Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,521 members, 7,819,873 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:31 AM

I Want To Be Able To Creat A Game - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Want To Be Able To Creat A Game (2359 Views)

Please Nairalanders Who Can Teach Me How To Creat A Simple Chat Media / Learn How To Creat 3D Games Online Now / How Was Nairaland Able To Achieve Its Speed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Be Able To Creat A Game by jacksam567: 4:03pm On Mar 27, 2015
Hello
I want to be a game designer, i have tried learning C++ but I stil can't still do any reasonably program with. I don't know if C++ is the right programing language or do I need any addition programming language to learn. If so can anyone tell me what to do. Thanks
Re: I Want To Be Able To Creat A Game by thewebcraft(m): 4:21pm On Mar 27, 2015
jacksam567:

Hello I want to be a game designer, i have tried learning C++ but I stil can't still do any reasonably program with. I don't know if C++ is the right programing language or do I need any addition programming language to learn. If so can anyone tell me what to do. Thanks

Have you read any book on c++?
Re: I Want To Be Able To Creat A Game by losprince(m): 4:28pm On Mar 27, 2015
You can create games in any programming language. Even with php and javascript which are web based. But if you are looking to make games that you download and run on systems, c++ wasn't a bad idea but you've got to learn the language inside out.
Re: I Want To Be Able To Creat A Game by jacksam567: 4:33pm On Mar 27, 2015
Yes i have but it only it all end in creating commands. But no actual details on designing games
Re: I Want To Be Able To Creat A Game by BlueMagnificent(m): 6:15pm On Mar 27, 2015
jacksam567:
Yes i have but it only it all end in creating commands. But no actual details on designing games

If that's what you think then you are definitely missing out... Do some research on c++ libraries, there are tones of them out there that you can use to accomplish more that a mere command line app. Game engines, which can assist yo in making games, are part of these libraries. Google is your friend smiley
Re: I Want To Be Able To Creat A Game by kudaisi(m): 10:34am On Mar 28, 2015
If you are talking about 3D games you don't necessarily have to use C++.
Here's my personal experience. I didn't neccasarily create a game but i did a simulation of some sort at work. and here what my workflow was like.
STEP 1: Create 3D models and rig them for movement (My personal favorite modelling tool is Cinema 4D look it up).
STEP 2: Import your 3D models into a platform like Unity Designer and create the game environment.
STEP 3: Write up some code that determines how the game responds to scenarios (With unity 3D I have a preference for C#).

Note that any other 3D modelling tool like Maya can be used in Step 1. Furthermore, creation of the models can be done in Unity 3D as well so you don't have to learn two platforms

here's a link to unity 3d scripting http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules/beginner/scripting
And here is an intro tutorials on Code Project http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/876015/UNITY-D-Game-Programming-Introduction

And here's a showcase of stuffs you can achieve with unity 3D.

http://unity3d.com/showcase

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Be Able To Creat A Game by jacksam567: 2:31pm On Mar 28, 2015
kudaisi:
If you are talking about 3D games you don't necessarily have to use C++.
Here's my personal experience. I didn't neccasarily create a game but i did a simulation of some sort at work. and here what my workflow was like.
STEP 1: Create 3D models and rig them for movement (My personal favorite modelling tool is Cinema 4D look it up).
STEP 2: Import your 3D models into a platform like Unity Designer and create the game environment.
STEP 3: Write up some code that determines how the game responds to scenarios (With unity 3D I have a preference for C#).

Note that any other 3D modelling tool like Maya can be used in Step 1. Furthermore, creation of the models can be done in Unity 3D as well so you don't have to learn two platforms

here's a link to unity 3d scripting http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules/beginner/scripting
And here is an intro tutorials on Code Project http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/876015/UNITY-D-Game-Programming-Introduction

And here's a showcase of stuffs you can achieve with unity 3D.

http://unity3d.com/showcase

is that all I need
Re: I Want To Be Able To Creat A Game by jacksam567: 2:33pm On Mar 28, 2015
BlueMagnificent:

If that's what you think then you are definitely missing out... Do some research on c++ libraries, there are tones of them out there that you can use to accomplish more that a mere command line app. Game engines, which can assist yo in making games, are part of these libraries. Google is your friend smiley

please can you give me an example
Re: I Want To Be Able To Creat A Game by BlueMagnificent(m): 3:07pm On Mar 28, 2015
jacksam567:

please can you give me an example

Here are few Game Engines (all are not C++):

Unreal Engine
CryEngine
Panda3D
Unity3D (Mentioned above)
Urho3D
Neo Axis
Torque3D
Irrlicht
Ogre3D (rendering engine)
Blender Game Engine...

And a lot more
Re: I Want To Be Able To Creat A Game by Nobody: 5:38pm On Mar 28, 2015
^^^ which of these game engines were made in Nigeria.
Re: I Want To Be Able To Creat A Game by BlueMagnificent(m): 9:56pm On Mar 28, 2015
Febup:
^^^ which of these game engines were made in Nigeria.

