Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,988 members, 7,835,314 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:32 AM

Children For Sale Heartbreakingly Easy To Find In Ravaged Nigeria-CNN - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Children For Sale Heartbreakingly Easy To Find In Ravaged Nigeria-CNN (1262 Views)

Amosun Visits Ebute-Ibafo And Ogijo Ravaged By Militants (Photos) / El-Rufai Visits Flood Ravaged Areas In Kaduna (Photos) / [Video]: Children For Sale Heartbreakingly Easy To Find In Ravaged Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Children For Sale Heartbreakingly Easy To Find In Ravaged Nigeria-CNN by Onegai(f): 7:46am On Mar 24, 2015
CNN team finds a man at "unofficial" displaced camp willing to provide children to be "fostered"
He says he can't take money for them, but eventually demands $500 for two girls.

Editor's Note: Nearly a million Nigerians have been
displaced to date by Boko Haram. According to UNICEF, over half of them are children. CNN's Nima Elbagir and her team, producer Lillian Leposo and cameraman Fabien Muhire, investigated claims that many of the children are sold and trafficked, then filed this exclusive report.

(CNN)— "It really depends what you want. Boy? Girl?
Young? Old?"
The man on the phone was offering us young children with the casualness of a market trader. After a week of back and forth phone calls, his initial caginess had given way to greed. He'd heard my foreign accent and clearly decided I would pay more than the domestic rate.

"We can get," he said.

We'd been put in touch with the man through a
contact on the ground. We were told he was one of
the men running this "unofficial" displaced camp -- one of the many that has mushroomed in the town of Yola as the influx of people fleeing Boko Haram has grown beyond the capacity of the official camps.
It had all been heartbreakingly simple. We'd asked who had children available to "foster" -- a catch-all code word designed to conceal the true intent of those offering up the orphaned children. The man
on the phone was the end result of those inquiries.

When our colleague want to see them, he was shown a group of children and asked which one he wanted to take. One, two maybe? He escaped by saying he needed to check with his "madam" -- me.

I called. The man picked up and began referring to me as "sister." I told him we wanted to know what we'd need to do, if we decided we did want to "foster" the children.

He told me, "Sister, Jesus will reward me," so the
"fostering" was free, he said. No need for any pesky
paperwork -- just a reassurance from me that the
children, if I chose to take them, would "live in my
heart." If I could also then find it "in my heart" to
donate to those still in the camp, then that would be
"God's work."

In spite of the harsh measures the Nigerian
government has put in place to punish human
traffickers, by the government's own admission, 8
million children are currently engaged in forced labor. The Global Slavery Index says Nigeria has the highest number of people in modern slavery of any sub-Saharan country. Paradoxically, the group also rates Nigeria's anti-trafficking agency, Naptip, as one of the strongest government responses on the continent --but it's clearly overwhelmed by the realities of working in what is now a zone of military operations, Nigeria's north. As the insecurity in the region has spiraled, the worry is that more and more children are falling through the cracks. And as Boko Haram increases its reliance on child suicide bombers, concerns are growing that orphaned children could end up in the hands of the terror group.

At the camp where we finally met the man face to
face, there was no attempt at subterfuge. We spoke in normal tones in full view of the children playing. I
could have had one of them, I was told, but because
I'd specified a younger child, they'd only identified one so far -- a 3-year-old. Did I want to consider an older girl? A 12-year-old maybe? She could look after the 3- year-old, and cook and clean. Either way, two girls would be ready tomorrow, he said. I could see them then.

Our last phone conversation revolved around what an appropriate "donation" would be in exchange for the children. He couldn't, he said, bargain for it. He then proceeded to do just that, laughing down the phone at my first tentative guess of $200. Laughing again at $300.
We finally found a figure he didn't find funny --$500. I put the phone down and we traveled back to the
capital that day to show NAPTIP what we discovered that day.

culled from www.cnn. com

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Children For Sale Heartbreakingly Easy To Find In Ravaged Nigeria-CNN by MRLINGTON(m): 7:47am On Mar 24, 2015
CNN sha
Re: Children For Sale Heartbreakingly Easy To Find In Ravaged Nigeria-CNN by Onegai(f): 8:02am On Mar 24, 2015
Instead of saying "CNN sha", be ashamed that no-one cares what is happening to innocent victims of the fighting up north and that people are profiting off their sorrows in the name of religious help.

Not one politician cares and neither do their followers. Not one Nigerian news agency had noticed this. No party has called attention to those suffering in the camps.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Children For Sale Heartbreakingly Easy To Find In Ravaged Nigeria-CNN by Tinyemeka(m): 9:35am On Apr 16, 2015
Onegai:
Instead of saying "CNN sha", be ashamed that no-one cares what is happening to innocent victims of the fighting up north and that people are profiting off their sorrows in the name of religious help.

Not one politician cares and neither do their followers. Not one Nigerian news agency had noticed this. No party has called attention to those suffering in the camps.

