Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,855 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:20 PM

Sharia Police Block Women's Rally In Kano - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sharia Police Block Women's Rally In Kano (4337 Views)

31 Girls Arrested In Hotel By Kano Sharia Police / PDP Crisis Deepens As Police Block Staff From Entering Secretariat / Aisha Buhari's Speech At Benin APC Women Rally (Video & Transcript) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sharia Police Block Women's Rally In Kano by BOSS7: 8:45pm On Jan 19, 2009
Islamic authorities in the northern Nigerian city of Kano have told organisers of a planned protest by divorced women to cancel the event.

The head of the Sharia police, or Hisbah, said the planned protest was an "embarrassment", and is "un-Islamic".

The organisers have agreed to postpone their protest scheduled for 29 January.

Women's rights activists say divorced women are often thrown out of their homes, lose custody of their children, and many end up destitute.

The Director General of the Hisbah, Saidu Dukawa, said there were also security concerns over the protest.

"We fear what could happen in the streets if there is a large gathering of people, it could get out of control," he told the BBC's Hausa Service.

Large gatherings of people can be volatile in Nigeria, which has been rocked by violence between Muslims and Christians over the last 10 years.

Quarrelling spouses

He also said the idea of street protests were "un-Islamic", and "morally wrong".

"Never in the history of Islam have women taken to the street to press for their demands," he said.

The Hisbah were reported by local media to have said they feared the demonstration would "ridicule Kano in the eyes of the world".

Kano is one of 12 northern Muslim-majority states governed by Sharia law.

The Hisbah are in charge of policing the morals of Muslims to make sure they are "Sharia-compliant".

They do not have the authority to ban the protest from going ahead, but told organisers they would report the demonstration to the police if they continued with it.

One of their duties is to reconcile quarrelling spouses and prevent divorce.

But divorce in polygamous northern Nigeria is very common.

The Association of Divorcees Widows and Orphans has could not immediately be reached for a comment.

[center]Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7837512.stm[/center]
Re: Sharia Police Block Women's Rally In Kano by Kobojunkie: 8:54pm On Jan 19, 2009
How dare the BBC report on this? Who the Heck does the BBC think it is to tell the world of the atrocities committed against these women in a country like Nigeria?

This is a call to all Nigerians to boycott the BBC for such hypocrisy? There are destitute women in the UK as well but they NEVER report on such. This is all a rouse to paint Nigeria and its people as savages. People boycott the British and all things western, and know that America is behind this as well.
Re: Sharia Police Block Women's Rally In Kano by BOSS7: 9:01pm On Jan 19, 2009
You're surely aware of the BBC's presence (correspondence) in almost every country and their website being the most popular (news) so I think every now and then you'll always read something about Nigeria and it's not new. However I think they have the right to report what they see, don't you think?

I don't think there's any reason for a boycott as if we've done the right thing in the first instance, they'll not spin it out of control would they?
Re: Sharia Police Block Women's Rally In Kano by SkyBlue1: 9:02pm On Jan 19, 2009
Since when did the hisbah become a constitutionally enshrined law enforcement agency? How long will this silly indulgence last?
Re: Sharia Police Block Women's Rally In Kano by Kobojunkie: 9:03pm On Jan 19, 2009
What in the world do you mean? Are you saying we should focus more on the plight of the women and not on the fact that the BBC reported this? How DARE you suggest that, mista? Roflmao!!
Re: Sharia Police Block Women's Rally In Kano by BOSS7: 9:07pm On Jan 19, 2009
I think I'll have to agree with SkyBlue here and that is focussing more on the plights of these women. I think these women should have their right and that's the message BBC is trying to highlight. So I think BBC have done a good job in exposing the inequality suffered by women in some parts of Nigeria.

Don't you think - KoboJunkie?
Re: Sharia Police Block Women's Rally In Kano by SkyBlue1: 9:12pm On Jan 19, 2009
B.O.S.S.:

I think I'll have to agree with SkyBlue here and that is focussing more on the plights of these women. I think these women should have their right and that's the message BBC is trying to highlight. So I think BBC have done a good job in exposing the inequality suffered by women in some parts of Nigeria.

Don't you think - KoboJunkie?