None... Unfortunately none of them were made by a single "country" but by "people" from diverse countries collaborating together to bring a project to life as is evident in the Open Source game engines listed above
Re: I Want To Be Able To Creat A Game by Nobody: 10:03pm On Mar 28, 2015
BlueMagnificent:

None... Unfortunately none of them were made by a single "country" but by "people" from diverse countries collaborating together to bring a project to life as is evident in the Open Source game engines listed above

But someone or a group of people still owns the software licence in one country.

Comparison of free and open-source software licenses:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_free_and_open-source_software_licenses
Re: I Want To Be Able To Creat A Game by Nobody: 10:21pm On Mar 28, 2015
Some tips in creating a game.
Spark- www.spark.tools/
Twine- www.twinery.org
StoryNexus- www.storynexus.com
www.visionaire-studio.net
www.inform7.com
2d games
Gamemaker- www.yoyogames/studio.com
Stencly - www.stencly.com
www.unity3d.com
www.Eclipse.org
Basic information :u need to learn power point, c++, coral draw , instant artist, create sound and others.
Source :wiki how
Re: I Want To Be Able To Creat A Game by Nobody: 11:02pm On Mar 28, 2015
Download GameGuru

You must check out the latest and best game creator GameGuru. It allows anyone to make their own games. We've packed an amazing amount of new technology into GameGuru and we continue to evolve it.

App Game Kit - code your own apps!

Another great tool is App Game Kit. With this you can code in BASIC or C++ to create your own games for mobile devices. Imagine coding a game and then seeing it on your Android or iOS device. Well with AGK you can do this. Visit the site for more info and check out the free trial version. Download GameSalad Creator for free to get the world’s fastest game design engine and cross-platform publishing tool. Learn to make and publish hit games on iPhone, iPad, Android, Tizen, Mac, Windows 8 & HTML5. Drag and drop. No coding required. Download GameMaker: Studio caters to entry-level novices and seasoned game development professionals equally, allowing them to create cross-platform games in record time and at a fraction of the cost of conventional tools!

In addition to making game development 80 percent faster than coding for native languages, developers can create fully functional prototypes in just a few hours, and a full game in just a matter of week
Unity 5 is the new edition of the best development platform for creating 2D/3D games and interactive experiences. Unity 5 brings you awesome new artistic power. Improved efficiency makes the hard work smoother and more fun, and with the industry’s most comprehensive multiplatform support, you can now launch your game on 21 platforms. The RPG Maker series allows you to customize every aspect of your game with an easy to use interface, making it perfect for beginners, while being powerful enough for experts. Unleash the power of RPG Maker to create your own RPG Masterpiece!
Source: Google
Re: I Want To Be Able To Creat A Game by jacksam567: 12:39am On Mar 29, 2015
Basic information :u need to learn power point, c++, coral draw , instant artist, create sound and others
I don't understand how power point have to do with creating games.
Re: I Want To Be Able To Creat A Game by BlueMagnificent(m): 3:38am On Mar 29, 2015
Febup:

But someone or a group of people still owns the software licence in one country.

Comparison of free and open-source software licenses:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_free_and_open-source_software_licenses

Well, that will be the case if you are creating your own licenses, if you as a creator choose to use one of the popular Open Source licenses like BSD, GPL, LGPL, MIT (etc) I don't see how it binds your country to the software
Re: I Want To Be Able To Creat A Game by Nobody: 4:55am On Mar 29, 2015
BlueMagnificent:

Well, that will be the case if you are creating your own licenses, if you as a creator choose to use one of the popular Open Source licenses like BSD, GPL, LGPL, MIT (etc) I don't see how it binds your country to the software

All the game engines above are owned by Companies based in a country, except for OGRE which has 20 active team members in 9 countries, but still Torus Knot Software Ltd owns the Copyright.

Unreal Engine - is a game engine developed by Epic Games

CryEngine - is a game engine designed by the German game developer Crytek

Panda3D - Developer(s) Disney until 2010 Carnegie Mellon University since 2010

Unity - developed by Unity Technologies

Neo Axis - developed by NeoAxis Group Ltd

Torque3D - originally developed by Dynamix, now owned by GarageGames

Irrlicht - development began in 2003 with only one developer, Nikolaus Gebhardt http://www.irrlicht3d.org/impressum.html#aboutme

Blender - Developed by Blender Foundation, Amsterdam. Headquarters Netherlands

Ogre3D - developed by The OGRE Team: 20 Currently Active Development Team Members: Location: Israel, USA, Germany,Austria, Argentina, Germany, UK,
China and Netherlands.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/

(1) (Reply)

Anyone Currently Focusing On Data Structures And Algorithms? / Chinedu Daniel (andela Programmer) Creates Chrome Extension For Nairaland / How Can I Open A File With .dat.pgp : Please Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.