Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,003 members, 7,817,964 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:16 AM

Cultural Practice In Wedding You Dislike Most? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Cultural Practice In Wedding You Dislike Most? (2132 Views)

The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) / 6 Most Bizarre African Cultural Practice Still In Existence.[pics] / Adopted Western Culture That You Dislike. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cultural Practice In Wedding You Dislike Most? by Nobody: 5:08pm On Mar 21, 2015
As for me (yoruba girl) the cultural practice I just don't like at all is that of choosing clothes. I respect my culture and I get it if the immediate families of the bride and groom wear the same clothes, but I just don't know why the guests also have to choose clothes. For me it just makes life stressful for someone going about giving them clothes. And also its a waste of money.

What if someone doesn't have money at that time to buy your chosen wedding clothes but they have to come Why not just wear what you have and come that way?

So nairalanders, what aspect of your culture practised during weddings do you dislike most?
Re: Cultural Practice In Wedding You Dislike Most? by simplemach(m): 5:11pm On Mar 21, 2015
Aunty wetin i hate pass na that HUGE money wen person go must spend before him marry. Make una cancel am.
Re: Cultural Practice In Wedding You Dislike Most? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Mar 21, 2015
The part i hate in wedding is when the couple will just be sitting there watching other people while they are eating in reception angry
and i also hate the part where u have to wear the colour or design of clothes, they said people must wear. Mtchew.
Re: Cultural Practice In Wedding You Dislike Most? by Nobody: 5:38pm On Mar 21, 2015
the only main thing I hate is when the MC wastes people's time talking plenty.
I hate the paparazzi moments, why don't we just make it natural?shoot as you sight.
I hate sitting for too long.
I hate wasting time.

I will marry a northerner, and it will be so brief. Light party, with no MC, no items list and all that... just get there and join the party, I will leave the venue with my wife when we don tire. no time!

1 Like

Re: Cultural Practice In Wedding You Dislike Most? by Nobody: 5:43pm On Mar 21, 2015
simplemach:
Aunty wetin i hate pass na that HUGE money wen person go must spend before him marry. Make una cancel am.
But dats not cultural practice. Dat one is just 'being nigerian'. U can't escape it.
Re: Cultural Practice In Wedding You Dislike Most? by adanduka: 5:44pm On Mar 21, 2015
I HATE WHEN COUPLES WHO HAVE SPENT THEIR LIFE SAVINGS ON THEIR WEDDING ALLOCATE TWO HOURS TO BRIDAL DANCE
Re: Cultural Practice In Wedding You Dislike Most? by Cutehector(m): 5:45pm On Mar 21, 2015
Wen food finishes!
Re: Cultural Practice In Wedding You Dislike Most? by Nobody: 5:47pm On Mar 21, 2015
EroticAngelina:
The part i hate in wedding is when the couple will just be sitting there watching other people while they are eating in reception angry
and i also hate the part where u have to wear the colour or design of clothes, they said people must wear. Mtchew.

Haba, its dat food part dat got me laughing. But if twere me, ill sneak inside d room and go eat to my fill.
bsds, tis ur weddin so ur expected to be 'filled with excitement' and not expected to need food.
Re: Cultural Practice In Wedding You Dislike Most? by Nobody: 5:49pm On Mar 21, 2015
shadowgwalker:
the only main thing I hate is when the MC wastes people's time talking plenty.
I hate the paparazzi moments, why don't we just make it natural?shoot as you sight.
I hate sitting for too long.
I hate wasting time.

