Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,090 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:29 AM

Buy a Flat on Your Church's Credit Card - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Buy a Flat on Your Church's Credit Card (1728 Views)

Jehova Witnesses, I Want To Join Your Church, Help Me!!! / Giving 10% Tithe To Your Church Is Not Giving To GOD / When Does Your Church Services Start And When Do You Arrive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buy a Flat on Your Church's Credit Card by Enigma(m): 12:30pm On Oct 10, 2005
Is this a good example of how to use money that people pay into church "for God's work"? Is the purpose of giving/paying "tithes and offering" to enable the head honcho to live large?

[url=http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1814723,00.html]Pastor to Repay £200,000 after Buying Florida Timeshare on Church Visa Card[/url]

UK Commission Inquiry Report
Re: Buy a Flat on Your Church's Credit Card by salako: 2:23pm On Oct 10, 2005
I have been to that church.
The fact is that guy (Oshimolowo) and his crew provides entertainment, (subjective) enlightenment, a big safe (vastly black) community, (subjective) inspiration, a visually appealing congregation and various interesting events. They provide all this for a reasonable price.
Lots of people want/like the service they provide and they are prepared to pay for it.
Just like any business man he is making some cash and so are his crew. Some hegemonic hypocritical governmentals fear the following this church has. They recognise the financial (thus political) influence this church has and is quickly increasing.
They want to halt Oshimolowos progress and or split the church or replace the leading administration. I.E. they want to manage it now before it can influence them.

or maybe not wink
Re: Buy a Flat on Your Church's Credit Card by exu(m): 5:29pm On Oct 10, 2005
If he's a businessman he should set up an actual business as opposed to a masquerading as a pastor and essentially stealing funds...

But then again, this has always been the way of the church (and almost every other religion for that matter) and it's leaders...

The Roman Catholic Church preaches humility and charity yet all it's leaders live in unnecessary luxury...same with most other 'branches' of the church...
Re: Buy a Flat on Your Church's Credit Card by exu(m): 5:32pm On Oct 10, 2005
Also, aside from providing so called 'spiritual guidance' and support what exactly does this guy do
Re: Buy a Flat on Your Church's Credit Card by salako: 11:48am On Oct 11, 2005
He does everything that a successful businessman/pastor does. He has meetings with various entities setting up more business ventures. He holds seminars every Sunday, or at least he did. He preaches/lectures on television in front of a live church audience. He markets his service (Haven't you seen him on the back of London's buses?).
He is the wheeler and dealer behind the scenes making it all happen with his team.
Re: Buy a Flat on Your Church's Credit Card by salako: 3:18pm On Oct 11, 2005
Re: Buy a Flat on Your Church's Credit Card by exu(m): 6:18pm On Oct 11, 2005
If that is the case (that he is a legitimate businessman) then why does he feel the need to draw 'church' funds for his own private use...

Surely those funds could be out to better use, i.e. charity? Or is that no longer part of the christian doctrine?

If he wants to be an after dinner speaker then fine, that is his money and he should do as he wishes with it...

However if someone claims to be a 'man of God' and asks his congregation for money in order to fund 'God's work' then shouldn't that money actually be used, for the greater good, and not just to improve the quality of life for the few

Also, shouldn't he renounce all things worldly, as any good 'pastor' should and show himself to be good example

What kind of example is he setting and why does he think it's exceptable?
Re: Buy a Flat on Your Church's Credit Card by chrisd(m): 8:39pm On Dec 21, 2005
I fully agree with exu and enigma. But if people want to waste their money, it's their choice. One thing is for sure, am not going to save so that my pastor may buy a jetski.
Re: Buy a Flat on Your Church's Credit Card by Oloruntobi4382(m): 9:30am On Aug 19, 2017
Operation revive old threads

(1) (Reply)

Live Worship With Bob Fitts-does Anyone Have The Album? / Is Nairaland A Godly Site? / Ted Haggard Returns To Start Up His Own Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.