Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,476 members, 7,816,122 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:48 AM

Software Developers Could Save Nigeria After Oil - Mark Essien - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Software Developers Could Save Nigeria After Oil - Mark Essien (15990 Views)

Devcenter Launches Job Platform For Software Developers / Why Do Nigerian Software Developers Avoid Maven When Building Java Applications? / Nigeria Software Developers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Software Developers Could Save Nigeria After Oil - Mark Essien by Xaintkelvin(m): 8:52am On Mar 21, 2015
our government can't help us why not help ourselves we can start from somewhere. let us who have the same interest come together and start something
Re: Software Developers Could Save Nigeria After Oil - Mark Essien by Nobody: 8:53am On Mar 21, 2015

1 Like

Re: Software Developers Could Save Nigeria After Oil - Mark Essien by GodMode: 8:57am On Mar 21, 2015
Hasino2258:
is not all about having skilled programmers we need skilled programmers with innovation and Ideals.

Been a skilled programmer takes years of training..

All programmers are innovators...

If you know what it takes to create, build, reason and analyse like an average programmer you won't make such comments..

Its like combining maths, english and science at the same time... Just to create a software.. That in the end our fellow NIGERIANS like kastonkastrol and voltron would say s:hit about Nigerian-made software...
Re: Software Developers Could Save Nigeria After Oil - Mark Essien by GodMode: 9:02am On Mar 21, 2015
dhtml18:

We already have (take it from a guy that codes literarily on the streets, i hear lots of stuffs and am very much up to date), what we lack is bodies (governmental or private) to invest into such. Without funding, there is nothing that will happen to those ideas except to die a natural death out of frustration.

You say this ^^^^^

Then say this. vvvvv

dhtml18:

Thank you o jare, very nice points.

To this. vvvvvv

Billyonaire:
The IT field is not a local niche. You can practically sell a great e-solution or product in the global market square. Work local, but think global. Thanks.

Very strange
Re: Software Developers Could Save Nigeria After Oil - Mark Essien by Nobody: 9:05am On Mar 21, 2015
dhtml18:

I dont quite agree with you, i think if government supports us, there will be more positive results - the kind seun osewa is talking about. I dont wish to create so much arguments here, but our environment at the moment is very harsh for programmers any way you wish to look at it.
yeah it will be a great thing if the government support you guys but I don't see that happening in the next 100years to come. Maybe someday the nigerian government will invest in software developing by enabling a good operating environment for our software developers and engineers, but currently nobody is talking about that. The two major contestants for the presidential seat are yet to mention anything like "software developers" in their campaign speeches. Btw lack of investing in software engineers is not only a problem peculiar to Nigeria alone but to Africa as a whole.

Our leaders are only talking about agriculture, reviving dead industries etc. They don't talk about technology which is the future. Is kinda sad though.

Anyway it will really be a promising future if our government invest in you guys in the nearest future.
cheesy
Re: Software Developers Could Save Nigeria After Oil - Mark Essien by GodMode: 9:29am On Mar 21, 2015
Xaintkelvin:
our government can't help us why not help ourselves we can start from somewhere. let us who have the same interest come together and start something

Like what

1 Like

Re: Software Developers Could Save Nigeria After Oil - Mark Essien by Nobody: 9:30am On Mar 21, 2015
Billyonaire:
The IT field is not a local niche. You can practically sell a great e-solution or product in the global market square. Work local, but think global. Thanks.
yeah I quite agree with you on this

1 Like

Re: Software Developers Could Save Nigeria After Oil - Mark Essien by GodMode: 9:40am On Mar 21, 2015
Billyonaire:

Its very hard for Nigerians to sell globally online... Nigeria's internet reputation is very bad...

its hard for people to do online transactions with Nigerians...

2 Likes

Re: Software Developers Could Save Nigeria After Oil - Mark Essien by Nobody: 9:50am On Mar 21, 2015
GodMode:

Its very hard for Nigerians to sell globally online... Nigeria's internet reputation is very bad...

its hard for people to do online transactions with Nigerians...
Yea, but people are doing online transactions daily. Almost all our products are imported, so most businesses interact with their partners and manufacturers online. 419 reputation cant stop a determined Nigerian from convincing foreigners that he/she is for real. Kill your fears and doubts with a sledge hammer my friend.

2 Likes

Re: Software Developers Could Save Nigeria After Oil - Mark Essien by GodMode: 10:01am On Mar 21, 2015
Billyonaire:
Yea, but people are doing online transactions daily. Almost all our products are [b]imported, [/b]so most businesses interact with their partners and manufacturers online. 419 reputation cant stop a determined Nigerian from convincing foreigners that he/she is for real. Kill your fears and doubts with a sledge hammer my friend.