I will marry a northerner, and it will be so brief. Light party, with no MC, no items list and all that... just get there and join the party, I will leave the venue with my wife when we don tire. no time!
Oh so u mean wedding among d northerners is usually brief?
Re: Cultural Practice In Wedding You Dislike Most? by Nobody: 5:51pm On Mar 21, 2015
adanduka:
I HATE WHEN COUPLES WHO HAVE SPENT THEIR LIFE SAVINGS ON THEIR WEDDING ALLOCATE TWO HOURS TO BRIDAL DANCE
U mean u want more time for d dance. As 4 me, I'd rather cut off dat dance part.
Re: Cultural Practice In Wedding You Dislike Most? by Nobody: 5:53pm On Mar 21, 2015
Cutehector:
Wen food finishes!
Srry dats not a cultural practice, but I guess dat gives one idea to always save food for bride nd groom b4 d food mongers do dere job.
Re: Cultural Practice In Wedding You Dislike Most? by Nobody: 5:53pm On Mar 21, 2015
qbd2:

Haba, its dat food part dat got me laughing. But if twere me, ill sneak inside d room and go eat to my fill.
bsds, tis ur weddin so ur expected to be 'filled with excitement' and not expected to need food.
but still!!!! Its torture just sitting there watching ur guests eat, and u not eating. I went to a wedding last saturday, and the groom's eyes were red when we were eating all the orishirishi there! The way he was looking like an hungry dog who has not eaten for ten days embarassed and the sweet aroma of the food wasnt helping one bit. I felt the groom's pain grin if its my wedding, i no go gree oooo! We must all chop at the same time woh.
Re: Cultural Practice In Wedding You Dislike Most? by Cutehector(m): 5:55pm On Mar 21, 2015
qbd2:

Srry dats not a cultural practice, but I guess dat gives one idea to always save food for bride nd groom b4 d food mongers do dere job.
lol was just kiddn. D igbo traditional marriage is so on point so dr is nothin annoyin abt it.
Re: Cultural Practice In Wedding You Dislike Most? by ifekemmie(f): 5:58pm On Mar 21, 2015
D part i hate is wen d engager is exhorting pple in d name of prayer n dis waste a lot of time on engagement, wich makes d couple rushing for church/registry
Re: Cultural Practice In Wedding You Dislike Most? by Nobody: 6:02pm On Mar 21, 2015
Cutehector:
lol was just kiddn. D igbo traditional marriage is so on point so dr is nothin annoyin abt it.
Iffa hear say? I'm not igbo but I've heard d amount u ve to spend on different family memebrs can be killing. Correct me though if I'm wrong.
Re: Cultural Practice In Wedding You Dislike Most? by Nobody: 6:05pm On Mar 21, 2015
EroticAngelina:
but still!!!! Its torture just sitting there watching ur guests eat, and u not eating. I went to a wedding last saturday, and the groom's eyes were red when we were eating all the orishirishi there! The way he was looking like an hungry dog who has not eaten for ten days embarassed and the sweet aroma of the food wasnt helping one bit. I felt the groom's pain grin if its my wedding, i no go gree oooo! We must all chop at the same time woh.
Maybe we need to start allocating a seperate time for 'bride nd groom dining'
Re: Cultural Practice In Wedding You Dislike Most? by Cutehector(m): 6:06pm On Mar 21, 2015
qbd2:

Iffa hear say? I'm not igbo but I've heard d amount u ve to spend on different family memebrs can be killing. Correct me though if I'm wrong.
its because we r well endowed wit money grin. Ego n'ekwu. Maney grin well categorically speaking if am to get married to any woman in nigeria, I'd still manage d igbo woman.
Re: Cultural Practice In Wedding You Dislike Most? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Mar 21, 2015
ifekemmie:
D part i hate is wen d engager is exhorting pple in d name of prayer n dis waste a lot of time on engagement, wich makes d couple rushing for church/registry
I'm exatly familiar with dis aspect but I know about having to come to stage to speand money
Re: Cultural Practice In Wedding You Dislike Most? by Nobody: 6:34pm On Mar 21, 2015
Cutehector:
its because we r well endowed wit money grin. Ego n'ekwu. Maney grin well categorically speaking if am to get married to any woman in nigeria, I'd still manage d igbo woman.
U speak for urself, maybe not so for others.
Re: Cultural Practice In Wedding You Dislike Most? by Cutehector(m): 6:45pm On Mar 21, 2015
qbd2:

U speak for urself, maybe not so for others.
well am not married yet so wen it comes, I'd let u knw grin
Re: Cultural Practice In Wedding You Dislike Most? by Nobody: 7:34pm On Mar 21, 2015
qbd2:

