Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,917 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:01 AM

Jega Faults IGP, Says No Law Bars Waiting After Voting - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jega Faults IGP, Says No Law Bars Waiting After Voting (2837 Views)

IGP Says Police Is The Least Corrupt Of All Nigerian Institutions / General Buhari Relaxing With His Wife After Voting / Senator Ndume Broke Down In Tears After Voting In Maiduguri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jega Faults IGP, Says No Law Bars Waiting After Voting by ijustdey: 5:55am On Mar 21, 2015
The Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Suleiman Abba, and the Chairman, Independent National Electoral Commission, Prof. Attahiru Jega, on Friday clashed over the police chief’s “vote and go home order.”

While the IGP had warned voters to go back to their homes after casting their votes on election days, Jega said the electoral law did not state that voters could not or should not wait to watch and ensure that their votes count.

The IGP, who addressed accredited observers for the forthcoming general elections in Abuja, said the possibility of committing electoral offence was very high if voters stayed back at the polling booths for votes to be counted.

He said that each polling unit would have at least two or three policemen to protect votes cast by the electorate.

“We will go on to protect the electorate. Every eligible voter should feel safe enough to cast his votes. We will be there to protect the votes and make sure no one disrupts the process,” Abba said

But Jega disagreed with the police chief.

The INEC chairman, who appeared as a guest on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily on Friday, said there is no part of the Electoral Act that forbids voters from waiting at the polling booths, adding that the law was only against loitering.

Also, Jega’s Chief Press Secretary, Mr. Kayode Idowu, stressed the position of the commission’s boss, adding that no law bars voters from staying around polling centres.

He said, “Jega did not contradict the IGP; he did not contradict anything that is in the law and what the IGP said. What the IGP said was that this regulation of INEC that says people can stay back in polling units, that he is uncomfortable about it because the Electoral Act provides that anybody who loiters around the polling units or commits an electoral offence can be prosecuted.

“He said if you stay at the polling unit, there is a very high chance that you will commit an electoral offense. People who loiter within the polling units do not have legitimate business.

“That was exactly what Jega said, that if you want to stay, you must stay on the condition that your conduct will not constitute an electoral offense. You will not abuse people, you will not be aggressive towards people, you will be calm and you will not be unruly. As such, the security agents will not apprehend you.”

However, the All Progressives Congress tackled the IGP over the “unlawful order.”

In a statement in Lagos by its National Publicity Secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, the party asked voters to rather listen to Jega and stayed behind to protect their votes after casting their ballots.

The statement read, “According to Jega, who appeared on Channels TV on Friday morning, the electoral law says anyone that has no business with the electoral process at the polling booths but desires to monitor events should stay at least some metres away from the polling agents and completely away from the ballot box after casting their votes.

“‘The INEC Chairman further clarified that all registered voters have businesses with the process and can therefore not be classified as people that don’t have businesses at polling units.

“Therefore, the IGP has no constitutional right or powers under the constitution or Police Act to rewrite the electoral law. The role of the police is to maintain law and order or such other assistance as may be sought from the police by INEC.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/jega-faults-igp-says-no-law-bars-waiting-after-voting/
Re: Jega Faults IGP, Says No Law Bars Waiting After Voting by yuncka: 6:02am On Mar 21, 2015
Wait or no wait, I dnt need any jupiter to tell me to go home after casting my vote.

I love my life.

SAI BUHARI!

4 Likes

Re: Jega Faults IGP, Says No Law Bars Waiting After Voting by ijustdey: 6:03am On Mar 21, 2015
The INEC chairman, who appeared as a guest on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily on Friday, said there is no part of the Electoral Act that forbids voters from waiting at the polling booths, adding that the law was only against loitering

Should we say the police don't know this or they are just acting a script by telling voters to cast their votes and leave the polling booths......

6 Likes

Re: Jega Faults IGP, Says No Law Bars Waiting After Voting by SeverusSnape(m): 6:03am On Mar 21, 2015
This country is too volatile, I'd better cast my vote and go home, even without police directive.

3 Likes

Re: Jega Faults IGP, Says No Law Bars Waiting After Voting by lilbabyak(m): 6:04am On Mar 21, 2015
The law created by pdp police has it.