I mean sell not buy...

Which foreigner wouldn't want to sell his products

Its easy for Nigerians to sell to Nigerians... But selling globally is challenging...
Re: Software Developers Could Save Nigeria After Oil - Mark Essien by Nobody: 10:44am On Mar 21, 2015
'trollin. . . .
Re: Software Developers Could Save Nigeria After Oil - Mark Essien by Nobody: 11:14am On Mar 21, 2015
GodMode:

I mean sell not buy...

Which foreigner wouldn't want to sell his products

Its easy for Nigerians to sell to Nigerians... But selling globally is challenging...
You are one of a kind, always believing everything Nigerian must be lower quality than what is sold abroad. And another problem with your reasoning methodology is; Any time you hear the word abroad, your mind goes to America, Europe and Canada. Does it occur to you that Nigerians can export softwares to Ghana, Togo, Benin, all other African countries, Asia and Oceania ?

Please endeavor to overhaul your thought process, its negatively infectious. No offense, just helping you think right.

1 Like

Re: Software Developers Could Save Nigeria After Oil - Mark Essien by GoodBoi1(m): 11:24am On Mar 21, 2015
Seun:
The software development aspect of ICT actually doesn't require much power. How much power does a laptop require?
Seems you didn't consider the learners.
Re: Software Developers Could Save Nigeria After Oil - Mark Essien by Nobody: 11:41am On Mar 21, 2015
GodMode:

Been a skilled programmer takes years of training..

All programmers are innovators...

If you know what it takes to create, build, reason and analyse like an average programmer you won't make such comments..

Its like combining maths, english and science at the same time... Just to create a software.. That in the end our fellow NIGERIANS like kastonkastrol and voltron would say s:hit about Nigerian-made software...

You are definitely not a programmer looking at your method to reasoning. I did not say Shi.t about Nigerian made software. I have used some that run payroll payments on an enterprise scale. What I was referring to is the culture of birthing IT hubs, encouraging IT curriculum upgrade from primary school level and IT folks thinking like business professionals and entrepreneurs rather than hustlers. Is it not in this same Nigeria a minister tried to sell the .ng domain extension and registrar rights to a foreigner for $4,000. If at that level this kind of dull reasoning is happening, what do you Think will happen at the lower ranks?
Re: Software Developers Could Save Nigeria After Oil - Mark Essien by Nobody: 11:43am On Mar 21, 2015
True post.
Re: Software Developers Could Save Nigeria After Oil - Mark Essien by GodMode: 11:58am On Mar 21, 2015
Billyonaire:
You are one of a kind, always believing everything Nigerian must be lower quality than what is sold abroad. And another problem with your reasoning methodology is; Any time you hear the word abroad, your mind goes to America, Europe and Canada. Does it occur to you that Nigerians can export softwares to Ghana, Togo, Benin, all other African countries, Asia and Oceania ?

Please endeavor to overhaul your thought process, its negatively infectious. No offense, just helping you think right.

Most Nigerian payment gateways can only receive payments from other Nigerians not Africans..

Most popular e-commerce sites where selling is done are U.S websites... which is also where Ghana, Togo, Benin, all other African countries, Asia and middle east countries do their buying
Re: Software Developers Could Save Nigeria After Oil - Mark Essien by GodMode: 12:01pm On Mar 21, 2015
voltron:

You are definitely not a programmer looking at your method to reasoning. I did not say Shi.t about Nigerian made software. I have used some that run payroll payments on an enterprise scale. What I was referring to is the culture of birthing IT hubs, encouraging IT curriculum upgrade from primary school level and IT folks thinking like business professionals and entrepreneurs rather than hustlers. Is it not in this same Nigeria a minister tried to sell the .ng domain extension and registrar rights to a foreigner for $4,000. If at that level this kind of dull reasoning is happening, what do you Think will happen at the lower ranks?

First question is why would Nigeria want to sell .ng to a foreigner

You said "IT folks thinking like business professionals and entrepreneurs rather than hustlers"

Second question... How do business professionals and entrepreneurs think
Re: Software Developers Could Save Nigeria After Oil - Mark Essien by Sweetguy25: 12:09pm On Mar 21, 2015
I dont know if I will call this wishful thinking or delusions of grandeur. What is the current level of expertise and knowledge in the Nigerian software industry? What is the value of the nigerian software industry in 2015? I doubt if our software industry is worth up 10 million dollars at the moment. Expecting our software industry to be a major revenue earner for the government and the country is nothing but a pipe dream.
Re: Software Developers Could Save Nigeria After Oil - Mark Essien by dejibimbo(m): 12:17pm On Mar 21, 2015
Comment really reserved.....
We will get there someday....just around the corner...

