Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,204 members, 7,845,986 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 08:42 AM

Is Repainting Houses Against Nigerian Culture? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is Repainting Houses Against Nigerian Culture? (6732 Views)

***nigerian Culture To Answer A Question With Another Question?*** / What Aspects Of Our Nigerian Culture Should Be Abolished? / Questions About Nigerian Culture And Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Repainting Houses Against Nigerian Culture? by Nobody: 12:56am On Jan 21, 2009
deb:

@poster, your mum just gave you a very good excuse.
Its not true. There is even a speculation that Lagos state
government will soon begin to enforce painting of houses.
boy oh boy, would that be marvelous!

Dis Guy:

I notice this too, but the problem might be also be the type of paint they use, considering the country is very humid there should be some special paints that sticksdeals with humidity and heat better and doest peel off too!
grin grin Possible
Re: Is Repainting Houses Against Nigerian Culture? by touchmeder: 2:44pm On Jan 21, 2009
na lie oh ur mum was pulling ur legs, no such cultural thing in this regard

but people dont paint their houses perhaps as often as it is done abroad
this might be some reasons why they do or dont do and when in my opinion
cos if na rented house wetin concern you? and if the landlord wont paint his own house na him sabi nor be im dey collect the rent? thats his business
i have seen more people paint houses sha when their child is getting married, burial, birthday, or some thanksgiving thats seems to be a perfect time to paint the house
plus lastly some people are afraid if the house looks too new and nice it might attract those people
yes nah thiefi thiefi  lipsrsealed ohhhhhhhhhh did i say that
Re: Is Repainting Houses Against Nigerian Culture? by lechatnoir: 7:39pm On Jan 21, 2009
they could paint the house at least 2 months before the festivies if this is what really matters. You need that "oil" kind of paint for any tropical country. First dirt can be removed easily with a sponge without damaging the actual paint.
Re: Is Repainting Houses Against Nigerian Culture? by iukpe: 3:24am On Jan 22, 2009
"back in the days when i was young , am not a kid anymore, but some day i sit and wish i was a kid again"

Is it being modern or being African?

Can anyone show me a photo of a painted tatched house?

Thats the problem!
Re: Is Repainting Houses Against Nigerian Culture? by Hauwa1: 4:01am On Jan 22, 2009
yes there are painted thatched home. of course redone with clay again and again. some redo it with cow dung.

i have a question: are there glossy paints in nigeria?
Re: Is Repainting Houses Against Nigerian Culture? by iukpe: 6:00am On Jan 22, 2009
Traditionally, the African man is not made for tall buildings and fences with gates, roofing tiles, Aluminium windows, water system, paint and so on.

We just got drawn into it by civilization, and that is why there is such a problem with the way things are looking.
Buildings not painted regularly,
Buildings painted and fence not painted.
Building painted and surrounding bushy.
Multi story buildings not painted regularly as should be.
Govt offices, schools, hospitals looking shabby and horrible.

All the extra trouble of painting and repainting is just a bit too much pshycho stuff for the average naijaman including lots of govts in Nigeria.

If we had modified our original village setting through technology, thatched houses built to schools, govt offices and our traditional style homes. of course without fences or gates the paint issue would have been taken care of, by the beautiful red color of mother earth on all our buildings with a touch of green bushes around.
Re: Is Repainting Houses Against Nigerian Culture? by angelina08(f): 9:17am On Jan 22, 2009
No, repainting houses in Nigeria is not against our culture, you can paint your house as may time as you want and any colour you want also.
Re: Is Repainting Houses Against Nigerian Culture? by binahmad(m): 2:26am On Jan 24, 2009
hauwa, ypu don't really rate Naija much, do you? sad sad shocked
cry
Re: Is Repainting Houses Against Nigerian Culture? by Hauwa1: 2:46am On Jan 24, 2009
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Is Repainting Houses Against Nigerian Culture? by Barayeks(m): 9:02pm On Jan 25, 2009
ur mum is right , its not against nigerian culture though, its against benin culture
ur not soppose to repaint or alter the houses left for u by dead parents and relatives
Re: Is Repainting Houses Against Nigerian Culture? by ayobase(m): 7:07pm On Jan 26, 2009
hmmmmm, that might be correct.
its new to me!!!

