Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,929 members, 7,814,126 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:20 AM

Is Moses Actually The Writer Of Deuteronomy ?? ( Proof ) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Moses Actually The Writer Of Deuteronomy ?? ( Proof ) (2676 Views)

Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? / An Atheist's Interpretation Of Deuteronomy 25:11-12. / What Was Actually The Forbidden Fruit In The Garden Of Eden?fruit Or Fornication (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Moses Actually The Writer Of Deuteronomy ?? ( Proof ) by Nobody: 11:15pm On Mar 21, 2015
Moses is generally believed to have written the first five books of the Old testament of the Holy Bible namely Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy.
However my question is could Moses have written Deuteronomy as the account of how he died is written in Deuteronomy Chapter 34.
If it was Moses that wrote the book, Does it mean he wrote about his own Death ??
Re: Is Moses Actually The Writer Of Deuteronomy ?? ( Proof ) by malvisguy212: 11:39pm On Mar 21, 2015
Iamsynord:
Moses is generally believed to have written the first five books of the Old testament of the Holy Bible namely Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy.
However my question is could Moses have written Deuteronomy as the account of how he died is written in Deuteronomy Chapter 34.
If it was Moses that wrote the book, Does it mean he wrote about his own Death ??
Moses did not write chapter 34, God had told Moses that he would not be able to lead the children of Israel into the Promised Land because of his prior disobedience ( Numbers 20:12) and that he would die in Moab. Deuteronomy 34 relates how Moses was allowed to view Canaan from afar before he died.after Moses died the leadership go to Joshua.it is possible that Joshua wrote the end of Moses life or the seventy elders who served under Moses (Exodus 24:9).
Re: Is Moses Actually The Writer Of Deuteronomy ?? ( Proof ) by Infomizer(m): 6:40am On Mar 22, 2015
Ignore who wrote what. Focus on what was written.

1 Like

Re: Is Moses Actually The Writer Of Deuteronomy ?? ( Proof ) by johnydon22(m): 6:55am On Mar 22, 2015
malvisguy212:
Moses did not write chapter 34, God had told Moses that he would not be able to lead the children of Israel into the Promised Land because of his prior disobedience ( Numbers 20:12) and that he would die in Moab. Deuteronomy 34 relates how Moses was allowed to view Canaan from afar before he died.after Moses died the leadership go to Joshua.it is possible that Joshua wrote the end of Moses life or the seventy elders who served under Moses (Exodus 24:9).
excuss me sir! So you actually still think moses wrote the pentateuchs? how old did you say you were again
Re: Is Moses Actually The Writer Of Deuteronomy ?? ( Proof ) by malvisguy212: 8:30am On Mar 22, 2015
johnydon22:

excuss me sir! So you actually still think moses wrote the pentateuchs? how old did you say you were again
Exodus 17:14 "Then the Lord
instructed Moses, 'Write this down
as a permanent record...'"
Exodus 24:4 "Then Moses carefully
wrote down all the Lord's
instructions."
Exodus 34:27 "And the Lord said to
Moses, 'Write down all these
instructions, for they represents the
terms of my covenant with you and
with Israel.'"
Leviticus 1:1 "The Lord called to
Moses from the Tabernacle and said
to him, 'Give the following
instructions to the Israelites...'"
Leviticus 6:8 "Then the Lord said to
Moses, 'Give Aaron and his sons the
following instructions...'"
Deuteronomy 31:9 "So Moses wrote
down this law and gave it to the
priests."
Deuteronomy 31:24-26 "When
Moses had finished writing down
this entire body of law in a book...
Re: Is Moses Actually The Writer Of Deuteronomy ?? ( Proof ) by sinkhole: 8:41am On Mar 22, 2015
malvisguy212:
instructions."
with Israel.'"
priests."
We arw talking about Moses writing a whole history and you are here quoting how God instructs Moses to write laws/constitution or "instructions" that will guide the conduct of the Istrealites!
Re: Is Moses Actually The Writer Of Deuteronomy ?? ( Proof ) by davien(m): 8:43am On Mar 22, 2015
Infomizer:
Dogma threshold reached... grin

1 Like

Re: Is Moses Actually The Writer Of Deuteronomy ?? ( Proof ) by dalaman: 8:45am On Mar 22, 2015
malvisguy212:
instructions."
with Israel.'"
priests."