Oh so u mean wedding among d northerners is usually brief?
their traditional part, yes.
only like the other zones that will invite the world and borrow money to fix one baddest party. lol
Re: Cultural Practice In Wedding You Dislike Most? by Nobody: 7:39pm On Mar 21, 2015
qbd2:

U mean u want more time for d dance. As 4 me, I'd rather cut off dat dance part.
you are on point. person go dey fake dance wey no dey e mind.
Re: Cultural Practice In Wedding You Dislike Most? by simplemach(m): 9:20pm On Mar 21, 2015
qbd2:

But dats not cultural practice. Dat one is just 'being nigerian'. U can't escape it.
dat one follow ooo!
Re: Cultural Practice In Wedding You Dislike Most? by adanduka: 10:16pm On Mar 22, 2015
qbd2:

Want more dance? shocked They spend too long on bridal dance in the hopes that they'll get sprayed more money grin

1 Like

Re: Cultural Practice In Wedding You Dislike Most? by Nobody: 6:11pm On Mar 31, 2015
The part i hate is after Ppl don chop d food and dem start opening d present given to d couples only to start seeing plastic cups,spoons, soap and all dos nonsence wey dem wrapped like beta thing...
I be like
#warris dis...............lols

1 Like

Re: Cultural Practice In Wedding You Dislike Most? by Penssuwa(m): 9:33am On Apr 01, 2015
There is no part I hate most than when MC starts calling on people he believes are rich (those that are well dressed) to cut the cake or clean the couple's seat with a certain amount of money. It's most embarrassing when you don't have such money or verbal dexterity of scuttling out of the circumstance. I've been a victim once.
Re: Cultural Practice In Wedding You Dislike Most? by Exjoker(m): 9:44am On Apr 01, 2015
Paying of Bride Price
Re: Cultural Practice In Wedding You Dislike Most? by Nobody: 1:07pm On Apr 01, 2015
akinsal:
The part i hate is after Ppl don chop d food and dem start opening d present given to d couples only to start seeing plastic cups,spoons, soap and all dos nonsence wey dem wrapped like beta thing...
I be like
#warris dis...............lols
If someone tries dat with me ehn? Well, ill just do d same to him or herwhen any of his/ her ceremonies come. But ill use an anonymous name .
Re: Cultural Practice In Wedding You Dislike Most? by Nobody: 1:11pm On Apr 01, 2015
Penssuwa:
There is no part I hate most than when MC starts calling on people he believes are rich (those that are well dressed) to cut the cake or clean the couple's seat with a certain amount of money. It's most embarrassing when you don't have such money or verbal dexterity of scuttling out of the circumstance. I've been a victim once.
Seriously I didn't know of dat one. Guess nigerians now know where d money is and r bent on taking it. When next u go to a wedding ur sure of dat ull be called for such, just cash less change in ur wallet and leave just 20 naira in it. If they call u, open d wallet wide so tey can see and give them like tha.
Re: Cultural Practice In Wedding You Dislike Most? by Nobody: 1:13pm On Apr 01, 2015
Exjoker:
Paying of Bride Price
Hmm don't bring dat one cos it has both cultural and religious origin. Even I the op will surely take my bride price. But if ur talking about those very high bride prices, then maybe u ave a point.
Re: Cultural Practice In Wedding You Dislike Most? by Nobody: 1:15pm On Apr 01, 2015
adanduka:

Want more dance? shocked They spend too long on bridal dance in the hopes that they'll get sprayed more money grin
they spent their money to entertain u, so they r just trying to make back dat money out of u.
Re: Cultural Practice In Wedding You Dislike Most? by Nobody: 1:17pm On Apr 01, 2015
shadowgwalker:
you are on point. person go dey fake dance wey no dey e mind.
But someone said they get sprayed money while dancing, maybe dats y some folks still choose to keep it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria / The Bini-ife Seniority Crises: Science To The Rescue / Do You Think Women Can Really Have It All? And How?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.