LOL, Kobo was being sarcastic. Kobo you sarcasm needs some serious work
Re: Sharia Police Block Women's Rally In Kano by BOSS7: 9:13pm On Jan 19, 2009
Hahahaha, you got me there,

Nice one KoboJunkie.

cheesy
Re: Sharia Police Block Women's Rally In Kano by Kobojunkie: 9:18pm On Jan 19, 2009
Roflmao!!!
Re: Sharia Police Block Women's Rally In Kano by Tsiya(m): 9:30pm On Jan 19, 2009
Kobojunkie:

How dare the BBC report on this? Who the Heck does the BBC think it is to tell the world of the atrocities committed against these women in a country like Nigeria?

This is a call to all Nigerians to boycott the BBC for such hypocrisy? There are destitute women in the UK as well but they NEVER report on such. This is all a rouse to paint Nigeria and its people as savages. People boycott the British and all things western, and know that America is behind this as well.

BBC have the moral right to report any news about Nigeria, and Northern Nigeria in particular. BBC hausa programme is the main source of our news in the north, and hence reporting this news is infact, suppose to be their headline.

Sky Blue:

Since when did the hisbah become a constitutionally enshrined law enforcement agency? How long will this silly indulgence last?

Hisbah are registered as private unarmed security organization with the Nigerian Civil Defence and the police. It is like any other Security organizations such as Dimond, Niger Guards and the other vigilantes approved by the government either to provide private security (as in the case of banks), community security (like vigilantees). Hence they have the constitutional right to perform their duty, as enshrined by Kano state laws, and approved by the Nigerian Police, within the boundaries set by the Nigerian constitution
Re: Sharia Police Block Women's Rally In Kano by Tsiya(m): 9:31pm On Jan 19, 2009
U guys are funny!!! grin grin grin

Sure sha, those women suppose protest
Re: Sharia Police Block Women's Rally In Kano by BOSS7: 9:33pm On Jan 19, 2009
Tsiya:

BBC have the moral right to report any news about Nigeria, and Northern Nigeria in particular. BBC hausa programme is the main source of our news in the north, and hence reporting this news is infact, suppose to be their headline.
Thanks and we are all aware of that.

Tsiya:

Hisbah are registered as private unarmed security organization with the Nigerian Civil Defence and the police. It is like any other Security organizations such as Dimond, Niger Guards and the other vigilantes approved by the government either to provide private security (as in the case of banks), community security (like vigilantees). Hence they have the constitutional right to perform their duty, as enshrined by Kano state laws, and approved by the Nigerian Police, within the boundaries set by the Nigerian constitution

Fair enough. So do you support the women who actually are fighting for the same right which you have as a Nigerian citizen or not?
Re: Sharia Police Block Women's Rally In Kano by Kobojunkie: 9:34pm On Jan 19, 2009
Tsiya:

Wow!! The people are constitutionally required to answer to vigilante groups?? Unbeweavable!! Is this group police for the islamics or are all residence to answer to this hisbah group?
Re: Sharia Police Block Women's Rally In Kano by Tsiya(m): 9:36pm On Jan 19, 2009
Of course I do. Their fundamental rights as wives, mothers, as Nigerians, as human, and even as Muslims (majority of Kano being Muslims) are being denied to them.
Re: Sharia Police Block Women's Rally In Kano by mustafar1: 9:37pm On Jan 19, 2009
dem go soon come with their bandwagon talk say all of una be anti-nigerian, pessimist/ naysayers etc etc etc trying to deprive you of your right to free speech.
Re: Sharia Police Block Women's Rally In Kano by SkyBlue1: 9:41pm On Jan 19, 2009
Tsiya:

Sorry but I am going to have to seriously call you out on this. Since when did hisbah become constitutionally empowered to do the job of the police if warranted (which is not the case here)? This is like saying that private security guard or MOPOL are constituionally enshrined to conduct traffic light or charge traffic tickets. Absolutely ridiculous and I don't buy it.
Re: Sharia Police Block Women's Rally In Kano by Tsiya(m): 9:43pm On Jan 19, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Wow!! The people are constitutionally required to answer to vigilante groups?? Unbeweavable!! Is this group police for the islamics or are all residence to answer to this hisbah group?

Well, very unfortunately for we Nigerians, our constitution provided for establishement of private security agencies. These agencies are not the same as police, they register with the civil defence and the police to provide security. The police provide different licence to them. Ranging from just working as Night watch men, to full fledge armed vigilantee, and they have specific domain of operation. Just like if you go to any bank and try to misbehave, the bank security will arrest and hand you over to police, so are these vigilantees.
Re: Sharia Police Block Women's Rally In Kano by Tsiya(m): 9:49pm On Jan 19, 2009
Sky Blue:

Sorry but I am going to have to seriously call you out on this. Since when did hisbah become constitutionally empowered to do the job of the police if warranted (which is not the case here)? This is like saying that private security guard or MOPOL are constituionally enshrined to conduct traffic light or charge traffic tickets. Absolutely ridiculous and I don't buy it.

