Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,441 members, 7,815,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:12 PM

GEJ Vs Tinubu - Lesson For Students Of Political Science - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / GEJ Vs Tinubu - Lesson For Students Of Political Science (971 Views)

Saraki Vs Tinubu Comparism: Why Overrate Bukola Saraki? / Pictures Of Political Thugs Arrested In Rivers By The Military. / GEJ Vs Buhari: Whose Body Language Is More Convincing? Reno Omokri Asks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

GEJ Vs Tinubu - Lesson For Students Of Political Science by gists: 8:24am On Mar 22, 2015
I am not a fan of either Jonathan or Tinubu. But these two compatriots share similar and striking qualities (even though on different sides of a coin) that I think is too strong to ignore.

Tinubu has been in Nigerian political scene for a while but many will only remember his political career since 1992 when he was elected as a senator and then in 199 when he emerged the governor of Lagos.

I repeat I am not a fan of Tinubu, but I can't but respect his administrative prowells and political doggedness. The trait of a leader is to forge a way forward where there seem to be non. Tinubu ran into problem with OBJ and the state's funds were ceased for months unend - infact till the end of his tenure!. I am not sure how many state governors (even today) can survive that type of financial starvation. Yet Tinubu survived and even came out stronger. After the infamous and stupid support of the AD party given to OBJ for his second term tenure (which essentially led to the death of AD), Tinubu formed a new party ACN from SCRATCH. AD has lost all the states it controlled to PDP except Lagos after that naive support for their son under the umbrella. It took the doggedness of Tinubu with his new young party to rest power from the almighty PDP (a party that pride itself as the BIGGEST political party in Africa) in the other 5 south western states.

Among many if not countless supposed evils of this great political calculator, fast forward to 2015, this man has yet again supervised the birth of yet another political party (although using the success of platform of ACN) that is now a thorn in the flesh of the ruling biggest party in Africa - PDP. I personally have a strong opinion -though I may not be totally correct- that the race to Aso Rock in 6 days time is actually between the forces of PDP and Tinubu. General Muhammadu Buhari is a great leader. I am not sure there is any other Nigerian that can get 12 million votes for a party that was hurriedly set up a few months to election and without the support of any billion naira machinery i.e governor, businessmen etc. BUT in my opinion GMB is just a great leader and not a politician. Now, you have to give it to Tinubu whose machinery is giving pdp an excellent run for their money. I know it is not only Tinubu that is steering the APC ship. I know he cannot do it all alone. But the mere fact that he has been able to bring political gladiators together on his side against the mighty PDP is something that shouldn't go unnoticed. It is not easy to setup a new political party and have people lineup behind you to "fight for your course". This election is actually between PDP and Tinubu political machinery - now even if you don't like the man, you have to respect that!

In contrast, the present president Dr. Goodluck Jonathan is seen as meek and gentle (compare to Tinubu) and he has always had it virtually easy. He became the vice president of this country when some cabals decided to pair someone who will not cause the kind of trouble Atiku made with Obasanjo. They wanted a loyal vice to Yar'Adua and Jonathan was considered the most suited candidate ahead of the all ambitious Odili. He knew nothing about the formation of PDP and their is no record (or even rumour) that suggests he schemed his way to the vice presidency slot. It was just pure luck like his name. As God will have it, his boss died. But he soon became a victim of some other sets of cabals (Turai, Andoaka etc) that was bent on preventing him from naturally becoming the president inline with the constitution. It took the courage of the late Dora Akunyili of blessed memory (the then minister of information) that spark an outrage in the country and the cabal was forced out by the likes of Wole Shoyinka and other Nigerian. In other words the people fought to rescue this man from the over bearing cabals even though he was the vice president!

It is on record that this administration met a fairly healthy foreign reserve from previous government. It is also on record that this administration enjoys the best reign of int'l oil price compared to all previous administration combined. Yet the nations foregin reserve is probably at an all time low and ministry budgets are already being hugely slashed.

In 2011 GEJ enjoyed the support of the citizens, with sympathy votes from people across the country. He and emerged the winner of the presidential elections riding on the pre-established platform and national spread of PDP. Today the sympathy has turned to passionate dislike and virtually every region is eager to see an end to this government.

The question I keep asking myself is: How on earth did he manage to lose the sympathy and support he got just four years ago on such a great scale?! How on earth is anyone able to lose many heavy weight political allies to new party?! How on earth can anyone turn pdp - the biggest political party in Africa - to essentially an opposition even though its the incumbent?!

It looks as though God did not create us equally. How else can we explain how is someone able to form a new party and turn it to a major force in the country notwithstanding financial starvation while the other essentially ran down the biggest political party on the continent notwithstanding the established political machinery and almost infinite source of finance!

These tales should, in my opinion be incorporated into the curriculum of political science course of our country.