A raka
a tsare
a kirga

sai baba
Re: Jega Faults IGP, Says No Law Bars Waiting After Voting by SeverusSnape(m): 6:05am On Mar 21, 2015
ijustdey:

Should we say the police don't know this or they are just acting a script by telling voters to cast their votes and leave the polling booths......
Is waiting not also loitering?

1 Like

Re: Jega Faults IGP, Says No Law Bars Waiting After Voting by Nobody: 6:06am On Mar 21, 2015
IGP/PDP's rigging strategies in the brew! Thugs will nt be there to snatch ballot boxes, police will deliver the boxes to thugs. Isn't it PDP that appointed IGP that you want him to serve any interests other than that of PDP? The last time I worked as a presiding officer, I counted the votes aloud in the presence of all voters at the polling station. I'm in support of APC, but Mimiko won that election despite the fact that Oyin-Akoko in Ondo state was an APC's stronghold; voters were massively induced with money, I presumed.

7 Likes

Re: Jega Faults IGP, Says No Law Bars Waiting After Voting by SeverusSnape(m): 6:06am On Mar 21, 2015
lilbabyak:
The law created by pdp police has it.

A raka
a tsare
a kirga

sai baba
Can you see the immature nature of some people??... PDP police??.. So it's no more Nigerian police force?... Why don't you call it "Jonathan police"? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Jega Faults IGP, Says No Law Bars Waiting After Voting by ijustdey: 6:09am On Mar 21, 2015
SeverusSnape:

Google is your friend

If it was the same thing I think the electoral acts won't have separated both words and just use it as one

1 Like

Re: Jega Faults IGP, Says No Law Bars Waiting After Voting by temitemi1(m): 6:10am On Mar 21, 2015
The fools should wait @ their own RISK na! GEJ till 2019!!!

2 Likes

Re: Jega Faults IGP, Says No Law Bars Waiting After Voting by SeverusSnape(m): 6:11am On Mar 21, 2015
ijustdey:

Google is your friend

If it was the same thing I think the electoral acts won't have separated both words and just use it as one
loiter

verb
-To stand about without any aim or purpose; to stand about idly; to linger; to hang around.

For some reason, they discourage loitering outside the store, but encourage it inside.

Take note of the "to hang around".

2 Likes

Re: Jega Faults IGP, Says No Law Bars Waiting After Voting by socialmediaman: 6:13am On Mar 21, 2015
Police clearly showing the public they are an agency of the PDP since time immemorial. They should rather be sensitizing the public and assuring that they will protect voters in every part of the country so that people can be encouraged to come out to vote.

1 Like

Re: Jega Faults IGP, Says No Law Bars Waiting After Voting by dre11(m): 6:13am On Mar 21, 2015
While the IGP had warned voters to go back to their homes after casting their votes on election days, Jega said the electoral law did not state that voters could not or should not wait to watch and ensure that their votes count.

This has being the practice all this time and I don't know what the IG saw that he wants to bend the rules, or is this an order from above as they normally say it..
Just like the Ekiti rigging debacle

All I see with this pronouncement is that opportunity to rig and manipulate the result and umpire.......

3 Likes

Re: Jega Faults IGP, Says No Law Bars Waiting After Voting by Nobody: 6:13am On Mar 21, 2015
PDP and lies..doing everything to rig.

In as much I won't wait,those interested to wait can wait,but should be decorum about it..

PDP is like the roman empire,its destined to fall like a pack of cards..

Come March 28th,we have decided..Sai-Buhari.

1 Like

Re: Jega Faults IGP, Says No Law Bars Waiting After Voting by Baawaa(m): 6:13am On Mar 21, 2015
SeverusSnape:

But we waited after casting our votes in 2011,moreover,not everybody will wait.
Re: Jega Faults IGP, Says No Law Bars Waiting After Voting by Chiefpriest1(m): 6:15am On Mar 21, 2015
Everyone should be on the alert on election day to avoid stories that touch the heart. No politician is worth dying for.

Stay if the atmosphere is conducive, otherwise run for your dear life to escape from the agents of death.

1 Like

Re: Jega Faults IGP, Says No Law Bars Waiting After Voting by dre11(m): 6:16am On Mar 21, 2015
temitemi1:
The fools should wait @ their own RISK na! GEJ till 2019!!!

Just like how you are phooling around here......