The problem, is u are trying to look at it in more logical sence, perharps from your perspective as somebody stayin in a foreign country. But with the Nigerian law, the Nigerian Police can give license to private security organisations to operate within a a define boundary. Private security firms are everywhere in the world. Even in the united states or Britain, u have private security firms.
Re: Sharia Police Block Women's Rally In Kano by BOSS7: 9:49pm On Jan 19, 2009
Tsiya:

Well, very unfortunately for we Nigerians, our constitution provided for establishement of private security agencies. These agencies are not the same as police, they register with the civil defence and the police to provide security. The police provide different licence to them. Ranging from just working as Night watch men, to full fledge armed vigilantee, and they have specific domain of operation. Just like if you go to any bank and try to misbehave, the bank security will arrest and hand you over to police, so are these vigilantees.

For your sake, I've just done a bit of cntl c, cntl v as culled from the BBC report. So do you still maintain you stance?

"The Hisbah are in charge of policing the morals of Muslims to make sure they are "Sharia-compliant".

They do not have the authority to ban the protest from going ahead, but told organisers they would report the demonstration to the police if they continued with it.

One of their duties is to reconcile quarrelling spouses and prevent divorce. "
Re: Sharia Police Block Women's Rally In Kano by Kobojunkie: 9:51pm On Jan 19, 2009
I am sorry, but there is no reason why such a force should exist in any society. Simple!!! Why in the world would people allow this? This is like police endorsed mafia of some sort.
Re: Sharia Police Block Women's Rally In Kano by Tsiya(m): 9:57pm On Jan 19, 2009
B.O.S.S.:

For your sake, I've just done a bit of cntl c, cntl v as culled from the BBC report. So do you still maintain you stance?

"The Hisbah are in charge of policing the morals of Muslims to make sure they are "Sharia-compliant".

One of their duties is to reconcile quarrelling spouses and prevent divorce. "

But that is from a News reporters perspectives, not from the eye of the law. If u go to the Police and Civil Defence Register, u will find that the Hisbah is registered as a private security organisation. During the ethinic crises at the time of Obasanjo, the President try to ban Hisbah, and they went to the court to interprete some the constitution and their right to be registered as security organisation. Even though, they carryout Sharia activities within the states, but they do that within their boundary as private security outfit. Anything above outside their sphere, they report and lobby the police.

1 Like

Re: Sharia Police Block Women's Rally In Kano by BOSS7: 9:57pm On Jan 19, 2009
@ KoboJunkie
I think Nigeria is trying to implement the system they have in Saudi Arabia, Iran and some other Muslim countries where they have the religious police and also the main police. They (Kano State and other states adopting this system) just made things more complicated for themselves in an already complex state.
Re: Sharia Police Block Women's Rally In Kano by SkyBlue1: 10:02pm On Jan 19, 2009
Well, on the other hand the people were rejoicing when sharia law was enacted. A cheap political move to placate a people who might have been disgruntled at all the looting that was going on, hence enact sharia law and you win popularity by a lot of people. So much for wanting to be like saudi arabia. As long as the sharia laws are only applied to mus'lims as stated in the article. If sharia was infact wholeheartedly embraced and encouraged in a secular nation by the indegenes of a state (might not have been a consensus) then those who embraced it might as well get used to it. Its like boiling water to drink then complaining its hot.
Re: Sharia Police Block Women's Rally In Kano by McKren(m): 10:07pm On Jan 19, 2009
Its unfortunate the women do not know their rights

Sharia law is an optional law, Hisbah has no power to dictate to anybody as far as Nigerian constitution is concerned. Hisbah only means something to those who opt into Sharia law.

The only clearance these women need to gather is police clearance.
Re: Sharia Police Block Women's Rally In Kano by mosdef1(m): 10:08pm On Jan 19, 2009
Dem Hisba advocates are just a bunch of ignorant morons whose ideology are based on those of their leaders who are out to use them for their own selfish interest. This has been a major problem with the north.
Re: Sharia Police Block Women's Rally In Kano by BOSS7: 10:10pm On Jan 19, 2009
Sky Blue:

Well, on the other hand the people were rejoicing when sharia law was enacted. A cheap political move to placate a people who might have been disgruntled at all the looting that was going on, hence enact sharia law and you win popularity by a lot of people.

