015
HopeAtHand:

This your dreaming-map seem to include Ikwerreland.

Cheruv, you and your lots seriously should have your heads examined.

Ikwerre are on firmly on a march and no biafea can stop our groove.
please point out the place labelled ikwerre lemme cut it out. If by chance you're eyeing etche, please remove your eyes before some overzealous igbo soldiers invade those 4 poor LGs you've angry

1 Like

Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by pazienza(m): 7:50pm On Jun 03, 2015
cheruv:
please point out the place labelled ikwerre lemme cut it out. If by chance you're eyeing etche, please remove your eyes before some overzealous igbo soldiers invade those 4 poor LGs you've angry

Pay him no attention. He is a Yoruba man, he has no right to speak for the Ikwerres.

Sometimes, he even forgets that he is supposed to be an Ikwerre man, a SS man for that matter, his Yoruba nature overdrives him. Watch him call his supposedly fellow SS people losers here. https://www.nairaland.com/2352354/well-renegotiate-coexistence-nigeria-ijaw/1#34343211
*grins*

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by HopeAtHand: 8:24pm On Jun 03, 2015
cheruv:

Hehehehehehehe biko lekwanu Cheruv cheesy cheesy

Bia, nwokem gàà submit onwe gi na ulo ndi ara.
Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by bright87: 8:44pm On Jun 03, 2015
Let's think people...
So migration made the Ika ppl to all of a sudden starts speaking Igbo and forgot about their bini tradition, heritage, culture language?

For example; my cousins were all born in Lagos and didn't migrate to Lagos, so funny they all speak Igbo very well and Yoruba but more inclined towards the Igbo cultures, language and traditions.. But here the Ika ppl claim to forget about their bini tradition and heritage and choose the Igbo heritage due to migration !!!

Ika ppl should stop deceiving themselves coz I was born and brought up in the heart of Benin but the Binis see the Ika and Igbo speaking part of edo state as outcast.. So Ika ppl stop fooling ur selves.

Am Anioma and I see myself as proudly Igbo. Your language and culture as a people tells where you are from.. No set of ppl can all of a sudden forget their heritage due to migration. Have been living abroad for about 10yrs now but I still cook ogbono soup and all Nigerian food. I speak English and my local language... So u see ? Migration doesn't make u forget ur identity nor heritage. The Biafra war was a sad tale for we igbos but that doesn't mean we shud deny our identity. Guess if Biafra had won the war these same Ika ppl wud claim Igbo.

Ika, Agbor, Igbanke, umunede.. All these are name of places and their language is Igbo just difference intinuation/dialect from our brodas in the east and as such it's wrong to say u speak Ika or Agbor.. It's just like a Yoruba man saying he speaks Ore or ijebu.

Let's stop deceiving ourselves as the language and culture of a people defines their origin.

I sign off now !!!
Bless...

5 Likes

Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jun 03, 2015
IGBOSON1:

^^^Listen mate! Nobody is forcing you guys to join up with the larger Igbo nation; you guys are more than welcome to team up with the Binis or Yorubas to form your own country in the event of a split! If there are some dissenting voices amongst you that would prefer to side with the Igbo cause, then a referendum will resolve the matter!

So try and stop feeling so self-important....you're starting to sound pathetic!
exactly my brother these people are beginning to make me sick to the extent that I now see them as Hausa/Fulani.

1 Like

Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by cheruv: 8:58pm On Jun 03, 2015
HopeAtHand:

Hehehehehehehe biko lekwanu Cheruv cheesy cheesy

Bia, nwokem gàà submit onwe gi na ulo ndi ara.
M nyefe onwem n'ulo ara amazim ihe a gaeme gi kporo onwe gi asi? angry
Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by xmich(m): 9:27pm On Jun 03, 2015
rexbuton:
there are striking similarities between Agbor words and bini's. for instance, ihogbe, ihaekpen quarters are extremely similar to ihogbe and ehaekpen quarters in present day benin.. The argument that the Ika language is similar to the Igbos is partially due to trade, migrations and cultural mixing considering the proximity of the areas . In fact, i believe that language is not a sufficient and fool-proof index to ascertain ethnic origin or cultural homogeneity/heterogeneity

