Stats: 3,154,616 members, 7,823,689 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:25 PM

My NYSC Experience - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / My NYSC Experience (3174 Views)

My NYSC Experience At Taraba Camp, Batch A, Stream 2, 2016. / My NYSC Experience In Kano State / My NYSC Experience In Pixs (2) (3) (4)

My NYSC Experience by Librakid(f): 12:08am On Mar 26, 2015
NYSC- One year of joy, challenges, tears and VICTORY. Its a thing of joy to serve our fathers land but what happens when our great youths and Leaders of tomorrow are being taken for-granted all in the name of National Service? Here is my story and I hope it inspires someone to stand for who you are and what you believe in...
Re: My NYSC Experience by bidexolumanish(m): 12:40am On Mar 26, 2015
seriously is dat all ur story?
Re: My NYSC Experience by Librakid(f): 7:11am On Mar 26, 2015
bidexolumanish:
seriously is dat all ur story?
No...will write it all today
Re: My NYSC Experience by bidexolumanish(m): 12:10pm On Mar 26, 2015
Librakid:

thou shalt not keep me waiting

Re: My NYSC Experience by Anyin(m): 3:12pm On Mar 26, 2015
Librakid:

Patiently waiting....As a prospective corps,I hope 2 learn 4rm yhur nysc life xperience!

Re: My NYSC Experience by Librakid(f): 5:18pm On Mar 26, 2015
I was posted to Kano State for NYSC '14A' train. I was soo heartbroken due to the insecurity in the north cos I spent all my life in the middle belt 'aha now I know what most of you would be thinking but to clear the coast, middle belt is very different from the north'. I took it as fate and left home for Kusala Dam Karaye against all odds cos I believed it was God.

I have been warned by parents, boyfriend, friends and well wishers not to go to the North and should redeploy immediately after the orientation at camp but needless to say I was strong willed and I did not regret my decision!

Kusala Dam Karaye orientation camp was fun and as the leader of platoon 8, I was so active that NYSC officials had noticed I was very good at whatever I did.

Soon orientation was over and 3 weeks gone...was posted to Fagge Local Government and to one of the private schools at sabon gari. Three of us were posted there this felt so relaxing and convincing.

We left camp 1st April '14 and I headed straight to my place of primary assignment to be accepted which was successful, was made HOD sciences and given four teaching subjects which I was to take Js1-SS3 and also a form teacher to Js2. The other two were not excempted either.
What the heck, Js1-ss3? That was much! Trust me but in a bid to serve my father's land, I humbly accepted. The school principal gave me a letter permitting me to go home and prepare fully for the service year ahead which was signed by my LGI and went home for two weeks.

Will be right back!
Re: My NYSC Experience by Librakid(f): 6:52pm On Mar 26, 2015
Lest I forget,
we were two ladies and a guy( corp members)
The school had just two permanent staffs
No accomodation was given
Local allowance was N6,000
No staff welfare, school time-table, textbooks and worst of all the whole students in the school weren't up to fifty!

Returned to kano after two weeks, there was no accomodation so I had to stay at the corpers lodge which was quite a distance from my PPA. Work resumed and everything went on smoothly...
Though I noticed my Director was fond of me and was always giving me tips especially at weekends and seriously I took this as a nice gesture from him. He always told me not to tell anyone he has been giving me money and my mouth was shut! grin grin grin
At times he would call my cell phone after school asking me to come hang out with him which I never did. This continued for a while till the close of term that it got to a point I felt I had to keep my distance because come on this man is married! He was an elderly man that I told him severally he was like a father to me in a strange land but that didn't change a thing!

He paid our local allowances at will and whenever he wanted. This continued till October, after the whole Ebola outbreak and long holiday and finally school resumed on the 13th of October. Work resumed and students turned up gradually though the number of turn up was discouraging...as if that wasn't enough, one of the permanent staff resigned and a new batch 'B' corp member was posted to the school (A guy) making us 4 in number.

One faithful day, my director called me to his office which I did, he grabbed me immediately I entered his office and was professing his undying love for me, why he always gave me money and I should cooperate to enjoy more of his generosity. I mad but managed to calm down and told him in a calm tone ' sir, I respect you so much and least expect this of you' Pls let me go or I will shout for help. With all this, his grab became so tight that I could hardly move even though I tried to. I struggled to free myself while he has struggling to get down with me. After all the action and drama, he finally released me and I ran out of the office.
He later came to me begging for forgiveness and that I should tell no one. There was another branch of his school very close to my lodge, he offered to transfer me there to save distance and transportation...thats exactly what I av been begging him for but he reluctantly refused.

