Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,100 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:53 AM

Growing The Red Stark Apple. - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Growing The Red Stark Apple. (10942 Views)

Growing Red Corn With Photos / The Yams I Bought To Eat Have Started Growing In My Room / Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Growing The Red Stark Apple. by okongo(m): 6:09am On Aug 01, 2015
thanks a lot
Re: Growing The Red Stark Apple. by onyeogalu1(m): 10:40pm On Aug 04, 2015
[quote author=okongo post=36463564]I av someone coming to nairobi ending of auguat. please can you help buy five seedlings. pls

Please I need get in touch with you.
Re: Growing The Red Stark Apple. by badmussy(m): 11:26pm On Dec 12, 2015
Pavore9:
Water the seedling either in the mornings or evenings. The variety is disease resistant thus no need for any chenical spraying.It starts fruiting from the 9th month and harvesting is from 4 to 6 weeks post fruiting. It fruits twice a year and one harvests between 50 to 100 apples per harvest from the apple tree.
Any updates, please?
Re: Growing The Red Stark Apple. by Pavore9: 5:06am On Jan 04, 2016
@Ayostically
@femora007
@badmussy

There are plans on ground to have the apple seedlings sent down to Lagos before the month runs out There are some documentation work
going on right now as l was being informed. The seedling is of the red stark variety.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Growing The Red Stark Apple. by saliubello(m): 7:26am On Jan 04, 2016
Pavore9:
@Ayostically
@femora007
@badmussy

There are plans on ground to have the apple seedlings sent down to Lagos before the month runs out There are some documentation work
going on right now as l was being informed. The seedling is of the red stark variety.
Im interested too,
Re: Growing The Red Stark Apple. by Pavore9: 8:31am On Jan 04, 2016
saliubello:
Im interested too,

Ok. Will keep everyone posted on this thread. Finally got the first of taste it yesterday as they are presently harvesting. They harvest twice a year August and late December/early January.
Re: Growing The Red Stark Apple. by Newway2(m): 9:24am On Jan 04, 2016
Oga @pavore9,
If apple harvesting is only twice in a year, how come we get the same apple in Lagos at same price all through the year (hardly any noticable price variations).

If the red apple, harvested twice a year & imported into Nigeria cld have a stable price, how come our own produce have wide price variations every year? E.g Plantain, Banana, Oranges, Pine-apples, peper, vegetables.

When are we going to start having stable prices for our own Agric products?

Pavore9:

Ok. Will keep everyone posted on this thread. Finally got the first of taste it yesterday as they are presently harvesting. They harvest twice a year August and late December/early January.
Re: Growing The Red Stark Apple. by Pavore9: 9:35am On Jan 04, 2016
Newway2:
Oga @pavore9,
If apple harvesting is only twice in a year, how come we get the same apple in Lagos at same price all through the year (hardly any noticable price variations).

If the red apple, harvested twice a year & imported into Nigeria cld have a stable price, how come our own produce have wide price variations every year? E.g Plantain, Banana, Oranges, Pine-apples, peper, vegetables.

When are we going to start having stable prices for our own Agric products?

It is all about preservation. Most of the Apples that get imported into Nigeria are not freshly harvested, months or maybe a year old but still looking fresh!
Re: Growing The Red Stark Apple. by Newway2(m): 9:45am On Jan 04, 2016
So what can we do? & How can we do it? Honestly, I cringe everytime, I see farm produce go waste. How can we stop this crop by crop?

Pavore9:

It is all about preservation. Most of the Apples that get imported into Nigeria are not freshly harvested, months or maybe a year old but still looking fresh!