The history of Agbor like other communities is based on oral tradition. Popular oral account of the community therefore traces its origin to Ogunagbon, the believed founder of Agbor who left Benin with his followers and first settled in Ominijie, located in present Agbor Nta (Emeka Esogbue, 2008). This makes Agbor Nta Agbor’s oldest settlement. One of his chiefs was to later settle in an area known as Agbon. The word “Agbon” means “Earth” or “Land”. Agbor remains the largest of Ika communities with close geographical location to Benin City. Its constant wars with Benin are well-known. This may have also accounted for its consideration as the “most politically and militarily powerful of all Ika clans as recorded by Chukwu Ebuka and Iwueze Awele Success. The wars which lasted until the 19th century may have also swelled the military prowess of the community and helped to make it a force to reckon with within the Ika nation (Simpson, 1936). There is therefore no doubt that within the period under study, Agbor remained the headache of the Benin Kingdom until the 18th century.

The Legendary Benin Historian, Joseph Egharevba dismissively presented Agbor as a Benin vassal whose Chief (Obi/Dein) was in constant rebellion against the Benin Kingdom to the extent that the Kingdom had to take steps to bring the situation under control. Egherevba gave account of how Oba Orhogbua authorized one of his generals, Agbon to restore peace at all cost. Agbon then captured Idigi territory which he renamed Agbon later corrupted to “Agbor”. The people of Agbor as a result of this development were compelled to maintain the hard sought loyalty to Benin but this was only short-lived as they again revolted this time during the reign of Oba Ovoramwen. As we were again told, Agbor was to be severely punished but for the 1897 conquest of Benin by the British forces and consequent capture of Oba Ovoramwen.

So what exactly are you trying to say "we are not Igbo" I think you are high on kaikai soaked weed
Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by xmich(m): 9:28pm On Jun 03, 2015
rexbuton:

The Legendary Benin Historian, Joseph Egharevba dismissively presented Agbor as a Benin vassal whose Chief (Obi/Dein) was in constant rebellion against the Benin Kingdom to the extent that the Kingdom had to take steps to bring the situation under control. Egherevba gave account of how Oba Orhogbua authorized one of his generals, Agbon to restore peace at all cost. Agbon then captured Idigi territory which he renamed Agbon later corrupted to “Agbor”. The people of Agbor as a result of this development were compelled to maintain the hard sought loyalty to Benin but this was only short-lived as they again revolted this time during the reign of Oba Ovoramwen. As we were again told, Agbor was to be severely punished but for the 1897 conquest of Benin by the British forces and consequent capture of Oba Ovoramwen.

So what exactly are you trying to say "we are not Igbo" I think you are high on kaikai soaked weed.
Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by xmich(m): 9:38pm On Jun 03, 2015
SOHKAHTOA:
This topic is germaine to me in particular. Am an ika speaking person in present Edo, Igbanke to be precise. I can't claim origin of Igbo,however I am more at home with them because of the language similarity. There is this internal feeling of homogeneity with people of Edo extracts, binis and ishans but for the language dissimilarity. All said, everybody originated from somewhere hence we shouldn't hold on to antiquity and continually subject ourselves to identity crisis. What is most expedient for the ika clans is a reunion with hearts of forgiveness for one another while forging a common front for ethnic identity of their own. All ikas both in Delta( majority) and Edo(minority) should look for a way to come together to promote their uniqueness as an independent tribe.

For all I know "i am a full blooded Igbo" ,and rep Ika.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by xmich(m): 9:59pm On Jun 03, 2015
tonychristopher:

Maybe the ika especially the agbor have forgotten the owerri migration

How come the ika speak a dialect of igbo

To be honest I do not love talking about this identity confusion of ika that's why I have been ignoring this thread

As far as am concern is op is not talking on our behalf

2 Likes

Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by tonychristopher: 9:41am On Jun 04, 2015
then you have to correct him pls..one bad apple has the ability of spoiling the whole bunch
xmich:

As far as am concern is op is not talking on our behalf

1 Like

Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by tonychristopher: 9:44am On Jun 04, 2015
your a true son of ur father...you cant allow these benin migrants to soil your name..i have never seen where migrants define identity for true born

xmich:

For all I know "i am a full blooded Igbo" ,and rep Ika.

