Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,200 members, 7,818,666 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:20 PM

Chiamanda Adichei Wins Italian Prize - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chiamanda Adichei Wins Italian Prize (3145 Views)

Wole Soyinka Receiving The Nobel Prize In 1986 (picture) / Chiamanda's Americana... Please I Need This Book, Any Source In Lagos? / Chiamanda Ngozi Adichie Finally Releases Her Thrilling Book 'americanah' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chiamanda Adichei Wins Italian Prize by earTHMama: 8:36pm On Jan 18, 2009
Sunday, January 18, 2009
With Nonino, Chimamanda adds another prize to her cap

By AKEEM LASISI

Celebrated writer, Chimamanda Ngozi-Adichie, has emerged winner of the International Nonino Prize 2009.

Her novel, Half of a Yellow Sun, secured her the prize once won by legendary novelist, Chinua Achebe.

The jury, presided over by the Nobel laureate VS Naipaul, praised Ngozi-Adichie for writing "pages full of domestic mercy and love for her land, portraying living affections in the scenery of the difficult post-colonial years."

The Nonino Prize, a literary prize administered in Italy, but reserved for foreign nationals, was established in 1984. The jury also included, John Banville, Peter Brook and Claudio Magris.

There are four Nonino Prize categories, the Nonino Risit d'Aur Prize, won by Malgari di Carnia, the Nonino Prize, won by Silvia Perez-Vitoria, the Master of Our Time Nonino prize won by Hugh Thomas, and the International Nonino Prize, won by Ngozi-Adichie, who was in Nigeria late last year for a creative writing workshop she holds in collaboration with Fidelity Bank Plc.

The international Nonino prize carries a cash prize of €8,000. The 2009 prizes will be awarded on Saturday January 31, 2009 at the Distillerie Nonino in Udinese, Italy.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/jan/18/408.html
Re: Chiamanda Adichei Wins Italian Prize by earTHMama: 11:23pm On Jan 18, 2009
Re: Chiamanda Adichei Wins Italian Prize by Sapphic: 3:32am On Jan 19, 2009
earTHMama:

Repping Africans in the US

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTJyRtypLEk

No need to qualify it. She is representing Africans not only in the US, but all over the world. Was it not the UK that gave her the Orange Broadband Prize and before that, the Booker Prize shortlist or longlist? I think she sold more books in the UK before she did the US (and probably overall). We need more role models like her.
Re: Chiamanda Adichei Wins Italian Prize by earTHMama: 8:00am On Jan 19, 2009

No need to qualify it. She is representing Africans not only in the US, but all over the world. Was it not the UK that gave her the Orange Broadband Prize and before that, the Booker Prize shortlist or longlist? I think she sold more books in the UK before she did the US (and probably overall). We need more role models like her.
You dey eye her?. She could be gay. kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Chiamanda Adichei Wins Italian Prize by spikedcylinder: 10:14am On Jan 19, 2009
She's a fantastic writer (yes I said so, bite me! tongue) and she deserves every award she gets. smiley
Re: Chiamanda Adichei Wins Italian Prize by princesa(f): 2:53pm On Jan 19, 2009
she deserves it and more smiley
Re: Chiamanda Adichei Wins Italian Prize by earTHMama: 5:23pm On Jan 19, 2009
She's a fantastic writer (yes I said so, bite me! Tongue) and she deserves every award she gets
She may be a fantastic writer but somehow i am beginning to believe she is overrated.
Re: Chiamanda Adichei Wins Italian Prize by Sapphic: 6:32am On Jan 20, 2009
earTHMama:

You dey eye her?. She could be gay. kiss kiss kiss kiss

LOL. Shora e o Funmi. . . Anyway, she's not my type. tongue

spikedcylinder:

She's a fantastic writer (yes I said so, bite me! tongue) and she deserves every award she gets. smiley

Did you feel the pain of my teeth? (but na love bite sha, not the kind Bingo will give you. . . LOL tongue)

earTHMama:

She may be a fantastic writer but somehow i am beginning to believe she is overrated.

