Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,036 members, 7,818,060 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:22 AM

Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria (16718 Views)

ICPC Recovers 103 Exotic Vehicles Looted By Government Officials / Why We Can’t Recover Funds Looted By Alison-madueke, Others — Presidency / Why I Allowed Abacha To Arrest Me – Obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by nationwide1(m): 7:18pm On Mar 17, 2015
According to reports, someone said Abacha did not steal any money.

3 Likes

Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by ogirma: 7:18pm On Mar 17, 2015
These Abacha loot no de finish? Fhey keep returning, returning, returning but we don't see dem of here anything about them.
This is made in naija for naija'z
Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by blayz0923: 7:19pm On Mar 17, 2015
And Uncle Jona just asked for $200m bond.......
Issorite!!!!!!!
Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by Bhella5(m): 7:19pm On Mar 17, 2015
TS2:
Why are they even returning it sef when its not like it wont be restolen.
The money is only on paper. It's lost already!
Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by muh4lyf(m): 7:19pm On Mar 17, 2015
I take God beg una,make una no return am naw oooo,if you people try am dem politicians go share am... Chai...

1 Like

Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by Nobody: 7:20pm On Mar 17, 2015
Sirniyeh:

Switzerland will return to Nigeria some $380 million
(360 million euros) linked to ex-dictator Sani Abacha,
Geneva’s public prosecutor said Tuesday, adding that it was closing a 16-year case on the funds.

Abacha ruled oil-rich Nigeria with an iron fist from 1993 until he died in 1998. The economy grew under his rule, though he was seen as extremely corrupt and faced criticism over his human rights abuses in the oil-rich nation.

The decision to return the funds follows a July 2014 deal between Nigeria and the Abacha family. Under the agreement, the funds would be confiscated and returned to Nigeria, while Abuja would drop its case
against the deceased dictator’s son Abba Abacha.

The $380 million had been placed in several accounts
abroad that were controlled by the Abacha family,
which is considered a criminal organisation, the Geneva prosecutors’ office said in a statement.

The money was seized in 2006 in Luxembourg, under
orders from the Swiss authorities. The Abacha family had also placed some $500 million (530 million euros) in Swiss banks, though those funds have already been returned to Nigeria.

The $380 million will be returned under the World
Bank’s supervision, said the prosecutor’s office.
The authorities have also decided to drop their case
against Abba Abacha, which began in 1999.

In 2012, the dictator’s son was handed a one-year
suspended prison sentence for participating in a
criminal organisation.

Switzerland’s top court cancelled the sentence in May
2014, citing procedural reasons. The Geneva prosecutor’s office on Tuesday said Abba Abacha has already been detained for 561 days from 2004 to 2006, without receiving compensation.

The Abacha affair began in 1999, when Nigeria asked the Swiss judicial authorities to help it recover $2.2 billion ($2 billion euros) embezzled and siphoned off by Sani Abacha while he was in power.

www.today.ng/news/switzerland-to-return-380m-looted-by-abacha-to-nigeria/
No difference between Abacha and buhari.

2 Likes

Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by signz: 7:20pm On Mar 17, 2015
I think I have lost count of how much of Abachas stolen money that have been returned. Maybe the man stole over a billion dollars.

My question is how much was a barrel of oil when Abacha was HOS?
Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by BashMe1(m): 7:22pm On Mar 17, 2015
Aaaaaahhhhhh Noooo O, Pls. Don't return it yet o, wait till after March 28th when Jonathan has been sent packin' b4 u do d transfer cos he might steal it. Thank you Switzerland.
Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by Skoopy(m): 7:22pm On Mar 17, 2015
"Stealing is NOT corruption", so therefore abaca is not corrupt.-GEJ

1 Like

Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by sophtaf(f): 7:23pm On Mar 17, 2015
Ok,let us knw whn d money arrives undecided
Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by Youngzedd(m): 7:23pm On Mar 17, 2015
They should hold on for now until Jonathan return to Otuoke.
Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by moscobabs(m): 7:23pm On Mar 17, 2015
Make then never return ham oooo....dey sud wait till may 29 pls.
Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by Nobody: 7:24pm On Mar 17, 2015
SmooshCHN:
That money had better stay there cos getting here, it's already been shared like Birthday Cake.
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by viczing(m): 7:25pm On Mar 17, 2015
ozoigbondu:
Abacha did not steal
Pa buhari