2 Likes

Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by tonychristopher: 9:45am On Jun 04, 2015
xmich:

So what exactly are you trying to say "we are not Igbo" I think you are high on kaikai soaked weed.

here kaikai soaked weed is called monkey tail or odu enwe lol

1 Like

Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by tonychristopher: 10:20am On Jun 04, 2015
superb

PabloAfricanus:

You are actually mixing up two different things.
Or maybe you're confused as to the meaning of the word "ancestry".

The above does not apply in the case of Ukwuanis and Ikas...in my opinion.
The Itshekiri have a unique Ijebu dialect intelligible to some extent to Ijebu and Oyo speakers.
The Itshekiris merely adopted a Bini prince Ginuwa as their monarch.
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/opinion/150473-the-itsekiris-rich-history-and-their-bond-with-the-yoruba-by-eric-teniola.html
He was neither the progenitor nor founder of the Itshekiri clan/kingdom.
I leave it to you to look up that part of their history.
Ancestry in this case means that the Itshekiris migrated from Bini or was founded by Bini people which is clearly not the case.
No vassal or direct offshoot of the ancient Bini empire calls their king "Olu" or speaks an Ilaje dialect.

It is well known that Bini hegemony spread far and wide to the extent that their princes were adopted/installed as monarchs
by other groups who held them in awe. A case in point is the Eleko of Eko stool currently occupied by the now famous Oba Akiolu.
The family line came directly from Esikpa or (Yorubanized to Asipa) a Bini prince adopted by the Awori indigenes.
All occupants of that stool...the Kosokos, Akitoyes,Dosumus etc...all were under Bini suzerainty and paid tribute to Bini.
The indigenes were Awori who came from Ife. The spoken language was Yoruba, the tradition and customs was Yoruba till date.
Only the stool and the installation of the occupant was was controlled from Bini.

The Ikas and Ukwuanis on the other hand can lay no claim to such an "ancestry". That will be a historical fallacy.
Your spoken language from time immemorial has always been Igbo, your Obis, Ezes, Ikengas, Okpala Ukus, ote ofes,Diokpas and
all the paraphernalia of your traditions clearly indicate an Igbo group. That's not difficult to verify.
Which Bini prince did you lots adopt? Which Bini language were you speaking before the Igbos supplanted your ancient Bini tongue?
Which Bini man or prince "migrated" from Bini to found Ika and Ukwuani...only to abandon your "superior" culture and tradition for "inferior"
Igbo traditions? Atleast thats how you present it.

To the best of my knowledge the SE Igbos are only reminding you what is on ground and what has been.
You are the ones claiming and disclaiming origins.
When did Igbos advertise for anyone to start speaking Igbo?
Or maybe your great-great-great-grand fathers used to travel to Igbo land to learn the language?
Or maybe you dont want to tell us the shameful hidden history of how the Igbos chased away your Bini forbears and
forced you to start speaking Igbo? huh?
It gets ridiculous.
That some settlers came from Bini, Igalla and environs cannot be disputed.
That Bini traditions and customs were "adopted" by the Ikas and Ukwuanis can also not be disputed.
But dont present the fallacy of "zero Igbo" presence in Ukwuani or Ika land.
Your Igboness is visible from a thousand miles. The majority of the hawkers in the Lagos traffic I'm reliably informed are Okrika and Anioma
boys...you need to listen to them talk to identify the Igbo dialect.
I have asked even my friends from Agbor why they bear Igbo names and all that.
None of them could give me any meaningful response pertaining to their reported non-Igboness.
Why create the confusion then?
Why not stick to your Bini ancestry?
Who introduced anything Igbo into your midst...since you detest them so much?
Why not start now and end the confusion? Leave anything Igbo alone and do your thing, that way no one will confuse you for Igbos.
As for that Ekadolor line...come up with something better.
Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by nonaira: 10:24am On Jun 04, 2015
Seriously r u ppl still on here arguing about ika when we've had about 3 ika eze demolished the whole argument already. Are una serious?

