Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,198 members, 7,822,045 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:07 AM

Pontiac Vibe looses power....pls help - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Pontiac Vibe looses power....pls help (1389 Views)

Please, What Is The Size Of Serpentine Belt Of Pontiac Vibe 2004 / Pontiac Vibe / 7 Years Lagos Used Pontiac Vibe 05, A Good Buy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pontiac Vibe looses power....pls help by chemvic: 9:39pm On Mar 17, 2015
Hello house my car is running me mad. I drive a Pontiac vibe 2004, I noticed a sudden drag in the acceleration of the car which sometimes look like the car exhaust is blocked. I scanned thee car and got p420. I took the car to my mechanic and he said the exhaust system is blocked. He traced it to the manifold and said the catalyst there is blocked and should be removed so the engine can breath well, he removed it and for once in a long while my car moved like a formula one contestant. I also had my plugs and engine air filter change to the recommend one for my engine (iridium NGK) suddenly after like 3days of use, I observed the drag again but this time the exhaust makes a sound like the plugs are bad, during my childhood days when a car sounds that way we call it banger motor. I returned the car to the mechanic and he returned my old plugs..after driving for like 40mins..the sound like firecrackers came again, I had to turn back from a trip to akure. The mechanic then changed my fuel pump, the car moved so fine without any complain that I had to commend my mechanic after getting to akure. The gear selects fine and doesnt jack at all my mechanic also serviced the nozzles. I returned to Ilorin again yesterday and I noticed the drag comes once in a while. Please house help a brother out, I have spent much in the last few days all on the try and errors of my technician. Yet the car only pop up p420 code whenever I scan it. What could be wrong with my car. Sir sienna and other car knights in the house kindly help out a brother
Re: Pontiac Vibe looses power....pls help by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:29pm On Mar 17, 2015
chemvic:
Hello house my car is running me mad. I drive a Pontiac vibe 2004, I noticed a sudden drag in the acceleration of the car which sometimes look like the car exhaust is blocked. I scanned thee car and got p420. I took the car to my mechanic and he said the exhaust system is blocked. He traced it to the manifold and said the catalyst there is blocked and should be removed so the engine can breath well, he removed it and for once in a long while my car moved like a formula one contestant. I also had my plugs and engine air filter change to the recommend one for my engine (iridium NGK) suddenly after like 3days of use, I observed the drag again but this time the exhaust makes a sound like the plugs are bad, during my childhood days when a car sounds that way we call it banger motor. I returned the car to the mechanic and he returned my old plugs..after driving for like 40mins..the sound like firecrackers came again, I had to turn back from a trip to akure. The mechanic then changed my fuel pump, the car moved so fine without any complain that I had to commend my mechanic after getting to akure. The gear selects fine and doesnt jack at all my mechanic also serviced the nozzles. I returned to Ilorin again yesterday and I noticed the drag comes once in a while. Please house help a brother out, I have spent much in the last few days all on the try and errors of my technician. Yet the car only pop up p420 code whenever I scan it. What could be wrong with my car. Sir sienna and other car knights in the house kindly help out a brother

There's no code like p420, there's a closer match p0420 catalyst efficiency below threash hold.

The code is expected, since there is no catalyst.

The tune up was done blindly or by guessing. Why change spark plugs only to put your own back? Unless you are a fan of substandard cheap parts? If you put a fake fuel pump you should also expect it to breakdown quick.

If you. In lag contact me via my sig for a proper job.
Re: Pontiac Vibe looses power....pls help by chemvic: 5:07am On Mar 18, 2015
@Gazzuzz thanks for such an insightful comment, I actually meant p0420. As for the pump I never thought it to be substandard becos I paid through my nose. Am based in kwara state, what's the range of a denso in tank fuel pump pls? So that I can buy and just ask the mechanic to fix.further comments are as well welcomed. Pls help a brother out...
Re: Pontiac Vibe looses power....pls help by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:14am On Mar 18, 2015
chemvic:
@Gazzuzz thanks for such an insightful comment, I actually meant p0420. As for the pump I never thought it to be substandard becos I paid through my nose. Am based in kwara state, what's the range of a denso in tank fuel pump pls? So that I can buy and just ask the mechanic to fix.further comments are as well welcomed. Pls help a brother out...

You are going about your repairs blindly, before you replace a fuel pump, you should know how much fuel preasure it delivers, locate a proper workshop that has equipment that can diagnose faults before replacing parts.
Re: Pontiac Vibe looses power....pls help by chemvic: 11:27pm On Mar 25, 2015
@gazzuzz ...i had my catalyst replaced. I did a scan of my car and had it pop up p0031 and p0037 . the O2 sensors are the culprit. Indeed roadside technicians can be very cranky...I need to get the O2 sensors replaced too so I can get my baby back in top form. Gazzuzz kindly give me a quote for this part.
Re: Pontiac Vibe looses power....pls help by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:03am On Mar 26, 2015
chemvic:
@gazzuzz ...i had my catalyst replaced. I did a scan of my car and had it pop up p0031 and p0037 . the O2 sensors are the culprit. Indeed roadside technicians can be very cranky...I need to get the O2 sensors replaced too so I can get my baby back in top form. Gazzuzz kindly give me a quote for this part.

Brand new 30k each, toks 12k each.
Re: Pontiac Vibe looses power....pls help by Dbrainiac1(m): 2:44pm On Apr 13, 2016
@ Sir GAZZUZZ
What's your say on 2010 pontiac vibe gt? Is it a good car to get? Can you please give me the pros n cons? Thank you
Re: Pontiac Vibe looses power....pls help by antobrige: 6:59pm On Apr 13, 2016
when u Talk about Potiac Vibe u talk about toyota matrix...
Re: Pontiac Vibe looses power....pls help by Dbrainiac1(m): 10:31am On Apr 14, 2016
antobrige:
when u Talk about Potiac Vibe u talk about toyota matrix...
But I don't know about both of em... can you shed more light?
Re: Pontiac Vibe looses power....pls help by Readonee35L(m): 12:54pm On Apr 14, 2016
Dbrainiac1:
@ Sir GAZZUZZ
What's your say on 2010 pontiac vibe gt? Is it a good car to get? Can you please give me the pros n cons? Thank you
The Pontiac vibe is the same as the Toyota matrix
They share everything engine,transmission,brakes e.t.c
Everything.
The only difference is the body.
Re: Pontiac Vibe looses power....pls help by antobrige: 11:23pm On Apr 14, 2016
He has done a good explanation for you, don't worry u can go ahead and acquire the potiac is cheap and easy to maintain and the parts are available anytime
Re: Pontiac Vibe looses power....pls help by Dbrainiac1(m): 12:27am On Apr 15, 2016
smiley

(1) (Reply)

Subaru Forester New Model Vs Toyota Premio / Camry 2009 With Odometer Of 140350.what Does It Mean / Mercedes Benz C300 Tokunbo For Quick Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.