She has an anthology of short stories coming out soon (in April I think), that and her third novel will either cement her place in history, or result in her fading swiftly into the background. So let us wait and see as time will tell, but I must say so far so good for the babe.
Re: Chiamanda Adichei Wins Italian Prize by earTHMama: 7:45pm On Jan 21, 2009

She has an anthology of short stories coming out soon (in April I think), that and her third novel will either cement her place in history, or result in her fading swiftly into the background. So let us wait and see as time will tell, but I must say so far so good for the babe.
Let's wait and see.
Re: Chiamanda Adichei Wins Italian Prize by earTHMama: 1:42am On Jan 22, 2009
LOL. Shora e o Funmi. . . Anyway, she's not my type
Why? she is too dark and thin? No meat ehn?. Try osisi now.
Re: Chiamanda Adichei Wins Italian Prize by Sapphic: 4:35am On Jan 22, 2009
earTHMama:

Why? she is too dark and thin? No meat ehn?. Try osisi now.

She is NOT thin, she is just not the type I am into now. You NEVER pay attention when I say something. I told you that I have a bias for caucasians. It has nothing to do with racial discrimination o. I have just noticed over the years that things are less complicated with them and there is less hide and seek. What does osisi mean? undecided
Re: Chiamanda Adichei Wins Italian Prize by earTHMama: 4:53am On Jan 22, 2009

She is NOT thin, she is just not the type I am into now. You NEVER pay attention when I say something. I told you that I have a bias for caucasians. It has nothing to do with racial discrimination o. I have just noticed over the years that things are less complicated with them and there is less hide and seek. What does osisi mean?
Never mind, Osisi is a negro and i am not sure if she will agree to swing that way. SimiBrasil and tRooE are not white na. tongue
Re: Chiamanda Adichei Wins Italian Prize by SHENANIGAN(m): 5:03am On Jan 22, 2009
After chinua Achebe she is the best writer from Nigeria. I've read just about all her books. Her book Half of a yellow sun is one I recommend all Igbo youth to read. After reading that book, all the stories my parents told me about the war came to life. What an amazing woman.
Re: Chiamanda Adichei Wins Italian Prize by Sapphic: 5:24am On Jan 22, 2009
earTHMama:

Never mind, Osisi is a negro and i am not sure if she will agree to swing that way. SimiBrasil and tRooE are not white na. tongue

Abeg o, it was only Simi I used to flirt with (it was you who was all over Trooway like a rash. LOL), and you know it was harmless stuff. Anyway you people drove her away. . . I have been considering entering the Nairaland convent in protest. LOL. tongue
Re: Chiamanda Adichei Wins Italian Prize by earTHMama: 6:17am On Jan 22, 2009
Abeg o, it was only Simi I used to flirt with (it was you who was all over Trooway like a rash. LOL), and you know it was harmless stuff. Anyway you people drove her away. . . I have been considering entering the Nairaland convent in protest. LOL.
Oh please, you did flirt with sisijiggly and tRooE. I am also sure karmamod is on your watch list. You are obviously waiting for her to reach adult age before you pounce on her otherwise you will go to jail for pedophilia. Be careful with that sisi woman, I hope you know her ancestry and their proficiency with dagger. tongue tongue tongue
Re: Chiamanda Adichei Wins Italian Prize by muhsin(m): 1:56pm On Jan 22, 2009
Yeah, I agree with you, earTHmama, that she's certainly overrated. I wonder how and why? 1st; she got opportunity which only few got by being in US. Secondly, her father, I think, is one hell of a scholar, a friend to Achebe, in precise. You see, these are some things that can make her be sung like this. And much more.
Re: Chiamanda Adichei Wins Italian Prize by earTHMama: 5:57pm On Jan 22, 2009
Yeah, I agree with you, earTHmama, that she's certainly overrated. I wonder how and why? 1st; she got opportunity which only few got by being in US. Secondly, her father, I think, is one hell of a scholar, a friend to Achebe, in precise. You see, these are some things that can make her be sung like this. And much more.
I don't think she's getting her accolades because of her high profile dad. Her dad is a world class statistician but it's a pity that the way things work in academic world is totally different from the way things work in business and political world. He can't transfer his accolades and titles to her.
Re: Chiamanda Adichei Wins Italian Prize by Sapphic: 7:31pm On Jan 22, 2009
@ Mushin Olosha tongue, Believe me, the people who "bigged up" and bought her books do not know her father from Adam. Many people (like me) did not even get to hear of the man until we knew of the daughter. Their two circles are totally distinct.