Here tradition tells us that Ogele or Ogene was the patriarch of our ancestors; but whence he came from we do not know for certain. Even the Benin, who claim him as their own, confess to the mystry of his exact association with them. Better to know the man from his deeds among us, as I have recounted. We believe that early Agbors have some cultural affinity with the East Niger—Igbo people, and that the Edo people as neighbors of Agbor

Language: Agbor spoke the ika dialect akin to other Igbo tongues, but the special vehile of the ika culture end image. It is distinct and dissimilar from Edo language and vice versa, even though some say that Agbor was once under the Oba’s rule. This was so because Benin was the first to acquire firearms from the Portuguese, and with which they terrorized the neighboring states. But this state of affairs lasted for only a short: Agbor liberated themselves before the 18th century. “Oru asuw Igbo; Igbo asuw Ika”: From this saying Agbor appears to be the credits of the Ika dialect and the citadel of Igbo heroes.

Chief A.G.Idwue
Dein of Agbor
Agbor-Obi 1979

http://ikaworld.com/books/Iduwe.History.pdf

Community Development in Owa Kingdom by Efeizomor II (Obi of Owa)
https://books.google.co.uk/books?ei=asn0TfnfJY2q8AOL_IiwBw&ct=result&id=WXouAQAAIAAJ&hl=en

Equally go and read Anioma: Resolving the Identity Crisis by Obi Charles Anyasi of Idumuje unor (obi of idumuje unor) where he loudly attested that they are of Igbo descendant and not Edo as some try to pass.

I don't get how una keep arguing over the same thing repeatedly and ignore the dein and obi of that land that spoke. U ppl have too much time on una hands.

Do ika have Bini people in their community? The answer is yes, yes they do. Some Bini migrated there but are they the original owners of the land? According to the obi's, no. Are the Bini migrants fighting the original for the lands? According to the obi's yes.

Intact this quote from an Ika professor pretty much says it all

That is precisely what I have found in this book. I have studied this book and am convinced that the author has been able to prove that we need not have identity crisis as Anioma people.

Yes, some argue that they came from Benin, but we saw what happened during the Nigerian Civil War; our people suffered. Some of us were young but we saw what happened. Some of the important people in our communities were killed and their goods looted in Benin, as the author reminds us, and you say you are from Benin because one of your great grand fathers was a Benin chief or a king who came down from Benin and came to this part of the world with Benin diplomacy and imposed themselves on a community predominantly Igbo before their arrival.

Osas Egonwa--An Ika professor
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/of-a-people-and-their-roots/137558/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by tonychristopher: 6:24pm On Jun 04, 2015
HOW CAN U SAY ITSHEKIRI SPEAK UNADULTERATED YORUBA...MEN I TIRE..DO YOU KNOW GINUWA

ITSHEKIRI AND UTSEN SPEAKS BENIN MIXED WITH YORUBA...GO AND CALL UTSEN MAN YORUBA AND SEE SLAP ON YOUR FACE

Kagawa10:

What is this one sayin?
Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by pazienza(m): 6:43pm On Jun 04, 2015
Prof Egonwa seem to be of the opinion that Anioma should borrow a leaf from groups like Ogba and Ikwerre, by establishing a distinct ethnic group of their own, outside the Igbo ethnic group. He summed this belief up by saying: " We can't be Igbo, it's too late".

And I ask, how can it be too late for one to be himself. Prof Egonwa is not part of the solution, he is part of the confusion and problem.

