Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,940 members, 7,817,750 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:35 PM

I Support Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Support Buhari (1090 Views)

I Support Wike And PDP In New York - Man (Photo) / I Will Support Buhari’s Policies – Wike / Zahra Buhari And Dele Momodu Pictured Together In London As They Support Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Support Buhari by ikenga67: 4:45pm On Mar 24, 2015
I just wanted to go on the record and state that I am breaking ranks with some of my fellow Igbo nationalists on this forum and throwing my support to Buhari.

Of course in an ideal world, Buhari would probably not be my preferred candidate for president at this time and age. But this is not an ideal world and I will not play King Solomon and declare the two candidates unworthy of the office. We have to work with what we have and if this election goes forward either Jonathan or Buhari would be sworn in come May. I don’t even want to contemplate the consequences of the election not going forward, even though that is not an altogether impossible outcome.
Personally I like Buhari.

In a country where hedonistic indulgence is the order of the day, I find his asceticism ennobling. In a clime where cynical opportunism reigns supreme, I admire his supposed stubbornness.

I was old enough when he was in charge to appreciate what he was trying to do for Nigeria; especially considering the path the gang that forced him out took Nigeria. We are still living the consequences of that.

As an Igbo nationalist, I see the fact that Buhari is reportedly a devout (some say fanatical) Northern Muslim not as something to be feared, but as an opportunity to avoid a cataclysmic dénouement to the fault-lines speedily ripping Nigeria apart. I believe that to move forward (whether together or apart) we must have a genuine conversation about Nigeria. I also believe that such conversation can only be possible when genuine leaders of the different nationalities and cultures that make up the Nigerian polyglot emerge from amongst their people. So the fact Buhari truly represents the Northern Muslim street I think is a welcome development. I would rather have him representing the moslem north than the janus-faced Atiku or the morally crippled Babangida who are equally comfortable being moslem or Christian (or unbeliever) depending on the occasion. Hopefully, his presidency will encourage the emergence of other true leaders from other groups to enable us talk about Nigeria.

But let’s be clear - this election is not about Buhari. It is about the incumbent Goodluck Jonathan, and he deserves to be sent packing in the landslide which this wave election ought to produce.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Support Buhari by ikenga67: 4:46pm On Mar 24, 2015
I am convinced GEJ lacks the character and intellectual curiosity required even by the low standard of what passes for leadership in Nigeria. I believe that Jonathan got promoted to his level of incompetence when he became governor of Bayelsa following the impeachment of his mentor, DSP Alamiesieghe. That he rose beyond that to the highest office in the land, says much about what we have become as a people.
Jonathan’s sojourn as president has simply validated the old cliché that character is destiny. Duplicitous and timorous, this erstwhile lackey of Alams has been totally out of his depth, and that he has been allowed to occupy that office for the past 5 years (and actually seeks to extend it for another four) speaks volumes about the Nigerian project. I believe that on his own, GEJ probably could not have been elected chairman of a local govt in Bayelsa, talk less of leading the Ijaw nation. In the brutal words of Joe Biden, he was not qualified to be elected dog-catcher. But he has been president of the most populous country in Africa for 5 years and is in the cusp of buying himself a further four!
I do not believe that Buhari has the right ideas for these times. But this election is not about ideas. It is about character. The single biggest and urgent challenge facing Nigeria today is not economic or infrastructure or even the genuine conversation about Nigeria that I consider imperative. All those and more are critical, but what is needed and urgently is to work to rescue the Nigerian public space. In a nutshell, Government, in the holistic sense of that word, is nearly totally eroded in Nigeria, and until we work to arrest and reverse that fatal trajectory, we can never hope to start to address the other major problems plaguing Nigeria. Such job requires a man of character and integrity.
I do not for a moment suggest that Jonathan created this existential problem - we have been on this downward spiral since the end of the civil war. However I believe that he totally lacks what it takes to start to deal with the problem. He simply does not believe in accountability whether of himself or of others. His statements on corruption show that clearly. I cringed when I read him saying stuff like if any soldiers sabotage operations in the war against Boko Haram, such soldiers should not be fired (he made that clear!), but should be transferred out of the war zone. That right there captures his philosophy and practice regarding accountability!!
Yes there are things I found troubling about the very Nigerian project. I still doubt that as an Igbo that I have enough in common with the Northern Moslem to form a self-sustaining political community. However, there are things that I found even more troubling as an individual and a moral agent:
I find it very troubling that for 5 years now, hundreds of thousands of people in the North have had their lives turned upside down in the most savage of ways imaginable and all that the Nigerian government could do is propagandize and play politics with this tragedy.
I find it deeply disturbing that villagers in my state of Anambra could wake up one morning and see dozens of bodies floating down the river, and 2 years after, the identity of those bodies have not even be ascertained talk-less of finding out who and what killed them.
I find it demoralizing when I read in the papers that government agencies are fraudulently diverting billions meant for the common treasury and nobody is doing anything about it, and that even mid-level civil servants are being accused of stealing hundreds of millions of Naira from the public.
I believe all of these and more are just symptomatic of a bankrupt state and only a person with the character to insist that everyone plays by the rules and holds everybody accountable can start to arrest the Nigerian rot.
Such person is definitely not Jonathan Goodluck.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Support Buhari by Inkman(m): 4:58pm On Mar 24, 2015
reading .......
I support Buhari

well written and bereft of sentiments
this election isn't about religion or region
it is about telling the politicians that
power belongs to the people(not as pdp thinks it though)
so revolt with your votes
vote for a change
vote out cluelessness
vote for intergrity, discipline and accountability
Nigeria can work
#SAI BUHARI