benin culture!!
Re: Is Repainting Houses Against Nigerian Culture? by Nobody: 2:28am On Jan 28, 2009
touchmeder:

na lie oh ur mum was pulling ur legs, no such cultural thing in this regard

but people dont paint their houses perhaps as often as it is done abroad
this might be some reasons why they do or dont do and when in my opinion
cos if na rented house wetin concern you? and if the landlord wont paint his own house na him sabi nor be im dey collect the rent? thats his business
i have seen more people paint houses sha when their child is getting married, burial, birthday, or some thanksgiving thats seems to be a perfect time to paint the house
plus lastly some people are afraid if the house looks too new and nice it might attract those people
yes nah thiefi thiefi lipsrsealed ohhhhhhhhhh did i say that

rotflmaoooooooooooooooooooooooooo

for real?

deb:

@poster, your mum just gave you a very good excuse.
Its not true. There is even a speculation that Lagos state
government will soon begin to enforce painting of houses.
Thank God!!

Bara-yeks:

ur mum is right , its not against nigerian culture though, its against benin culture
ur not soppose to repaint or alter the houses left for u by dead parents and relatives
wow, 4 real? Learned sth new wink
Re: Is Repainting Houses Against Nigerian Culture? by otikpoko(m): 1:39am On Jan 29, 2009
Repainting houses is not against the Nigerian culture.I believe that your mother is trying to mean another thing,maybe in your discussion.Try to ask her the meaning of what she said.I think she will give you the right answer.
Re: Is Repainting Houses Against Nigerian Culture? by amaikama(m): 12:49pm On Jan 29, 2009
Make i tell u the truth, moni no dey thats why she say it is forbidden lipsrsealed if moni dey, hmmm!!! na de other way round e go be grin
Re: Is Repainting Houses Against Nigerian Culture? by otikpoko(m): 5:17pm On Jan 29, 2009
Lol(though i don't know the meaning).
Re: Is Repainting Houses Against Nigerian Culture? by favouredjb(f): 12:46pm On Apr 28, 2010
My house was stil repainted dis december,infact
popsie did a complete renovation
if its a taboo,y paint d house in d first place?
Re: Is Repainting Houses Against Nigerian Culture? by DisGuy: 11:55am On Apr 29, 2010
favouredjb:

My house was stil repainted dis december,infact
popsie did a complete renovation
if its a taboo,y paint d house in d first place?

if it is not, why are many house left unpainted after building?
Re: Is Repainting Houses Against Nigerian Culture? by kieryn(f): 12:04am On Apr 30, 2010
The statement is not true. But is paint expensive? I believe there should be some code enforcement on the outer appearance of homes. Cause some homes look ridiculous.
Re: Is Repainting Houses Against Nigerian Culture? by DisGuy: 12:17am On Apr 30, 2010
Is that really the University of Lagos?? ?   ?

what are they professors and students colour/dirt blind?
Re: Is Repainting Houses Against Nigerian Culture? by cibilola(f): 9:46pm On May 03, 2010
It is sad to conclude that the contributor of the above topic belongs to a desendant of the under class of Nigerian economic migrants that were smuggled abroad via a scrutum sack. The individual in question is bereft of a gumption, hence can not use their low IQ to decipher a fictitious scenario from reality. This barely litrate slowpoke has the temerity and audacity to raise such a trivial issue. I will suggest to all members of the forum not to waste time responding to such a juvenile diliquent derived topic.
Re: Is Repainting Houses Against Nigerian Culture? by DisGuy: 10:59am On Jul 27, 2010
cibilola:

It is sad to conclude that the contributor of the above topic belongs to a desendant of the under class of Nigerian economic migrants that were smuggled abroad via a scrutum sack. The individual in question is bereft of a gumption, hence can not use their low IQ to decipher a fictitious scenario from reality. This barely litrate slowpoke has the temerity and audacity to raise such a trivial issue. I will suggest to all members of the forum not to waste time responding to such a juvenile diliquent derived topic.

I dont think it's trivial, the delivery is a bit cheeky but generally points to the cleanliness of the society, I dont think the environment is being taken seriously enough

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Oldest Bronze Artifacts Known In West Africa, The Igboukwu Bronze / Axum I Have A Question... / Origin Of Ogoga, The Paramount Ruler Of Ikere Kingdom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.