From a global point of view...or let me say with the way things are going, that is looking at where the developed countries are heading, and where technology itself is heading towards....software development would become more and more lucrative, even for those who know how to develop in just one language...not to talk of multi-linguists...

I saw a video on youtube of a door lock that gets unlocked when your phone is close to the door...of an umbrella with Bluetooth, which alerts your phone when you leave you umbrella behind....

What I will say is for us to start positioning ourselves for what the future is turning out to become....and be prepared in terms of technical skills (programming skill et al...), business management skills...and all the other skills that will help position us well in a future driven by technology

Then....am not sure if its existent in Nigeria...do have have electronics plants in Nigeria where 'small' electronic gadjets are manufactured? Like the smart door knob I talked about...I wonder if such could be manufactured in Nigeria, without needs of importing parts...I think that's where china glories...they manufacture small electronics...even 'useless' ones...

@dhtml....thanks for sharing this word with us..."techgineer"...I've not heard it b4...*smiles*
@seun thanks for sharing the post...wish to get to you level and surpass you someday...
Re: Software Developers Could Save Nigeria After Oil - Mark Essien by Nobody: 1:30pm On Mar 21, 2015
^^^Thank you o jare.
Re: Software Developers Could Save Nigeria After Oil - Mark Essien by Nobody: 1:31pm On Mar 21, 2015
GodMode:

You said "IT folks thinking like business professionals and entrepreneurs rather than hustlers"

Hope you can see why i dont like arguing with you now? It makes me feel like a wanna-be programmer instead of an expert software engineer for that matter.
Re: Software Developers Could Save Nigeria After Oil - Mark Essien by 40dogzz(m): 1:43pm On Mar 21, 2015
Nough said man! If u want 2 talk they will tell u resource control. Imagine malaysia does not have the amount of oil we have, but their gdp is bigger than ours. I always say the americans don't have play mate, coz their biz modle is just too great. E.g Apple, micro soft, oracle, facebook, google, snapchart, twitter & more. Half of africans gdp is apple's worth. They ar worth more than exonn oil. Malaysia have a mlm company that generates 1billion usd a year. why can't nigeria has it's own? Immagine the wealth it will create for Nigerians.
Re: Software Developers Could Save Nigeria After Oil - Mark Essien by laykhorn(m): 2:08pm On Mar 21, 2015
this is exactly what has lingered in my mind for some time now. We need to start a tech revolution. This should start with you and me...
What is the contribution and efforts of people like Seun Osewa, Mark Essien and Sims Shagaya who have made it big in IT. Nairaland doesnt even have an office yet.
Oga Seun, How does relatively low profiled people like myself who have nothing more than some knowledge in C, Python and Web development under their belt contribute? I want a reply
Re: Software Developers Could Save Nigeria After Oil - Mark Essien by trendymart(m): 2:22pm On Mar 21, 2015
Nice one!!!

I have a business concept that works like olx and alibaba but dont have the needed skills to build the online platform.
So i need a developer to work with. how do i locate one?
already earning from my concept but need to expand....pls help

thanks
Re: Software Developers Could Save Nigeria After Oil - Mark Essien by UuzbaGuuzba: 2:39pm On Mar 21, 2015
Software cannot do anything. Don't decieve yourself.
Go and farm. Produce actual crops and goods.
No amount of typing on phones and PC keyboards can develop any nation

Produce Products.
If oil finishes, produce something else. Farm
Re: Software Developers Could Save Nigeria After Oil - Mark Essien by Seun(m): 3:06pm On Mar 21, 2015
laykhorn:
Oga Seun, How does relatively low profiled people like myself who have nothing more than some knowledge in C, Python and Web development under their belt contribute? I want a reply
Develop websites and management portals for local businesses around you using your knowledge. When your skills are world class, offer the same service to foreigners over the Internet. At that point you'll start earning dollars. You can also choose to become a webmaster.

1 Like

Re: Software Developers Could Save Nigeria After Oil - Mark Essien by Nobody: 3:25pm On Mar 21, 2015
GodMode:

Because the real IT community where not organized as a community in a true sense, hence IT policies enacted by the Federal Government at national and State levels did not reflect the true evolution of IT across developing and developed countries of the world. This reflected in our Education System and Business Operations in the Private/Public Sector - When did you notice the drive for automation in private/public sectors - was it not in the last decade and half?