Still doesn't say that Moses wrote the Pentateuch. Just some specific laws and instructions.
Re: Is Moses Actually The Writer Of Deuteronomy ?? ( Proof ) by johnydon22(m): 8:53am On Mar 22, 2015
malvisguy212:
instructions."
with Israel.'"
priests."
and the law means the whole 5 torah to you? lol this is what you get when adults dont research...
Bros you need to research your own holybook.. the torah was a compilation of works on jewish tradition, laws and mythology written by many unknown scribes in different time frames..
let me just post a pic of the introduction of the pentateuchs by The new community bible

Re: Is Moses Actually The Writer Of Deuteronomy ?? ( Proof ) by Infomizer(m): 8:57am On Mar 22, 2015
davien:
Dogma threshold reached... grin

Lol
Funny enough, I don't know where folks got the idea that Moses wrote em books o (I may be mistaken). I see it as one of the many christianity gists spread without biblical basis (e.g Satan rules Hell, Christ was born on the 25th of December, etc.).

I just dey observe...

1 Like

Re: Is Moses Actually The Writer Of Deuteronomy ?? ( Proof ) by johnydon22(m): 9:04am On Mar 22, 2015
Infomizer:

Lol
Funny enough, I don't know where folks got the idea that Moses wrote em books o (I may be mistaken). I see it as one of the many christianity gists spread without biblical basis (e.g Satan rules Hell, Christ was born on the 25th of December, etc.).

I just dey observe...
Bro torah was a jewish compilation probably after the reformation of josiah when the isreali society turned strictly monotheic and the worship of other canaanite pentheon gods like baal, asherah (yahweh's consort/mother), shalem and others and yahweh was lifted and adopted as the supreme god.

It comprises of works by many scribes on the law, mythological history and numerous other fables.

below is a pic i snapped from the new community bible on introduction to the torah.. read and see its obvious moses wrote no shiii

2 Likes

Re: Is Moses Actually The Writer Of Deuteronomy ?? ( Proof ) by Infomizer(m): 9:12am On Mar 22, 2015
johnydon22:
Bro torah was a jewish compilation probably after the reformation of josiah when the isreali society turned strictly monotheic and the worship of other canaanite pentheon gods like baal, asherah (yahweh's consort/mother), shalem and others and yahweh was lifted and adopted as the supreme god.

It comprises of works by many scribes on the law, mythological history and numerous other fables.

below is a pic i snapped from the new community bible on introduction to the torah.. read and see its obvious moses wrote no shiii

Defo!
An objective reader would never have come to that conclusion. It's quite obvious if you ask me. So also are a couple of other books in the bible ascribed to one author or the other. I think one thread here had thrashed it out though.
Re: Is Moses Actually The Writer Of Deuteronomy ?? ( Proof ) by malvisguy212: 11:02am On Mar 22, 2015
sinkhole:
We arw talking about Moses writing a whole history and you are here quoting how God instructs Moses to write laws/constitution or "instructions" that will guide the conduct of the Istrealites!
Johnnydon and dalaman.

Jesus himself quoted from the pentateuch;

Matthew 22:24 "Moses said, 'If a
man dies without children...'"
Mark 7:10 "For instance, Moses
gave you this law from God..."
Mark 12:24 "...haven't you ever
read about this in the WRITTENS of
Moses, in the story of the burning
bush..."
Luke 24:44 "...I told you that
everything WRITTEN about me by
Moses and the prophets and in the
Psalms must all come true."
John 1:17 "For the law was given
through Moses..."
John 5:46 "But if you had believed
Moses, you would have believed me
because HE WROTE about me. And
since you don't believe what he
wrote, how will you believe what I
say?"

Clearly written here, Moses wrote the pentateuch but the bible never indicate he wrote all, skeptics argument was that Moses wrote the pentateuch when in the first place bible never indicate he did.
Re: Is Moses Actually The Writer Of Deuteronomy ?? ( Proof ) by johnydon22(m): 11:09am On Mar 22, 2015
malvisguy212:
Johnnydon and dalaman.

bush..."
through Moses..."
say?"

Clearly written here, Moses wrote the pentateuch but the bible never indicate he wrote all, skeptics argument was that Moses wrote the pentateuch when in the first place bible never indicate he did.
Jesus quote the pentateuch which means moses must have written them...lmao..Finding facts is really one of your short comings right? cheesy

Re: Is Moses Actually The Writer Of Deuteronomy ?? ( Proof ) by dalaman: 11:14am On Mar 22, 2015
malvisguy212:
Johnnydon and dalaman.

bush..."
through Moses..."
say?"