1 Like

Re: Growing The Red Stark Apple. by mikeokiro: 12:46pm On Jan 04, 2016
Pavore9:
Got several mails asking me if the Redstark apple will survive n Nigeria and how should one go about planting it. l have been very busy but just made out some time to show the step by step procedure for planting, the seedling as it is would do well in Nigeria

@ pavore9 , the redstark apple seedlings you are talking about, is it just the seedlings that is grown from growing the apple seed to a certain height or are you talking about a grafted rootstock/ scion apple baby plant, tell me how possible it is to fruit under 9 months or less than a year after planting ?
Re: Growing The Red Stark Apple. by Pavore9: 1:38pm On Jan 04, 2016
mikeokiro:

@ pavore9 , the redstark apple seedlings you are talking about, is it just the seedlings that is grown from growing the apple seed to a certain height or are you talking about a grafted rootstock/ scion apple baby plant, tell me how possible it is to fruit under 9 months or less than a year after planting ?

Just as l got informed, Its a high breed grafted apple plant, which makes it to mature fast and it is an apple variety certified by the Kenyan Agricultural Research Institute.

These videos can give you a clearer view. The second video do have Swahili without subtitles but the voice over in English would carry through. At the end of the 2 videos you would get a better view of it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D96zVN_j6A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFk0Vbheu38

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Growing The Red Stark Apple. by ijames: 1:57pm On Jan 04, 2016
Pavore9:
Got several mails asking me if the Redstark apple will survive n Nigeria and how should one go about planting it. l have been very busy but just made out some time to show the step by step procedure for planting, the seedling as it is would do well in Nigeria

Sir, I sent you a mail, but you haven't reply.
Re: Growing The Red Stark Apple. by Pavore9: 2:02pm On Jan 04, 2016
ijames:

Sir, I sent you a mail, but you haven't reply.

It seems l skipped it, would check on it now.
Re: Growing The Red Stark Apple. by Ayostically: 2:08pm On Jan 04, 2016
Pavore9:
@Ayostically
@femora007
@badmussy

impressed with ur efforts. awaiting its arrival & more info. happy new yr
Re: Growing The Red Stark Apple. by ademobi: 4:09pm On Feb 08, 2016
Ayostically:

impressed with ur efforts. awaiting its arrival & more info. happy new yr
You need to get Export Approval from Quarantine Office of the federal ministry of Agriculture. About 25-30 seedlings were delivered about 2 weeks ago. Although it is advisable to wait for raining period before ordering unless u are into irrigation farming.
Re: Growing The Red Stark Apple. by Pavore9: 4:33pm On Feb 08, 2016
ademobi:

You need to get Export Approval from Quarantine Office of the federal ministry of Agriculture. About 25-30 seedlings were delivered about 2 weeks ago. Although it is advisable to wait for raining period before ordering unless u are into irrigation farming.

Yes l do know of that.
Re: Growing The Red Stark Apple. by Jesusbaby6(f): 6:32pm On Feb 08, 2016
Pavore9:

Yes l do know of that.

Any information about the seedlings and how much?
Re: Growing The Red Stark Apple. by ademobi: 6:49pm On Feb 08, 2016
Jesusbaby6:

A seedling is 12usd.
Re: Growing The Red Stark Apple. by Pavore9: 7:19pm On Feb 08, 2016
Jesusbaby6:

Meeting with a Nigerian here in Nairobi tomorrow, he wants to start shipping cargo from Nairobi to Lagos on a weekly basis, l want to know how possible it is to send seedlings/seeds down through his services. if it clicks it will mean importing things from Kenya will become way cheaper.

1 Like

Re: Growing The Red Stark Apple. by lanre2009: 6:27am On Feb 09, 2016
Kudos bro......God bless you.

Pavore9:

Meeting with a Nigerian here in Nairobi tomorrow, he wants to start shipping cargo from Nairobi to Lagos on a weekly basis, l want to know how possible it is to send seedlings/seeds down through his services. if it clicks it will mean importing things from Kenya will become way cheaper.
Re: Growing The Red Stark Apple. by Newway2(m): 7:31am On Feb 09, 2016
As usual, pls keep us updated with the outcome of ur meeting with d guy. Some of us will like to have some exotic seedlings from Kenya.