I know the introduction of Sharia and all generated a lot of buzz in the northern states and I'm also aware that there was up to 2million people that gathered at the governor's office to show their support however, I cannot put it past our politicians to actually support these people secretly in other to generate that publicity for their own use, we've all heart it before, I think it's known as erm " rent a crowd".

I'll not put it past them renting a crowd of "2 million Nigerian poverty stricken, incapacitated and conjured citizens", would you?
Re: Sharia Police Block Women's Rally In Kano by Tsiya(m): 10:11pm On Jan 19, 2009
Sky Blue:

Well, on the other hand the people were rejoicing when sharia law was enacted. A cheap political move to placate a people who might have been disgruntled at all the looting that was going on, hence enact sharia law and you win popularity by a lot of people. So much for wanting to be like saudi arabia. As long as the sharia laws are only applied to mus'lims as stated in the article. If sharia was infact wholeheartedly embraced and encouraged in a secular nation by the indegenes of a state (might not have been a consensus) then those who embraced it might as well get used to it. Its like boiling water to drink then complaining its hot.

Yeh, the Sharia relaunching, was some sorth of political gimmick, for certain politicians to get political relevance. And they decieve the masses. The so called introduction of Sharia doesnt change anything in the states that have introduced the sharia. What they just did was just political relaunching. There have always being Sharia legal systems in the north, and they have being the main courts for arbitration in most of the northern states. Although the relaunching have cause alot of controversy in the country because the proponents & opponents does not even understand it was political gimmik, but now that the dust have settle, most of them have realized that
Re: Sharia Police Block Women's Rally In Kano by SkyBlue1: 10:12pm On Jan 19, 2009
B.O.S.S.:

I know the introduction of Sharia and all generated a lot of buzz in the northern states and I'm also aware that there was up to 2million people that gathered at the governor's office to show their support however, I cannot put it past our politicians to actually support these people secretly in other to generate that publicity for their own use, we've all heart it before, I think it's known as erm " rent a crowd".

I'll not put it past them renting a crowd of "2 million Nigerian poverty stricken, incapacitated and conjured citizens", would you?

So are you trying to suggest sharia does not enjoy the ammount of popular support i am led to believe it does in some northern states?
Re: Sharia Police Block Women's Rally In Kano by saha(f): 10:13pm On Jan 19, 2009
Received an email about the planned rally.too bad the hisbah are being narrow minded as usual,these women are just planning to express there grievances.Islam has respect for women but new fangled culture is seriously damaging that posture.no be only one road dey reach market.if the organizers of the rally dont want to try fighting for their constitutional right to hold a peaceful rally,they can hold a workshop or lecture inviting the media to show their plight.ive worked with media men from BBC,VOA,DW,RF and dy do better research and give great coverage on all their stories.if d hisbah are d moral police dy shld sponsor the workshop angry,give marriage counselling etc, aikin kawai.na ignorance dey kill our pple,d introduction of sharia was just a political ploy.
Re: Sharia Police Block Women's Rally In Kano by SkyBlue1: 10:17pm On Jan 19, 2009
Sharia law should never have been introduced period. Nigeria is a secular state, how on earth can you then have one law for the rest of the country and another for some? @B.O.S.S. if you doubt the popularity of sharia law in some northern states just try banning it and see what happens. Wasn't there and earlier attempt to do so?
Re: Sharia Police Block Women's Rally In Kano by BOSS7: 10:19pm On Jan 19, 2009
Sky Blue:

So are you trying to suggest sharia does not enjoy the ammount of popular support i am led to believe it does in some northern states?

Of course not. I'm suggesting that you shouldn't put it past the politicians when it comes to the issue of adding to the crowd hence they could make a case easily when it comes to the issue of court case and all in the case of riotsl, maybe that's what I should have said.  grin
Re: Sharia Police Block Women's Rally In Kano by KarmaMod(f): 10:22pm On Jan 19, 2009
Blocking women from speaking

Cant get more Islamic than that.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Breaking News: Mend Claims Responsibility For The Attacked That Killed 4 Nigerian Marine Policemen / Abia State Government Sells Kerosene @ N50 / Fuel Scarcity May Continue In 2013 - NNPC Official

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.