Repeating a tradition doesn't make it true. The tradition is that Moses wrote those books but the reality points to a very different thing. No where does it say that Moses wrote the Pentateuch. Moses wrote laws and instructions is what was written. Was it Moses that wrote the creation stories in the bible for example? How do you know that? Hope you know that some passages in the Pentateuch were written in the proto Hebrew which is a form of Canaanite language. No scholar that studies the bible in its original language will attempt to say that Moses wrote the Pentateuch. Christians bible scholars are the ones that first pointed that out. What do you know about the Hebrew language or writing styles?
Re: Is Moses Actually The Writer Of Deuteronomy ?? ( Proof ) by Kay17: 11:31am On Mar 22, 2015
malvisguy212:

The question is, did Moses write the book of Deuteronomy? Not why and how he died.
Re: Is Moses Actually The Writer Of Deuteronomy ?? ( Proof ) by Nobody: 11:40am On Mar 22, 2015
Infomizer:

#when a washed brain is exhausted of dogmatic ideas.
Re: Is Moses Actually The Writer Of Deuteronomy ?? ( Proof ) by malvisguy212: 11:46am On Mar 22, 2015
Kay17:

The question is, did Moses write the book of Deuteronomy? Not why and how he died.
I wish this question would've been directed to your atheists friends, the op ask if Moses wrote deutoronumy which I reply, but your atheists friends bring the issue of "who wrote the pentateuch?"

My first post answer the op questionn ,Moses wrote deutoronumy but chapter 34 was not written by Moses.
Re: Is Moses Actually The Writer Of Deuteronomy ?? ( Proof ) by malvisguy212: 11:53am On Mar 22, 2015
dalaman:

Repeating a tradition doesn't make it true. The tradition is that Moses wrote those books but the reality points to a very different thing. No where does it say that Moses wrote the Pentateuch. Moses wrote laws and instructions is what was written. Was it Moses that wrote the creation stories in the bible for example? How do you know that? Hope you know that some passages in the Pentateuch were written in the proto Hebrew which is a form of Canaanite language. No scholar that studies the bible in its original language will attempt to say that Moses wrote the Pentateuch. Christians bible scholars are the ones that first pointed that out. What do you know about the Hebrew language or writing styles?
what proof do you need that Moses wrote the pentateuch? Jesus quoted from the same WRITTEN infacte not only did Jesus quote Moses, Paul quote Moses ;

Acts 26:22 "...I teach nothing except
what the prophets and Moses said
would happen..."
Romans 10:5 "For Moses wrote..."

How would Paul could've known what Moses wrote without reading the torah?Roman 10:5 say "MOSES WROTE" this indicate Moses wrote book,what book if is not the pentateuch?
Re: Is Moses Actually The Writer Of Deuteronomy ?? ( Proof ) by malvisguy212: 11:59am On Mar 22, 2015
johnydon22:

Jesus quote the pentateuch which means moses must have written them...lmao..Finding facts is really one of your short comings right? cheesy
READ about this in the WRITTENS OF
MOSES, in the story of the burning
bush..."

What proof do you need again apart from this? That Moses would resurrect and say he wrote it?
According to this verse ,what did Moses wrote if not the pentateuch?how did the people know Moses wrote a book? Offcorse they read it from the written of Moses.
Re: Is Moses Actually The Writer Of Deuteronomy ?? ( Proof ) by johnydon22(m): 12:05pm On Mar 22, 2015
malvisguy212:
READ about this in the WRITTENS OF
MOSES, in the story of the burning
bush..."

What proof do you need again apart from this? That Moses would resurrect and say he wrote it?
According to this verse ,what did Moses wrote if not the pentateuch?how did the people know Moses wrote a book? Offcorse they read it from the written of Moses.

and we just told you that jewish tradition (even the talmud tho this one is not added to the bible) adopted by christians attributed it to moses but critical literary analysis clearly shows moses wasn't the writer.. it seems you didnt read the bible torah introduction i uploaded for you.. i will upload it agai, try and read it this time..smiley

also read http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torah smiley

Re: Is Moses Actually The Writer Of Deuteronomy ?? ( Proof ) by Infomizer(m): 12:24pm On Mar 22, 2015
MrPresident:

#when a washed brain is exhausted of dogmatic ideas.