True.

The plight of displaced refugees has been largely overlooked by the Nigerian media. All we just hear are numbers but no information on what goes on the camps.

Just went to NAPTIP site and all I saw was bureaucratic information. The link to WOTCLEF redirects to a Korean site.

NGOs keep popping up everyday with no tangible long-term impact.
What can one do?

1 Like

Re: Children For Sale Heartbreakingly Easy To Find In Ravaged Nigeria-CNN by basketbrain(m): 7:15am On Aug 14, 2015
MRLINGTON:
CNN sha

what did they fdo wrong? dummy!!!

1 Like

Re: Children For Sale Heartbreakingly Easy To Find In Ravaged Nigeria-CNN by 1love4all: 7:26am On Aug 14, 2015
Onegai:

My dear it is very pathetic.

1 Like

Re: Children For Sale Heartbreakingly Easy To Find In Ravaged Nigeria-CNN by azzima(m): 7:34am On Aug 14, 2015
We know their locations. .......Biafra!!!!!

Re: Children For Sale Heartbreakingly Easy To Find In Ravaged Nigeria-CNN by IsraeliAIRFORCE: 7:40am On Aug 14, 2015
azzima:

If you had felt their plight they may have reciprocated.

I believe compassion begets compassion and you are the same as the people you accuse of lacking the feelings for humanity.

Before you misunderstand what I am saying remember this is a reply to your obsession.

[b]The smuggling of food from Nigerian-held territory into Biafra has been discouraged severely by both armies. Only a trickle of food reaches Biafra from this route anyway, but some of the smuggled food was found to contain poisonous ingredients. Deliberate poisoning of food supplies was suspected first in 1967 when several deaths were thought to be caused by toxic foods.

Of 1487 samples of salt--the principal item being smuggled in--which were tested by Biafrans during the last part of 1968, 20 samples contained toxic quantities of arsenic and 50 contained cyanide. Mayer said that several samples collected by the Mission which could not have been "fixed" by the Biafrans were submitted to the Food and Drug Administration upon the group's return.

"The samples contained arsenic, the Administration confirmed the Biafran reports." Mayer said. Right now there are outright starvation conditions among the refugees. Acute protein deficiency is widespread among all Biafrans. The Mission's members reports that, they never saw one child in satisfactory nutritional condition in any of the camps they visited.

Mass feedings must be made under the most difficult of situations: distribution centers and refugee camps are bombed and strafed if any large numbers of people are visible in the daylight. Red Cross insignias are singled out for special attention by Nigerian bombers. Mayer saw one European engaged in working on the Biafran side of the war front carry 117 dying children in his truck to a hospital in a single night.[/b]
Re: Children For Sale Heartbreakingly Easy To Find In Ravaged Nigeria-CNN by bugzbunny: 7:51am On Aug 14, 2015
azzima:

Can u even read?
Foool

1 Like

Re: Children For Sale Heartbreakingly Easy To Find In Ravaged Nigeria-CNN by koboko69: 7:53am On Aug 14, 2015
IsraeliAIRFORCE:

If you had felt their plight they may have reciprocated.

I believe compassion begets compassion and you are the same as the people you accuse of lacking the feelings for humanity.

Before you misunderstand what I am saying remember this is a reply to your obsession.

Why is it that anything about tribalism turns you on. If anyone decides to be folly, must u join in his folly? You can relocate to london or like the scammer or somewhere else if you do much hate Nigeria and spare us this cries. Or are u that broke? I taught u wete a senior executive in one of the oil servicing firms.
Re: Children For Sale Heartbreakingly Easy To Find In Ravaged Nigeria-CNN by IsraeliAIRFORCE: 8:03am On Aug 14, 2015
koboko69:

Why is it that anything about tribalism turns you on. If anyone decides to be folly, must u join in his folly? You can relocate to london or like the scammer or somewhere else if you do much hate Nigeria and spare us this cries. Or are u that broke? I taught u wete a senior executive in one of the oil servicing firms.

I don't care about your existence hence get lost.

My reply is not meant for kindergartens let alone those who are irrational and unstable.
Re: Children For Sale Heartbreakingly Easy To Find In Ravaged Nigeria-CNN by koboko69: 8:08am On Aug 14, 2015
IsraeliAIRFORCE:

I don't care about your existence hence get lost.

My reply is not meant for kindergartens let alone those who are irrational and unstable.

Dunce!!! Get a life.....and stop getting hard ons and masturbating over anything biafra.
Re: Children For Sale Heartbreakingly Easy To Find In Ravaged Nigeria-CNN by Vicadonis(m): 9:49am On Aug 14, 2015
OK its CNN... Media against Africa

(1) (Reply)

PDP Shares Packaged Garri, Sugar And Groundnut (see Photo) / The Deciet Of Opposition - Igbos / The Top Secret About Nigeria The U S Will Not Let You Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.