1 Like

Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by anytexy: 7:25pm On Mar 17, 2015
GEJ we know.
Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by timijatt: 7:25pm On Mar 17, 2015
na so bro
Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by openmine(m): 7:26pm On Mar 17, 2015
Abacha did not steal any money - Buhari

1 Like

Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by ednut1(m): 7:27pm On Mar 17, 2015
time value of money tells me dat money today is woth over 3bn euros. return it to be re looted
Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by Nobody: 7:29pm On Mar 17, 2015
ozoigbondu:
Abacha did not steal
Pa buhari
And our "incorruptible" Gen Buhari said Abacha did not steal...

2 Likes

Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by notoriousbabe: 7:29pm On Mar 17, 2015
It will be relooted the same week it enters our treasury,ole gbe,ole gba
Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by Vicotex(m): 7:29pm On Mar 17, 2015
hazyfm:
NOT UP TO THE AMOUNT SPENT BY JONATHAN TO BRIBE SOUTH WEST LEADERS...

[size=18pt]CHICKEN CHANGE[/size] ... in Jonathan's voice
mumu
Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by jamace(m): 7:29pm On Mar 17, 2015
nationwide1:
According to reports, someone said Abacha did not steal any money.
It is pa Buhari, the tribalist, who said it: https://www.nairaland.com/2109939/abacha-did-not-loot-state#30096885

2 Likes

Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by OLADD: 7:31pm On Mar 17, 2015
ozoigbondu:
Abacha did not steal
Pa buhari

The Daura man is a professional conman, I tell you.
Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by brownlord: 7:31pm On Mar 17, 2015
barcanista:
And our "incorruptible" Gen Buhari said Abacha did not steal...

My friend stfu, all of these was pointed to you when you were typing for APC and you defended him, how come you are having a different opinion now?

1 Like

Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by ozoigbondu: 7:32pm On Mar 17, 2015
OLADD:

The Daura man is a professional conman, I tell you.

Only infidels are theives in pa buhari eye
Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by joystickextendr: 7:34pm On Mar 17, 2015
After how many years? the loot no they finish? chai undecided

Meanwhile are u having problems with your joystick size or having premature ejac?? Check my profile/signature
Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by ERODEDEAST(f): 7:34pm On Mar 17, 2015
ozoigbondu:
Abacha did not steal
[b]Pa buhari
[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by bettercreature(m): 7:35pm On Mar 17, 2015
Abeg wait till GEJ leave office oo
Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by Nobody: 7:36pm On Mar 17, 2015
These are people who have RIDICULED this country
Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by Nobody: 7:36pm On Mar 17, 2015
brownlord:

My friend stfu, all of these was pointed to you when you were typing for APC and you defended him, how come you are having a different opinion now?
Oga you never tire? I never typed for "APC", and I never defended that statement. I always avoided it! In fact, I stated that I DON'T agree with his position on Abacha in one of my thread. My opinion on Abacha has never changed! As for Buhari, lol..."Abacha isn't corrupt" grin

1 Like

Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by openmine(m): 7:36pm On Mar 17, 2015
hazyfm:
NOT UP TO THE AMOUNT SPENT BY JONATHAN TO BRIBE SOUTH WEST LEADERS...

[size=18pt]CHICKEN CHANGE[/size] ... in Jonathan's voice
...as if other parties esp APC don't bribe....rite? smh
Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by mekaboy(m): 7:37pm On Mar 17, 2015
All this money past under buhari's nose and he did not smell it. I believe abacha gave him some change. No wonder he wants change.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why I Fought On The Side Of Ojukwu, Biafra – Lt Fola Oyewole / NASDRA And The Air Force Collaborate To Build Guided Missiles / El-rufai: Saraki Led Senate Is The Worst In The History Of Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.