Calm down oga president. I could've said the same of Hitler's 'Mein Kampf' or Stalin's 'Dialectical and Historical Materialism'. If you gotta learn from a piece of literature, will you call it dogmatic to pay little or no attention to the author's identity? We've read books whose authors went with pseudonyms (J. D Robb's/Norah Roberts' 'Vengeance in Death') and it didn't make us learn any less from the content of the books..Keep Calm and Get My Point!
Re: Is Moses Actually The Writer Of Deuteronomy ?? ( Proof ) by Nobody: 12:40pm On Mar 22, 2015
Infomizer:

Calm down oga president. I could've said the same of Hitler's 'Mein Kampf' or Stalin's 'Dialectical and Historical Materialism'. If you gotta learn from a piece of literature, will you call it dogmatic to pay little or no attention to the author's identity? We've read books whose authors went with pseudonyms (J. D Robb's/Norah Roberts' 'Vengeance in Death') and it didn't make us learn any less from the content of the books..Keep Calm and Get My Point!

great!! i gat ur point, ...... it's interesting you mentioned a piece of literature, of course that is what we should have been told the bible is, and we shall all be glad to read to learn, not minding the authorship,
but when you claim a somewhat confounding story book is from "GOD", you ought to be ready to answer questions on its authenticity.

hope u gat ma point too?
Re: Is Moses Actually The Writer Of Deuteronomy ?? ( Proof ) by Infomizer(m): 12:42pm On Mar 22, 2015
MrPresident:

great!! i gat ur point, ...... it's interesting you mentioned a piece of literature, of course that is what we should have been told the bible is, and we shall all be glad to read to learn, not minding the authorship,
but when you claim a somewhat confounding story book is from "GOD", you ought to be ready to answer questions on its authenticity.

hope u gat ma point too?

Gbam! Point taken!
As my Hausa peeps would say: Magana Yakare...
Re: Is Moses Actually The Writer Of Deuteronomy ?? ( Proof ) by malvisguy212: 12:56pm On Mar 22, 2015
johnydon22:

and we just told you that jewish tradition (even the talmud tho this one is not added to the bible) adopted by christians attributed it to moses but critical literary analysis clearly shows moses wasn't the writer.. it seems you didnt read the bible torah introduction i uploaded for you.. i will upload it agai, try and read it this time..smiley

also read http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torah smiley
Josephus (37CE – c. 100CE): "For we have
not an innumerable multitude of books
among us, disagreeing from and
contradicting one another [as the Greeks
have], but only twenty-two books, which
contain all the records of all the past
times; which are justly believed to be
divine; and of them FIVE BELONGS TO MOSES,
which contain his laws and the traditions
of the origin of mankind till his death…
the prophets, who were after Moses,
wrote down what was done in their times
in thirteen books. The remaining four
books contain hymns to God, and
precepts for the conduct of human life."
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_the_Hebrew_Bible_canon
Re: Is Moses Actually The Writer Of Deuteronomy ?? ( Proof ) by johnydon22(m): 1:00pm On Mar 22, 2015
malvisguy212:
Josephus (37CE – c. 100CE): "For we have
not an innumerable multitude of books
among us, disagreeing from and
contradicting one another [as the Greeks
have], but only twenty-two books, which
contain all the records of all the past
times; which are justly believed to be
divine; and of them FIVE BELONGS TO MOSES,
which contain his laws and the traditions
of the origin of mankind till his death…
the prophets, who were after Moses,
wrote down what was done in their times
in thirteen books. The remaining four
books contain hymns to God, and
precepts for the conduct of human life."
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_the_Hebrew_Bible_canon
lol and this proves moses wrote it?
How funny you missed the part where i said jewish traditions have it that moses wrote it and he is quoting josephus...lmao.. this guy funnt shaa..

oya read the same wikipedia and all it says about the torahhttp://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torah
Re: Is Moses Actually The Writer Of Deuteronomy ?? ( Proof ) by Nobody: 2:09pm On Mar 22, 2015
dalaman:

Have you done theology? And what happened to the vodoo demonstration video?
Re: Is Moses Actually The Writer Of Deuteronomy ?? ( Proof ) by Kay17: 4:29pm On Mar 22, 2015
malvisguy212:
I wish this question would've been directed to your atheists friends, the op ask if Moses wrote deutoronumy which I reply, but your atheists friends bring the issue of "who wrote the pentateuch?"