1 Like

Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by omojie: 5:10pm On Jun 23, 2015
1. why are igbo people so propagadish , they wont let the ika people be ? ika has rejected igbo long ago and i dont know why they are just bodering themselves , during the civil war , when igbos claimed ika was part of igbo , the ika people rejected them , and so if the chips are down ,majority of ika people know where they belong to and they know they are not igbo .
2. ika people have two languages that is ika -which is a hybrid of edo and igbo with some yoruba and indigenous words added to it , and ozara which is edoid.
3. ika language is dinstinct from igbo , and benin , its is not standard igbo nor is it standard benin , it is a language with 6 to seven dialects . that is why by next year the college of education in agbor will start a department called ika language department, the new testament has been concluded using ika language and the ika dictionary will soon be out .
4. ika ancestors came from several places including benin, ishan, ora, igbo, ndokwa, oshimili, and other areas .
5. ika people sometimes have both first and surnames being benin names such as -------
a. osabor idunorba
b. ikpanmiose igbedion
c. olaye- owabor
and we also have ika people with igbo names as first name and benin names as surnames such as ---------
a. nduka obaigbena
b. nduka irabor
c. ifeanyi eboigbe and others ,
and we also have ika people with english first names and edo surnames such ---
a. steve iwerebor
b. steve omojafor
c. tony omordia .
so that settles the name issue but i bet you that ika people have majority with edo surnames . so are they now edos or because some of them have igbo names , then they are now igbos ? the truth is that we are ika people , we are neither benin nor igbos .
4. in 1930 , bennis told the british that ika people are benins , but we rejected and told the british that ika is not part of any ethnic group in nigeria . and in 1967 , igbos claimed ika and we still rejected and set it right .so there is no way ika can be igbo ,
5. as for culture , ika culture is predominantly edoic , with little part that is from igbo land ,let me give you a list of some of our culture and then you can tell us whether it is igbo or edo culture?-------------------
a. our kingship is from father to son with edaiken as crown prince and we use the uselu style in crwoning our kings .
b. we have three levels of chiefs ,1. palace chiefs, 2. town chiefs and 3. hereditory chiefs.
c. our villages are divided into ebon, idumu and ogbe.
d. our ancestors believed in oselobue as supreme God and ehi as guardian spirit of man .
e. we believe that olokun is the son of God .
f. if a man dies he goes to orinmin -the heavenly world .
g. we believe there are many gods who asisst oselobue such as idigun-god of iron, ohunmweeden, ovia, aja, mkpitimen-god of thunder, araba-god of peace , ali, ikpai and others .
h. we believe that idinwina spirits assist in maintaining other amongst the women folks and forces of nature .
i. we believed in satan called ojuwu and ighionghai as evil spirit.
j. we beieved that our kings are semi-divine and descendants of olokun .
k. we as ika people believed that igue and ibiewere festival is done every year to signify the end of the year and the obi is greeted --- iselogbe .
l. we also perform the iwagi festival to celebrate new yam .

6. the chieftancy titles in ika mostly go by edo names but we also have few that are along the igbo lines and they are recent titles and they dont carry much significance , while the important titles are from the edo lines .

7. let me say that ika language is a distinct language in that , its a hybrid of both edo and igbo languages and as such it would be very absurd for igbos to claim ika is igbo language , even if it is listed as igboid language , it is still different from igbo , it is an ethnicity and language of its own , just like itsekiri can sometimes be said to be yoruboid , but itsekiiri is a seperate ethnic group and language , isoko, uhrobo are said to be edoid , but they are different tribes from benin and they are also distinct languages .but i wonder why igbos cannot exercise the same maturity yorubas and benins use , while not shouting that this is edo and this is this ?
8. ogen edei oku hun ri ari , oku hun le oselobue ri , oku ahun wu ukpe ihian ile ,ukpe ni bia da shia eri banyeni oselobue ,uwe ile , nu eri ukpe ni , ke wen utormin le ndun itebite. this is an example of the ika spoken in owa , we have many other ika dialect , I WILL LIKE AN IGBO PERSON TO INTERPRETE THIS INTO ENGLISH , LETS SEE HOW MUCH YOU KNOW OF IKA ?
finally ika has never in history been an appendage of any tribe whether igbo or benin , we are just ika ethnic group and we will like to be respected like that .and that is why up till date , there is no prominent ika person in ohaneze ndigbo but ika people belong to ogua/onu ika. we acknowledge the migrations of both edo and igbo and others into ika , but as of today we are ika people

2 Likes

Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by Nobody: 7:41pm On Jun 23, 2015
pazienza:
Prof Egonwa seem to be of the opinion that Anioma should borrow a leaf from groups like Ogba and Ikwerre, by establishing a distinct ethnic group of their own, outside the Igbo ethnic group. He summed this belief up by saying: " We can't be Igbo, it's too late".

And I ask, how can it be too late for one to be himself. Prof Egonwa is not part of the solution, he is part of the confusion and problem.

Wait ooooooooooooo, which Egonwa, the Prof that taught us Advanced Drawing and Life Painting in UNIZIK ?

Egonwa is the HOD of Fine and Applied Arts Delsu while his son Dave finished in Unizik Fine Arts in 2007.

Hahahahahahah, the man is not serious forget the gheberish he wrote their

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Gmb's System Of Fighting Corruption $ Gej's Which Is Better / Why PMB Is Silent On Kaduna Killings- Presidency / NBC Directs Broadcasting Stations To Suspend Twitter Handles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 159
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.