1 Like

Re: GEJ Vs Tinubu - Lesson For Students Of Political Science by WisdomFlakes: 8:28am On Mar 22, 2015
Comparing Jonathan to a Political giant like Tinubu is tantamount to insulting our collective intelligence. IMHO, Jonathan's influence ends with his Presidency -- I call it the "dollar influence" cheesy.

Can Jonathan's influence win him the PDP Presidential primaries in 2019 against a sitting President Buhari? This is someone who was even afraid to go for Primaries out of fear of losing, a first in the history of the ruling PDP.

2 Likes

Re: GEJ Vs Tinubu - Lesson For Students Of Political Science by Nobody: 8:48am On Mar 22, 2015
You've answered the puzzle in your write up....

One is a dogged born leader of men with a never say never attitude.......the other is a meek, unassuming and flavorless follower that mistakenly had leadership entrusted on him without wanting it.

1 Like

Re: GEJ Vs Tinubu - Lesson For Students Of Political Science by gists: 9:05am On Mar 22, 2015
WisdomFlakes:
Comparing Jonathan to a Political giant like Tinubu is tantamount to insulting our collective intelligence. IMHO, Jonathan's influence ends with his Presidency -- I call it the "dollar influence" cheesy.

Can Jonathan's influence win him the PDP Presidential primaries in 2019 against a sitting President Buhari? This is someone who was even afraid to go for Primaries out of fear of losing, a first in the history of the ruling PDP.

I am very sorry. I do not intend to insult peoples intelligence cheesy
But even with the dollar influence, will this man survive? Some people cannot be bought with money you know - the case of Awujale come to mind.

ilugunboy:
You've answered the puzzle in your write up....
One is a dogged born leader of men with a never say never attitude.......the other is a meek, unassuming and flavorless follower that mistakenly had leadership entrusted on him without wanting i.
You just put a perfect summary to it. But coming from the deprived slums of Bayelsa creeks, one would have expected GEJ to at least have some level of doggedness.
This reminds me of an adage I heard many years ago: A herd of sheep that is led by a lion can conquer a pack of hyenas but a group of lions that is led by a sheep will be consumed by a pack of hyenas
Sad but true. The strength of any community is in its leadership. when the head is weak, the rest is history

1 Like

Re: GEJ Vs Tinubu - Lesson For Students Of Political Science by nuclearboy(m): 9:13am On Mar 22, 2015
Compare Jonathan to Akala, another "lucky" one who only got to power because his boss had issues, spent 4 years fertilizing thugs in transport unions and threw it away
Re: GEJ Vs Tinubu - Lesson For Students Of Political Science by gists: 12:59pm On Mar 22, 2015
nuclearboy:
Compare Jonathan to Akala, another "lucky" one who only got to power because his boss had issues, spent 4 years fertilizing thugs in transport unions and threw it away
Comparing Akala the bleaching and bling-bling governor will not bring out the all important point. Akala did not run-down the PDP. He certainly doesn't have access to the kind of money, connections and power that GEJ had but failed woefully to harness. We are talking about a man who is supposed to be the commander-in-chief of Nigerian Armed forces wreaking a well-established, strong political structure with national spread of a political party because of his so many dumb actions and inactions.

There was absolutely no tangible reason why he should frustrate Amaechi into going APC. Same goes for Atiku, Tambuwal and many others. Akala was just an a$shole at the state level. Tinubu came from virtually nowhere especially after 2003 elections to being a major force in Nigerian politics today. While GEJ is nose-diving into the abyss of political irrelevance. Even OBJ that couldn't win his ward is still very much relevant and recognised internationally after 8yrs of leaving office. I do not think even the int'l community will call GEJ for any serious African issue when he leaves aso rock. He is just nose-diving into the abyss of political irrelevance and I think its too late for him. It is only God that can save him at this stage.
Re: GEJ Vs Tinubu - Lesson For Students Of Political Science by gists: 9:05am On Apr 13, 2015
I don't mean to rub it in, but with the result so far, its looking like PDP will lose many state which it used to control and has not been able to snatch any state (except Ekiti) from opposition. They are just struggling to keep some states in SS/SE with thugry and violence. In addition to controlling the Senate and HOA, it looks like APC is now set to to be in control of the majority of the states.

How can one man in position of the highest office, in control of all the military and financial resources which are already pre-established and matured wreck the party and make it become unpopular while another man with control of just on state (the tiniest in the country in terms of Land mass) form a brand new party and overtake the ruling party. PDP is now officially relegated to the unenviable status of a sectional (SS/SE) party. This just proves the saying "A herd of sheep that is led by a lion can conquer a pack of hyenas but a group of lions that is led by a sheep will be consumed by a pack of hyenas"

I hope future leaders are taking notes. You don't play divisive politics with ethnicity and religion. You are bound to lose BIG.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Fayose,gej Pelted With Stone In OAU / Apga's Mega Rally In Aba ...pdp Has No Chance In Aba( Pictures) / Presidential Result.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.