My first post answer the op questionn ,Moses wrote deutoronumy but chapter 34 was not written by Moses.

That is because, Deuteronomy is a part of the Pentateuch. Nonetheless, it is obvious that Moses couldn't have written Chapter 34, similarly he couldn't have written the Book for the writing tone. Chapter 34 has the similar writing style and tone with the remainder of the Book of Deuteronomy.
Re: Is Moses Actually The Writer Of Deuteronomy ?? ( Proof ) by dalaman: 5:44am On Mar 23, 2015
malvisguy212:
what proof do you need that Moses wrote the pentateuch? Jesus quoted from the same WRITTEN infacte not only did Jesus quote Moses, Paul quote Moses ;

Acts 26:22 "...I teach nothing except
what the prophets and Moses said
would happen..."
Romans 10:5 "For Moses wrote..."

How would Paul could've known what Moses wrote without reading the torah?Roman 10:5 say "MOSES WROTE" this indicate Moses wrote book,what book if is not the pentateuch?

I just told you that they were only repeating a tradition, the same way muslims claim that an angel recited the Koran to Mohammed. Jesus referenced the Exodus, but most historians say that the exodus is non historical. Hebrew rabbi's are the ones that pointed it out that Moses did not write those books. Can you read Hebrew? Have you ever studied the bible in it's original language?
Re: Is Moses Actually The Writer Of Deuteronomy ?? ( Proof ) by dalaman: 5:45am On Mar 23, 2015
muafrika:
Have you done theology? And what happened to the vodoo demonstration video?

Yes, I have. I am still waiting for them to get back to me on the voodo stuff.

1 Like

Re: Is Moses Actually The Writer Of Deuteronomy ?? ( Proof ) by malvisguy212: 6:53am On Mar 23, 2015
dalaman:

I just told you that they were only repeating a tradition, the same way muslims claim that an angel recited the Koran to Mohammed. Jesus referenced the Exodus, but most historians say that the exodus is non historical. Hebrew rabbi's are the ones that pointed it out that Moses did not write those books. Can you read Hebrew? Have you ever studied the bible in it's original language?
the exedus is historical read here http://www.bibleandscience.com/archaeology/exodus.htm
Re: Is Moses Actually The Writer Of Deuteronomy ?? ( Proof ) by johnydon22(m): 7:59am On Mar 23, 2015
malvisguy212:
the exedus is historical read here http://www.bibleandscience.com/archaeology/exodus.htm
lmao this your link is funnycheesy i am so sorry for christians and their desperate attempt to prove mythology is real.. Goodluck with that grin
let me show you what wikipedia encyclopedia says..

Scholars agree that the Israelite community arose peacefully and internally
in the highlands of Canaan[17] - in the words of archaeologist William
Dever, "most of those who came to call themselves Israelites ... were or
had been indigenous Canaanites." [18] Israelite religion emerged gradually
from the Canaanite milieu.
extracted from http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahweh

and another

The Book of Exodus is not historical narrative in any modern sense.
Modern history writing requires the critical evaluation of sources, and does
not accept God as a cause of events. But in Exodus, everything is
presented as the work of God, who appears frequently in person, and the
historical setting is only very hazily sketched. The purpose of the book
is not to record what really happened, but to reflect the historical
experience of the exile community in Babylon and later Jerusalem, facing
foreign captivity and the need to come to terms with their understanding of
God.
Although mythical elements are not so prominent in Exodus as in Genesis ,
the echoes of ancient legends are crucial to understanding the book's
origins and purpose: for example, the story of the infant Moses's salvation
from the Nile has its basis in an earlier legend of king Sargon, while the
story of the parting of the Red Sea trades on Mesopotamian creation
mythology. Similarly, the Covenant Code (the law code in Exodus 20:22–
23:33) has notable similarities in both content and structure with the Laws
of Hammurabi
. These influences serve to reinforce the conclusion that the
Book of [size=20]Exodus originated in the exiled Jewish community of 6th-century
Babylon[/size], but not all the sources are Mesopotamian:the story of Moses's
flight to Midian following the murder of the Egyptian overseer may draw on
the Egyptian Story of Sinuhe . extracted from http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Exodus

(1) (2) (Reply)

Wakefulness As A Visit To Earth And Sleep As Journey Back Home To Source. / Demons Are Real - My Encounter With A Demon! Real Life! No Vision! My Story / Oriki Ige

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.