Thanks for the good work always.

Pavore9:

Re: Growing The Red Stark Apple. by Jesusbaby6(f): 11:09am On Feb 09, 2016
ademobi:

A seedling is 12usd.

Ok. Thanks.
Re: Growing The Red Stark Apple. by pat077: 5:04pm On Feb 09, 2016
Can't one get the seedlings from research institutions in Nigeria, i mean like the IITA?
Re: Growing The Red Stark Apple. by ejibamui: 6:19pm On Feb 09, 2016
@pavore9 where abroad can I order for red Stark apple seedlings from?
Re: Growing The Red Stark Apple. by Pavore9: 6:27pm On Feb 09, 2016
ejibamui:
@pavore9 where abroad can I order for red Stark apple seedlings from?
Kenya is where l know.
Re: Growing The Red Stark Apple. by ejibamui: 6:46pm On Feb 09, 2016
@pavore can u help me order for it? U can send details to me through muideenayinla@gmail.com
Re: Growing The Red Stark Apple. by Pavore9: 8:33pm On Feb 09, 2016
ejibamui:
@pavore can u help me order for it? U can send details to me through muideenayinla@gmail.com

Ok. I will keep you posted.
Re: Growing The Red Stark Apple. by Pavore9: 11:04pm On Feb 20, 2016
kayogs:
Thanks for your usual responses Dr. I am only a curious mind with flare for Agric/
Enterpreneurship. I have been on practising Apple on Nigerian soil for about a year now. I
have been able to plant and nurse Red Delicious appleplant to about 1metre ht. Kindly advise on possible pollinators and rootstock to use since am not
used to the likes of M7 or M9 rootstocks here in Nigeria. Similarly, I will want to know
more about the Redstark you advised and how you can assist in the procurement. ogunwusisamuel@yahoo.com. Cheers.

Someone will be arriving Lagos on Wednesday from Kenya, he is visiting the red stark apple farm here in Kenya on Tuesday and buying seedlings he is taking back to Nigeria. If you are still interested in procuring it, do send me a PM. A seedling costs $12.

cc. ejibamui, Ayostically, femora007, badmussy, saliubello, onyeogalu1
Re: Growing The Red Stark Apple. by Origin(f): 1:07am On Feb 21, 2016
I like the fact that you've discouraged the use of chemicals and fertilizer as it ultimately harms humans.

I read a report that slurry is used and it has one of the best nutrient for soil and plant life. Its also natural and safe. Its green and recycles waste.

All round win win.
Re: Growing The Red Stark Apple. by Pavore9: 9:53am On Feb 21, 2016
Origin:
I like the fact that you've discouraged the use of chemicals and fertilizer as it ultimately harms humans.

I read a report that slurry is used and it has one of the best nutrient for soil and plant life. Its also natural and safe. Its green and recycles waste.

All round win win.

Keeping away from the synthetic stuff as much as possible is the way to go. Just as the red stark apple is being grown without them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1jTydDPO1c

1 Like

Re: Growing The Red Stark Apple. by onyeogalu1(m): 6:33pm On Feb 24, 2016
Pavore9:

Someone will be arriving Lagos on Wednesday from Kenya, he is visiting the red stark apple farm here in Kenya on Tuesday and buying seedlings he is taking back to Nigeria. If you are still interested in procuring it, do send me a PM. A seedling costs $12.

cc. ejibamui, Ayostically, femora007, badmussy, saliubello, onyeogalu1

Thanks boss for the mention. I am still interested but am not ready yet. I will contact you once am ready. Thanks once again

1 Like

Re: Growing The Red Stark Apple. by irukandji89(m): 8:49pm On Feb 29, 2016
I would love to have a chance at propagating this plant by marcotting.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Approximately How Much Would Start Plantain Plantation Of 1hectare / We Buy Old Layers, Mature Cockerels And Broiler Of Any Quantity / Which Leave Is Basil Leaves

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.