FYI.. before the .ng domain was taken over by the specially constituted NiRA before that it was hosted in Hamburg (Germany) by an individual contracted to manage it. When the Internet era blew-up big in Nigeria. some Nigerians especially in government qtrs became interested in it. Unfortunately this was under the ministry of information and apparently not having the expertise nor infrastructure to handle such a nation-wide brand tried to resell it. I will find the link and post it

When an IT person thinks like a hustler, they basically appreciate the depth of their knowledge and skill in a particular field and demonstrate it pretty damn well. the only difference between an IT Hustler and an IT Entreprenuer/Innovator is that the latter can transform an idea into a profitable venture that not only delivers ground-breaking value locally/internationally, their solutions can compete with the best internationally e.g Nairaland and @SEUN or Jobberman or Chinedu Echeruo App bought by Aple

In a few words - Business Professionals and Entrepreneurs think from a bird's eye view. They think about unfounded opportunities (gaps or unfulfilled needs) to innovate or provide value on a massive scale.. think of Jim Ovia, Seun Osewa, Marc Andreessen, Simdul Shagaya, Ayodeji Adewunmi etc
Re: Software Developers Could Save Nigeria After Oil - Mark Essien by majalisa(m): 3:28pm On Mar 21, 2015
UuzbaGuuzba:
Software cannot do anything. Don't decieve yourself.
Go and farm. Produce actual crops and goods.
No amount of typing on phones and PC keyboards can develop any nation

Produce Products.
If oil finishes, produce something else. Farm
it seems you are under estimating the power of technology..believe me those aforement adjectives u mentioned will not only develop a nation but sustain it
Re: Software Developers Could Save Nigeria After Oil - Mark Essien by toshodei: 4:13pm On Mar 21, 2015
Instead of arguing back and forth, lets just post right here or better yet make a thread of problems that many internet entrepreneurs face in Nigeria and solutions/opportunies on how to solve them. So far we have

1. Not enough stable power supply
2. Bad internet reputation for Nigerians
3. Any more?
Re: Software Developers Could Save Nigeria After Oil - Mark Essien by seyiade50: 5:29pm On Mar 21, 2015
Allow me to contribute my brothers! First I introduce myself as a technologist who studied building in school. Yes I also write software because, as I said, I love technology. Our man has a point but perhaps carried it too far. Let me explain. We have professionals in general who are far more hardworking than the guys from the big guns (not just developers). But OUR PROBLEM EVERYWHERE IS LACK OF ORIGINALITY. We arre the best imitators but this always leaves u forever playing catchup. Number one before new tech reach a tech importer like Nigeria, the whole world already knows too much. We would forever be playing catchup. Point is we need to take the things we already know (all techs); bring our best minds together and RESEARCH. We can do things that have niot been done before. I know because I can do that (by the grace of God). I am sick and tired of learning everything from abroad with no knowledge to export. Thus the solution lies with a sponsor (govt or private any will do), not hustling developers LOLS (write ur own for Nigerians but don't expect to export anything). I rest my case.
Re: Software Developers Could Save Nigeria After Oil - Mark Essien by gj22(m): 9:44pm On Mar 21, 2015
Software development is a broad field and you actually need the basics to be a full part of it. Unfortunately, these so called basics are basics around the world but not basic in Nigeria.

I am a software developer for BlackBerry world and being/living in Nigeria is the sole challenge I face.

Firstly, there is the "power" problem, we all know what this problem is so I don't need to go into details.

Secondly is the internet problem. Yes, glo 1k bis is not enough when you want to watch online tutorial videos or learn from people that actually know dafuq they are doing.

Thirdly is the reputation problem. Nigeria's reputation for scamming is really hurting software developers taking part in the global market which is the internet.
PayPal shut us out so, we have to look for jobs that do not require PayPal specifically. This is really discouraging especially when you are just starting . For instance,if you make 100$ in a month selling BlackBerry apps, barely half of that would get to you due to one fee or the other for using bank wire transfers instead of the general PayPal. And some it's either PayPal or no payment.

Long story short, until Nigeria becomes accepted in the global "virtual" market, being an independent software developer is going to be hurdle after hurdle.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Microcontroller Programming Corner / Sage OS (HTML5) : The Development (with download link) / What Programming Languages Do You Know?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.