Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,099 members, 7,821,800 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:42 PM

Why We Can’t Recover Funds Looted By Alison-madueke, Others — Presidency - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why We Can’t Recover Funds Looted By Alison-madueke, Others — Presidency (43024 Views)

ICPC Recovers 103 Exotic Vehicles Looted By Government Officials / Funds Looted From Nigeria In Last 5 Years Can Service 3 Annual Budgets – EFCC / Buhari Will Probe Jonathan’s Govt Only; Not Obasanjo’s, Others – Presidency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why We Can’t Recover Funds Looted By Alison-madueke, Others — Presidency by Islie: 1:51pm On Feb 21, 2016
Lack of funds is stalling Nigeria’s effort to trace and recover its stolen monies, and prosecute former government officials responsible for the heist, the presidency has said.

A letter by the Presidential Advisory Committee on Corruption (PACC) to a United Kingdom-based anti-corruption organisation, Global Witness, soliciting assistance in raising funds, revealed that due to the fall in crude oil prices and the general economic downturn, the government lacked the needed funds to pursue recovery of loots.

The letter, dated February 15, 2016, was signed by the Executive Secretary of PACC, Bolaji Owasanoye, and directed to the Director of Global Witness, Simon Taylor.

It stated that the commitment of the government to tackle Boko Haram insurgency, fight corruption and improve the livelihood of Nigerians through job creation, was being hampered by dwindling oil revenue and mounting debts.

Mr. Owasanoye, a professor, argued that the economy could not be revived simply by improving revenue generation, without wiping out corruption and recovering money stolen former officials.

He said ongoing investigations into the diversion of arms funds by the former National Security Adviser (NSA), Sambo Dasuki, and ex-military chiefs, show that significant amount of the money needed by the government to alleviate poverty were still in “the pockets and bank accounts of looters of public funds”.

He said intelligence reports and court rulings elsewhere have shown that there were more funds to be recovered from the immediate past Petroleum Minister, Diezani Alison-Madueke, the fraudulent sale of OPL 245 by Malabu Oil and Gas, a company owned by “a well-known money launderer”, Dan Etete, assets traced to former Delta State Governor, James Ibori, and former military ruler, Sani Abacha.

He however explained that due to the multi-jurisdiction of the cases, and the exorbitant charges of professionals such as lawyers, forensic financial investigators, and the ability of the suspected officials to use part of the alleged stolen fund to challenge the recovery of the fund, the government needed huge flow of resources.

“However, this poses a major problem. An empty treasury means that the money is not currently available for the government to engage these professionals due to the high fee that they charge.

“Even in cases where service will be given on contingency basis the initial seed fund required to start the process is not affordable. As a result, the action the government urgently seeks to take is being stymied,” Mr. Owasanoye wrote.

He argued that the government’s capacity to pursue all potential cases would be greatly boosted by the creation of an Assets Tracing, Recovery and Litigation Fund from which lawyers, investigators and forensic auditors will be paid.

He added that the government was also working on an arrangement where professionals engaged would be paid only on successes recorded.
“Once engaged, government can negotiate with the professionals to earn only success fees. Each professional engaged will secure its own litigation funders to support their briefs,” he stated.

Mr. Owasanoye further revealed that government would not have got as much traction as it does in its drive to prosecute ex-officials, and in the recovery of funds, if it had not received a combined financial lifeline of $5 million from international organisations such as the Ford foundation, MacArthur Foundation and the Foundation to Promote Open Society.

“This fund is supporting the mandate of the Presidency Advisory Committee on Corruption which is co-ordinating the anti-corruption effort of the government and promoting improved criminal justice administration.

“In light of the very dire economic situation of the moment this support and the proposed Assets Tracing, Recovery and Litigation Fund, is crucial to government ability to get recovery assets to support social welfare projects for the impoverished majority of Nigerians.

“Furthermore, funding support will enable government to use money that would have otherwise gone to professionals for assets recovery for other social protection projects,” he wrote.

www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/198746-exclusive-cant-recover-funds-looted-ex-minister-alison-madueke-others-presidency.html

3 Likes

Re: Why We Can’t Recover Funds Looted By Alison-madueke, Others — Presidency by Ahmed0336(m): 1:53pm On Feb 21, 2016
OK

1 Like

Re: Why We Can’t Recover Funds Looted By Alison-madueke, Others — Presidency by Pheals(f): 1:54pm On Feb 21, 2016
I didn't need to read the news just one question .. are they above the law ?

