Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,735 members, 7,820,541 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:44 PM

Moving To America. In Need Of Career Advice. Please! - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Moving To America. In Need Of Career Advice. Please! (1094 Views)

Man Sleeping At The Back Of A Moving Waste Truck In Lagos (Photos) / In Need Of Career Advice / Career Advice For Women (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Moving To America. In Need Of Career Advice. Please! by cp2dec1: 6:20am On Mar 25, 2015
Hello My Nigerians,

So I myself live in America, working for a Hospital in the IT Department. My fiance currently works in an oil and gas service company in Lagos as a Geo-scientist. She currently holds a bachelor degree in Geology from Unizik. Obviously we are working towards marriage and her being with me in America. I need help in where I can get information on how to make this transition a success, whereby she is able to remain in her field when she comes here (Houston is very big in the oil and gas). Or if anyone have gone through the same journey, please share with me your experience. We are in no rush to being married yet...but we want to be doing anything we can do possibly now to prepare ourselves for when the day comes.

Thank you all for any advice and recommendations.
Re: Moving To America. In Need Of Career Advice. Please! by nanauju(f): 6:50am On Mar 25, 2015
Hmmm
Re: Moving To America. In Need Of Career Advice. Please! by cp2dec1: 7:39am On Mar 25, 2015
nanauju:
Hmmm

I'm sorry, but Anything wrong with the post?
Re: Moving To America. In Need Of Career Advice. Please! by Switlife: 8:05am On Mar 25, 2015
Start scouting for jobs for her in Houston. Don't wait till marriage. Start now.
Re: Moving To America. In Need Of Career Advice. Please! by JayKaba(m): 9:17am On Mar 25, 2015
The possibility of her getting an oil & gas job in the U.S at present is minimal. My candid advice, bring her in ASAP and let her enroll for a Masters degree in geology while you support her. Timely & successful completion of the program will increase her chances greatly.

2 Likes

Re: Moving To America. In Need Of Career Advice. Please! by Tranquill: 9:53am On Mar 25, 2015
JayKaba:
The possibility of her getting an oil & gas job in the U.S at present is minimal. My candid advice, bring her in ASAP and let her enroll for a Masters degree in geology while you support her. Timely & successful completion of the program will increase her chances greatly.

Seconded.
Re: Moving To America. In Need Of Career Advice. Please! by cp2dec1: 1:32pm On Mar 25, 2015
JayKaba:

Wow...I was afraid to get this response, only because I know how true it is. I have tried to explain and reiterate exactly what you just said, to her, but she doesn't get it. Going to school for geology in America, is not really "the future" because America is slowly moving away from being oil dependent.

Well, she is coming this May to attend the OTC event (oil and gas conference). It will be her first time here. I'm not sure if that will open her eyes a little. What I would really like is for her is to change her career a little. Come and study her masters in something different, but not too far from geology. Just something that will give her a better chance in getting a job here.

By the way, thank you. She doesn't know I started this post....but I will definitely send her a screenshot of what you said.

1 Like

Re: Moving To America. In Need Of Career Advice. Please! by JayKaba(m): 4:49am On Mar 26, 2015
There is massive layoff in the industry currently, hopefully things will stabilize when prices pick up. American companies have little or no regard for certificates from Nigerian schools, hence my suggestion for a MS programin the US.

America is becoming more oil independent. There is massive exploration going on in the Gulf (offshore - deepwaters). America and the world are still going to be heavily dependent on oil in the next 50 years, so I believe the future is very bright.

On the other hand, maybe she could get a transfer from her current company to work in NA (i.e. if she works for a multinational). All the same, nothing is impossible, let her try and talk to potential employers during her upcoming visit for OTC.

(1) (Reply)

Career Dilemma Please Advice A Poor Boy In Need Of Professional Advice / Top Digital/social-media Marketing Firms You Can Work For In Nigeria / How To Be Successful In Life: 13 Tips From World's Most Successful People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.