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Support Buhari by WisdomFlakes: 4:58pm On Mar 24, 2015
We need more objective and fearless patriots like you from that region of the country. I doff my hat. 100 Gbosas for you boss man.

8 Likes

Re: I Support Buhari by Adminisher: 5:18pm On Mar 24, 2015
Jonathan is a regular Joe. He is not equipped by nature for leadership. His supporters are just building him up with what he never had. God has fulfilled his glory by making him President, he however has wasted the opportunity by being clueless, weak, cowardly and corrupt. No tribe in Nigeria is used to a weakling as president. Even in Iboland the stereotypall leadership character is Okonkwo and other noble elders from "Kings Fall Apart", the Yoruba and Northerners had good empire builders, the Ijaw had interesting stories of courage and valour So where did this inferior nonentity come from?.

3 Likes

Re: I Support Buhari by DONLEKAN: 5:35pm On Mar 24, 2015
To be honest, I could not hold back the teardrops as i read the OP. If indeed, the OP is igbo, I salute your courage. I can only hope large enough number of igbos could think like this.

I have said it repeatedly, the only problem with the Nigerian nation is poor education and our rulers will stop at nothing to maintaining the status quo. I could feel the depth of the OP's reasoning in his write up. If everyone's mind could be liberated with education. Then no idiot can loot, mismanage and wreck the country for 5yrs only for him to open the treasury 6 weeks to appraisal time, thinking he could buy the conscience of the masses.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Support Buhari by vanilson(m): 5:37pm On Mar 24, 2015
Sai GENERAL Akintunde MOHAMMADU okechukwu BUHARI

Vote #CHANGE

2 Likes

Re: I Support Buhari by Sweetguy25: 5:42pm On Mar 24, 2015
Your opinion and its none of my business
Re: I Support Buhari by ikenga67: 5:47pm On Mar 24, 2015
chiefinalowo:
With or without your single vote, GEJ will still win.
I don't even have the vote, so you can rest easy there. But seriously, if Jonathan is not President of Nigeria, would you elect him President of your Town Union?

1 Like

Re: I Support Buhari by ikenga67: 5:49pm On Mar 24, 2015
DONLEKAN:
To be honest, I could not hold back the teardrops as i read the OP. If indeed, the OP is igbo, I salute your courage. I can only hope large enough number of igbos could think like this.

I have said it repeatedly, the only problem with the Nigerian nation is poor education and our rulers will stop at nothing to maintaining the status quo. I could feel the depth of the OP's reasoning in his write up. If everyone's mind could be liberated with education. Then no idiot can loot, mismanage and wreck the country for 5yrs only for him to open the treasury 6 weeks to appraisal time, thinking he could buy the conscience of the masses.

I dont understand. Does it need courage now to listen to your conscience? And are you ignorant of the very many Igbos that have been supporting Buhari?
Re: I Support Buhari by TheOtherview: 5:56pm On Mar 24, 2015
ikenga67:

In a country where hedonistic indulgence is the order of the day, I find his asceticism ennobling. In a clime where cynical opportunism reigns supreme, I admire his supposed stubbornness.

I was old enough when he was in charge to appreciate what he was trying to do for Nigeria; especially considering the path the gang that forced him out took Nigeria. We are still living the consequences of that.

Like you @Ikenga67, my belated approval of Buhari's candidature is not without reservation.
I once presented arguments to support for my earlier reticence, to his die-hard fans, under my old user-handle -- https://www.nairaland.com/1345238/muhammadu-buhari-nigerias-strictest-leader

Given the wide gulf that exists between continued perfidy and possible promise, it is my considered view that you have made the wise decision here Comrade.

Let's leave the rest to posterity.
Re: I Support Buhari by sayyid(m): 5:59pm On Mar 24, 2015
Gej is jst an opportunist we need sum1 dat is better prepared and can solve any issue dat arises any time any day
sai Buhari
Re: I Support Buhari by CharliParker: 6:15pm On Mar 24, 2015
I SALUTE U OP
THOSE IN APC ARE REASONABLE MOSTLY.

BUHARI CARRI GO

YOU HAVE MY VOTE

1 Like

Re: I Support Buhari by ikenga67: 6:22pm On Mar 24, 2015
TheOtherview:

Like you @Ikenga67, my belated approval of Buhari's candidature is not without reservation.
I once presented arguments to support for my earlier reticence, to his die-hard fans, under my old user-handle -- https://www.nairaland.com/1345238/muhammadu-buhari-nigerias-strictest-leader

Given the wide gulf that exists between continued perfidy and possible promise, it is my considered view that you have made the wise decision here Comrade.