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why We Can’t Recover Funds Looted By Alison-madueke, Others — Presidency by Tallesty1(m): 1:57pm On Feb 21, 2016
Can't stop laughing. How can there be fund when Buhariwalker is spending the available fund on his space travels.gringringringrin.

239 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Why We Can’t Recover Funds Looted By Alison-madueke, Others — Presidency by AngryNigerian(m): 2:02pm On Feb 21, 2016
Nawa ooo! You haven't even convicted them yet, you are already complaining of lack of funds to do what!

How did we get to this point ieeeei? I'v never seen a government so apt to complain!!!

Okay, mortgage part of the so-called loot to those dat will help repartriate them naa...like saying 'if you help us get this money, we shall give you ...%!'

105 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why We Can’t Recover Funds Looted By Alison-madueke, Others — Presidency by SeverusSnape(m): 2:07pm On Feb 21, 2016
Foolish president. The dullards doesn't have anything against that innocent woman, They are just running from pillar to post. Was it not this same dullard who said they have no evidence against her?

Mouth action and nothing to show for it.

By the way, Have they blamed GEJ today

182 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Why We Can’t Recover Funds Looted By Alison-madueke, Others — Presidency by macino1(m): 2:17pm On Feb 21, 2016
Question 1. Are you having share from the fund?
Question 2. Are they now above the law?
Question 3. Didn't we hear during campaign that ALL stolen fund will be returned. And that the recovered fund will be used to run this administration?
Question 4. Why were we told that America, etc are helping to trace and recover ALL stolen fund.

This joke is too early oh: queue are returning back in filling stations, power is getting worse, Naira is enjoying a free fall. gradually, Nigeria is fulfilling Achebe's prophecy "There was a country"

Baba God we need your intervention.

73 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Can’t Recover Funds Looted By Alison-madueke, Others — Presidency by tuoyoojo(m): 2:17pm On Feb 21, 2016
I read that we had gotten so much money recovered from previous yam eaters

abi bigger "goats" don chop am?

49 Likes

Re: Why We Can’t Recover Funds Looted By Alison-madueke, Others — Presidency by galarbagalapazy(m): 2:17pm On Feb 21, 2016
mr man up mi shot d Bleep up

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Can’t Recover Funds Looted By Alison-madueke, Others — Presidency by Nonsua30(m): 2:17pm On Feb 21, 2016
ADONBELIVIT

4 Likes

Re: Why We Can’t Recover Funds Looted By Alison-madueke, Others — Presidency by SeverusSnape(m): 2:18pm On Feb 21, 2016
Tallesty1:
Can't stop laughing. How can there be fund when Buhariwalker is spending the available fund on his space travels.gringringringrin.
Don't mind the Presidiot. He's a disgrace to the league of dullards.

74 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why We Can’t Recover Funds Looted By Alison-madueke, Others — Presidency by sukkot: 2:18pm On Feb 21, 2016
madueke the kleptomaniac your soul is required in hades

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Can’t Recover Funds Looted By Alison-madueke, Others — Presidency by kilode100(f): 2:18pm On Feb 21, 2016
Can this man drag his dead phallus and get to work already??.. I'm tired of this nonsense biko.

This is radarada raised to 1000 na.

50 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Can’t Recover Funds Looted By Alison-madueke, Others — Presidency by Christane: 2:19pm On Feb 21, 2016
Dy z no reasn to justify why u cant collect back d money,u cant jst collect cus d money z deposited in various bank world wide ...dat y ..nd she aint ready to tel u where.

1 Like

Re: Why We Can’t Recover Funds Looted By Alison-madueke, Others — Presidency by Nobody: 2:19pm On Feb 21, 2016
Make i go piss.. .. .. .. I no no wetin to talking
Re: Why We Can’t Recover Funds Looted By Alison-madueke, Others — Presidency by Firefire(m): 2:19pm On Feb 21, 2016
Interesting...
Re: Why We Can’t Recover Funds Looted By Alison-madueke, Others — Presidency by Nobody: 2:19pm On Feb 21, 2016
I swear I just smoke weed skonk finish,my head dey bang.

Why we all addicted to this forum self?
Seun don jazz us.

