Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,133 members, 7,849,549 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 12:14 AM

Jega Replies Police IG: You Can Protect Your Vote After Voting - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jega Replies Police IG: You Can Protect Your Vote After Voting (599 Views)

Jega Replies Jonathan On Comments Over Conduct Of 2015 Election / General Buhari Relaxing With His Wife After Voting / Senator Ndume Broke Down In Tears After Voting In Maiduguri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jega Replies Police IG: You Can Protect Your Vote After Voting by Nobody: 7:15am On Mar 22, 2015
The Inspector-General of Police, Suleiman Abba, and the Chairman of INEC, Professor Attahiru Jega, on Friday clashed over the police chief’s warning to Nigerians to “vote and go home.”

While the IGP had warned voters to go back to their homes immediately after casting their votes on election days, Jega said the electoral law did not state that voters could not or should not wait to watch and ensure that their votes are not manipulated.

The INEC chairman, who appeared as a guest on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily on Friday, said there is no part of the Electoral Act that forbids voters from waiting around the polling booths.

However, the All Progressives Congress tackled the IGP over the “unlawful order.”

In a statement in Lagos by its National Publicity Secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, the party asked voters to rather listen to Jega and stayed behind to protect their votes after casting their ballots.

The statement read, “According to Jega, who appeared on Channels TV on Friday morning, the electoral law says anyone that has no business with the electoral process at the polling booths but desires to monitor events should stay at least some metres away from the polling agents and completely away from the ballot box after casting their votes.

"The INEC Chairman further clarified that all registered voters have businesses with the process and can therefore not be classified as people that don’t have businesses at polling units.

"Therefore, the IGP has no constitutional right or powers under the constitution or Police Act to rewrite the electoral law. The role of the police is to maintain law and order or such other assistance as may be sought from the police by INEC."

http://surenigeria..co.uk/2015/03/jega-replies-police-ig-you-can-protect.html?utm_source=&utm_medium=facebook&m=0

Re: Jega Replies Police IG: You Can Protect Your Vote After Voting by noordean(m): 7:18am On Mar 22, 2015
The IG that's high on weed.
That should b one of dia rigging plans from his oga at d top
Re: Jega Replies Police IG: You Can Protect Your Vote After Voting by oluwafemi113(m): 8:03am On Mar 22, 2015
PDP IG
Re: Jega Replies Police IG: You Can Protect Your Vote After Voting by manutdadex(m): 8:25am On Mar 22, 2015
if u like stay! as for me an leaving asap. I never buy range rover o n am not married yet

1 Like

Re: Jega Replies Police IG: You Can Protect Your Vote After Voting by SomebodyLovesMe: 8:46am On Mar 22, 2015
It is always APC that pushes for transparency.
Re: Jega Replies Police IG: You Can Protect Your Vote After Voting by ephemm(m): 10:13am On Mar 22, 2015
I do not support violence, but I will work against any form of manipulation.

My vote is my right!

(1) (Reply)

APC Paid Blair To Take Photo With Buhari As UK Politicians Refused To Meet Him. / Gej's 6 Weeks Performance A Revelation Of Hidden Agendas / APC Has No Respect For Pastors.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.