earTHMama:

Oh please, you did flirt with sisijiggly and tRooE. I am also sure karmamod is on your watch list. You are obviously waiting for her to reach adult age before you pounce on her otherwise you will go to jail for pedophilia. Be careful with that sisi woman, I hope you know her ancestry and their proficiency with dagger. tongue tongue tongue

You this woman, o ni pa mi o. Which kain talk be all these ones now? undecided Karma and Sisi are as straight as 2 by 4 plank o. Moreover, them be my Nairaland family member and I no dey do incest. Anyhow, I sabi how to deal with Mallam and Alhaji's dagger. Shebi I told you that most of the guys I dated were northerners (and I lived in Jos for 2 and a half years and Abuja for about 14 months), so that side is covered.

(Abeg make you dey softly softly dey talk all these yarn about me pouncing on girls here. Mo folorun be e. Ololufe mi man wo kini yi len kan kan and ti o ba ri pe o man so kiniyi lemolemo, o ma da bi pe mon toast eni kan ni ibibayi. . . so abeg take am easy o. all flirting is just banter. LOL).
Re: Chiamanda Adichei Wins Italian Prize by Sammy107d(m): 5:31am On Jan 23, 2009
Ok its about time i read one of her works. . . usually have problems picking up indigenous books. sad. il change
Re: Chiamanda Adichei Wins Italian Prize by earTHMama: 5:03pm On Jan 23, 2009
You this woman, o ni pa mi o. Which kain talk be all these ones now? Undecided Karma and Sisi are as straight as 2 by 4 plank o. Moreover, them be my Nairaland family member and I no dey do incest. Anyhow, I sabi how to deal with Mallam and Alhaji's dagger. Shebi I told you that most of the guys I dated were northerners (and I lived in Jos for 2 and a half years and Abuja for about 14 months), so that side is covered.

(Abeg make you dey softly softly dey talk all these yarn about me pouncing on girls here. Mo folorun be e. Ololufe mi man wo kini yi len kan kan and ti o ba ri pe o man so kiniyi lemolemo, o ma da bi pe mon toast eni kan ni ibibayi. . . so abeg take am easy o. all flirting is just banter. LOL).
Roflmao.

Her dad is Professor JN adichie. He is a world class scholar and author. Google him up.
Re: Chiamanda Adichei Wins Italian Prize by Afam4eva(m): 3:43pm On Jan 24, 2009
muhsin:

Mind you she did'nt win this awards in Nigeria, it's only in nigeria that that kind of scenerio can apply.
Re: Chiamanda Adichei Wins Italian Prize by Peaceworld(m): 4:04pm On Jan 25, 2009
Good4Nigeria, but why must we be talking of just one person? Where're the others? She's not the only writer in Nigeria and it's a shame, really. Why should we keep drooling in the past? Why can't we modernise our writing and write on other cultures? Foreign writers do the same thing, comin in2 Africa and doin well here. Why can't we do the same thing here? We fail woefully when we try this. Anyway, I'm trying2change this with my smashing new hit novel, 'The Black Book.' You can all download half of the book4free at www.lulu.com/freedownloads
Re: Chiamanda Adichei Wins Italian Prize by earTHMama: 11:07pm On Jan 25, 2009
Good4Nigeria, but why must we be talking of just one person? Where're the others? She's not the only writer in Nigeria and it's a shame, really. Why should we keep drooling in the past? Why can't we modernise our writing and write on other cultures? Foreign writers do the same thing, comin in2 Africa and doin well here. Why can't we do the same thing here? We fail woefully when we try this. Anyway, I'm trying2change this with my smashing new hit novel, 'The Black Book.' You can all download half of the book4free at www.lulu.com/freedownloads

You are right. I've also wondered why our movies are limited to our culture. Why not make a picture or write a story that has a setting in an Australian city?
Re: Chiamanda Adichei Wins Italian Prize by spikedcylinder: 12:17pm On Jan 26, 2009
@ earthmamma

This your statement is an absolute oxymoron. How can you admit that someone is a fantastic writer and in the same sentence say she's overrated. If she's fantastic, she definitely would be rated highly. tongue

@ sapphic

Nah babes, you didn't dig deep enough, I felt nothing. Wonno try that again? tongue

She is NOT thin, she is just not the type I am into now. You NEVER pay attention when I say something. I told you that I have a bias for caucasians. It has nothing to do with racial discrimination o. I have just noticed over the years that things are less complicated with them and there is less hide and seek. What does osisi mean?