Re: My NYSC Experience by Goldpeas(m): 7:19pm On Mar 26, 2015
OK?? RIDE ON....

Re: My NYSC Experience by Anyin(m): 7:51pm On Mar 26, 2015
........*Sipping my chilled Fanta*............Pls continue ya stowee!!

Re: My NYSC Experience by Librakid(f): 10:39pm On Mar 26, 2015
The transfer to the other branch was a huge relieve...the new place was nothing to write on about! He had a head teacher and two staffs taking both primary and secondary sections. On arrival, the head teacher was excited that I was there to ease the burden especially in sciences. I was asked to take both primary and secondary sections, without a time table and take almost all the science courses from js1-ss3! This was the height of it...I wonder why people establish schools just for the money! no one cares about the lives they are suppose to be impacting positively. Exam malpractice was at its peak in this institution yet parents send their wards to such schools. I think parents should try as much as possible to send their wards to better schools with trained teachers this will go along way in producing good and responsible children and citizens for our dear country Nigeria.

I refused the offer and went back to my original place of work. October passed and half our local allowance was paid and nothing was paid for the month of November...too bad for a money conscious establishment!
In December, I received a text message saying I should report at the NYSC secretariat for an important assignment the next day. I reported and was luckily selected amongst the 21 corp members representing Kano at the CBN/NYSC Entrepreneurship Training at Katsina State for one week. A letter was given to me to give to the school authority asking them to release me for a week in respect to the training.
At the time we were done with the training, schools had already closed for the term and Christmas. I also went for my christmas break.
Re: My NYSC Experience by djmask(m): 10:48pm On Mar 26, 2015
Continue Pls...

Re: My NYSC Experience by Librakid(f): 11:12pm On Mar 26, 2015
After the yule-tide and new year celebrations, schools resumed on the 5th of January 2015. On resumption, I and my colleagues asked the director about our November and December allowances but his response was cold.
Went for the normal monthly clearance and my LGI asked 'do you av any problem at your PPA?' and I quickly responded 'Yes'. I explained the whole situation to him and he said he was going to find out why it was so and I left.
My LGI called him on his cell phone to ask what was wrong and he got angry. Out of anger, he wrote to the State Coordinator saying myself and the other female corp member have been absent from work since November to the day he wrote the letter.
Re: My NYSC Experience by Librakid(f): 11:30pm On Mar 26, 2015
I received a call from NYSC secretariat ordering me to come to the office immediately and was was given a 24hrs query saying I should give reasons why I absented myself from work for 3months.
This was a shocker cos it was straight from the state coordinators office. I took the query home and answered it in tears...all that was running through my mind was why would he want to implicate me? Despite his foolish acts, I stil respected him as my 'Director'.

I and the other lady relied the query, submitted the next day and met our director to know why he did what he did and he said...
Do you people know what it took me to norture this business? You corpers think you can spoil my relationship with NYSC by saying I don't pay but the highest they can do is to stop posting corpers to me. He went on to say he can do anything to protect his business and would make sure we get extension of service by 6months!
Re: My NYSC Experience by Librakid(f): 11:36pm On Mar 26, 2015
It was one moment of sleepless nights...imagine when your at the peak of accomplishing something and then the devil himself decides to pay you a visit! Sure, it's not going to be a pleasant one.

Re: My NYSC Experience by Kayoski(m): 7:46am On Mar 27, 2015
Ya story don finish?

Re: My NYSC Experience by Librakid(f): 8:27am On Mar 27, 2015
Kayoski:
Ya story don finish?
No
Re: My NYSC Experience by Kayoski(m): 8:54am On Mar 27, 2015
Librakid:

No
Ok... We dey wait..

Re: My NYSC Experience by Agrika: 8:53pm On Mar 27, 2015
Eeeya, i can relate to that

Re: My NYSC Experience by Xcozee(m): 2:25pm On Mar 28, 2015
Tor!

Re: My NYSC Experience by harleybee(f): 5:20pm On Mar 29, 2015
Librakid:
It was one moment of sleepless nights...imagine when your at the peak of accomplishing something and then the devil himself decides to pay you a visit! Sure, it's not going to be a pleasant one.

Please come and finish your story
We are patiently waiting.
Re: My NYSC Experience by Harmvirus(f): 8:57am On Mar 30, 2015
Op, come and finish this ur story biko

Nysc Stream 2 Batch B 2016. Lets Know Your Posting.... / August Alawee / Redeployed Corp Member Are Not Being Paid Nation Wide. New Set Beware.