Why not say that during the last election that brought GEJ into office when people waited to hear their ward result.
Or, during the last elections in Osun and Ekiti state

1 Like

Re: Jega Faults IGP, Says No Law Bars Waiting After Voting by SeverusSnape(m): 6:16am On Mar 21, 2015
Baawaa:

But we waited after casting our votes in 2011,moreover,not everybody will wait.
Bros, 2011 is different from now, The polity is more heated, the atmosphere is tensed.

1 Like

Re: Jega Faults IGP, Says No Law Bars Waiting After Voting by molydonhenry(m): 6:19am On Mar 21, 2015
whether allowed or not. my business is to cast my vote, so once accomplished I'll go home, den relax in my sitting room, with a chilled bottle of Orobo Pepsi waiting patiently and Jonathanly for d result

1 Like

Re: Jega Faults IGP, Says No Law Bars Waiting After Voting by Baawaa(m): 6:20am On Mar 21, 2015
SeverusSnape:
Bros, 2011 is different from now, The polity is more heated, the atmosphere is tensed.
We should not deceive ourselves, we all know what is on ground
Re: Jega Faults IGP, Says No Law Bars Waiting After Voting by joe4christ(m): 6:22am On Mar 21, 2015
I smell frontpage.

My prediction must come to pass, then you can call me Prophet Joe... cheesy
Re: Jega Faults IGP, Says No Law Bars Waiting After Voting by SeverusSnape(m): 6:22am On Mar 21, 2015
Baawaa:

We should not deceive ourselves, we all know what is on ground
What is "on ground"?... Tell me.
Re: Jega Faults IGP, Says No Law Bars Waiting After Voting by lilbabyak(m): 6:24am On Mar 21, 2015
SeverusSnape:

Can you see the immature nature of some people??... PDP police??.. So it's no more Nigerian police force?... Why don't you call it "Jonathan police"? undecided
oga this early morning?
you dey wait make I comment?
you life get k leg
Re: Jega Faults IGP, Says No Law Bars Waiting After Voting by SeverusSnape(m): 6:25am On Mar 21, 2015
lilbabyak:

oga this early morning?
you dey wait make I comment?
you life get k leg
Speak English please. Almajiric Fool
Re: Jega Faults IGP, Says No Law Bars Waiting After Voting by Baawaa(m): 6:27am On Mar 21, 2015
SeverusSnape:

What is "on ground"?... Tell me.
If you want to know,is one of RIGGING Strategy for PDP
Re: Jega Faults IGP, Says No Law Bars Waiting After Voting by Nobody: 6:28am On Mar 21, 2015
SeverusSnape:

Yes, since the statement contradicts the law, it becomes 'a law created by pdp police', because the Nigeria Police is presumed to be law abiding.

1 Like

Re: Jega Faults IGP, Says No Law Bars Waiting After Voting by madridguy(m): 6:28am On Mar 21, 2015
Nigeria police with their wayo..
Re: Jega Faults IGP, Says No Law Bars Waiting After Voting by SeverusSnape(m): 6:29am On Mar 21, 2015
Baawaa:

If you want to know,is one of RIGGING Strategy for PDP
Shut your trap!.....APC is now a saint! undecided
Re: Jega Faults IGP, Says No Law Bars Waiting After Voting by SeverusSnape(m): 6:31am On Mar 21, 2015
StealthIdeals:
[s]Yes, since the statement contradicts the law, it becomes 'a law created by pdp police', because the Nigeria Police is presumed to be law abiding[/s].
Rubbish!!!....Even if the statement "contradicts the law", Does it mean the NPF is now PDP police....Are we right to say bokoharam is APC military wing because Buhari is a bit sympathetic to them
Re: Jega Faults IGP, Says No Law Bars Waiting After Voting by Nobody: 6:32am On Mar 21, 2015
Chiefpriest1:
Everyone should be on the alert on election day to avoid stories that touch the heart. No politician is worth dying for.

Stay if the atmosphere is conducive, otherwise run for your dear life to escape from the agents of death.

wise advice for those that have ears to hear.
Re: Jega Faults IGP, Says No Law Bars Waiting After Voting by TeamSimple(m): 6:40am On Mar 21, 2015
Its now or never, I will vote and wait to be sure my vote counts..#Trustnobody. Definitely not INEC.

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Role In The Civil War – Awolowo / Aba The City Of Glory / You're A Stupid Buffon - Ghana's President Attacks Obasanjo Over GEJ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.