Let's leave the rest to posterity.
Lol.
You are quite right. Elections like this should be a referendum on the incumbent. Jonathan ought to be running on his record and not be going around kneeling to everything in sight, begging and playing the fear card. But again, everyone has to be true to his character.

Re: I Support Buhari by ikenga67: 6:30pm On Mar 24, 2015
And all that story about how Tinubu and co would just run the government if Buhari wins? Just hogwash.
Think about it, if OBJ and co could not control GEJ whose essential core makes him a perfect candidate for control by others, how can anyone want us now to believe that the supposedly stubborn Buhari will be controlled by others.
The truth of the matter is that the Nigerian President has no god-father, since maybe the days of Tafawa Balewa and even he was working to break out from the shadows of the Sarduana before they were both tragically assasinated.
Buhari's arrangement is just a tactical nod to the reality of Nigerian politics after 3 failed attempts. Just watch what happens if he wins.
Re: I Support Buhari by Nobody: 6:42pm On Mar 24, 2015
Special thanks to the OP for being or belongs to the Moderate Nigerians Class!
We are not categorically rooting for APC or Buhari, rather CHANGE of Government.
We need to experience what another Party has at their disposal for us, then after 4 years we gonna compare and contrast.
We are casting our votes for APC simply to pass a clear message to all our Leaders and Politicians. We should be the one to decide who rule, not just being ruled at their own will!

1 Like

Re: I Support Buhari by Brutef0rce1o1: 6:58pm On Mar 24, 2015
ikenga67:
I am convinced GEJ lacks the character and intellectual curiosity required even by the low standard of what passes for leadership in Nigeria. I believe that Jonathan got promoted to his level of incompetence when he became governor of Bayelsa following the impeachment of his mentor, DSP Alamiesieghe. That he rose beyond that to the highest office in the land, says much about what we have become as a people.
Jonathan’s sojourn as president has simply validated the old cliché that character is destiny. Duplicitous and timorous, this erstwhile lackey of Alams has been totally out of his depth, and that he has been allowed to occupy that office for the past 5 years (and actually seeks to extend it for another four) speaks volumes about the Nigerian project. I believe that on his own, GEJ probably could not have been elected chairman of a local govt in Bayelsa, talk less of leading the Ijaw nation. In the brutal words of Joe Biden, he was not qualified to be elected dog-catcher. But he has been president of the most populous country in Africa for 5 years and is in the cusp of buying himself a further four!
I do not believe that Buhari has the right ideas for these times. But this election is not about ideas. It is about character. The single biggest and urgent challenge facing Nigeria today is not economic or infrastructure or even the genuine conversation about Nigeria that I consider imperative. All those and more are critical, but what is needed and urgently is to work to rescue the Nigerian public space. In a nutshell, Government, in the holistic sense of that word, is nearly totally eroded in Nigeria, and until we work to arrest and reverse that fatal trajectory, we can never hope to start to address the other major problems plaguing Nigeria. Such job requires a man of character and integrity.
I do not for a moment suggest that Jonathan created this existential problem - we have been on this downward spiral since the end of the civil war. However I believe that he totally lacks what it takes to start to deal with the problem. He simply does not believe in accountability whether of himself or of others. His statements on corruption show that clearly. I cringed when I read him saying stuff like if any soldiers sabotage operations in the war against Boko Haram, such soldiers should not be fired (he made that clear!), but should be transferred out of the war zone. That right there captures his philosophy and practice regarding accountability!!
Yes there are things I found troubling about the very Nigerian project. I still doubt that as an Igbo that I have enough in common with the Northern Moslem to form a self-sustaining political community. However, there are things that I found even more troubling as an individual and a moral agent:
I find it very troubling that for 5 years now, hundreds of thousands of people in the North have had their lives turned upside down in the most savage of ways imaginable and all that the Nigerian government could do is propagandize and play politics with this tragedy.
I find it deeply disturbing that villagers in my state of Anambra could wake up one morning and see dozens of bodies floating down the river, and 2 years after, the identity of those bodies have not even be ascertained talk-less of finding out who and what killed them.
I find it demoralizing when I read in the papers that government agencies are fraudulently diverting billions meant for the common treasury and nobody is doing anything about it, and that even mid-level civil servants are being accused of stealing hundreds of millions of Naira from the public.
I believe all of these and more are just symptomatic of a bankrupt state and only a person with the character to insist that everyone plays by the rules and holds everybody accountable can start to arrest the Nigerian rot.
Such person is definitely not Jonathan Goodluck.

(1) (Reply)

Election Results So Far In Excel Format (JPEG) / In My Opinion, Goodluck Jonathan Won The Presidential Elections / Police Reform Group Begs Buhari To Sack IGP Abba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.