Seun release us from ur cage na

23 Likes

Re: Why We Can’t Recover Funds Looted By Alison-madueke, Others — Presidency by AdemolaA2: 2:19pm On Feb 21, 2016
I don't see any sense in this article piece. You spend money to get money . Not all of them have been convicted yet and sentenced so it's meaningless complaining about funds to pursue a case or recover funds. If they are convicted by law , automatically, they would be charged and mandated to return all the looted funds by court order.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why We Can’t Recover Funds Looted By Alison-madueke, Others — Presidency by kennyman2000(m): 2:20pm On Feb 21, 2016
Hmmmmmm
Re: Why We Can’t Recover Funds Looted By Alison-madueke, Others — Presidency by scofieldsimba(m): 2:20pm On Feb 21, 2016
Okpolo eye no be open eye...

Double wahala for deady body..

2 Likes

Re: Why We Can’t Recover Funds Looted By Alison-madueke, Others — Presidency by ExAngel007(f): 2:20pm On Feb 21, 2016
fish em OUT
Re: Why We Can’t Recover Funds Looted By Alison-madueke, Others — Presidency by ValarDoharis: 2:20pm On Feb 21, 2016
Do you now need a prophet to tell you that this govt's intention is to misinform the public. Does it make sense to say there is no money to recover your alleged missing billions? Is this not what they call 'yeye dey smell'? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why We Can’t Recover Funds Looted By Alison-madueke, Others — Presidency by alphaStoner(m): 2:21pm On Feb 21, 2016
Booked

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Can’t Recover Funds Looted By Alison-madueke, Others — Presidency by ifyalways(f): 2:21pm On Feb 21, 2016
Hmmmn.

So this Buhari government have ALREADY received a $5million cash fund to aid the current " merry-go-round" corruption cases, trials or whatever-you-may-want-to-call/it" ?

Eye opener!!!!

Who received the said funds? How was it used and by who?

These people are codedly sharing and chopping money while bamboozling the hungry and jobless masses with " we are pighting Kwarruption" grin

49 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why We Can’t Recover Funds Looted By Alison-madueke, Others — Presidency by tuoyoojo(m): 2:21pm On Feb 21, 2016
ok
I read somewhere that so far they have recovered two trillion naira
so where are they keeping dat money and what is it being used for
hope it's not what baba is using to stroll round the world o

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why We Can’t Recover Funds Looted By Alison-madueke, Others — Presidency by omolola15(m): 2:21pm On Feb 21, 2016
SeverusSnape:
Foolish president. The dullards doesn't have anything against that innocent woman, They are just running from pillar to post. Was it not this same dullard who said they have no evidence against her?

Mouth action and nothing to show for it.

By the way, Have they blamed GEJ today

Innocent? So you are telling me you believe she didn't spend a dime of our money on her self. It'll be hard for me to trust a politician this much.

2 Likes

Re: Why We Can’t Recover Funds Looted By Alison-madueke, Others — Presidency by IYANGBALI: 2:21pm On Feb 21, 2016
abeg i no wan hear story o,that is one of the reasons i vote for baba o,recover the loot and jail the looters

1 Like

Re: Why We Can’t Recover Funds Looted By Alison-madueke, Others — Presidency by Adatob(m): 2:22pm On Feb 21, 2016
Re: Why We Can’t Recover Funds Looted By Alison-madueke, Others — Presidency by IYANGBALI: 2:22pm On Feb 21, 2016
abeg i no wan hear story o,that is one of the reasons i vote for baba o,recover the loot and jail the looters

seun come borrow Nigeria to recover our money
Re: Why We Can’t Recover Funds Looted By Alison-madueke, Others — Presidency by blackpanda: 2:23pm On Feb 21, 2016
Here you will see frustrated PDP supporters and wailers singing "Hallelujah"...just watch! grin

2 Likes

Re: Why We Can’t Recover Funds Looted By Alison-madueke, Others — Presidency by cckris: 2:23pm On Feb 21, 2016
Is this the new method of getting free dollars from Europeans? Me too I'm working to recover 2 trillion Naira STOLEN from the Budget. But I dollars to be able to accomplish these great tasks for my beloved country. Please help!

13 Likes

Re: Why We Can’t Recover Funds Looted By Alison-madueke, Others — Presidency by Nobody: 2:23pm On Feb 21, 2016
grin how come when they were looting naija the country was doing okay and the naira was strong but now that we are fighting corruption things are getting out of hand.

43 Likes 5 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fuel Increase: Nigerians Lament On Twitter / Jonathan Stops PDP’s Bid To Contest Buhari’s Victory / Femi Fani-Kayode Reacts To His Crashed Marriage Report By Sahara Reporters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.