Darn it! There she goes. embarassed sad

tongue
Re: Chiamanda Adichei Wins Italian Prize by Sapphic: 4:19pm On Jan 26, 2009
earTHMama:

Her dad is Professor JN adichie. He is a world class scholar and author. Google him up.

I never said he wasn't. I just said that many people ouside that field have no clue who he is and most of the people who read Chimamanda's books had no clue about her father.

spikedcylinder:

@ sapphic
Nah babes, you didn't dig deep enough, I felt nothing. Wonno try that again? tongue

I am assuming you meant that you did not feel the bite. I have gone to get my "Dracular fangs" out and I am about to try again. LOL.

There! I just bit you with my great Dracular gnashers. Did you feel that? smiley If you didn't, you'll have to settle for a kiss (and having seen those fab lips of yours, I sure hope you did not feel the second bite. shocked wink). tongue

spikedcylinder:

Darn it! There she goes. embarassed sad

tongue

LOL. cheesy
Re: Chiamanda Adichei Wins Italian Prize by Nobody: 10:38am On Jan 27, 2009
I think this thread is about Ms. Adichie, and not someone's "bias for caucasians". I loved Half Of A Yellow Sun. I was reading it while in the middle of a very important exam of my life, couldn't put it down. I passed o!
Re: Chiamanda Adichei Wins Italian Prize by earTHMama: 6:05pm On Jan 27, 2009
I think this thread is about Ms. Adichie, and not someone's "bias for caucasians". I loved Half Of A Yellow Sun. I was reading it while in the middle of a very important exam of my life, couldn't put it down. I passed o!

No one is biased against Caucasians. Are you a Caucasian?
Re: Chiamanda Adichei Wins Italian Prize by spikedcylinder: 7:33pm On Jan 27, 2009
mactao:

And this is the first time you'll see some off topic chats on nairaland?

*rolls eyes*

Sapphic:

I am assuming you meant that you did not feel the bite. I have gone to get my "Dracular fangs" out and I am about to try again. LOL.

There! I just bit you with my great Dracular gnashers. Did you feel that? smiley If you didn't, you'll have to settle for a kiss (and having seen those fab lips of yours, I sure hope you did not feel the second bite. shocked wink). tongue

LOL. cheesy

*Blushing uncontrollably!*

grin grin grin
Re: Chiamanda Adichei Wins Italian Prize by Sapphic: 7:58pm On Jan 27, 2009
earTHMama:

No one is biased against Caucasians. Are you a Caucasian?

He is not. He is an Omo Nna. And he did not say biased "against". He was quoting my earlier post. He appears peeved that we have deviated from the topic.

spikedcylinder:

And this is the first time you'll see some off topic chats on nairaland?

*rolls eyes*

*Blushing uncontrollably!*

grin grin grin

Learn to ignore insignificant retorts. wink Since when did black man start blushing? (OK, black (dark complexioned) people blush, we just cannot notice em do it most times, and I sure did not see you blush. Do it again. I am watching this time LOL. grin
Re: Chiamanda Adichei Wins Italian Prize by princesa(f): 10:48am On Jan 28, 2009
whats going on here o!
Re: Chiamanda Adichei Wins Italian Prize by spikedcylinder: 3:00pm On Jan 28, 2009
Me and Sapp are gettin' married. Wanna be our bridesmaid? tongue
Re: Chiamanda Adichei Wins Italian Prize by princesa(f): 3:06pm On Jan 28, 2009
Not my kind of wedding
sorry wink

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ana our Housegirl (erotica) / Story Of Oya, the goddess storm / My 1st Ibo Girl Date - Diary Of A Jobless NIGERIAN Youth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.